Awoo.

Sonic Colours: New Wii/DS game

Remy

Hey since we know the US name is "colors" why does the board still have the italian name "colours"?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Hey since we know the US name is "colors" why does the board still have the italian name "colours"?

This is UK a website. We spell it 'colours' over here, as do most places that aren't the USA.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

But higher ratings doesn't always determine if the game will be good or not. Look at Unleashed HD; critically panned by many sources (lower than '06 in some cases), but heralded by most fans as being more of what they wanted and enjoyed.

I rather like what I see as far as the Wii version is concerned. In theory, it all sounds rather promising; I'd like to remain hopeful.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm starting to think the DS version will turn out better than the Wii version.

I thought that way from the beginning.

But higher ratings doesn't always determine if the game will be good or not. Look at Unleashed HD; critically panned by many sources (lower than '06 in some cases), but heralded by most fans as being more of what they wanted and enjoyed.

I rather like what I see as far as the Wii version is concerned. In theory, it all sounds rather promising; I'd like to remain hopeful.

No, of course they don't. It's just that the handhelds tend to be preferred by most. Personally, I hugely enjoy Unleashed 360 over the Rush games, which I also love. Colours is lacking the biggest problem with the console titles though, and that's alternate gameplay. The Wii version could send the DS version crying to it's mummy.

Epic as crap!

I'm really excited for this! Anyone getting a "Plant Kingdom- from Sonic Rush Adventure" vibe from the trailer though?

When I first saw this, and saw the models, (and Tails in general), I thought "Colors" was a codename for Unleashed 2 or something, before seeing "Wii/DS." Then I realized that this was a whole new game.

The new renders for this game basically strike me as perfect examples of the angles from which the new design just falls apart visually, where it looses any sense of visual speed or agility.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

I'm hoping that Jim Sterling spills the beans on these "good things" he's heard on the new episode of Sega Addicts, which is recording tonight.

He didn't.

Edited by Phos

Okay, so this evening I've been playing Unleashed Wii. I came a across a vertical wall in Dragon Road with these speed boosters to make you up run up it. Somehow I managed to avoid some of them and realised something terrible. If Sonic isn't moving fast on a vertical surface, he'll begin turn around and run down. But, if you keep a hold of forward, then he'll grind to a halt, take a step and then fall again. You can repeat this any number of times. They're abysmal physics. Plus he controls like a racecar. WAT?! They had really better fix this for the Wii release of Colours (assuming it's the same engine being used) or else the DS version will be the only good one.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

^ On the upside, at least he doesn't go break-dancing into the abyss by coming in contact with... pretty much ANYTHING! I'll take Unleashed Wii's "terrible" physics over Sonic 2006's ANY DAY.

• Thumbs Up 1

In 06 it felt like the entire world was on giant ice rink, and Sonic was wearing anti-gravity boots. They were broken physics. In Unleashed Wii the physics weren't broken, but they're utter shit. There's zero chance of this game being like 06 in that way though.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem with the physics in Sonic 06 was that momentum didn't carry AT ALL. You could essentially move at 2 set jump speeds.

You could jump from a standstill and hold the analog stick once you're in air, which did almost fuck-all and had no real useful function. What you'd be doing most of the time though is doing a "moving jump", where you move through the air at a set speed that can't be stopped or even really slowed at all- and it doesn't matter how fast you were even going before you left the ground. If you jumped when only barely nudging the analog stick, you could clear the exact same amount of distance than if you were to jump while running at a full sprint. It's why so many of us probably found ourselves making little loops in the air with the analog stick because it's often the only way to ensure you don't overshoot a jump.

Unleashed Wii's physics and controls worked well enough in the 3D portions, but the 2D portions felt considerably sloppier. I seriously hope that's improved upon for this game, since 2D is apparently going to be a focus... it wouldn't completely ruin it if it wasn't, but it'd be a considerable disappointment. They've got a whole half of Unleashed's gameplay that they don't have to worry about; surely they can find the resources to tighten up the half they're using. If they are using it, that is.

Edited by Octarine

I'd disagree, they're weren't good regardless of the situation. Sonic can never turn properly, which results in very restricted movement without the drift. This terrible when you're moving at low speeds, because you can't drift and still have to walk in a circle to go the other way. In 2D there's the exact same problem. And that's what worrying me. I assume this was mostly intentional design to be honest, because the game is like a racer more than anything else. Even so, it was poorly executed. They only really 'worked' when going at top speed, and at a guess I'd say you need to stop running fairly often with the Wisp powers in Colours. Hopefully it'll be off-rails and designed to be played with slower segments in mind.

I'd disagree, they're weren't good regardless of the situation. Sonic can never turn properly, which results in very restricted movement without the drift. This terrible when you're moving at low speeds, because you can't drift and still have to walk in a circle to go the other way. In 2D there's the exact same problem. And that's what worrying me. I assume this was mostly intentional design to be honest, because the game is like a racer more than anything else. Even so, it was poorly executed. They only really 'worked' when going at top speed, and at a guess I'd say you need to stop running fairly often with the Wisp powers in Colours. Hopefully it'll be off-rails and designed to be played with slower segments in mind.

It was hard to recover from a slip-up in the 3D segments without taking a year to do it, sure, but otherwise I found that they worked tolerably well. The 3D portions of the day stages clearly weren't trying to play much like a Sonic game, so I'll forgive them for that. I found the 2D segments considerably worse because they slowed everything right down and demanded that the player suddenly do platforming. The flaw was always there, but the 2D segments made it much more apparent. It's obviously an issue that ought to be fixed outright and not worked around, but if they're not going to bother (and I wouldn't put it past 'em, despite my overall optimism), I'd like them to at least work around it rather than plowing ahead and constructing the levels as if they had fixed it.

I think what made the 2D segments especially irritating for me was that you could see behind Sonic, which made it tempting to try turning around... which is absolutely the most frustrating thing in the entire game, particularly in 2D. It's like reversing a tractor trailer, I swear to god.

Edited by Octarine

I only played Unwiished for a bit using a save file I downloaded, but I recall it being tricky to control and making up for it by being ridiculously forgiving in most areas with little that could actually hurt you. It actually kind of reminded me of Sonic R handling in a way, where he has a limited rate of rotation but he'll hit that limit instantly, there was no real smoothing taking place. In some ways, this is even worse than Sonic 06's controls, but the environments offered fewer ways to die which probably makes it better overall. I also remembered that the environments seemed kinda dead, not even PS1 games felt so sterile.

This game is being made by the team behind the storybook game, right? I realized that the only mechanics those games have in common to Sonic's previous games are the homing attack, the grind, and speed boosters. I really hope they do something different, and they kind of have to after SatBK's sales.

...have I missed something here? Has it actually been confirmed that Unwiished and Colours are using the same engine, or are we still going off the same "insofar as 2D/3D perspective changes is concerned" from the early announcements?

Because I'm seeing a lot of comparisons that... honestly, from what I've seen, really don't hold much water at this stage. Unleashed movement and physics is a bit wierd compared to other games, sure, I'll give everyone that, but we don't even know whether they use the same mechanics, let alone the same engine. We just know it moves from 2D to 3D.

Wow, so much negativity in this thread. D:

I'm honestly surprised that people had such a lot of trouble with Unleashed Wii when I honestly found it to be fairly easy to get the hang of. I do agree that Sonic may handle a bit like a race car to an extent but then Sonic IS a super fast hedgehog so maybe he COULD handle like that, plus you still have the drift for taking on sharp corners.

Remember: Unleashed Wii was thrown together to emulate the HD version; it was never properly tightened up or refined enough. It's not exactly on my top list of games with bad controls or physics to moan about though, in all honesty.

Forgive me, I threw this together before work. I'll correct any discrepancies later.

Edited by Cipher Admin Xavious

Okay, I'm sure this has been mentioned before (and quite frankly, I'm not going to check through the insane number of pages I've missed in order to find out if it hasn't! Topic moves too damn fast!), but just in case it hasn't, most sites are listing the game for an October 29th release.

Okay, I'm sure this has been mentioned before (and quite frankly, I'm not going to check through the insane number of pages I've missed in order to find out if it hasn't! Topic moves too damn fast!), but just in case it hasn't, most sites are listing the game for an October 29th release.

Yep, already linked all UK sites listing the game a two pages back and news'd them on the front page :P

Amazon 24th September, as mentioned by someone even further back -

Wii: £30.99

DS: £25.99

Oh well, I tried! :lol:

I'm not sure this'll be the final release date, anyway. Well, maybe Oct/ Nov, but the September one seems a bit close.

Incidentally, why oh why do Sonic games never come out in summer anymore? That's another reason I'm majorly irked at Sonic 4's delay until the end of the year.

Edited by Mahzes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh well, I tried! :lol:

I'm not sure this'll be the final release date, anyway. Well, maybe Oct/ Nov, but the September one seems a bit close.

Incidentally, why oh why do Sonic games never come out in summer anymore? That's another reason I'm majorly irked at Sonic 4's delay until the end of the year.

Yeah, you know how our UK retailers like to predict release dates and end up being far apart from eachother like in this case :lol:

I'm surprised no U.S. retailers are listing the game yet, tried some Australian, French, German and Spanish retailers too but nothing. Also shocked, GAME, Gamestation, Gameplay, ShopTo and Argos aren't listing it in the UK yet.

Would you rather they'd rushed it out without fixing any of the problems that were highlighted? I mean, I totally get that it would be great to have a Sonic game to play over the summer... but being irked that they're actually listening to fans and fixing things seems kinda counter-productive to me.

For the same reasons, I hope that the Colours team doesn't rush this. I'd rather wait a bit longer for a real good well-produced game (even if that means delays), than one that comes out early but is full of bugs, glitches and poor gameplay (:

• Thumbs Up 2

It seems that for all the major releases, they want the game out for Christmas. Shadow, the Rushes, the Rivalses, Unleashed and 06... it's the best time of year for releasing games that draw in kids. And if not then, then it's Q1. SEGA relies on Sonic games an awful lot, so the release dates are likely to be more stringent than other games. They're probably going to have to work the S4 and Colours releases so that they don't clash.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is a shame there aren't any Sonic games released before/during the summer now but that's not too bad for me as I still have a few games left to complete. I've barely touched my Wii/PS3/DS this year so after my final exam tomorrow, I intend to finish the games still on my list.

I might even buy Sonic 06 (don't judge, I really want to see what it's like for myself - I liked ShTH and Heroes afterall so I'm expecting to not hate this :lol: ).

But um..yeah..exam..revision: "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!!" (Eggman quote - I don't agree, I just wish SEGA had released the details on Colours after I had finished my exams :P so don't hate)

• Thumbs Up 1

Would you rather they'd rushed it out without fixing any of the problems that were highlighted? I mean, I totally get that it would be great to have a Sonic game to play over the summer... but being irked that they're actually listening to fans and fixing things seems kinda counter-productive to me.

For the same reasons, I hope that the Colours team doesn't rush this. I'd rather wait a bit longer for a real good well-produced game (even if that means delays), than one that comes out early but is full of bugs, glitches and poor gameplay (:

However, if anything they would be rushing the game to get it out in time for the holiday season. It's a well known fact that the holidays boost sales so most companies want to get their product out there around that time no matter the cost. There really is no reason to rush a summer release though.