Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

Oh, Lawdy!

It's no big surprise that Pokemon is getting a little...stale. There, we said it. Even those of us who are actually big fans of the series are starting to get fed up with how slowly the series is progressing. Instead of writing an article saying the game needs a complete overhaul with a new real-time battle system and 3D everything, we decided to go for the more realistic route (plus Jack DeVries wrote that article already).

We opened the topic up to the readers, and based on what they said compiled a list of the most common complaints with the Pokemon series -- the ones that are actually pretty small and easy to fix. Pay attention Nintendo and GameFreak. This is your fanbase talking, and we really think you ought to listen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better Story

We're really getting tired of the "young kid gets a Pokemon, fights a bad guy team, earns 8 badges, beats the Elite Four, the end" scenario. It's not even cliche at this point. It makes the game feel like it's beating a dead Horsea (or is that a dead Ponyta?). Mix it up, please. We're practically begging you here.

"I've personally always wanted the game to go on after you become the Champion, since there's a lot to do in the game after the plot ends...why not keep the story going?" - ChibiMichiba

That's a good point, too. We don't want to be done after the Elite Four. Granted, in HeartGold/SoulSilver you keep battling and then return to the Elite Four. But what if it was set up more like the Battle Frontier? Make us keep actively playing, forced to defend our title. Maybe you could export the team over Wi-Fi and when someone beats it you have to go back and re-earn your title, keeping your skills sharp.

Everybody Hates HMs

In the beginning there were only five basic HMs to be found in Pokemon Red/Blue: Flash, Cut, Surf, Strength, and Fly. Back then, the fact that the weak HM moves ate up a valuable slot in your Pokemon's abilities didn't seem like a big deal. After all, there were only five, and you could realistically have all of them in your party.

Then, something happened. Nintendo snapped and went crazy with the HM idea. Now, the newer versions like SoulSilver/HeartGold demoted Flash to a TM, but they added Whirlpool, Waterfall, Rock Smash and Rock Climb for a total of eight HMs. Eight. More than the amount of Pokemon you're allowed to have in your party. Call us old fashioned, but that seems like a lot of terrible moves to force upon your beloved Pokemon.

Now, we understand that HMs provide an easy medium to guide the player through the world, but why do they have to be attack moves? A few HMs could be easily eliminated by transforming them into items, like a blade you could wield to cut down bushes, rock climbing shoes you could wear to scale mountainsides or a giant hammer you could smash rocks with. As for the HMs that make sense (Fly, Strength, Surf) for your Pokemon to learn, they should only be performable outside of battle. Oh, sorry Waterfall and Whirlpool, did we forget you? No offense, but that's because you're completely useless 99 percent of the time.

There are several different ways that Nintendo could fix the HM spam problem, and we hope they find a decent solution in the upcoming Black/White versions. IGN user onra_kid6 has some suggestion, both of which we've seen repeated from numerous other players.

"Every Pokemon has an "outside battle slot" that can't be used in battle but can outside. Or Pokemon have a "move pool". When they learn moves either by leveling up or with a TM it is added to the pool and you pick your 4 moves from there, but it can only be changed outside battle."-- onra_kid6

Flying Eevee

Eevee can already evolve into Fire, Electric, Water, Ice, Grass, Psychic and Dark types, so why do we want a flying one? The most obvious reason is that it would be awesome. The second reason is that people (or at least Kristine Steimer) want a team solely comprised of Eevee evolutions and it's hard to achieve that when none of them can fly.

Seriously, Fly is one of the most useful abilities in the entire game, and it sucks that you have to stick a bird or other winged creature in your party that's not nearly as cute as an Eevee would be. Can you imagine traveling the world on the back of your Pegasus-like Eevee? It'd be fantastic. Just don't make it look like the creepy flying dog from Never Ending Story and we'll be good.

No More Geodudes

As sure as the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening, as sure as apples is apples, as sure as kids of a certain age will try to eat anything given to them, when you enter a cave in any Pokemon game, you will see Geodude and you will see Zubat. Why? Why, after fifteen years, do we still see these two Pokemon? Are there really no other animals that live in caves? Geodude is a ball with arms, and Zubat is a regular freakin' bat. Are they really that hard to replace?

We bet you could ask a thousand people what their favorite Pokemon is and none of them will say either Geodude or Zubat, and you know why? Because they are the two most annoying Pokemon in existence. Now, we're not advocating a geo-bat genocide (although we're not necessarily opposed to it, either), we're just saying that perhaps we can skip these two for a generation. Put something else in those caves. Maybe make a glow-worm Pokemon, or a moss Pokemon, or a stale-air Pokemon, or make another rock-type (like a stalagmite/tite combo!). We don't care. Just no more Geodude or Zubat, it's time to give them a break.

Every Region

Second only to people complaining about how much they hate HMs were the requests for multiple regions. It was great to see that feature come back in HeartGold/SoulSilver and we want it to stay back. Some readers want the ability to select a region to start in and work through the game like that so that there are different stories. There's definitely an appeal to that, and it would open up the pool of starter Pokemon and encourage trading. Honestly we'd be happy with just getting to earn 32-40 badges, even if it is still a linear game.

Expanded Multiplayer

"More multiplayer elements. I think it would be great if, after you've registered someone, you can hook up with them via Wi-Fi and run around the world together. You could explore a route together, battle at any time, and have 2-on-2 matches with trainers." --TotalOverflow

"MMO-like content: the Wi-Fi Plaza is interesting, the Underground was a step in the right direction and the GenIII bases were amazing. Mix those together and exploit them (Co-op plaza?)" - LPArty2

Pokemon is, in large part, a very solitary game. Sure you can trade and battle other people, but you have to go out of your way to do it. The last couple games have created these multiplayer environments, like Underground tunnels, or the amusement park-like Wi-Fi Plaza, and those are great. We want to see GameFreak expand on those, make us feel like there are other people in the world. Animal Crossing let people on your friends list come into your town -- could Pokemon theoretically allow our friends to wander through our region, steal our berries, catch our Pokemon, and find and battle us?

Better PC Box

We're having trouble believing that Bill is a Pokemon genius because the PC he designed is a piece of garbage. Seriously dude, what's with this interface? Why do we have to pick between withdraw, deposit, or move Pokemon? Why can't it just be one screen that let's us swap Pokemon around as we see fit.

You know what else we want to be able to do from our PC Box? Trade! Our readers agree, too. The trade system is so broken and restrictive. It takes freaking forever to trade, you have to make sure you have everything perfect before you go into this special room, and the actual trade takes an eternity. At the very least we should be able to open up the PC and have a much broader selection of Pokemon to trade with.

I hear the new Macs are way better for storing Pokemon than a PC.

Customizable Trainer/Pokemon

"I would like to see customizable trainers. I think it would be nice for the player to choose how they want their trainer to look in the game." --Silverflyer

"I'd like to see headbands, scarfs, and items on my Pokemon. Add a dye-making mechanic with the current berries/apricots. Let us dye our Pokemon, maybe." --JediDex

It seems like a small feature, but a surprising amount of readers (and Jack DeVries) really want to customize their Pokemon experience. And why shouldn't they? We all play as the same boy or girl, and all of our Pokemon look exactly the same! It's boring. It wouldn't be hard to have some really simple hair and clothing options for the character, or better yet, have the player earn the customization in the game. That haircut place in Goldenrod is for Pokemon? Screw that, give us a makeover! Plus, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum already feature the ability to dress up your Pokemon for the Super Contest. Why can't that carry over into the battle? Seeing a Salamence in a top hat would be hilarious, right before he destroys our entire team.

More Evolutions

"More (useful) stage 3 evolutions for Pokemon families that don't have them yet would be appreciated"--k.k.slider25

"Certain Pokemon like Farfetch'd and a few others are long overdue for a much needed evolution." -masterchef1337

It seems like the fans of the series really want to see more evolved forms of the current Pokemon, instead of a lot of brand new ones. There are plenty of Pokemon out there without a 3rd, or even 2nd stage of evolution. Which is not to say all Pokemon need to evolve (let's just forget Luvdisc even exists), but we'd like to see some of our favorite Pokemon be able to evolve and stay strong enough to keep on the team.

Make it Look and Sound Better!

This is a no brainer here, Nintendo and GameFreak. How many times do people need to say they hate the bad 8-bit Pokemon cries and lack of Pokemon animation before you listen? Now, sorry folks, there are already screens out that show that Pokemon battles won't be 3D. And director Junichi Masuda has said he doesn't want to use the anime's sounds for the game. But that doesn't mean that either of these things can't improve. We want our Pokemon to move and we want them to sound like actual animals, and we don't think that's too much to ask.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article is already way too long, and we could keep going on and on and on about what we (and you) want in the new Pokemon game. So keep telling us. Hit up the comments below and suggest more improvements to the series. Off the top of our heads a few obvious choices we didn't hit on:

The ability to gift Pokemon.

Trade items only.

Increase the level of wild Pokemon in already visited areas.

Being able to use your Pokedex in battle (Ash does it all the time!).

We know you've got more, so hit us up and let the world know how you would change Pokemon.

IGN, I am dissapoint IMO.

I'm on board with the better story and customize stuff.

But "every region"? What the hell? Oh yeah, that's what we want in sequels, to play the same levels from the last game all over again. It was a nice extra in Gold and Silver, but I don't feel I need to revisit Hoenn and Sinnoh again.

And what the hell is the problem with the Pokemon cries all the reviewers are complaining about? They're distinct and give each Pokemon character and uniqueness. Oh but I guess they'd rather hear boring real life animal noises, or, heaven forbid, the Pokemon say their names over and over again, which is ten times more annoying than any 8-bit sfx.

But this is typical of IGN. Inbetween all their crappy reviews, they release ten compliant articles about what's wrong with video games, and then immediately demonstrate that they're not the ones that have the answers to fix said problems, which begs the question of why they should be allowed to write these articles in the first place.

What time does Pokémon Sunday show in GMT? Curious to see if they tease anything else.

OH I WANT TO SEE THOSE BITCHIN PIXELS

It nice that, even if the battle scenes still suck, the Pokémon will be more than cardboard cutouts now. I hope they have proper fainting animations, too. Falling off the screen doesn't cut is anymore.

Well, guys. Pokemon Sunday showed 3 different vids. One was the Zoroark fight. Another was starters battling each other. And the last one was the City's market area.

New info at Pokebeach:

Pokemon Sunday just finished airing Pokemon Black and White videos, which were based off the screenshots revealed in CoroCoro magazine and the official Pokemon website this past week. All that we have learned is below, and we'll try to upload a video later. The show also revealed a new Ruler of Illusions: Zoroark trailer, which we will also try to post later.

Pokemon battles are much more dynamic - the camera moves around and zooms in and out and the Pokemon are not just standing there with one picture hopping up and down. Rather, the sprites are constantly animated.

Zorua and Zoroark's Illusion ability does not change their Darkness type. When encountering them, they use the sprite of the Pokemon they are imitating and their name as well, though we still do not know how it is determined what Pokemon they imitate. We also don't know yet how to figure out you are battling a disguised Zorua or Zoroark. Perhaps they can only use their own moves, and once you see a Claw Sharpen coming out of an Oddish, you'll think it's a Zorua or Zoroark. And of course they transform back into themselves during the battle, though we don't know what the requirements are for this yet (Hit them with an attack? Weaken them?). In one of the previous screenshots, Raikou used Aura Sphere against Zoroark, which is super effective, so maybe only super effective attacks will cause them to reveal themselves?

When you run by people, they can talk to you without you hitting A on them.

Bold is one of my favs.

Edited by Sinnoh

Lord knows how they'll be able to fit multiple spritea for 500+ Pokemon on one cart though, even more when you consider formes and gender difference.

Can't wait to get some high quality footage. VERY impressed at Pokémon Sunday for showing so much this week... very unlike them.

Two sets of battle footage and some city footage too, lovely.

Just saw the battle footage more smoothly, fuck it looks amazing.

If many Pokémon miss out on this thanks to all the animated sprites, I'm gonna be pretty upset though. I hope there's an international dex... I need to see all Pokémon with this amazing animation.

Goddamn I love Wotter and Crispybacon.

Smugleaf can get fucked, unless he evolves into Gex.

Edited by Columind

Holy shit. Consider my mind officially blown.

I don't know if I've ever been this impressed by a Pokémon game ever.... the sprites are bad quality, but holy crap I don't care. The animation the animation!!!

HOLY SHIT.

EDIT: From other people's reactions I feel I may have overreacted.

*Watches video again*

Nope, definitely not.

Edited by SuperLink

I've narrowed my choice of starters to Pignite and Wotter... Tsutaaja is just so popular. I wouldn't dare conform! :P (Plus he doesn't look like he'll evolve into anything particularly interesting)

Really nice to see Pokémon Sunday reveal so much. The animations look wonderful. The battles in general do. The marketplace looks a little odd though... those are some damn speedy people! And what, are they just shouting at you? Who does that?!

I GUESS WE'LL HAVE TO STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT.

Also in the starter vid at 0:55, Shoko-tan points and laughs at Wotter's chestpenis. Hurp.

Ooh, ooh! Battle music! It sounds a little Generation III-ish, from what I can tell. I'm getting the impression that this generation's going to have a lot in common with Generation III, actually, what with the sort of weird region (albeit in a totally different way than Hoenn). I expect a similar level of polarization over the monster designs, though that's just intuition at this point.

Anyway, I'm definitely impressed by this. The only thing that was missing was fainting animations, and the way it was cut means we still might get those. So, yeah. Awesome.

whhhaaattt

alright, I can trade some lower quality sprites for constant animation.

Shit looks fucking awesome.

Also yeah Isshu or whatever is America. People constantly running? Talking while walking quickly? Everyone has a suit? IS THAT A HOT DOG VENDOR.

That shit is so fucking New York you cannot deny.

• Thumbs Up 1

After watching the videos I can see how the animation works now, the sprites are separated into like animation cel-esque sections and then each part is animated separately. I doubt each Pokemon actually uses more than 3 sprites but the effect it gives is phenomenal, my hype meter is going through the roof at the moment.

I'm abit indifferent to everybody running around you shouting things, I hope its only for one area rather than the entire game.

Okay I've had a chance to calm down now, I'm gonna express a few thoughts.

Right, I kinda doubt they'll ditch a good amount of the previous 493 Pokémon, considering we can transfer them from Gen IV. With any luck the entire cast will be available either through catching or via PalPark alike. That means we can see shitloads of Pokémon with quite frankly incredible animation, the battles are going to be brilliant, every single one is going to be lovely looking. The health bars go down much quicker, it's streamlined, and from the "catch method" required for Zoroark, I bet there will be certain battles with gimmicks.

Holy shit guys, this is where Pokémon changes, big time. The future of the franchise is an amazing one, one that will continue to make me act like a child forever out of sheer excitement.

And I'm totally ok with it. :3

/feelgood post.

• Thumbs Up 2

That shit is so fucking New York you cannot deny.

New York!

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of!

There's nothing you can't do!

Now you're in New York!

These streets will make you feel brand new!

The lights will inspire you!

Let's hear it for New York, New York, New Yo--

..Anyway. The new battle animations and town footage seem really nice. I just can't for the life of me like the any of new starters outside of the grass one. The fire one is okay. At the very least it's tolerable and kind of cute, but the water starter just looks like a nightmare of Pokemon design to me. I just pray that it evolves into something amazing.

I feel a little dirty to say this but....

... I'm actually impressed by this. Good show, Game Freak. *applauds*

Here's to Pokemon; hopefully meaning they'll take a step towards the future with much more improvements. Now, to improve the Pokemon designs.... :P

Edited by Azukara

Lord knows how they'll be able to fit multiple spritea for 500+ Pokemon on one cart though, even more when you consider formes and gender difference.

These are sprites.

They can deal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

but the water starter just looks like a nightmare of Pokemon design to me. I just pray that it evolves into something amazing.

Now, to improve the Pokemon designs.... :P

You guys are so tsundere for new Pokémon~ ¦3

I still really hope they get new sprites. Even if Entei's sprite has lovely animation I'm not exactly ecstatic with it reusing D/P/P sprites.

Battle sequences and music look awesome! I honestly think that the new starters don't look that bad. I'll be picking the fire starter myself since I like fire types a lot.

Holy shit, that's fucking amazing.

I'm not too impressed by the back sprites being resized like in R/B/G/Y, or the people running around, but the battles look amazing.

I suddenly want to import this ASAP.