Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

Apparently more footage of the game play was leaked from somewhere, although there's no battle footage included, it does cover more of the "city" which we saw earlier from Pokemon Sunday. I don't know why the hell they insist on giving 5-7 second leaks in terms of game play footage, it's very hard to tell anything of substance from them.

I've been looking and trying to find the source of the vid but the uploader doesn't have much info. However, just judging from the footage shown, I'd say it's legit. Here are my thoughts so far.

-The uploader has the footage play at the start and then stuffs the rest of the vid with pointless crap and old screenies and trailer shots which he stretches for three minutes, so there's no point in watching after like 0:40.

-The sound quality is bad, so it's difficult to make out the music, however, it sounds really upbeat and modern, it somewhat reminds me of the soundtrack from "The World Ends With You" in a way, just without the vocals of course.

-STILL no sign of the running shoes like I had hoped, although the chance of them not being there is low, still, I'd like to see some confirmation that they're still there.

-They walk past one of those cars in the city but the person doesn't interact with em, which makes me a bit unsure in thinking you can ride them. However, it is still possible.

-It ends just when he's going into the Pokemon Center, which is a big tease in itself. >_>

-And apparently there IS a camera angle feature, as when he stops by the car, it turns to his left without him moving. Unless the camera is set to auto-turn when he stops, the player must have been controlling it, which is good because with how detailed these cities are looking, no camera change would be painful. However, this is really making me think that it'll be compatible with the 3DS, the pixels were still sharp, and just from how fluid the turning was, it looks like it's just begging to be put on the 3DS.

-And as I said before, nothing too much different from the footage earlier, just shows him doing more of the city exploring, no footage of the bottom screen either, or battle, and sound is fucked, so it's difficult to tell the truly important stuff. This looks promising though, I'm glad that we can finally confirm that you can change the camera angle. Link here due to Noir's demand, I also embedded it below.

• Thumbs Up 7

Erm, I'm confused. If you watched the video can't you provide a link? Sounds interesting anyway.

EDIT: OHOHO I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

FUCK OFF, ICEMAN.

Edited by Noir
  • Thumbs Up 4

I love this forum! :D

Nice find Iceman! This is definately going to be the first pokemon game that I've played since Gold!

• Thumbs Up 1

Slow Noir was SLOOOOW.

Also is that the main theme in the video? Would be awesome, especially if it played through the entire game. Looping.

Damn you Rick Astley!

Anyway, from the 3 seconds of footage we saw, the spite scaling in the city is horrible. They could've at least made some small versions of the sprites. I just hope that the camera angle can be changed.

Now that I think about this, Pokemon Black and White is very like Sonic 4. First there is a shillouette of something relating to the game released, then it is revealed (albeit in this case it wasn't at the same time as the trailer) and 3 seconds of gameplay are released. Let's just hope the whole game isn't leaked. =P

Slow Noir was SLOOOOW.

Well hey, I though he really did see a video and was just posting that for bonus lulz. :(

Well hey, I though he really did see a video and was just posting that for bonus lulz. :(

No u didn't. U slow.

Anyway, I hope you have some sort of COOL looking starters now, Nintendo. DPPt failed with Fireass, Grass-Squirtle, and Penguinator.

Edited by Nathan Speed

Anyway, I hope you have some sort of COOL looking starters now, Nintendo. DPPt failed with Fireass, Grass-Squirtle, and Penguinator.

Hey, they weren't all bad, Torterra and Piplup especially were great.

But other than that I kinda agree. Starters haven't been all that cool since Gen 2 (and this is coming from a guy whose favourite Gen for monsters is Gen 3)

Chimchar and its evos were awesome.

You can never go wrong with a Mudkip.

Edited by Torcano

But other than that I kinda agree. Starters haven't been all that cool since Gen 2 (and this is coming from a guy whose favourite Gen for monsters is Gen 3)

D:<

I personally think that overall the starters have actually improved. I personally dislike the Bulbasaur, Chikorita and Cyndaquil evolution lines as well as thinking some of the 2nd evolved forms (Namely Charmeleon, Wartortle and Croconaw) aren't so cool looking either.

Gen1 had the best ones, as it's the only generation in which I like every starter. With Gen2, Cyndaquil and Totodile are groovy, but the Chikorita line is meh, and Totodile's evolutions make me cry.

All of the Gen3 starters and their evolutions were atrocious. Only Treecko is cool, and its evolutions are dreadful.

Torterra is awesome, honestly I like it just as much as Venusaur/Blastoise/Charizard. And it's brilliant that it's part Ground-type, it's the best Pokémon I've given Earthquake to yet.

Gen1 had the best ones, as it's the only generation in which I like every starter. With Gen2, Cyndaquil and Totodile are groovy, but the Chikorita line is meh, and Totodile's evolutions make me cry.

All of the Gen3 starters and their evolutions were atrocious. Only Treecko is cool, and its evolutions are dreadful.

I think opposite to a lot of this. Only Gen I like every starter is 2, I'm not a big fan of Bulba or Ivy anymore, I love Toto's evolutions, and Treecko is the only Gen 3 base starter I dislike xD (although I don't like Mudkip's evos very much at all)

Sceptile has grown on me though.

I thought Gen 3 had some of the best looking final evolutions, Blaziken was awesome looking and a damn good Pokemon. Sceptile was okay, best for the entire game though.

Torterra is okay, but Turtwig just seems like they bred Squirtle and Bulbasaur and it came out wrong.

160ou11.jpg

As you can see, I love me some gen 2 starters. Gen 3 was worst although Sceptile has bumped up to smile tier after I used it in Emerald.

Fire ass is still worst and fire back is still best.

Edited by Noir
  • Thumbs Up 2

160ou11.jpg

As you can see, I love me some gen 2 starters. Gen 3 was worst although Sceptile has bumped up to smile tier after I used it in Emerald.

Sceptile is damn good in Emerald.

I ported him over to SoulSilver however and oh my god all of his sprites suuuuck. Still a cool dude but they really halfassed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

That pic is mostly how I feel too, except I'd swap Empoleon and Sceptile, and maybe hate Empoleon a little more than that.

Also I don't like Meganium that much xD

But yeah I'd love if we got some awesome starters. Would be nice if we could get a fire starter that wasn't just something with a bit of fire on it for a change (more like Torchic I guess)

I'm going to be totally fucking lame and say Charizard is my fave overall.

But that's also because I love dragons and there are hardly any cool looking western-dragon Pokémon in the series.

Edited by SuperLink

Generation I's starters had great second forms, but Venusaur is the only third form of that generation that I really like. Generation II's starters were more of a mixed bag, but in general I think they were better. The only one I really don't like much is Typhlosion. Generation III's starters were all really good, I think; they're probably my favourites. Sceptile could maybe use a little less of a goddamn pine tree for a tail, but it's still probably my favourite final-form starter. Generation IV's starters were all... okay. Their final forms are all great, but their middle forms are all a bit bleh (especially Prinplup, eugh), and the only first form I really like is Turtwig.

So... yeah. I guess Generation III's my favourite, but it's pretty close. I'm not a huge fan of starters in general, though; I'm not sure why.

160ou11.jpg

Because I have nothing else to do, here's my opinions on the starters, using an edited version of that image since I am too lazy to am unsure on how to make my own visual representation.

tl2h.png

You can probably tell which is my favourite out of the 4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nobody likes Mudkipz?

I like Swampert as a Pokémon, and his official artwork (as in the anime) looks cool, but I can't stand his in-game sprites, excluding the 3D models from Colosseum and Battle Revolution. Game Freak made him look fat. D=

Other than him, my favorite starter is easily Charizard. Shiny Charizard looks awesome.

Oh, and I hate Infernape. Hate him a a lot. There's just something about it being a monkey with weird fur and fire coming out of its head. Makes me wonder if someone was listening to a tad too much Gorillaz when he/she created Infernape.

(Ooh-hoo, this isn't going to be popular. An amusing graphic isn't going to satisfy here, so I'll also be explaining my choices in detail.)

so_i_heard_velo_likes_these_starters.jpg

Let me explain. First off, my opinions of the starters have never been static, and this is my current opinion of them taking everything into account including the 4th Gen renovations and upgrades to the older starters. Being a sucker for high power (for a long time Mewtwo was one of my favourite Pokémon ever) my views analyse their appearance, their actual fighting prowess and my personal experiences with them. Soooo...

Venusaur - Rank 3 - I never used to like Venusaur; his moveset always felt wierd and he seemed to lack a lot of raw power. Plus his earlier sprites were fairly poor. Then in later Gens, he suddenly got kickass sprites and even more kickass moves. The addition of Sludge Bomb turned a corner for ol' Veenie, and now I'd stick him in a team any day. Skillsaur takes skill to use well.

Charizard - Rank 4 - Charizard is, was and forever will be fucking awesome. This was in fact the second starter I ever used (see below) and would probably still be my favourite even now. Unfortunately, the fact remains that these days he's been nerfed several times and he's never really gotten anything really awesome to make up for it since they gave him Fly. Still awesome as hell but can't manage top rank anymore. :(

Blastoise - Rank 2 - I still have bad memories caused by this guy... YOU'RE LEVEL 74 BLASTOISE WHY CAN'T YOU BEAT LANCE'S SHITTY POKÉMON AAAAAARGH *RAAAAAAAAGE* *RESTART GAME* ...BLASTOISE MADE MY 11-Y-O SELF RESTART POKÉMON RED. NEVER WILL HE BE FORGIVEN. (Even if in hindsight it's just because I was shit and didn't give Blastoise Ice Beam.) Despite that, Blastoise looks cool, and fills a very unusual niche for a Water type in that he's a physical attacker with good defenses and utility. Despite his crimes against my ancient Pokémon cartridges, nevertheless I have to grudgingly admit that he has a lot to offer. The fact I have all three Gen 1 starters at Lv 100 these days helps too.

Meganium - Rank 3 - Oh, Meganium, you look awesome, so why oh why are you so shit in combat? In fact you're probably the least powerful starter of the 12! Lame! In short, looks more awesome than it is, and that leaves me very sad. Rank 3 anyway because it looks that awesome. (whyyyyyyyyyyy)

Typhlosion - Rank 4 - Typhlosion is hardcore, and also scores bonus points for being the sole mono-Fire starter - even if mono-Fire isn't the best typing you could get, having a strong mono-Fire type option is still incredibly reassuring for me, I loves me some Fire-type ownage. Typhlosion is great but unfortunately for him he showed up in the same gen as...

Feraligatr - Rank 5 - I didn't realise how much I missed Feraligatr until I got the chance to use it again recently - and Gen 4 improved its moveset YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! Best Water starter, proudly flies the esteemed mono-Water sweeper flag with its excellent offensive potential (even doing good Special damage these days with the right nature like mine n_n ) and simply refuses to be 1-shot by anything that isn't an uber. On top of all that, Feraligatr just looks amazing. I want a real one. ;_;

Sceptile - Rank 0 - Ugh. What the hell is that even supposed to look like? Grovyle gets beaten hard with the ugly stick when it evolves and I took an instant dislike to its final form. The fact that it can actually perform impressively well these days hasn't made up for the fact that it sucked ass in Gen 3 as a physical-oriented Grass type. Ugh again. I also happen to have three of these little bastards and I don't think I'll ever finish training any of them just because I can't stand how they look. Sceptile sucks ass, moving on.

Blaziken - Rank 3 - Pokémon that feel flimsy bug me, which bumps Blaziken down a couple notches as unless my own one sucks (and indeed that may be possible) Blaziken's entire strategy is to beat the shit out of your opponent before they get chance to return the favour - and if they do prepare to be 1-shot. That aside, Chicken Warrior on fire, people. How is that not awesome? He's even more awesome these days with his entire moveset adjusted to be uber-physical and obsessed with quick suicidal kills in place of his rather flimsy Gen 3 moveset. Still, Battle Chicken? They'll never be able to improve on that concept...

Swampert - Rank 2 - Water/Ground as a type combination bugs me, because it gives it a really odd quad-weakness that makes it far too vulnerable to Pokémon that shouldn't be able to one-shot anything at all. Despite that this was actually one of the first Lv 100s I got out of Gen 3 so I had to enjoy raising him. He's actually impressively powerful on offense and defense if you remove Grass types from reality, and of course he's a fully-evolved Mudkip, and those I liked before it was even a meme. Still, Swampert looks a bit odd in-game and in official art, but not enough to really bug me unlike Sceptile.

Torterra - Rank 1 - I want to like Torterra but I can't - it manages to have the most boring starter design of Gen 4 despite the fact that it's a tortoise with a lake environment and a tree on its shell. How they managed to make that look not-awesome I'll never know but they did. Grass/Ground is a really odd and really interesting type combination though and Torterra can actually bring the pain in combat, so he can't be put in with the likes of Sceptile.

Infernape - Rank 5 - Battle Monkey on Fire. ...Winner. So long, Battle Chicken who is also On Fire. I recently picked up Platinum for the lulz and went with Chimchar as my starter this time around. A few days later and I have an Infernape with Close Combat smacking around almost everything in its way - Close Combat might as well be named "Own Noobs". Making me keep a 5PP offensive move on a levelling Pokémon for the first time ever earns Infernape major plus points. Kicking large portions of ass with massive style and pure awesomeness earns it even more. Then watching it win matches for me that I should have lost catapults it into the "OMFG MORE AWESOME THAN CHARIZARD" category. Fire/Fighting has turned out to be an awesome type combination (even if it is a little flimsy defensively) - and getting me to actually like a Pokémon that can feel flimsy at times further boosts Infernape's raw win. Infernape is just fucking cool, and the second best starter after Feraligatr.

Empoleon - Rank 3 - Being my Diamond starter, ol' Piply brings back many memories. Unfortunately my Empoleon sucks, which is a shame because the species as a whole is anything but suck. Getting a Steel type with literally no catching effort was a very impressive surprise the first time around, and it makes Empy rock at not dying from anything ever. Unfortunately offensively he's a lot more limited as Steel is balls offensively - Flash Cannon just sucks. :/ However, we're talking about a giant emperor penguin with a golden trident stuck on its face. Empoleon will fuck you up, and he looks awesome. If only it hadn't let me down so often. :/

(whew there we go)

• Thumbs Up 1

I figured I'll do one of these too, since I have a few...unorthodox...opinions.

Gen 1

Venusaur: I'll admit, I did not like the Bulbasaur line much at all as a kid. He seemed kind of lame compared to the cannon-turtle and the goddamn fire-breathing dragon. But as time passed, I realized I found the design and concept quite appealing. Bulbasaur's a little toady-looking guy with a seed on his back, and as he grows, the seed grows with him. Plus, Venusaur was always a solid team member when I used him.

Charizard: So why do I mark the goddamn fire-breathing dragon so low? Because I'm not 8 years old anymore. Charizard is the obvious "cool" pokemon, but the overexposure and lack of anything particularly creative about him leaves little to love once you get past the little-kid-cool. Charmander is still pretty awesome, tho'...

Blastoise: Oh hell yeah. Guy's got goddamn twin cannons on his back. That pop out of his shell. He is, literally, a walking goddamn tank.

Gen 2

Meganium: Totally forgettable, in all 3 forms.

Typhlosion: Oh man look at this guy. He starts off as this little porcupine sort of guy, but instead of spikes, his back shoots fire. Then he turns into something kind of weaselly, with that long and winding body, and then an even bigger version-and, of course, he's still got fire shooting out of his back. Awesome.

Feraligatr: Much like Charizard, he's not nearly as cool as he used to be. As a kid, a bigass caveman-crocodile was pretty cool, but now...not so much.

Gen 3

Sceptile: What the shit. Seriously.

Blaziken: The Charizard/Feraligatr of Gen 3, the obvious "cool" pokemon. Frankly I think it looks goofy once it stops being a little baby chicken. And the fact that, aside from the Mudkip meme, almost no one cares about any Gen 3 starter but Blaziken, makes me hate it even more.

Swampert: Yes, I do, indeed, liek mudkips (even in spite of that insipid meme). I love Swampert's design for reasons I can't explain, and ever since Quagsire I've loved the Water/Ground type combo. Plus he's the only Gen 3 starter I can see myself using.

Gen 4

Torterra: Holy crap that continent is a turtle. I named mine Greenland because that turtle is a goddamn continent (I know Greenland is not actually a continent). Sure he's slow as fuck but that's because he's a goddamn continent turtle. Now that I think about it I probably should've put him one rank higher...

Infernape: HAY GUYS YOU LIKE BLAZIKEN FUCK YEA YOU DO EVERYONE LIKES BLAZIKEN HOW ABOUT MORE BLAZIKEN ALL BLAZIKEN ALL THE GODDAMN TIME except now it's a monkey with swirly nipples. And it doesn't help that it's one of only two choices of fire pokemon until way later in the game.

Empoleon: Part of my opinion is colored by my one playthrough trying to use one, where it was goddamn worthless...but he's a damn snappy dresser, plus, he's a penguin. That's enough for a positive rating in my book.

• Thumbs Up 2

Me too me too!

c834d25a.png

As a general rule water > grass > fire. I can't decide whether I prefer Feraligatr or Venusaur though. Both are more awesome than Seven of Nine is serious. And it's a good thing I like Infernape, cause the only other fire type in the region has an annoying back sprite. Rapidash's hair reminds me of the teacher from the Magic School Bus, which yes, is enough to make me not use one.

To keep more on-topic however, I really can't wait to see the base forms of the starters. They were among the last to be officially revealed for D/P (though there were a few after them- Budew, Carnivine, the fossils and more), so it's going to be a long wait. But still, I'd love for at least one of them to end up part steel, ghost or dark. Yeah, a grass/steel or water/dark would be best. Sharpedo and Crawdaunt disappoint. And even if the fire starter is awesome, I struggle to see it not being my least favourite. It's just the type itself I dislike.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Saw this on Serebii forums. The city music I guess. It has a certain Gen 3 feel to it.

Probably leaked.

It sounds like a certain route music I love from Gen 3.

Edited by Torcano