Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

Apparently he's great for speed EV training, but I don't care about EVs much, so, why have that in the game?

For shits and giggles, possibly?

Well, I don't think EV training is the reason they stuck that trainer in there, but you not caring about EVs doesn't mean that there aren't other gamers out there who DO care about EV's. (I'm not targeting you when I say this; I'm just saying that Nintendo...err, GameFreak doesn't only attempt to cater to one kind of person.)

Anyway, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I've been thinking about seeing dual-type moves. For example, something like Thunderpunch could have a primary Electric-type and a secondary Fighting-type.

Also, this would be a lot harder to implement, so it might be unreasonable to ask for such a thing, but I want a bit more realism in battles. Say you have a Pikachu and a Dugtrio. If Pikachu uses Volt Tackle on the Dugtrio, the Dugtrio wouldn't feel the electricity, but I think it'd feel the force behind their collision. So something like Thunderpunch or Volt Tackle could do at least a small amount of damage to a ground-type Pokémon, while attacks like Thunder or Thunderbolt still wouldn't affect one.

Edited by OvErLoRd

Dual-type moves comes up every new game. No thank-you. It would needlessly complicate things with dual-type Pokemon as well. That's really all there is to say.

I say no to dual type moves. Cause if it goes the way I'm thinking, if you use a water grass move on a rock ground type, that would be x16 damage by type weakness multipliers alone. Holy crap.

Dual-type moves comes up every new game. No thank-you. It would needlessly complicate things with dual-type Pokemon as well. That's really all there is to say.

Aww, but it'd be awesome to see a Swampert using Muddy Water on a Magcargo in the rain. :/

If Muddy Watter were dual-type Ground and Water, then Swampert would gain STAB on both of those. Then, it'd be super effective against Magcargo... 16x effective, in fact, considering that both Rock and Fire are 4x weak against both Ground and Water.

That'd be.. what...1.5 x 1.5. x 1.5 x 16 = 54x the damage, without a critical hit (if I've calculated properly; I can't think straight right now due to me being on too many painkillers).

Just a cool thought.

EDIT: Yup, Yong's post and now my own post have helped me realize how broken it would be. Forget I ever said anything. XD

Edited by OvErLoRd

Also, this would be a lot harder to implement, so it might be unreasonable to ask for such a thing, but I want a bit more realism in battles. Say you have a Pikachu and a Dugtrio. If Pikachu uses Volt Tackle on the Dugtrio, the Dugtrio wouldn't feel the electricity, but I think it'd feel the force behind their collision. So something like Thunderpunch or Volt Tackle could do at least a small amount of damage to a ground-type Pokémon, while attacks like Thunder or Thunderbolt still wouldn't affect one.
I'd imagine that'd tip the balance between physical and special attacks too far towards physical, since Gen 4 redefined the two basically along those lines, anything that involves actual hitting is physical and beams and such are special...

As for my crazy hopes and dreams, aside from the long overdue death of HMs, I'd like to see a game that isn't structured around gyms, an evil team, and the elite 4. They can still have all of these things, yes, but they shouldn't be the sole driving force, The Only Things That Actually Matter...make other options equally valid. I shouldn't have to become the greatest Pokemon trainer alive if all I want to do is explore distant lands and catch new pokemon. Let us wander around and find our own path through the game, instead of funneling us down a set path with broken bridges that are always solved either by fighting a gym leader or chasing out the evil team. Hell, let us challenge any gym we can get to...and make us find the one that we can actually win against.

And a less major issue, I'd like to see less (or no) legendaries that are unique in canon. It's annoying within the context of a single game, to have some random-ass kid catch a bunch of absolutely one-of-a-kind creatures, and it's even more annoying when you look at the unified community (which, with the focus on trading and battling with other players, cannot be ignored) and see that not only does everyone have a Mewtwo, but some people have a full team of them. Instead of making legendaries unique specimen, just make them of very rare species, something that (in-universe, not to the players) most people are unlikely ever to see, and that you (the players) are lucky enough to have one chance of catching one. It doesn't completely solve both issues (your character still has several once-in-a-lifetime encounters, and everyone still owns one of these super-rare creatures), but it does reduce the impact while still being fair to the players.

I never understood why people wanted Team Rocket back. IMO they were pretty lame. They were pretty much your simple bad guys who stole things alot. Maybe i'm missing something though.

Maybe since it's Black and White version, they'll feature the KKK and the Black Panthers as the opposing groups for the respective games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never understood why people wanted Team Rocket back. IMO they were pretty lame. They were pretty much your simple bad guys who stole things alot. Maybe i'm missing something though.
Aside from the nostalgia (they were the bad guys of the Pokemon universe during its most popular years), I think it's because they're more down to Earth than the other teams. Aqua/Magma and Galactic are all about crazy anime sort of plots, while Team Rocket was concerned with more realistic matters. Which in a way makes them seem more dangerous...evil crazy anime will always be beaten by good crazy anime, but normal crime is a stickier matter (even if electric mice are involved).

Instead of making legendaries unique specimen, just make them of very rare species, something that (in-universe, not to the players) most people are unlikely ever to see, and that you (the players) are lucky enough to have one chance of catching one. It doesn't completely solve both issues (your character still has several once-in-a-lifetime encounters, and everyone still owns one of these super-rare creatures), but it does reduce the impact while still being fair to the players.

That's what they really ARE though when you get down to it. They're extremely rare, so much so that one might be around at one time. Entei specifically are said to be born when a volcano erupts or something. So there ARE multiple Legendaries, just not so much around at the same time.

And even so, if DPPt and HGSS take place at the same time, they even go out of their way to show you that there are multiple Legendaries. While Lucas/Dawn can find Dialga/Palkia/Giratina in the Spear Pillar/Distortion World, Ethan/Lyra are given an Egg of one of thouse three by Arceus. Thusly making TWO of each one in the world.

Also I would love to attack bad guys directly. Pikachu used Thunderbolt on Rocket Grunt? Would be awesome.

Because Team Rocket are more realistic than any other team.

Team Magma/ Aqua/ Galactic just do stupid shit everytime you encounter them and you already know they aren't going to succeed in destroying the world or whatever.

Team Rocket on the other hand steals Pokemon and conducts cruel experiments on them which is alot more threatening than 'so there's this Pokemon that controls blah blah blah and were going to awaken it'. Team Rocket cut the tails off of Slowpoke and actually killed a Marowak whilst trying to collect Cubone skulls, these guys genuinly don't give a shit about the 'love your Pokemon' messages that we're constantly reminded of throughout the games.

If Team Rocket ever caught a legendary Pokemon they'd probably just sell it xD

Part of me prefers Team Galactic to Team Rocket. Of course Galactic are more dangerous, they have lots of great scientists and trainers at their disposal, and their leader is insane, and insanity is something rarely done well in games.

Giovanni's just a mafia boss type chap really. That's not a bad thing, but Rocket are scary for different reasons to Galactic. Being the most "realistic" villain in a fictional world doesn't mean much to me. Kefka is the best Final Fantasy villain, easily.

And yeah, Aqua/Magma fail completely, especially Aqua.

As for legies, Diogenes claimed that canonically these trainers have access to all these legies, but HG/SS almost prove that Red didn't catch any legendaries. He didn't catch Mewtwo, and if the birds that appeared in Kanto are the same ones as before (we'll never know) he didn't catch them either.

And for the rest of the Gens, it can also be assumed that the legies included in game's plot were merely pacified by the protaginist, rather than caught.

In Black and White, I'd honestly like to see a new (good) villain team but with some old villains returning as sort of an opposing faction, or maybe a bunch of old villains joining to make this new team. I really want Black/White to have a plot culmination, and the plot for Pokémon has been getting progressively deeper with each gen, even Platinum was a huge jump from D/P.

If Rocket returns ever, it won't be in the same form as in previous titles. They're solemnly defeated as of their pathetic return attempt in HG/SS being foiled by another kid. Any further "revivals" of Rocket would be canon rape.

If Rocket returns ever, it won't be in the same form as in previous titles. They're solemnly defeated as of their pathetic return attempt in HG/SS being foiled by another kid. Any further "revivals" of Rocket would be canon rape.
I wouldn't be so sure about that though, with nobody in charge the Rockets in GSCHGSS were pathetic and they knew it, but the Celebi event tells us that Giovanni genuinly had been solo training in Tohjo Falls (presumably against wild Slowpoke lulz) and was going to return after hearing the Rocket's radio broadcast but obviously wasn't quite strong enough yet.

I don't think they would have even bothered showing us that Giovanni was going to return unless they had something planned for him.

Giovanni genuinly had been solo training in Tohjo Falls (presumably against wild Slowpoke lulz) and was going to return after hearing the Rocket's radio broadcast but obviously wasn't quite strong enough yet.

I don't think they would have even bothered showing us that Giovanni was going to return unless they had something planned for him.

Quite the opposite, the Celebi event is merely tying up his story, we get to hear about how he abandoned Silver, and how he gives up completely after being beaten by another random kid.

He says himself that no matter how many times he tries, he'll just be beaten by some kid with a good heart and incredibly strong Pokémon. That says to me he's never coming back, ever. If he did, it'd be canon rape.

Meh that would be the third time that they brought back Team Rocket. I'd rather see a new team. Atleast one that succeeds in there plan half way through. I meant after they do whatever they have to do in order to trigger the event they were planning to do. (Way to many do an to)

Quite the opposite, the Celebi event is merely tying up his story, we get to hear about how he abandoned Silver, and how he gives up completely after being beaten by another random kid.

He says himself that no matter how many times he tries, he'll just be beaten by some kid with a good heart and incredibly strong Pokémon. That says to me he's never coming back, ever. If he did, it'd be canon rape.

Nah, he just says that the last three years of training have been a waste and how you remind him of Red blah blah blah

Nothing about giving up forever, though I can see how it could be interpreted that way.

I don't know, I just want some sort of consistancy within the series, some random team coming out of nowhere, resurrecting some ancient ancient Pokemon then disbanding when you catch it before them is really getting boring now.

Man I wish the grunts wouldn't look the same. Or any of the trainers you fight. It's just really lazy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Man I wish the grunts wouldn't look the same. Or any of the trainers you fight. It's just really lazy.

Yeah because it's realistic to expect them to craft 200+ individual trainers for every single game on top of 490+ Pokemon lmao!

If our speculation about real battle animations for 5th gen are true, then there will be even less space for sprites ^^;

I really hope they still have the awesome Vs Sprites though. Actually I'd like bigger trainer sprites in general.

Yeah because it's realistic to expect them to craft 200+ individual trainers for every single game on top of 490+ Pokemon lmao!

My unrealistict expectations, shattered. D:

On a serious note that was just a nitpick of mine. No need for the sarcasm.

Edited by Torcano

Actually I'd like bigger trainer sprites in general.

I'm love to see every Pokemon/Trainer in perfect scale with eachother, but... Even the recent Console games can't get Wailord to fit without shrinking it.

Or so it seems...

Sticking Wailord and Sunkern in the same arena without some sort of scaling would genuinely look stupid.

Sticking Wailord and Sunkern in the same arena without some sort of scaling would genuinely look stupid.

Especially when Wailord gets hit with Grass Knot and comes crashing down.

Especially when Wailord gets hit with Grass Knot and comes crashing down.

Brutally killing Sunkern in the process