Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

A quick question, when you trade over pokes from Gold and what have you to B/W, are eggs allowed or must they be hatched? I'm guessing I've got many an egg to hatch!

I don't think you can transfer eggs. They also cannot know moves that are HMs in the host game; i.e. Platinum, HeartGold, etc.

Park yourself in the city with the Move Deleter before transferring.

Just beat the shit out of Cynthia with a bunch of level 65 Pokemon. There's something hilarious about one-shotting Pokemon that are 10-12 levels higher than yours. Only threat was the Elektross.

I just used the Pokeshifter to "trade" over a special shiny I had caught and saved for this new game. It turns out, after it transferred, it is no longer a shiny. That kinda sucks ... =(

• Thumbs Up 1

Shiny status is dependent on the Private ID of the Pokemon, and each game reads that differently. That's why, sadly, Pokemon can lose their shiny status when being traded or transferred over.

I don't know if Cynthia's Pokémon are EV trained (some of the more dangerous NPCs are) but if they're not then the extra points you get from simply battling from 5 to 65 would make up for the level gap on its own. It's not as weird as it looks at first.

Alright, I got another shiny over now, has a better nature also now that I notice. It works! Perhaps that one wasn't a shiny after all and I was too quick ...?

Shiny status is dependent on the Private ID of the Pokemon, and each game reads that differently. That's why, sadly, Pokemon can lose their shiny status when being traded or transferred over.

Guh, that blows.

I got a Shiny Latias sitting right here in Pearl that I will now have to leave there.

If I were to trade it over to HeartGold, could I trade it back to Pearl to re-gain its shiny status?

I imagine the problem lies within trading between different generations, so it won't change since both games are of the same one and no actual data is modified.

^^ wot Sean said

That said, Gen 4 and Gen 5 Pokémon data are more or less identical (aside from new Pokémon, new abilities and rewritten abilities in Gen 5 - none of which actually affects the saved data) so for the purposes of transferring Pokémon across they should come out exactly as they were in Gen 4. Unfortunately, as I've just checked and confirmed for myself, my previously shiny Linoone is no longer shiny, so trade up with caution.

BTW: as before, there is no way to return Gen 5 Pokémon data to Gen 4 - it's a one-way trip.

EDIT: However, my shiny Deoxys IS still shiny. ...hm.

I'll look into this.

THEORY: trading the same species multiple times in one transfer pass causes problems: my Linoones also seem to have lost their nicknames. O_o

EDIT 2: Shiny Raichu from the 2010 Wi-Fi event is intact - this is really weird.

EDIT 3: Found my shiny Linoone hiding in the wrong box. SHINY POKÉMON REMAIN SHINY WHEN TRANSFERRED BETWEEN GEN 4 AND 5.

So Diz must have goofed. XD

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan
  • Thumbs Up 1

And to make things worse, that transfer minigame looks completely retarded. Apparently it's too much work for Game Freak to just have the transferred Pokémon show up in the PC box.

No, they just intentionally want to make it inconvenient for you to transfer your existing collection over - the idea being that they'd rather you catch them all from scratch if you're going to complete the Pokédex.

Even then: once you get used to it the transfer minigame is very very efficient: as I've said before, I shipped across about 400 Pokémon in three hours. Pal Park can't come close to that level of efficiency.

Ugh, I hated PalPark. I'm not a fan of the new transfer game either, but I suppose it is much better.

I kind of feel the series should move out of a sequel model and into an expansion pack one. Honestly, I spent hours upon hours trying to complete my Ruby and Diamond pokedexes and making me have to do it again just trivializes my hard work. And having me transfer my Pokemon up a generation kind of makes me feel that the time I spent on Ruby was just made obsolete, and I no longer can use the Pokemon I've grown a connection to unless I give them to a new trainer in a new region. To me, it's like if Blizzard decided to release a World of Warcraft 2 that made you start all over on a new account. But think about rather than having a whole new version to plug into your DS and start over, it's updated so you can access a whole new region with more Pokemon, some new and some old, with more gyms and a new league and everything. Granted, it might require a serious revamp to the series formula, as it does seem almost impossible with DS or perhaps even 3DS tech and not to mention they might have to change the level cap. I'm not completely invested in the idea that it would work, as using the same framework would make major updates harder for each subsequent generation and everything, but at a point where Game Freak could see it being feasible, I think it's something to consider.

Also, that would probably make it worth getting rid of the whole three version system. They tempt you with two versions with some minute yet worthwhile different features and a year later they give you and even better third one. It's definitely a great money making model to rip off suckers like me, but as a sucker, it pisses me off.

Edited by SuperStingray

^^ wot Sean said

That said, Gen 4 and Gen 5 Pokémon data are more or less identical (aside from new Pokémon, new abilities and rewritten abilities in Gen 5 - none of which actually affects the saved data) so for the purposes of transferring Pokémon across they should come out exactly as they were in Gen 4. Unfortunately, as I've just checked and confirmed for myself, my previously shiny Linoone is no longer shiny, so trade up with caution.

BTW: as before, there is no way to return Gen 5 Pokémon data to Gen 4 - it's a one-way trip.

EDIT: However, my shiny Deoxys IS still shiny. ...hm.

I'll look into this.

THEORY: trading the same species multiple times in one transfer pass causes problems: my Linoones also seem to have lost their nicknames. O_o

EDIT 2: Shiny Raichu from the 2010 Wi-Fi event is intact - this is really weird.

EDIT 3: Found my shiny Linoone hiding in the wrong box. SHINY POKÉMON REMAIN SHINY WHEN TRANSFERRED BETWEEN GEN 4 AND 5.

Yup. I traded my Shiny Deoxys over, and it was still shiny.

As for the Pokeshifter.....I guess they want to make use work for it, its not that bad, I hated it at first, but once I figured it out, I got used to it.

Haha hey, so did you. X3

Anyhow, I like the new minigame transfer. You can transfer many Pokémon at a time, contrary to go to wireless and trade one-by-one Pokémon, watching that animation all the time, and you also don't need to catch another random Pokémon to do the transfer either.

Yup. I traded my Shiny Deoxys over, and it was still shiny.

As for the Pokeshifter.....I guess they want to make use work for it, its not that bad, I hated it at first, but once I figured it out, I got used to it.

Just a question, when you traded your Linoone over to B/W, was it still, "LINOONE" or did it change into "Linoone"?

Just a question, when you traded your Linoone over to B/W, was it still, "LINOONE" or did it change into "Linoone"?

It was all caps like in the previous Generations, which is weird, I don't why that happens. I would change it, but since the transferred Pokemon are technically traded I can't.

.......Unless my AR gets involved. So glad I upgraded that thing, so now EV training is going a whole lot faster.

Every Pokémon has to have a nickname, and that name is transferred over along with everything else.

It just so happens that if you don't choose a nickname yourself that the nickname becomes the name of the species instead. That data was already saved on the Gen 4 cart so it sticks.

However because of the way the Pokémon save data works if you evolve them the evolved form will probably lose the all-caps name.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan

I finally beat the story. The Elite Four weren't too bad, but N and Ghetsis were faggots. Zekrom helped me in those fights quite a bit. I explored to other side of the map so now I can fly anywhere, and I'll tackle all of the trainers later. My quest to complete the Pokedex shall be a long journey.

Also, I've gotta say, this was my favorite Gen of Pokemon games thus far. Period. The music, the atmosphere, the graphics, the art, the sound, the story, everything was awesome. And the engine and UI improvements definitely make going back to play Diamond feel like a chore, as it's clearly outdated in comparison. Anything before that is infinitely moreso beaten in overall terms of improvement.

Why is the GTS filled with requests for Level 1-9 Reshirams and Zekroms? Do they want hacked Pokemon or are they just idiots?

A lot of people don't care about getting hacked Pokémon actually given that the requirements and time investment to make legit battle-ready Pokémon are ridiculous.

So....I got bored and had 2 Zoroarks right......so I felt like testing out a theory in a battle.

Conclusion?

A Zoroark can disguise itself as a Zoroark.

Mind = Blown

Edit:

Edited by Jetronic