Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

A FPS has been announced for the 3DS. It's in episodic format with the first season being a remake of a DS title.

Moon_Chronicles_Screen_Comparison_01-610

Moon Chronicles

- rebuilt from the ground up
- will include 3D
- 60 frames-per-second (with or without 3D switched on)
- re-touched detailed geometry and graphics
- supports Circle Pad Pro
- scheduled for release in Spring (March/April) 2014

• Thumbs Up 3

Have been enjoying the 3D Classics so far at least in terms of 3D Space Harrier and 3D Galaxy Force II, the latter is very good in 3D and blown away by the game. Feeling like getting one more 3D Classic but which one? Hard to think of 3DS games that are less than £5/$8 without resorting to Virtual Console. At least my free Super Mario Bros. Deluxe code should be coming soon.

Anyway Mario Party: Island Tour has just recently came out here, I wonder if anyone has it to see what they think and whether it will be for me? Have read the reviews and it seems to be a mixed (but decent) 6 out of 10er. Things to note:

- Have only played Mario Party 4 and 5, prefer 4 to 5.

- Is the game still playable single player and for the minigames? Since I am aware of the no online multiplayer thing but whether it is still good for one person due to don't play multiplayer.

- Does the CPU cheat nastily or is it manageable? Would rather win fair and square than getting frustrated by cheating computer AI.

- Better or worser than Mario Party DS?

I rented it from GameFly a month ago and to be honest it's kinda boring and bland.

There was nothing inherently WRONG with it, I just didn't find it fun to play.

A FPS has been announced for the 3DS. It's in episodic format with the first season being a remake of a DS title.

Moon Chronicles

- will include 3D

Oh, this is gonna be cool, Moon was a pretty neat shooter.

What I find interesting about Moon Chronicles is that Renegade Kid had already announced an episodic downloadable 3DS FPS, Cult County.  My suspicion is that they're using Moon Chronicles as a kind of testing ground for that.  Uh, by "suspicion" I don't mean to imply there's anything sinister going on there, I'm just surprised that they pre-empted Cult County.

FPSs aren't really my thing, but I'm pretty likely to get it.  I've become quite fond of Renegade Kid's attitude as a developer and their support for the 3DS, and I think their shift into full-time eShop development could be very interesting, so I want to give them my support.

Moon Chronicles seems cool. I've always wanted to play Moon so I think this'll be the way to go.

Which reminds me that I should get a Circle Pad Pro..

Moon Chronicles

- will include 3D

I wonder if this game will support/require the Circle Pad Pro? It would seem logical. 

I wonder if this game will support/require the Circle Pad Pro? It would seem logical.

In the message you quoted, it says "Supports Circle Pad Pro" :P

In the message you quoted, it says "Supports Circle Pad Pro" tongue.png

Derp wacko.png

But I wonder if it's required? I can't see how this game would play well without it. 

Derp wacko.png

But I wonder if it's required? I can't see how this game would play well without it. 

Dude I answered that at the bottom of the last page :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude I answered that at the bottom of the last page sad.png

I apologize I didn't see your post SuperLink, I missed it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't the original Moon control with the touchscreen? Why on earth would it require a CPP?

Honestly I don't get the facination with Moon. I'm guessing because the only competition it had on the DS was Metroid Prime Hunters (which many considered the worst in the series before Other M) and Dementium (which was made by the same guys IIRC, and had a mandatory piano puzzle that brought the entire game to a screeching halt mere minutes in if you don't know how to play one), because all I remember of it is really blocky level design, that bloody slow buggy thing that kills you if it's destroyed and really just serves as padding, awful, awful ambience and just being bored shitless between areas.

EDIT: fixed a derp, thanks FFWF for pointing it out.

I'll confess to never having played either Dementium (that was it) or Moon, so I couldn't really say.  But even despite your experiences - I gather the original Dementium was pretty bad, though apparently a later release polished it up a bit - I'm still going to get the new game because it'll be something different for the console.  Like you say, lack of competition will be the thing.  Besides, they're more experienced now and might have learnt from their earlier mistakes.

If they'd learnt anything they wouldn't touch the original game with a ten foot pole, much less HD-remake it as the first chapter of an episodic series. =\

yes I know it's not actually HD shut up

I want Moon because it's the only shooter on the system.

Seriously, why hasn't any company made a FPS for it?

Probably because most good FPS's require twin stick controls and the Circle Pad Pro isn't standard. 

Because although the controls may be great with touch screens, there isn't really a market for shooters on handhelds. So it's more about demographic and less about whether it'd be a good idea to utilise the hardware in that way.

out of nowhere, a Nintendo minute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CT99QXTFmc

still hoping for a ND this week though

Well, this is interesting news for a couple of reasons:

Spike Chunsoft's Conception II will be published in Europe by Atlus as a digital-only title for the 3DS in Q2 2014.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Atlus are horrendous at bringing games to Europe, right?  But Q2 2014 won't be long after the April U.S. release date for this game, and it's a fairly esoteric-looking game, to boot, so I'm kind of surprised by basically every aspect of this story.  Maybe the decision to make it digital-only was affected by sales for Code Of Princess and Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies.  Could Europe start seeing more niche titles brought over as digital downloads?

Makes you wonder what's going on with Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei IV, though, of which there is still no sign in Europe - and Etrian Odyssey Untold is only set for a vague "2014" here.  Conception II is more recent, I believe, so have Atlus's publishing strategies been affected by its acquisition by Sega?

The 3DS' ability to have digital only retail games is pretty recent for the west but the major difference between digital and retail publishing is that digital publishing usually allows a developer to publish a game without any physical publishing body or anything. Atlus doesn't have a European publishing branch like they do in JP and US, they physically can't publish games here so they lazily wait for someone else to pick up publishing rights.

But digital is a different story, their European branch doesn't need to publish physical copies so they can just publish it digitally. This might happen more often in the future too, but I honestly have no idea what the deal is with SMTIV.

• Thumbs Up 2

One suggestion I've heard regarding Shin Megami Tensei IV is that it's tied up with whichever European publisher Atlus licensed it to, and this is more or less officially the case with Etrian Odyssey Untold, which is on NIS America's list.  If Atlus has decided to actually look at Europe more seriously as a market, maybe they decided to cut out the middleman - there's nothing they can do about SMTIV or EOU, but anything they hadn't already handed off is fair game (as it were).

Which means I might actually have to get Conception II just to sponsor this approach, even though I'm pretty sure I normally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.  Hmm.