Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

That's a good commercial. The "Because it's Nintendo" reminds me of Sony's recent "For the Player" stuff. They should expand on this with Wii U commercials and some that show different age groups.

Definitely one of the better commercial I've seen from Nintendo as of recent.

Hope they create ads like this for that other console. =P

Been meaning to ask this for a while, tried the MH3U demo and well...I didn't really like it, it just sorta threw me into the game without any explanation on what to do or how to kill the monster. I've heard tons of good things about it from all of you guys I thought, maybe I'm playing it wrong? Could you give me any tips or advice on playing?

• 3 weeks later...

The 3DS Youtube is actually better than I thought it'd be.  I mean it's like, only something between 360p and 480p but it all runs super smooth.  Searches are really quick and had zero buffering problems or "oh god why did I skip ahead/back I've broken it now I haven't I" with both the short and long videos I tested out.

I was expecting an experience on par with the internet browser in terms of sluggishness but it's not like that at all.

I mean it's super minimalistic so I'm pretty sure you need to know the video you're looking for to watch, there's no browsing of videos or playlists by one person as far as I can see.  Just search and recommended videos.

Miiverse on 3DS will be limited. Won't be able to message or send friend requests to other users like we can on the Wii U.

The reasoning behind this decision requires a little context - Swapnote was being used by pedophiles to try and attract little kids, and, naturally, parents freaked out and complained, resulting in Nintendo disabling the Streetpass functionality (either that, or shutting the service down completely, can't quite remember). Yes, parental controls are a thing, but apparently, kids are smart enough to actually get around them, rendering them effectively worthless.

So, yeah, a few assholes ruined the fun for everyone.

The 3DS Youtube is actually better than I thought it'd be.  I mean it's like, only something between 360p and 480p but it all runs super smooth.  Searches are really quick and had zero buffering problems or "oh god why did I skip ahead/back I've broken it now I haven't I" with both the short and long videos I tested out.

I was expecting an experience on par with the internet browser in terms of sluggishness but it's not like that at all.

I mean it's super minimalistic so I'm pretty sure you need to know the video you're looking for to watch, there's no browsing of videos or playlists by one person as far as I can see.  Just search and recommended videos.

You can sign in with your account, though, which I absolutely love. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

So, yeah, a few assholes ruined the fun for everyone.

But Nintendo is only 1 company.

They addressed the problem in the most overly-drastic way possible. They could have banned the serial number of their 3DS from the network. Hell, they could make a fucking proper account system like literally every other fucking online gaming community worth their salt in existence, and just ban their account and IP.

Instead they ruined the fun for everyone because they don't know how to run online features, even though it's been spelled out for them since 2005.

anyways

As you guys know, I got my 3DS XL not too long ago. It's wonderful. This is what the launch model should have been.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, if those people really are determined perv/pedo's then just banning them wouldn't stop the problem right?

If they really want to be that bad, banning their 3DS, would just result in them getting another one. Banning their IP address would just result in them going somewhere else where the IP address was different so that they could get back into the system. Some of this is due to lacking parental controls I'm sure, since some kids can get around them or some parents that just don't care, but if a pedo is determined, they will find a way around just simply kicking them out from what I have heard before.

But yeah, that's how it works, and if school taught you one thing real life related, a few bad people will ruin things for all the good people out there.

When you go to sign into Youtube 3DS with your account...does it give you an option of which account to sign into? Because I have two; my main one and the one made from Google+.

I...don't want to use the Google+ one.

Well, if those people really are determined perv/pedo's then just banning them wouldn't stop the problem right?

If they really want to be that bad, banning their 3DS, would just result in them getting another one. Banning their IP address would just result in them going somewhere else where the IP address was different so that they could get back into the system. Some of this is due to lacking parental controls I'm sure, since some kids can get around them or some parents that just don't care, but if a pedo is determined, they will find a way around just simply kicking them out from what I have heard before.

But yeah, that's how it works, and if school taught you one thing real life related, a few bad people will ruin things for all the good people out there.

>implying Schools run their shit well either

If they're that determined, chances are they're already on law enforcements shit list. Plus unless Nintendo is entirely incompetent, the IP would be reported to the FBI.

If your IP is blocked, that's a good sign that you should back the hell off. Most pedophiles use online forums anyways, so I guess we should take down the internet as well.

If your IP is blocked, that's a good sign that you should back the hell off. Most pedophiles use online forums anyways, so I guess we should take down the internet as well.

If the govt. could do so, I bet they would try and spy on everyone they could and make the internet into a horrible place to be just so they could keep an eye out for people like that, at least the way they act these days.

Erm... Aren't we supposed to be talking about the 3DS and not creepy disgusting paedophiles? :-/

Temporary Maintenance
From (approx.) Monday, 9 December 2013 17:00
to Tuesday, 10 December 2013 04:00.
Affected services:
Wii U
- Nintendo eShop
Nintendo 3DS
- Nintendo eShop
Wii
- Wii Shop Channel
Nintendo DS
- Nintendo DSi Shop

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_GB/index.html

It doesn't say whether this is GMT or BST like the other times listed for other scheduled maintenance periods.

Except Solkia wasn't talking strictly about pedophiles, he was criticizing how Nintendo responded to a situation that was abused by some pedophiles-which involved neutering Swapnotes's online capabilities. :-/

It was related at first, but went off topic.

So I got Dillon's Rolling Western from Club Nintendo. Has anyone played this? I've been absorbed by Pokemon and haven't played it yet.

So I got Dillon's Rolling Western from Club Nintendo. Has anyone played this? I've been absorbed by Pokemon and haven't played it yet.

I have it and its a pretty fun game, its mostly a more action based tower defense game where you set up gun towers to protect the towns that you go to and fight the enemies yourself to help shorten the load, also each stage has different layouts and rulesets so no stage is the same and your ability to adapt to the terrain makes a big difference when trying not to lose.

Dillon's Rolling Western divides opinions - some people find it a bit of a grind and rather samey, but I rather enjoy it (and its sequel!).  To me, every level feels like a challenge, a madcap scramble to cover every base in a game in which it's basically impossible to do so, but once I'm done then I find myself wanting to start the next level straight away.

If you want a description of gameplay, it's almost entirely touch-screen controlled, you spend each level basically rolling around a map exploring and resource-gathering, then arranging and upgrading your towers, and then you have to divide your time between managing all the enemies which show up on the map.  And, as stated above, each map has its own distinct geography and introduces new kinds of enemies to the fray.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dillon's Rolling Western is definitely a fun game and is currently one of my favorite eShop series.  It's strictly tower defense with action RPG-like fighting sequences. It's challenging and the character-driven plot is nice. The only things I usually tell people to be wary about are how heavy the game is with multi-tasking and requiring you to think ahead. Don't be surprised if you feel exhausted once you finished one town, but if you're cool with the former and latter then you'll definitely have fun with the game. 

And if you enjoy it enough then I'll definitely recommend the sequel, Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger, which is an improvement on the original in many ways.

Couldn't the Swapnote problem have been solved by, I don't know, simply removing the ability to send photos?

And that's just one possible solution of many. I just don't get it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think the issue is just photo sending, it's also the ability to send messages.

Not saying I support the move, but I think there's more to the issue than the photos part.

Eh, nintendos handhelds have never actually been the most studily made, my ds lite got like that but that was after a couple of years of use.

Eh, nintendos handhelds have never actually been the most studily made, my ds lite got like that but that was after a couple of years of use.

I heartily disagree, i still have my original DS that works absolutely perfectly, the only reason it is broken is because I accidentally broke the hinge by dropping it one too many times, my DS lite is pretty much out of the box (a few asthetic marks) and my original 3DS is still absolutely perfect , apart from a few marks on the outside edges

• Thumbs Up 1