Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

I was thinking recently about how people assume The Name of The Doctor was River's final appearance, and, thinking about it, I don't really see how that works? Mainly because we know River knows the Doctor's name, his real name, that much is a fact, but we've never seen a point on screen where she actually learns it. We've seen her meeting with the Doctor, and her leaving the Doctor (twice) in a weird order, we've seen them get married, but he never told her his name, I don't think he trusts her enough. Maybe he does now, but back when they got married, nope.

So I'm pretty sure River will be back someday, and the Doctor will tell her his name. Then perhaps River's timeline will lead up to the library.

One thing I would really like to see in the future, though, is for the next incarnation of the Doctor to cross over into the show before his predecessor's regeneration.  Think Rose's appearance in Partners In Crime.  I think they could cover that up long enough for it to be a surprise.

I was actually thinking about this lately too, they sometimes show old regenerations with the "current" Doctor, meaning the old selves have met the new ones, but they never show the "current" Doctor meeting a future one, it'd be very interesting to do, especially if said future Doctor was still a ways off.

But that's a really lofty idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was thinking recently about how people assume The Name of The Doctor was River's final appearance, and, thinking about it, I don't really see how that works? Mainly because we know River knows the Doctor's name, his real name, that much is a fact, but we've never seen a point on screen where she actually learns it. We've seen her meeting with the Doctor, and her leaving the Doctor (twice) in a weird order, we've seen them get married, but he never told her his name, I don't think he trusts her enough. Maybe he does now, but back when they got married, nope.

It's been a while since I've watched it but didn't the Doctor whisper his name to her at their "wedding" at the end of Series 6? That's what I always assumed, at least. I might be mis-remembering things, though.

It's been a while since I've watched it but didn't the Doctor whisper his name to her at their "wedding" at the end of Series 6? That's what I always assumed, at least. I might be mis-remembering things, though.

I'm pretty sure he didn't tell her his name then, he just told her he was in the Teselecta or somethin. I doubt he trusted her than much back then.

It felt weird yesterday, I've been used to watching the show every week and I was caught off guard. I knew that it wasn't on, but I didn't really know what to do (I went on here), I enjoyed Series 7 Part 2 and now I really can't wait for November 23rd.

Clarence and the Wispermen: The Name of the Doctor Prequel from the DVD/Blu Ray extra:

That's pretty good but I think it should have been released earlier, it doesn't serve any point now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, Jemma Redgrave, who played Kate Stewart in The Power of Three and reprising the role in the 50th talks about the upcoming special to What's on TV.

“If I tell you anything at all I’ll have to kill you and then kill myself. I wasn’t even allowed to tell my children I was actually in it for about four or five weeks! Once we filmed in Trafalgar Square I knew it would be impossible to keep that under wraps! But what do you do? I was going to work and not being able to tell anyone what I was doing! It was like joining bloody MI6!

“What I can tell you is that it’s absolutely bloody brilliant! I think it’s an astonishing script. Steven Moffat is an outrageously good writer and as always with Doctor Who, it’s philosophical, it’s deep, it’s an adventure story and if you’re a kid, you’re going to be taken on an extraordinary ride. It raises all sorts of interesting questions for anyone who wants to go deeper with it. It’s funny and then on a sixpence it breaks your heart. It’s just wonderful!”

Another heart breaker. Dammit Moffat. You already broke my heart woth the 50th by not putting in Paul McGann, or Christopher Eccleston or any other Doctor besides 10 and 11, but c'mon!

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 2

That definitely should have been part of the episode itself or aired before it. Would a 50 minute timeslot really have been that much of a problem? That kind of prequel actually gives context to two of the elements that felt the most pointless in that episode :/ definitely needed to have been part of the episode or at least released beforehand.

• Thumbs Up 3

Has this been mentioned here? Now the partly-missing Troughton serial 'The Moonbase' is getting a DVD release with the missing episodes restored through animation. Either way, it slipped my personal radar, which is sort of a big deal since I freaking love this serial. It was the first Cybermen appearance since their rather unfortunate introduction in the Tenth Planet, and this time not only did they look better, they sounded really creepy and menacing. Personally, I actually like this better than I do Tomb of the Cybermen, though I doubt I'll find anyone else who shares that opinion  :P

I've actually been watching the Doctor Who lookback specials on BBC America since I'm too lazy and paranoid about viruses to torrent, and I'm too cheap to buy any DVDs or Netflix... Are they even on Netflix here in the US? But anyways, I really like what I've seen, I just finished watching the 5th doctor a couple of hours ago, and I really enjoyed his performance... I can see where David Tennant got the inspiration for his own performance as the doctor. One of these days I'm probably gonna man up and see If I can find a way to check out some more of the older episodes.

Speaking of David Tennant, I know I've said that I thought Ten overrated, but of course, that doesn't really mean I hate him. In fact I kinda found his performance rather charming. You could tell he was having a lot of fun with the role, and the fact that it was Tennant's dream to have the role as the Doctor, it just makes it all the more special.

However, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't prefer 11 over 10. Sometimes 10 got a little too emotional for me, and I really didn't enjoy how his main companions became a love interest in some way. Not to mention his speech about how regeneration might as well be death kinda rubbed me the wrong way.  

Yeah, I could kinda see the problems with the newer episodes, and I can see why some people would enjoy the more relatable and human personality of 10, but personally, I kinda prefer the Doctor as being more eccentric and odd. I dunno why that is, and I really can't explain why, I just find it more endearing and more interesting than having the Doctor acting more human. Maybe it's because Matt Smith is a lot of fun to watch? Kinda reminds me of Tom Baker's performance as the 4th doctor.

I dunno, I'm not gonna lie, 10 was a good doctor and I'm actually really looking forward to seeing him again in the 50th anniversary, despite being a little disappointed that he's the only doctor returning. Maybe my dad's taste in Doctors rubbed off on me, (Particularly the 4th doctor,) or maybe I just have a shallow taste in characters. That or maybe most of 10's fanboys and fangirls all over the net really just grind my gears sometimes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've actually been watching the Doctor Who lookback specials on BBC America since I'm too lazy and paranoid about viruses to torrent, and I'm too cheap to buy any DVDs or Netflix... Are they even on Netflix here in the US? But anyways, I really like what I've seen, I just finished watching the 5th doctor a couple of hours ago, and I really enjoyed his performance... I can see where David Tennant got the inspiration for his own performance as the doctor. One of these days I'm probably gonna man up and see If I can find a way to check out some more of the older episodes.   Speaking of David Tennant, I know I've said that I thought Ten overrated, but of course, that doesn't really mean I hate him. In fact I kinda found his performance rather charming. You could tell he was having a lot of fun with the role, and the fact that it was Tennant's dream to have the role as the Doctor, it just makes it all the more special.   However, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't prefer 11 over 10. Sometimes 10 got a little too emotional for me, and I really didn't enjoy how his main companions became a love interest in some way. Not to mention his speech about how regeneration might as well be death kinda rubbed me the wrong way.     Yeah, I could kinda see the problems with the newer episodes, and I can see why some people would enjoy the more relatable and human personality of 10, but personally, I kinda prefer the Doctor as being more eccentric and odd. I dunno why that is, and I really can't explain why, I just find it more endearing and more interesting than having the Doctor acting more human. Maybe it's because Matt Smith is a lot of fun to watch? Kinda reminds me of Tom Baker's performance as the 4th doctor.   I dunno, I'm not gonna lie, 10 was a good doctor and I'm actually really looking forward to seeing him again in the 50th anniversary, despite being a little disappointed that he's the only doctor returning. Maybe my dad's taste in Doctors rubbed off on me, (Particularly the 4th doctor,) or maybe I just have a shallow taste in characters. That or maybe most of 10's fanboys and fangirls all over the net really just grind my gears sometimes.
I agree here, I enjoy watching Eleven more than I did Ten, but I still thoroughly enjoyed Ten. He was relatable, but sometimes a bit too human for me, and for a 900 year old time traveling alien. I'm glad he's returning for the 50th with Eleven, but granted, he alone is a bit disappointing. But Eleven is great, he's one of the best. I just didn't like how people judged him as soon as he started with a few episodes. Matt Smith has grown into an amazing actor, and judging him by his first few episodes is harsh, because he's shone right through the latest series. On the topic of watching back, yes, they're on US Netflix, I know the US has Series 6 of the new stuff, which the UK does not, and I'm sure they have a few more Classic Serials on the US version than the UK. There's also a few places to stream online, if you're willing to do that.
  • Thumbs Up 2

US Netflix has all of New Who up to Series 6 (though there were a few from the end of Tennant's run where I had to look online, they might be on there by now though). As for the Classic stuff, well...no, not really. They have quite a few serials but it feels like they were all randomly pulled from a hat with no rhyme or reason. If you wanted to actually watch through them back to back, you'd have to look online. I've posted a link to a dailymotion account before that had everything from the beginning to part way through Tom Baker's run, but unfortunately they've apparently removed most of the very first season.

Oh well, you probably don't care about that anyways. Here it is if you want to take a look.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like what they've done with Eleven regarding making him seem more "alien", in terms of how he acts. Even if it's minor things like how he moves around, or just little quirks here and there. I get the impression some of it might just be Matt being Matt, though, haha.

• Thumbs Up 3

US Netflix has all of New Who up to Series 6 (though there were a few from the end of Tennant's run where I had to look online, they might be on there by now though). As for the Classic stuff, well...no, not really. They have quite a few serials but it feels like they were all randomly pulled from a hat with no rhyme or reason. If you wanted to actually watch through them back to back, you'd have to look online. I've posted a link to a dailymotion account before that had everything from the beginning to part way through Tom Baker's run, but unfortunately they've apparently removed most of the very first season.

Oh well, you probably don't care about that anyways. Here it is if you want to take a look.

The rhyme or reason is probably "These are the serials we've launched in DVD so far".

The rhyme or reason is probably "These are the serials we've launched in DVD so far".

I'm aware of that, but even so there's a butt ton they haven't uploaded.

James Bond Actor Roger Moore wants Doctor Who (And/or Sherlock) roll:

It might be nothing, but it's pretty cool anyway.

On Twitter, Mark Gatiss Tweets:

“Isn’t Roger Moore wonderful in ‘The Man Who Haunted Himself’? I have such a soft spot for the film.”

Moore replies with this:

“Thank you. I might be equally wonderful in Dr Who or Sherlock if asked!”

So Gatiss responded:

“My life is complete! Will be in touch.”

Yeah, it's probably just a bit of a joke, but it would be pretty cool if he got a role. But Moore has shown interest in being in the show before, after hearing Timothy Dalton had been cast in The End of Time, Moore said:

“I believe Timothy is to appear in one of the new episodes, so if they ever want anyone to play his dad, I’m available.”

You'd think he'd like a part in Doctor Who, going by all this...

"Series 8 will be incredible" say's the new Executive Producer Brian Minchin. He spoke briefly about it in the new Doctor Who Magazine.

“My main job now is staring in awe at the 50th Anniversary Special and wondering ‘How the hell do we follow on from that?! Then, when I stop gawping and wondering, ‘How did they do that bit, and that one, and that bit!’ I will start work on the Christmas episode, written by Steven Moffat himself.”

He was asked what fans can expect next year, he said: “A whole new series! But we certainly won’t be releasing the details of that series right now in May 2013. Oh dear, that sounds mean! Well, I can tell you that I have just spent a very happy few days meeting some scarily clever writers, and we have an incredible set of stories to work on. More adventures ahead!”

I just hope we don't have the series split we did with series 7, as we've done enough waiting for a while, I think.

I don't think we'll get a split, simply because of the special being in the way for the normal time slot we would have had for the first part of the series. Never say never though.

I'm going to predict we'll have a similar scenario to what we had with Series 7 for Series 8. They're not starting to film it until the start of next year so it's going to be late Summer or Autumn 2014 by the time it actually hits our screen, so it's either going to lead straight into the 2014 Christmas special or it'll come in the middle of two halves of the series again. 

Oh, how I miss the 13 episode runs in the Spring back in the Series 1-5 era. It may have been a long wait in between the series and the Christmas special, but at least the timing was consistent.

• Thumbs Up 1

It worked with Series 7 because of the companion change, but it didn't really work with Series 6.

I want to talk about 10 for a moment, so I'm going to. The main problem with him is that he's too human, it's been pointed out a bunch of times, but I wanted to throw in my opinion too. During Tennant's run, the show's ratings got a lot higher, so the people working on the show decided to make The Doctor more human, so that we could relate to the character and feel sorry for him. What I liked about 9's run was gone, 9 was a battle-scared Doctor who had been through so much loss and pain, even though he felt 'alien', you could really relate to him, they should have kept the 'alien' feel to 10, it would have made for some funny moments. The way 10 was over the Time War made the show have a more 'energetic' feel to it, and the 'alien' feel would have made his run even better.

My main problem is that he had three companions, it made his run inconsistent, not personality wise, but he had to re-introduce himself to the companion, and we also had to spend time seeing how the companion was, so the flow was broken.

• Thumbs Up 2

You guys are all discussing current episodes and future episodes, meanwhile I'm working through the backlog of classic Who, specifically the early 70's.

I just want to make this post so I can officially say it: I think Jon Pertwee might be my favorite Doctor of them all. I like him more than Smith, more than Tennant, more than Troughton, maybe-just maybe-even more than Tom Baker (but I've only seen three serials of his so I'm not going to decide just yet). Pertwee starts off really strong and only gets better and better as he goes. Every five minutes he does something new that just makes me love him even more.

Gentleman, snarker, karate expert, kooky inventor, what isn't there to love? And when he gets angry and confronts the villain or stupid person* of the week...holy shit. I consider him to be the first of the more modern-day style Doctor. Hartnell's grumpy Professor type was usually drastically different from anyone else, and while Troughton was fun he was kind of a legit bumbling oaf at times.

I am going to be devastated when I run out of Third Doctor material.  ;A;

* For some reason during this era, there's pretty much always some scientist/CEO who is in complete denial that something has gone terribly wrong.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 3