Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

I know a copy of the specials soundtrack arrived in the mail this morning. Its been got for me as a birthday present though, so I'll have to wait till Sunday before I can actually listen to it.

From everything I'm hearing about it though, it sounds like its the best soundtrack release yet. I'm very much looking foward to hearing it.

Just in case my last two posts didn't get the message across, you're going to have a VERY happy birthday, Doctor! :)

Just in case my last two posts didn't get the message across, you're going to have a VERY happy birthday, Doctor! :)

Oh they got the message across alright. I'm looking forward to hearing this soundtrack even more now! Was wondering how it would compare with previous soundtracks, as this is the first one where its been possible to do a detailed soundtrack for each episode. Had been slightly concerned it might make for a less impressive soundtrack release overall, but am very glad to hear to the opposite is true!

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

I love Doctor Who, I have been watching since it reappeared back on BBC 1 in 2005. I did watch the 1996 film when I was five and it scared me a little and I saw some of the older episodes on UK Gold.

I would actually like to watch some of the eariler Episodes I watched one of the Seventh Doctor episodes and I thought he was really good in it.

Overall I think Doctor Who is one of the best shows on the Beeb, next to Top Gear and I think I am the only one who enjoyed watching Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes on here.

I would actually like to watch some of the eariler Episodes I watched one of the Seventh Doctor episodes and I thought he was really good in it.

Overall I think Doctor Who is one of the best shows on the Beeb, next to Top Gear and I think I am the only one who enjoyed watching Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes on here.

Oh, the Seventh Doctor is awesome. Out of his episodes I would particulary recommend: 'Remembrance of the Daleks', 'Battlefield' and 'The Curse of Fenric'.

And I also enyjoyed both Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, so you're not alone on that.

Oh, the Seventh Doctor is awesome. Out of his episodes I would particulary recommend: 'Remembrance of the Daleks', 'Battlefield' and 'The Curse of Fenric'.

And I also enyjoyed both Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, so you're not alone on that.

Yeah the Remembrance of the Daleks is the one I saw with Dravos, really good, I found McCoy very witty and very cunning as the Seventh Doctor.

Especially this line "Powerful! Crush the lesser races! Conquer the galaxy! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING! Etcetera! Etcetera!".

The rice pudding part gets me everytime, imagine saying that to Hitler or Stalin during a speech or something.

Yeah the Remembrance of the Daleks is the one I saw with Dravos, really good, I found McCoy very witty and very cunning as the Seventh Doctor.

Especially this line "Powerful! Crush the lesser races! Conquer the galaxy! UNIMAGINABLE POWER! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDING! Etcetera! Etcetera!".

The rice pudding part gets me everytime, imagine saying that to Hitler or Stalin during a speech or something.

Ah, yes. That is a great moment. :)

Just watched the first part of Dragonfire. What a stupid and obvious cliffhigher though, eh? :lol:

Is it me but I am getting the hots for Mel (Bonnie Langford). If only I was there back in 1987 (I am a sucker for female red heads with long long curly hair).

Oh yeah Ace is well Ace!

Edited by BW199148

Just watched the first part of Dragonfire. What a stupid and obvious cliffhigher though, eh? :lol:

Is it me but I am getting the hots for Mel (Bonnie Langford). If only I was there back in 1987 (I am a sucker for female red heads with long long curly hair).

Oh yeah Ace is well Ace!

Yes, one does wonder what the Doctor was trying to do at the end of part one.

Dragonfire is actually the first story that feels like a proper McCoy Doctor Who story. I think the previous ones were either originally written for the 6th Doctor (Time and the Rani) or with no particular Doctor in mind.

Oh yeah, Ace is my favourite companion, just as McCoy is my favourite Doctor. Their characters work really well together. Mel wasn't actually in the show for that long, though she joined while Colin Baker was still the Doctor.

Series 6 to begin in the Utah Desert

Very very interesting... the opening story of Series 6 is a two-parter. In America. With River Song.

Also dammit why do we have no real Christmas Special details yet.

I'd heard rumours about filming in America previously so that didn't come as too much of a suprise, but starting the series with a two parter, now that is unexpected! Sounds like we've got a very interesting series ahead!

Oh yeah and I'm listening to my new Specials Soundtrack CD as I type this. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

New trailers for "Death of The Doctor":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4jQZaN7LVs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yo0Vrb0AWY

This very special Sarah Jane Adventures two-parter airs at Mon 25 & Tues 26 Oct on CBBC @ 5.15pm and Wed 27 & Thurs 28 Oct on BBC One @ 4.30pm.

I leave you now with some delicious promo pics!

death.jpg

More here

I know I for one will be tuning in. It's been far too long since our last proper bit of Doctor Who.

So, uh, how about that Doctor Who Live thing, eh? Anyone been to that?

This probably doesn't need to be Spoiler Tagged, but best to play it safe I guess.

Right, so I went last night, which was the third Birmingham date.

I was kinda...disappointed. I'm not that big a Doctor Who fan anyway (only started watching on Series 5, seen most of Series 3 and a bit of Series 2 since then), but the girlfriend really likes it so off we went. Yeah, you can guess why I started watching the TV Series now.

Most of the time, it just felt like a bit of a parade to be honest. Nigel Planer would say something, disappear backstage, and then some random alien species would walk amongst the crowd for a while, before going back on stage and getting chased backstage by Nigel Planer. In amongst this were a few random video montages, or the specially filmed clips of Matt Smith (which to be fair, were funny).

So, what aliens did we have? Again, forgive my lack of knowledge on names, but:

Scarecrows

Judoon (who scanned random audience members)

Weeping Angels (the lights would flash, "blinding" everyone, and in that time they would move. Clever, actually)

Smilers? (from "The Beast Below") as well as the Queen

The Vampires of Venice that were actually fishy thingies

Silerians? The underground reptiles from the last series

Clockwork Masquerade robot thingies

Cybermen (who upgraded someone on stage)

Daleks (including a Flying One near the end)

Oh yeah, and Winston Churchill, who was "bait" to get the Doctor's attention.

Personally, my favourite aspect of thye show was the live music. Various different themes, but always entertaining. The band were great, I must say.

It was also worth noting that one video montage went through all the incarnations of the Doctor. The audience watched in silence until Chirstopher Eccleston regenerated into David Tennant. MASSIVE CHEER. Biggest cheer of the night. Yeah, there was a smaller cheer when Tennant turned into Matt Smith, but people still love Mr. Tennant.

Show was just under two hours, including intermission, but I assume that was probably the longest they felt they could keep the kids' attention.

At one point, as the Dalek turned to the crowd, the Big Screen started showing "his view" (camera feed wih a target n the middle). The kid who then jumped out of his chair and aimed his Sonic Screwdriver was priceless, I must admit.

But yeah, overall? Pretty meh. Maybe some of it was wasted on me, but it did feel less of a show and more an exhibiton.

Edited by Covskin

Slightly tangential here, but Cov, my sister was at the very same event you were last night. :o

She's not a Who fan though, and was thoroughly confused by the whole thing. By all account, the audience was 99% kids and parents of said kids.

By all account, the audience was 99% kids and parents of said kids.

Which is why they don't have the sense to cheer for the other Doctors. :P

mattys.png

Death of the Doctor, Part One now on BBC iPlayer

Just watched this and... it's pretty good! I've never been that into the Sarah Jane Adventures but the appearance of Matt Smith was just too good to pass up! I won't spoil anything that happens so far, but I will say that it's definitely leading up to a very interesting conclusion.

My one word of advice - watch The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith (the two-parter from the last series of SJA starring David Tennant) beforehand if you can. There's quite a few references to it and it might be helpful to refresh your memory in advance. It's not essential as there's flashbacks and the like, but it'll get you in the mood for more special guest Doctor action if nothing else!

Can't wait for Part 2 tomorrow :D

EDIT: Part 2 now on BBC iPlayer too!

A very nice continuation. Matt Smith makes it worthy of a watch.

Edited by Doctor MK

Jim Henson's Creature Shop should be brought in to do all the aliens in Who from now on. They worked amazingly well in Farscape, they can work just as well here; they can't possibly look worse than the puppet-like Shansheeth the BBC came out with.

I call bullshit on the 507 limit for his regeneration. Then again, Doctor Who would never end, and that's awesome!

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

I call bullshit on the 507 limit for his regeneration.

It was an off-the-cuff comment meant to be mildly amusing. He probably just doesn't want anyone to know his time is almost up.

It was an off-the-cuff comment meant to be mildly amusing. He probably just doesn't want anyone to know his time is almost up.

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

Whether the 507 lives thing is a joke or not, surely they wouldn't end it after The Thirteenth Doctor meets his maker?

...would they?

I'm sure they could just shoehorn in any old plot device like "The Orb of Life" or something to allow The Doctor to keep on living. Maybe make some big epic finale story out of it, The Doctor racing against time to carry on existing or something.

But we won't have to worry about that for a few years yet, if ever.

Edited by Doctor MK

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon delivered today (much to my surprise, I'd totally forgotten) my copy of Doctor Who - Series Five: The Official Television Soundtrack.

Good news, Gold-fans! Just like the previous release from David Tennant's final episodes, this is another 2-disc CD album! The first disc covers everything up until Vincent van Gogh's episode, before the second is almost entirely dominated by the final two-part episode. There's an absolute hoarde of amazing music on here, and it feels more like a complete album than The Specials, mostly because so many more themes and emotions are covered here than just "Christmas, some sand, some water, bye-bye Doctor... oh, and some snow."

I listened to it on my iPod while I braved the elements today, and it must be the first time I've been grinning in a freezing hailstorm. :)