Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

It always sucks when soundtracks don't have every track on them. I'm looking at you, Sonic X OST, and I know Jez agrees with me on that one. XD

It always sucks when soundtracks don't have every track on them. I'm looking at you, Sonic X OST, and I know Jez agrees with me on that one. XD

My precious Sonic X sad scene songs. Q_Q Never will you be heard sound effectless at high quality. *sobs*

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY FUDGING SHIT O_O

The BBC and Steven Moffat have announced today that the transmission of the next series of Doctor Who, in 2011, will be split into two blocks, transmitting in spring and autumn.

The split transmission is the result of a request from Steven Moffat to write a new Doctor Who story arc which involves a big plot twist in the middle of the series. By splitting the series Moffat plans to give viewers one of the most exciting Doctor Who cliffhangers and plot twists ever, leaving them waiting, on the edge of their seats, until the autumn to find out what happens.

Steven Moffat said: "The split series is hugely exciting because viewers will be treated to two premieres, two finales and more event episodes. For the kids it will never be more than a few months to the next Doctor Who! Easter, Autumn, Christmas!!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/08_august/29/doctor.shtml

First Sherlock, and now this...

DAMN YOU STEVEN MOFFAT AND YOUR INFERNAL CLIFFHANGERS!

As much as I want to rage about it, I actually like the sound of this.

Roll on Spring.

Wonder how they'll split up the episodes... considering there's usually 13 and all.

Sounds fine by me, roll on Moffat, you crazy awesome son of a gun.

I just read about the split over on Gallifrey Base, having been out the whole the day.

Its certainly suprising news. Funnily enough, last year there was a rumour about series 5 being split and at the time I hated the idea. However with what Moffat has got planned in terms of story this could turn out to be very good. Its certainly got me interested.

Wonder how they'll split up the episodes... considering there's usually 13 and all.

According to the Gallifrey Base news page, the cliffhanger for the first half will be in episode 7. So sounds like its 7 episodes for Spring/Summer and 6 episodes for the autumn.

Also of interest, Steven has stated that there are currently no plans for the Daleks to appear in the next series and that when they do reappear "there will be lots of different kinds of Daleks". Hopefully this means they'll be able to get rid of those awful plastic looking ones from this year.

"there will be lots of different kinds of Daleks" That doesn't say they'll get rid of Dalek Rangers, if anything that confirms my worst fear, that there will be another huge army of Daleks for the Doctor to defeat with a Deus Ex Machina

Edited by NM Mighty

The other main reason he's doing this is probably to give them time to shoot the second series of Sherlock too.

The other main reason he's doing this is probably to give them time to shoot the second series of Sherlock too.

The fact that above was discussing Daleks more than the split series gave your post the (awesome) implication that the Daleks are somehow needed for the second series of Sherlock.

• Thumbs Up 1

"there will be lots of different kinds of Daleks" That doesn't say they'll get rid of Dalek Rangers, if anything that confirms my worst fear, that there will be another huge army of Daleks for the Doctor to defeat with a Deus Ex Machina

Well, I only said hopefully :)

It could indeed just be a load of different plastic Dalek rangers. But there was mention before that the new Daleks would evolve. Hopefully that will be into something that doesn't look plastic or have a hunchback. As they seem to have decided to go without the Daleks for at least a year, I'm hoping that will allow them to distribute their budget effectively so they can have new Daleks built for when they return to the series (as I'm sure the cut to the shows budget was partly responsible for the new Daleks looking so cheap).

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

Well, I only said hopefully :)

It could indeed just be a load of different plastic Dalek rangers. But there was mention before that the new Daleks would evolve. Hopefully that will be into something that doesn't look plastic or have a hunchback. As they seem to have decided to go without the Daleks for at least a year, I'm hoping that will allow them to distribute their budget effectively so they can have new Daleks built for when they return to the series (as I'm sure the cut to the shows budget was partly responsible for the new Daleks looking so cheap).

Daleks...Evolving? PRESS B PRESS B FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PRESS B

Seriously though, the lack of Daleks for this season would please me, Dalek usage should be a privilege not a right, unless, didnt the rights to dalek usage have a "must be used every season" clause?

So The Sun thinks that the mid-series cliffhanger will be Amy being killed off.

Oh wait I'm not allowed to call it a "mid-series cliffhanger" any more, seeing as it's technically Series 6 and Series 7 now - 7 episodes for Series 6, 6 episodes for Series 7 (how's that for a mindfuck!).

Anyway I hope the Amy rumour is false, seeing as we've only just had an "Amy dying" cliffhanger in The Pandorica Opens - and quite frankly, it would upset a lot of the show's male fans *ahem*

I'm guessing it's something to do with a big enemy returning, the dark past of River Song, or something to do with The Doctor's regeneration limit. Whatever it is, it better be worth it.

Daleks...Evolving? PRESS B PRESS B FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PRESS B

Seriously though, the lack of Daleks for this season would please me, Dalek usage should be a privilege not a right, unless, didnt the rights to dalek usage have a "must be used every season" clause?

I agree, they could definitely do with a break for a year or so. I do remember hearing something said previously about them having to be used every year but I don't think it was ever confirmed whether that was true or not. If it was though, then its possible they've now re-negotiated the rights.

So The Sun thinks that the mid-series cliffhanger will be Amy being killed off.

Oh wait I'm not allowed to call it a "mid-series cliffhanger" any more, seeing as it's technically Series 6 and Series 7 now - 7 episodes for Series 6, 6 episodes for Series 7

As its the Sun, I expect its made up. Unfortunately we won't now for certain until it airs. Also I think its all still just one series and that it will be a mid-series break in the same way american shows have.

I'm guessing it's something to do with a big enemy returning, the dark past of River Song, or something to do with The Doctor's regeneration limit. Whatever it is, it better be worth it.

You may well be on the right track with River Song. Or perhaps it could be something to do with the silence.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

Also I think its all still just one series and that it will be a mid-series break in the same way american shows have.

Steven Moffat himself is referring to the first 7 episodes as "Series 6" and the following 6 episodes as "Series 7".

Seriously, there's a video interview somewhere with him saying it.

If they're not wasting money with Power Ranger Daleks this year they might as well blow the budget on Tellytubby Cybermen. Got to treat the kids, you know.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steven Moffat himself is referring to the first 7 episodes as "Series 6" and the following 6 episodes as "Series 7".

Seriously, there's a video interview somewhere with him saying it.

Ah, I hadn't got round to watching the video of the announcement yet.

Its seems a bit of an odd way to do it, I wonder if they'll stick to that numbering.

• 1 month later...

Death of the Doctor Synopsis'

(The Sarah Jane Adventures episodes)

Part 1

When the Doctor is declared dead, old companions Sarah Jane and Jo Grant meet for the very first time, and join forces to discover the truth. As an interstellar conspiracy gathers around UNIT HQ, Clyde finds that he holds the fate of the Time Lord in his hand – quite literally!

Part 2

Old friends fight together to make one last stand against the sinister Shansheeth. But with Clyde and Rani trapped in terrible danger, Sarah Jane and Jo Grant realise their worst fears – their friendship with the Doctor might be the very thing that dooms them.

Death of the Doctor Synopsis'

(The Sarah Jane Adventures episodes)

Part 1

When the Doctor is declared dead, old companions Sarah Jane and Jo Grant meet for the very first time, and join forces to discover the truth. As an interstellar conspiracy gathers around UNIT HQ, Clyde finds that he holds the fate of the Time Lord in his hand – quite literally!

Part 2

Old friends fight together to make one last stand against the sinister Shansheeth. But with Clyde and Rani trapped in terrible danger, Sarah Jane and Jo Grant realise their worst fears – their friendship with the Doctor might be the very thing that dooms them.

Oh coo-

Written by Russel. T. Davis

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

To any fans of Murray Gold's excellent work on Doctor Who, just thought I'd sweep in with a recommendation: from today, in the United Kingdom, the 2-disc Doctor Who: Series 4 - The Specials Original Television Soundtrack is available, ahead of next month's release of the Matt Smith score. Amazon amazingly got something right and delivered my copy this morning, and I'm listening to it now... and oh, my, God. *squee* If you're a fan, buy it now, seriously. Some of the greatest music ever composed (not just for television or media in general... just some of the greatest music ever composed, period).

It covers "The Next Doctor", "Planet of the Dead", "Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time". The first disc dwells on the first episode for eleven tracks, then somewhat rushes the next two episodes in ten tracks. The second disc, you'll be pleased to hear, is twenty-six tracks long and only has material from "The End of Time" two-part episode. As usual, the presentation is good, with notes on each track from Murray Gold in the insert (helpful in reminding you of episodes from nearly two years ago).

Eeeee, I might be naughty and buy this today in HMV if it's not TOO overpriced from the amazon version. I really shouldn't but... I listened to the iTunes previews and I WANT.

Annoyingly iTunes has two exclusive tracks, but I just have to own a physical copy of it. I'll prolly just leech those two tracks off the internet - to be honest I'd rather not have them stuck on the end after the fantastic finale of "The New Doctor".

I really really need to listen to the whole of "Altering Lives". The iTunes preview, just 30 secs of music, was beautiful. I love sad music, something each soundtrack lacked slightly more in with each release, but this of course has tons thanks to the steadily growing theme of Tennant's departure.

EDIT: Oh, now it's released, they've been kind enough to make the bonus tracks non-exclusive, sort of. You can buy them seperately for 79p each without buying the whole album. Yay.

Edited by JezMM

I really really need to listen to the whole of "Altering Lives". The iTunes preview, just 30 secs of music, was beautiful. I love sad music, something each soundtrack lacked slightly more in with each release, but this of course has tons thanks to the steadily growing theme of Tennant's departure.

Oh, God yes. This soundtrack is definitely the most epic and sweeping of the Doctor Who releases... and the most emotional. "Altering Lives" is a great example of that.

Don't get me wrong, it has some brilliantly fun moments, too. Tracks like "Hidden in the Closet", "A Special Sort of Bus" and "Wilf's Wiggle" are classic upbeat Murray Gold, er... gold. *laughs* But there are not only more touching, emotional tracks here but also more triumphant and victorious ones that are just as powerful and emotional. That said, nothing beats "A Lot of Life Behind Us" on Disc 2. You'll know what I mean when you hear it in full... and it comes from the scene where Wilf is begging the Doctor not to die, in the final episode. It really stands out, as it features a solo guitar for the first minute, something Murray Gold rarely (if ever) uses in his work for the show. And of course, before the bangingly brilliant conclusion of "The New Doctor", there's "Vale Decum" and the full, unheard version of "Vale". Freakin' wow.

Then you listen to the hillariously titled "Lithuania" and everything's fine again! :lol:

I think this soundtrack sums up my Monday, really, from every angle imaginable. Listened to it all the way through town, all the time at home and on the train in between.

I know a copy of the specials soundtrack arrived in the mail this morning. Its been got for me as a birthday present though, so I'll have to wait till Sunday before I can actually listen to it.

From everything I'm hearing about it though, it sounds like its the best soundtrack release yet. I'm very much looking foward to hearing it.