Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

That was awesome starting episode of Dr. Who! I'm surprised BBC America aired the episode the same day it aired in the UK considering it has usually aired new episodes a few weeks after they have aired in the UK.

A theory on the Doctor's real name;

I think it should be; Death, Abaddon or Azrael. All three of those names are things you'd want to hide, especially if you have a machine that translates everything you say. Plus they fit, because the Doctor does bring Death and Destruction where ever he goes. (Abaddon means Destroyer in Hebrew and Azrael means Angel of Death, also in Hebrew)

Why would the Doctor's real name be of Earthly origin?

It wouldn't, it'd be conveniently translated. Or if we're taking EU into account, the Master's name (Koschei) is also of Earthly origin, so make of that what you will.

Well, watched with anticipation but little hype on Saturday. I steered clear of spoilers, save the synopsis on the Sky+ HD box which mentioned a little girl, President Nixon and some scary aliens. I need to watch it again properly (as I was away over the weekend, so watched it on a smaller television screen with poor picture and sound) but overall, I was really disappointed. Judging from this article from BBC News Online I wasn't the only one, either.

Just for the record, here's my thoughts... spoiler-tagged, of course. ;)

GOOD - Well, 'tis the same show, after all...

As has become standard in the modern incarnations of the Time Lord since 2005, the script was packed with witty banter, excitement, thrills and science fiction. From seeing the TARDIS sporting a cloaking device (and landing in the Oval Office) to the excellent introduction for River Song in the desert, everything ticked along nicely. There were some really great jokes in there (the obvious being Mrs. Robinson, but also the "maybe we shouldn't tell the kids what that really meant" bit about screaming). Matt Smith seems comfortable as ever, although he's nowhere near David Tennant in terms of range.

GOOD - Father and Son

The character of Canton Everett Delaware III is obviously going to be important to the ongoing season, and he was played by William Morgan Sheppard in his first (elderly) appearance. When he appeared as a younger man, I was nicely surprised to see Mark Sheppard filling the shoes, since Mark is William's real-life son, and therefore the best actor to play a younger version of his father. Both have appeared in brilliant television science fiction before, with guest spots on both American and British shows. Top marks and a top character: a government suit who actually takes notice of the Doctor.

GOOD - President Richard M. Nixon

Yes, yes, and thrice yes... of all the holders of the presidency, he is without question the most fascinating for drama. Thanks to history's view of his leadership, and therefore society at large thinking of him (however wrongly) as a villain, there's a great tension with his involvement. Stuart Milligan portrayed him nicely balanced, without sliding into too much of an exaggerated character, and I had no idea (until I watched Doctor Who Confidential, shortly afterwards) that he was wearing a mask. By far and away an improvement over the dodgy Obama lookalike previously used.

GOOD - The Silence were actually damn scary, weren't they?

Concept aliens are tricky. The concept of forgetting an alien as soon as you turn your back on them isn't particularly terrifying on paper, but the way the episode executed it was absolutely brilliant. Not only that, but their design was beyond freaky. The moment in the White House bathroom, when that particular Silence killed/ate/vaporised/whatevered that poor woman, really got to me. The slowly-opening mouth that wasn't really a mouth... yikes. And the fact they're otherwise motionless most of the time adds to the tension. Keep them throughout the next twelve episodes, please!

BAD - Yeah. Kill the show, why don't you?

Matt Smith has to be the final Doctor now. Thanks for that, Steven Moffat. At least your predecessor had the grace to leave plot clues and hints in his work. In an interview with Doctor Who Confidential, Moffat said that it was the actual Doctor that actually got shot and was actually, properly killed. "No tricks," he said. There won't be a reversal. There are no gimmicks. The Eleventh Doctor was killed mid-regeneration and died in 2011. Not only does that mean Matt Smith can hold the show hostage, as nobody else can portray the Time Lord now, but it also means little or no future beyond a few more seasons. That's just an awful decision. Should there try and be some crazy workaround, it'll just make things even more complicated and even more stupid. Last year managed some excellent drama and storylines without the need to do ridiculous stunts like this... why now, Mr. Moffat?

BAD - "Oh, by the way, I'm pregnant."

The two characters who weren't written particularly well were Amy Pond and Rory Williams. Perhaps the latter can get away with it: he's easy to write anyway, and he at least had some cool moments sprinkled throughout an otherwise unremarkable appearance. But what happened to Amy? She lost her edge. Giving her back that edge with a last minute "shock revelation" was, in my opinion, pretty insulting to her and pretty insulting to the audience, too. I'm sure some found it an exciting addition, but it personally left me rather cold. Which is a shame, as I was really starting to like Pond.

BAD - President Richard M. Nixon

Yes, yes, and thrice yes... he makes it into both positive and negative comments. Because while bringing him aboard was genius, he was vastly underused. Shoved to the background of most shots, utterly pointless to the entire storyline (save being the one who got phoned by the Impossible Astronaut) and the single moment anybody discussed him, they beat on him. "Vietnam, Watergate... some good stuff, too," says River Song, only for the Doctor to have the final word and condemn Nixon's entire presidency. Bunch of hippie writers, let alone the Doctor himself. Lest we forget, Nixon ended the Vietnam War (so why River even listed it as a negative is beyond me). Not only that, but he's probably the single reason we're not currently at war with China. Don't even bother mentioning the environmental work, the war on cancer, or being the president who started détente with the Soviet Union... no, just beat him up. But slipping up with their historical homework, the writers make the Doctor say "not enough" in relation to Nixon's positive achievements. It would have been more fitting to apply the line to Watergate.

BAD - Play it again, Sam...

I adore the work of Murray Gold in scoring the modern incarnations of Doctor Who, hands down. He is talented beyond measure. No argument. So imagine my disappointment to hear half the latest episode's score recycled from last season. Especially at the key cliffhanger, as the Impossible Astronaut walked slowly into the room, there was a blatant cut-and-paste moment. Perhaps there was pressure behind the scenes, I don't know. I seem to remember somebody saying he'd scored this episode alongside the Christmas Special, and that had an entire new Christmas carol in it, to be fair.

Such was my reaction to the episode that, I'm sorry to say, unless the concluding part is something really special, I may not bother watching the rest of this year's run. Hopefully it simply suffers from being written as one long script and then being chopped in half, a common problem facing two-part episodes of some television shows.

Fingers crossed.

Well, watched with anticipation but little hype on Saturday. I steered clear of spoilers, save the synopsis on the Sky+ HD box which mentioned a little girl, President Nixon and some scary aliens. I need to watch it again properly (as I was away over the weekend, so watched it on a smaller television screen with poor picture and sound) but overall, I was really disappointed. Judging from this article from BBC News Online I wasn't the only one, either.

Just for the record, here's my thoughts... spoiler-tagged, of course. ;)

GOOD - Well, 'tis the same show, after all...

As has become standard in the modern incarnations of the Time Lord since 2005, the script was packed with witty banter, excitement, thrills and science fiction. From seeing the TARDIS sporting a cloaking device (and landing in the Oval Office) to the excellent introduction for River Song in the desert, everything ticked along nicely. There were some really great jokes in there (the obvious being Mrs. Robinson, but also the "maybe we shouldn't tell the kids what that really meant" bit about screaming). Matt Smith seems comfortable as ever, although he's nowhere near David Tennant in terms of range.

GOOD - Father and Son

The character of Canton Everett Delaware III is obviously going to be important to the ongoing season, and he was played by William Morgan Sheppard in his first (elderly) appearance. When he appeared as a younger man, I was nicely surprised to see Mark Sheppard filling the shoes, since Mark is William's real-life son, and therefore the best actor to play a younger version of his father. Both have appeared in brilliant television science fiction before, with guest spots on both American and British shows. Top marks and a top character: a government suit who actually takes notice of the Doctor.

GOOD - President Richard M. Nixon

Yes, yes, and thrice yes... of all the holders of the presidency, he is without question the most fascinating for drama. Thanks to history's view of his leadership, and therefore society at large thinking of him (however wrongly) as a villain, there's a great tension with his involvement. Stuart Milligan portrayed him nicely balanced, without sliding into too much of an exaggerated character, and I had no idea (until I watched Doctor Who Confidential, shortly afterwards) that he was wearing a mask. By far and away an improvement over the dodgy Obama lookalike previously used.

GOOD - The Silence were actually damn scary, weren't they?

Concept aliens are tricky. The concept of forgetting an alien as soon as you turn your back on them isn't particularly terrifying on paper, but the way the episode executed it was absolutely brilliant. Not only that, but their design was beyond freaky. The moment in the White House bathroom, when that particular Silence killed/ate/vaporised/whatevered that poor woman, really got to me. The slowly-opening mouth that wasn't really a mouth... yikes. And the fact they're otherwise motionless most of the time adds to the tension. Keep them throughout the next twelve episodes, please!

BAD - Yeah. Kill the show, why don't you?

Matt Smith has to be the final Doctor now. Thanks for that, Steven Moffat. At least your predecessor had the grace to leave plot clues and hints in his work. In an interview with Doctor Who Confidential, Moffat said that it was the actual Doctor that actually got shot and was actually, properly killed. "No tricks," he said. There won't be a reversal. There are no gimmicks. The Eleventh Doctor was killed mid-regeneration and died in 2011. Not only does that mean Matt Smith can hold the show hostage, as nobody else can portray the Time Lord now, but it also means little or no future beyond a few more seasons. That's just an awful decision. Should there try and be some crazy workaround, it'll just make things even more complicated and even more stupid. Last year managed some excellent drama and storylines without the need to do ridiculous stunts like this... why now, Mr. Moffat?

BAD - "Oh, by the way, I'm pregnant."

The two characters who weren't written particularly well were Amy Pond and Rory Williams. Perhaps the latter can get away with it: he's easy to write anyway, and he at least had some cool moments sprinkled throughout an otherwise unremarkable appearance. But what happened to Amy? She lost her edge. Giving her back that edge with a last minute "shock revelation" was, in my opinion, pretty insulting to her and pretty insulting to the audience, too. I'm sure some found it an exciting addition, but it personally left me rather cold. Which is a shame, as I was really starting to like Pond.

BAD - President Richard M. Nixon

Yes, yes, and thrice yes... he makes it into both positive and negative comments. Because while bringing him aboard was genius, he was vastly underused. Shoved to the background of most shots, utterly pointless to the entire storyline (save being the one who got phoned by the Impossible Astronaut) and the single moment anybody discussed him, they beat on him. "Vietnam, Watergate... some good stuff, too," says River Song, only for the Doctor to have the final word and condemn Nixon's entire presidency. Bunch of hippie writers, let alone the Doctor himself. Lest we forget, Nixon ended the Vietnam War (so why River even listed it as a negative is beyond me). Not only that, but he's probably the single reason we're not currently at war with China. Don't even bother mentioning the environmental work, the war on cancer, or being the president who started détente with the Soviet Union... no, just beat him up. But slipping up with their historical homework, the writers make the Doctor say "not enough" in relation to Nixon's positive achievements. It would have been more fitting to apply the line to Watergate.

BAD - Play it again, Sam...

I adore the work of Murray Gold in scoring the modern incarnations of Doctor Who, hands down. He is talented beyond measure. No argument. So imagine my disappointment to hear half the latest episode's score recycled from last season. Especially at the key cliffhanger, as the Impossible Astronaut walked slowly into the room, there was a blatant cut-and-paste moment. Perhaps there was pressure behind the scenes, I don't know. I seem to remember somebody saying he'd scored this episode alongside the Christmas Special, and that had an entire new Christmas carol in it, to be fair.

Such was my reaction to the episode that, I'm sorry to say, unless the concluding part is something really special, I may not bother watching the rest of this year's run. Hopefully it simply suffers from being written as one long script and then being chopped in half, a common problem facing two-part episodes of some television shows.

Fingers crossed.

Hi, Glenn I recommed watching it again perhaps on BBC iPlayer I even had the subtitles so that I didn't mishear any of the dialogue I found that have enjoyed the episode much better and I am looking forward to next week. I first watched it on a really nice TV but it dosen't help when my Uncle comes to vist and is pulling silly faces at my little Nephew whos giggling away and then gets cranky a few minutes later. ;)

Just realised I haven't given my verdict on The Impossible Astronaut yet, so here we go...

In short, I was left not knowing how to describe my reaction to the episode. And I don't mean that in a "it was so good I can't put it into words!" way, either. I literally didn't know what to make of it. It certainly had its moments but overall I felt confused and, to an extent, even frustrated with it all.

Perhaps it's just the fact that I've become so used to light-hearted, one-part series openers that I wasn't prepared for something on such a grand scale. But there's "grand scale" and then there's The Impossible Astronaut. Having The Doctor killed within the first ten minutes was undoubtedly a bold move and caught many a viewer off-guard, I'm sure (personally I was waiting for a Journey's End-esque cop-out of the regeneration so seeing him get shot again was quite the shocker)... but it's also too much, too soon. Excluding the opening with The Doctor messing about in history (which felt rather forced and out of place, even if The Doctor dancing with Laurel & Hardy was genius), it was the first real 'event' in the episode with no build-up whatsoever. I know the idea was for it to come out of nowhere, but something so significant, something that potentially affects the entire future of the show... not doing it for me, I'm afraid. Of course time will be rewritten and the death will be averted, but there's only so much wibbly wobbly timey wimey that I can take.

Oh, and Amy being pregnant? Far too predictable. And annoying, seeing as it implies Amy and Rory will leave after this series to look after Baby Pond, and also she was pregnant in Amy's Choice last series, too. What with Rory being killed off twice in Series 5, it really does feel like they're struggling for ideas in some respects now. In other respects though... boy oh boy, The Silence! Yes, they're not very developed so far, but a monster that you forget as soon as you look away? Intriguing! My only problem with them - why are they wearing suits...?

While I'm on the subject of the writing - I have to applaud Steven Moffat's humour. The Doctor's special straw ("it adds extra fizz!"), The Doctor sneaking about in the oval office, The Doctor getting all excited about a space helmet... good stuff.

But, ultimately, it was 45 minutes where a lot happened but not much of it made sense. I followed it, but I don't have any clue as to why it's all happening. I enjoyed it somewhat... moreso on a second viewing... but Day of the Moon has got a lot of explaining to do. And if that's the angle they were going for (namely, "baffle the hell out of them in Episode 1 so they tune in to Episode 2 to understand it all", then they've succeeded.

• Thumbs Up 1

This episodes reminds of when I first watched the Matrix and Inception, I was like that was really really good but what the heck does it all mean? :lol:

I guess we have tune next weekend to make a bit more sense of it all! ;)

Edited by BW199148

Following sage advice from BW, I just rewatched the episode in HD, with 5.1 surround, from the recording on my Sky+ HD box. It made the entire experience feel more cinematic, absolutely, and taking the whole production to the United States of America certainly helped... big time, did it help, in that spectacular opening shot of River Song. And especially in the glimpse of next week's episode with...

...Rory hanging over the Hoover Dam...

...but overall? Regarding plot and content and characters? I'm still disappointed, I'm sorry to say. It also hurt to hear the musical score properly in places. As yes, there were some nice new refrains that I'd missed before (especially the haunting melody played during River's conversation with Rory) but that cliffhanger ending with the cut-and-paste piece was still awful. It was so blatant because, even if you're not a soundtrack obsessive like me, Murray Gold reused the piece from the end of last year's cliffhanger ending...

...remember? The one with the Doctor being forced into the Pandorica and the universe going pop? Yeah, that bit...

...which was an outstanding piece of music. Written for an outstanding moment. A lone, single moment of such importance that reusing the score again, so soon, just feels cheap. But that's perhaps the single one of my upsets that I can forgive, thanks to the effort I saw Murray Gold throwing behind the Christmas Special. Anyway, ramble ramble... watching it again, I found myself nodding along with what I'd written earlier, especially regarding President Nixon. There needs to be a darn good reason behind his involvement. It can't just be "Oh, and it happened to be a direct line to the White House," especially since...

...Nixon himself said he gets called "wherever I am"...

...and finally?

The death of the Doctor left me cold, again. I know poor Karen Gillan acted her heart out atop the Doctor's corpse, and that she was truly shaken by the emotion she put into the scene, but there was too much confusion (and too much frowning on my part) to fully appreciate that raw feeling. Emotional moments are things that have been perfectly captured since 2005. One of the first times I ever cried at television... and I mean properly, properly cried... was when Rose Tyler and the Tenth Doctor parted ways in Bad Wolf Bay, hologram cut short just before he could say "I love you", and even then nobody was dying! Here we have the end of an icon. Here we have the ultimate conclusion to the ultimate British television show. And in three minutes flat, he's dead, on fire and sinking into a lake. Not exactly as heartwrenching as "I don't want to go", is it?

I do love how everybody's using spoiler tags, though. :D "Spoilers!"

I said it on Facebook and I'll say it again: this season, Doctor Who finally fires up the retard filters... and lo, the fanbase was instantly split. I've even spotted some people calling for the return of RTD, and that's a hell of a marked departure for the fanbase.

Even professional reviewers are getting confused by this episode somehow, which I don't understand because I followed the whole thing perfectly first time around. This leads me to conclude that anyone incapable of following the episode must be retarded in some capacity. *shrug*

This is the kicker though...

But Kevin O'Sullivan, writing in the Sunday Mirror, said the episode was called The Impossible Astronaut because it was "impossible to understand" complaining that "this ball of all-round confusion was no way to start a series".

The episode had been written for "strictly sci-fi nerds only", he added.

IT'S A SCI-FI SHOW REVOLVING AROUND TIME TRAVEL

Fucking mainstream press, every time... ._.

EDIT: One point to address, because it's especially silly:

The Doctor is dead, but that death can be undone, and has to be... because otherwise River Song would already have started to fade out from the canon timeline. Think about it.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan

The problem isn't with following it. The storyline is perfectly clear. In fact, too clear, as...

...the Doctor is dead.

That's too clear for me, alas. I'd quite like some weird confusion to allow an escape from that cul-de-sac of a plot. And each to their own, but that's a pretty major thing to get wrong, in my opinion.

Also, the beauty of the post-2005 incarnations of the Doctor has been the huge success thanks to the widespread appeal. Everybody gathered around on a Saturday evening and watched the show. It was brilliant, bringing all ages of a family together. So while I generally agree with the fact that the mainstream tabloid press are obsessed with the lowest common denominator (and as such want lots of gags about boobies), I can also agree with that quote from Kevin O'Sullivan. There's writing a science fiction show with broad appeal, and then there's writing a science fiction show for science fiction fans. Up until Saturday, the reinvention of the Time Lord had been the former.

I can see why the episode would have a mixed reaction. So much shit was thrown, it's a bit hard what to make of it all. It's pretty much impossible for me to judge the episode by its own merits as it's basically just a set-up for part two and the rest of the series.

I do however have to agree with Glenn about the musical score... I guess it saves money that can be spend on other areas such as the visuals... Gawd Series 5 looked terrible at times. |3;

The problem isn't with following it---

Maybe not for you, which is why whilst I disagree strongly with your disappointment (as this is already my favourite season of the show since 2005 and it's only just started) I can respect your view, there's a large portion of the audience who actually are struggling to understand the episode, and that's the part that really grates on my nerves, because if the producers actually listen to the thicker sector of the fanbase then we'll have limp plots aplenty for all time.

EDIT: By the way, I predict that if time does not get rewritten and everything stays as-is, the Doctor will regenerate Master-style; remember how the Master came back from the dead? That only failed because it was deliberately sabotaged.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan

Spoke to my Mum on she thought of the Episode she admited she wasn't keen, she found confusing especially for an opening episode it is pretty heavy, don't know and she is quite into ScFi like Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I don't dislike the episode I just found difficult to get my head around, I had to watch twice.

Hopefully the next episode will make a bit more sense of it all, hopefully. :)

I have no doubt that The Doctor will wibbly-wobbly-timey etc. his way out of the situation he is now in. I mean, he survived being written out of existance, I doubt this'll be any different. There will be future incarnations of the Doctor.

Edited by Gerkuman

...and she is quite into ScFi like Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Ask her about "Yesterday's Enterprise" (TNG) and see if the same confusion is still there. ;)

Also, to Velotix, that's fair enough. :)

nightdoctor.jpg

It's difficult to know how things will pan out here because we've only seen the first episode, and it was far more well made than any other Who series starter I can remember.

Who is the Spaceman? The most popular theories suggest River Song, which would tie that event in with her going to the Storm Cage and what she said last year about "killing the greatest man in the universe" or something like that. But it could be someone or something else, we just don't know.

Who is River Song? The most popular theories on her say she is Amy and Rory's daughter. Crazy stuff if true, but it might just fit; She has traveled extensively in time, and if she grew up in the TARDIS traveling with her parents and the Doctor, that might imbue her with a deep knowledge of how it operates, hence her ability to make it do things the Doctor has forgotten.

Who are the Silents? Scariest creatures since the Angels, undoubtedly their details will spew forth by the series end.

What becomes of the Doctor? I think that his next regenerative cycle, or even his final death, may be connected intimately with River Song herself. Does she kill him? Does he die/regen to save her when she first meets him?

I'm looking forward to finding answers to all that. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, I always though it was pretty damned obvious that River Song is The Doctor's future wife or whatever. Or is that just me? D:

Granted, that doesn't say a lot about who she is, where she's from, how she got there and where she's going, but still!

EDIT: Also, not wanting to sound racist, but isn't there a bit of an ethnicity mismatch for River to be Rory and Amy's daughter? D:

Edited by -Mark-

^ Yeah but that's too obvious, so it's unlikely that this will be the case. Am I making sense?

I dunno, I always though it was pretty damned obvious that River Song is The Doctor's future wife or whatever. Or is that just me? D:

She is his future wife, or as close as you can get (she even knew his real name at the end of her arc), that much was made clear the first time(s) they met. But her being his future doesn't explain who she is. We still know very little about her.

So I finally got around to watching this. I waffled a bit since I hadn't seen the Christmas special either, and I wanted to watch that before I watched this. I'm kind of glad I waited, though, so I don't have to wait as long to get to Day of the Moon.

Anyway, it was quite good. The Utah landscape was seriously pretty, and it lent an some authenticity to the rest of the episode, even the scenes that weren't shot in the US. Okay, the White House scene wasn't especially impressive, bu it completely baffled me to read that the diner bits weren't filmed in America. I'm really starting to like River, too. She was okay in Silence in the Library, but she's really grown on me over time. I actually kind of wish she could've been introduced earlier; how much more impact would her character have had if we'd first met her in, say, the Seventh Doctor's era, or the Fifth's? I know, it's a thousand kinds of impossible, but it just feels weird that someone so important is so late. Still, I went back and re-watched a bit of Silence in the Library after her scene with Rory, and it really felt a lot more substantial with a bit more knowledge about who she really is. Clever stuff.

Two issues, though: First, while the Silent/ce was definitely creepy and I'm really interested in seeing more of it, I think that scene in the bathroom went just a little bit too far. I feel like the Silent was much more effective in the scenes where it appeared at a distance, so seeing the rubber suit up close and hearing it speak in a generic deep alien voice kind of spoiled things a bit. Second, the Silent distracted a bit from the A-plot of the episode. I mean, the astronaut killed the Doctor and was even in the name of the episode, and I kept forgetting that it was even around because JESUS CHRIST SLENDERMAN. Not really a problem, I guess, but I do hope the astronaut gets a little more screentime next episode.

Just a heads up, there was a new 'comming up on the BBC' trailer on just after the national lottery.

The trailer showed that the following enemies would return...

Cybermen... and one of them looked a little different to the usual kind.

That's was good, might have to watch it again my baby Nephew decided to wake up right in the middle and spit his dummy out (literially), so the dialogue was drowned out by his cries. All I know is its sill all a bit wibble wobbly timey wimey which still hurts my heady weady (wow, that makes me sound three years old).

Regenarating girl? WTF!

:blink:

I think I may need to watch it again, it was quite hard keeping track of everything, especially with all the time travel going on and the president randomly popping in and out of a few scenes, also was it really nessecary to have the the presidents theme play every single time he walked into a room.

I enjoyed it, but its one to watch a second time.

And one of the scariest for a while.

Regnerating girl? Thats a tad random

Very good episode.

Like Siriku, I really l liked that line about David Frost towards the end. The final scene with the little girl was a big WTF moment. I have a feeling she's going to be playing a big role later on in the series.

Edited by Kevin