Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

It was all a setup by The Doctor? Cheap plot cop-out is cheap. D:

Still, I'm actually liking the dynamic that Rory brings to the show- as you said, it's nice having a third person involved which sort of lessens the whole 'Doctor and companion' sexual tension.

But yeah, the end was a bit sweet, and redeemed Amy a bit after, erm, 'that' scene. Although at the same time it did seem like they almost forced the whole plot point- I mean, two episodes ago she wanted to sleep with The Doctor, and now all of a sudden she's totally faithful to Rory. Nice they redeemed her character, but the whole thing did seem a bit rushed. I mean, I know they only have thirteen episodes to work with, but still.

I really liked Amy's Choice, it was a really good episode in just about every respect. Not sure what else to say about it, I thought it was scary, well written and you never had an idea as to what was happening until it was shown to you.

Theres only two things that I didn't like about it.

* The crash... there is no way that they died from that drive, how could it have built up enough speed? I thought it would have been better if they overloaded the Tardis' core or something, something that would have killed them but stopped the aliens at the same time in case it was the real world.

* The Dream Lords defeat, I wanted him to become a real character! I would love to see a return of that guy in the future. He was great, and a great idea too, a being thats almost as powerful and cunning as the Doctor but one which doesn't actually want him to die or to destroy him.

It was all a setup by The Doctor? Cheap plot cop-out is cheap. D:

Aw c'mon, he didn't mean it. His dark side is coming out and he can't control it, and like MK suggested it's very possibly a consequence of him coming towards his last lives.

But yeah, the end was a bit sweet, and redeemed Amy a bit after, erm, 'that' scene. Although at the same time it did seem like they almost forced the whole plot point- I mean, two episodes ago she wanted to sleep with The Doctor, and now all of a sudden she's totally faithful to Rory. Nice they redeemed her character, but the whole thing did seem a bit rushed. I mean, I know they only have thirteen episodes to work with, but still.

I dunno, she's been through a lot, that kind of thing is a massive experience that noone in this forum could ever fully comprehend. ;P

Plus there's the fact that many "Doctor and companion" adventures happen in between episodes sometimes, as exampled by The Doctor chatting with Rose/Martha/Donna about things they'd seen that we, the viewers, hadn't.

@ The crash,

Yes I definitely agree with this, in a big van like that, I don't think they would have died from that crash. This is picking at straws, but perhaps a deep level of unconsciousness is all that was needed?

@ The DreamLord's defeat,

I think it was brilliantly done, every last spec. Just disappearing as randomly as he appeared. Plus his return is inevitable from the eerie cliffhanger at the end, and and truly can't wait for that day, it should be epic.

I just saw it again on BBC3 after the iPlayer trouble yesterday. After watching it again I was even more impressed at how well structured the episode was.

Something I noticed whilst watching the second time...

It was snowing, a lot. Does anyone else think the snow may have been ash? It's evident from how empty the village is.. those aliens had been feeding off the life energy of the townsfolk for quite a bit, inconspicuously. The snow in the air could well have been the ash of those already dead.

I originally thought the snow symbolised the TARDIS growing colder and colder, but then the snow actually stopped later on as the TARDIS continued to get colder.

Just an observation, I honestly believe the snow had some kind of significance.

Edited by SuperLink

It was ok. I liked it mostly overall, but I don't really understand the whole "darkside of the doctor" thing, maybe it's because I didn't find it very dark. I also don't like that Amy chose Rory. I don't like Rory though, I find him irritatingly pathetic and boring. Amy's a strong character and he just doesn't fit well with her, in my opinion. He doesn't push her to be more, but neither is he her rock who keeps her grounded. He's just sort of...there.

Calling all UK Doctor Who fans - prepare yourselves for an epic live arena tour of your favourite television series!

_47858415_who_466.jpg

Daleks and Cybermen are to tread the boards as TV hit Doctor Who regenerates into a live action arena tour.

The Tardis will materialise in nine UK cities on a 25-date Doctor Who Live tour in a spin-off that will see epic on-stage battles and special effects.

While Doctor Who Matt Smith will not appear live on stage, he and assistant Karen Gillan have filmed special scenes for the show.

Writer Steven Moffatt said he wanted to recreate the excitment for the stage.

"This is everything I ever wanted since I was 11," he said. "A live show, with all the coolest Doctor Who monsters, a proper story, and brand new screen material for Matt Smith's Doctor.

"I'll be writing scenes for it, and probably attending every single night."

Doctor Who Live will open in wartime London and end with what is described as an "epic on-stage battle".

The action will be set to a live soundtrack by TV show composer Murray Gold, with a 16-piece orchestra live on stage.

Gold said: "The live element always adds something extra, but these will also be brand new arrangements for a new band of very talented musicians. It's very exciting."

DOCTOR WHO TOUR DATES

* Oct 8-10 - Wembley Arena

* Oct 12-13 - Sheffield Arena

* Oct 14-17 - Glasgow SECC

* Oct 18-20 - Birmingham NIA

* Oct 22-24 - Manchester MEN Arena

* Oct 25-26 - Notts Trent FM Arena

* Oct 28-31 - Cardiff Int Arena

* Nov 2-3 - Liverpool Echo Arena

* Nov 6-7 - Belfast Odyssey Arena

I am seriously intrigued by this. It's going to be a live Doctor Who story... with The Doctor and Amy only getting involved via pre-recorded videos. I'm guessing it's going to be a bit like the Doctor Who proms, but much bigger and much more action-orientated.

Sorry to double post but big news just in - the titles of the two finale episodes!

As rumoured (and hinted at by what characters have actually said in the episodes so far), they are as follows:

Episode 12 - The Pandorica Opens

Episode 13 - The Big Bang

For those who wish to find out a bit about these episodes, check out this synopsis from the Radio Times provided by head writer Steven Moffat...

4477193338_516ee315f2.jpg

Also, the Cybermen seem to be in these episodes - if only because we've seen them in trailers and they don't seem to fit into the plots of Episodes 8-11, at least not obviously.

So, the Adventure games aren't cannon?

Canon, but self-contained. Otherwise fans who don't play video games would be pissed off.

Sorry to double post but big news just in - the titles of the two finale episodes!

As rumoured (and hinted at by what characters have actually said in the episodes so far), they are as follows:

Episode 12 - The Pandorica Opens

Episode 13 - The Big Bang

For those who wish to find out a bit about these episodes, check out this synopsis from the Radio Times provided by head writer Steven Moffat...

4477193338_516ee315f2.jpg

Also, the Cybermen seem to be in these episodes - if only because we've seen them in trailers and they don't seem to fit into the plots of Episodes 8-11, at least not obviously.

I'll just tag this under spoilers...

The usual finale which will involve pepper pots and tin men fucking shit up as usual? The whole story arc seems to be interesting. What is the Pandorica anyway? What does it contain? Perhaps the Crack spits out what we've had in the RTD era and the box contains something else. Original Cybermen perhaps? This will probably be the case and if they are in, let's hope they're not the hopeless fucks that we've had for the past few years and they're the badass version from the 80's.

Vincent and the Doctor Synopsis

Terror lurks in the cornfields of Provence, but only a sad and lonely painter can see it, as the time-travelling drama continues with an episode written by Richard Curtis. Amy Pond finds herself shoulder to shoulder with Vincent Van Gogh, in a battle with a deadly alien.

And in better news, no break for Eurovision this year!

So tonight's episode, "The Hungry Earth"... was okay. An improvement at least!

Back to a more standard adventure yarn, without trying to do anything clever, which I appreciated. I forgot it was a two-parter, so the ending was a big surprise! Also nicely creepy, lots of cool horror moments and a decent-looking enemy in decent-looking makeup.

Enjoyed it! :)

"I'm asking nicely, put them away"

*Creepy smile*

Great stuff. He was much more menacing and angry there, without resorting to shouting like Tennant did quite often.

The Hungry Earth... previously titled The Ground Beneath Their Feet... hmm... what did I think of it?

It was alright. Were it a standalone episode I'd be criticising it for the fact that it seemed a bit slow without much actually happening, but as it's a two-parter I think it was quite an interesting build-up to what looks like an absolutely awesome second part next week.

This episode was basically all about The Doctor, whereas in previous weeks it's been very much about Amy or Rory. With Amy consumed by the earth quite early on and Rory only playing a minimal role thus far, it was Matt Smith's time to shine - and shine he did. I couldn't help but feeling we should have seen a bit more of Amy after she was taken though. The whole "going to be dissected" scene felt a bit out of place at the end, but I suppose it was necessary as part of the cliffhanger.

So overall a good episode. Not amazing, not the best in the series by any means, but good.

(Haven't posted here for a while... O-o)

Yeah, The Hungry Earth was alright. Nothing special really. But I'm sure that once the second part comes along, these two episodes will tie in nicely. To me this wouldn't work as a standalone anyway, and the ending came very quickly. When me and my dad were watching it and it suddenly skipped to the Next Episode preview, we were like "What?? Nuuuu, not now~!" ^ ^;;;

I can't wait to see what the next episode will bring us, and I'm also very excited for the Van Gogh episode. =D Thank God the bloody Eurovision isn't pushing Doctor Who back~

I found The Hungry Earth fairly average, myself. Wan't good, wasn't bad, was just... there. I never really felt like I was getting into the episode, and it did feel somewhat like they were just ticking boxes for a paint-by-numbers type plot, to me.

So yeah, nothing particularly gripping, but then the first parts of two-parters can often be fairly slow and uneventful.

Also, was I the only one feeling really uncomfortable when Amy woke up in that glass coffin type thing? I'm a tad claustrophobic myself, and that scene did make me cringe a bit.

Pretty good episode, like others have said, nothing spectacular, but not disappointing either. I love the idea of a race of reptile humans living deep in the Earth, pre-dating even humans. It's a bit farfetched, but that's what I like about Doctor Who a lot of the time.

The Sonic Screwdriver not working on wood seems to be a bit of a rule now, perhaps to add a handicap to all the "use it to solve everything" complaints? Also speaking of which, he used it to hack the computers to tell him whatever he wanted. >:

"DON'T DISS THE SONIC"

Can't wait for next week's, I really wasn't expecting it to be a two parter.

Also I fucking loved Matt Smith in that episode, that's gotta be one of the highlights. Really nice to see him putting some real trust into Rory too, he was never that nice to Mickey.

Am I the only one who wasn't surprised it was a two-parter? I checked my TV guide beforehand and it said '1/2'

I guess knowing it's a two-parter can spoil the suspense at times, though.

Oh, and please tell me I wasn't the only one here who smirked knowingly at said "Don't diss the Sonic" line? ;)

Edited by Mahzes

The episode was mostly just set-up for the next episode, but it was really rather good for a set-up episode I thought. Nice to see the Silurians make a come-back too, they've been gone too long.

Also, was I the only one feeling really uncomfortable when Amy woke up in that glass coffin type thing? I'm a tad claustrophobic myself, and that scene did make me cringe a bit.

Definitely. Conscious dissections was also surprisingly nightmare fuel-ish for Doctor Who. This series is really pushing the boundries with... everything. Seduction scenes, penis size jokes... and now something mature in a very different way. D8

I expected this to be a two-parter, but more because we've just reached that point in the series. We just had two single parters in a row and have crossed over the halfway point. This is how it goes.

Edited by JezMM

News just in!

Episode 11 has changed its title from The Lodger to Don't Go Up The Stairs, along with a synopsis:

"There's a house on Aickman road, and a staircase that people go up, but never down, as the time-travelling drama continues.

To solve the mystery of the man upstairs, the Doctor faces his greatest challenge yet – he must pass himself off as a perfectly normal human being, and share a flat with Craig Owens."

EDIT: Maybe not, actually. The BBC press office have changed the title back to The Lodger... title confusion ahoy!

Edited by Doctor MK

To solve the mystery... the Doctor faces his greatest challenge yet.

126617741921.jpg

STOP SAYING THAT EVERY FUCKING EPISODE.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I'm watching The One Show, and Amy Pond is on, well the actress who plays her, looking lovely (I have a soft spot for red-heads) and they're talking about the differences between men and women (The One Show is quite crap) and Doctor Who. Then I thought, why isn't Matt Smith on?

Then I thought, well what has he been on? And then I thought, well.... he was on Jonathan Ross about 3 weeks before Doctor Who started. Then I thought, he must have been on something else surely? But no... It's all about Amy, as far as I can recall, the girl who plays Amy Pond has been on major BBC shows since Doctor Who started, the last I can remember was Graham Norton, but other than Johnathan Ross, I can't even think of a single show that Matt Smith has been on since then.

Now, around episode 3, we were all talking about how Amy seems to steal the show, in every episode she more or less solves the problem or saves the day, she did it in episode 2, episode 3, episode 4 (turning off the TV screen), Episode 5 she tries to have her way with the doctor. Episode 6 she's a huge plot device. Episode 7 was called 'Amy's choice' and again it was all about her. So far, the first part of the two parter has not been about her/shes not had much of an impact.

Yes other companions have had 'moments' but I can't remember the last time a companion had so many that over-shadowed the Doctor so many times.

Is it just my imagination, or is this series of Doctor Who not really staring Doctor Who? Even the appearences of it's stars on shows are either of Amy or the weeks 'guest star' Matt Smith seems to be getting a lot less extra press in favour of his companion and the episodes themselves are also reflecting this.

I recall from somewhere that David Tennant was banned from public appearances whilst he had the role: that might have something to do with it? Or maybe this particular Doctor isn't too interested in doing interviews.

Was in WHSmiths this evening and had a quick flick through the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine which contains some info on the finale (The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang - broadcasting 19th June and 26th June respectively).

I didn't read the whole article about it but from the images alone it can be confirmed that the Cybermen and Stonehenge are in the finale. As are roman soldiers, for some reason.

OH MY GAWD WOW

SPOILER TAGS PEOPLE

WE'RE AT SPOILER DEFCON 1

REPEAT

WE'RE AT SPOILER DEFCON 1

So Serious Business is afoot now.

The TARDIS may be set to explode? Rory was erased from history?

Big clues that the Pandorica is the TARDIS itself what with him pulling a chunk of it from the wreckage, as well as the relatively quiet motif this season about "time can be rewritten".

Looks like the Doctor's going to be doing some rewriting. Good thing he give it a shot already in the Waters of Mars episode, eh?

This will be good. Really good. Best season finale of Doctor Who incoming?

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan