Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

D:

Very interesting when I think about it that way...

In any case I doubt we'll be seeing River again in this series. Do you think her final appearance will be when Matt Smith's role is over? Or will he "die" like Tennant first did (i.e. the whole thing with the hand)?

Also do you think that for River, the next time she sees him is in the Library? Because she seems like she's a completely different person at that point... being a professor and all. Also how can the Doctor trust her with things like his real name if... well you know where I'm going? All these questions are probably completely intentional. Dammit xD

It's kinda sad to think that after Smith dies there can only be two more Doctors. Afaik he can only regenerate 12 times, meaning the Thirteenth Doctor will be the last.

Theres actually been more 'doctors' than that... only certain docs don't 'count.' They'll find a way to keep him going, they always do, he won't ever die, there will be something that says "I can go on!"

River will be back by the end of this series. She said he will next see her "when the Pandorica opens", which for her has presumably already happened, and that relates directly to a rumoured title for one of the series finale episodes. I really can't wait for them to release an official time-line for the Doctor and River Song's story, one for each of them, charting the episodes they meet in both of their chronologies.

And no, the next time will not be in the Library. In that episode she alluded to a much older-looking, arguably more mature Doctor (hopefully one of his final incarnations will be in his 40s or 50s or something) who took her to a spacey-sounding theatre, knowing full well what she was getting herself into and being utterly powerless to stop it, and the things she listed off when she asked "have we done this yet?" sounded fairly extensive. I hope that River becomes the Doctor's travelling companion for a while sometime soon, I'd like to think he'd spend some real time with her before deciding to pop the question.

And technically there can only be one more after Smith...

And no, the next time will not be in the Library. In that episode she alluded to a much older-looking, arguably more mature Doctor (hopefully one of his final incarnations will be in his 40s or 50s or something) who took her to a spacey-sounding theatre, knowing full well what she was getting herself into and being utterly powerless to stop it, and the things she listed off when she asked "have we done this yet?" sounded fairly extensive. I hope that River becomes the Doctor's travelling companion for a while sometime soon, I'd like to think he'd spend some real time with her before deciding to pop the question.

But... she might have been lying. D:

If she kills him, I'd find it very hard to believe he could ever trust her... also, I really really don't like her, and I'm kinda hoping that she's a villain.

And technically there can only be one more after Smith...

? I thought there would be two. The Twelfth Doctor would only be his eleventh incarnation, and he can regenerate twelve times.

You know. It's gonna hurt your brains if you keep discussing something like regeneration. Besides, technically, he did regenerate somewhat in those animated Doctor Who episodes.

If she kills him, I'd find it very hard to believe he could ever trust her... also, I really really don't like her, and I'm kinda hoping that she's a villain.

? I thought there would be two. The Twelfth Doctor would only be his eleventh incarnation, and he can regenerate twelve times.

Well yes you are correct, 12 regenerations = 13 Doctors BUT he used up a regeneration in Journey's End didn't he? I mean, he himself never regenerated but he did use one up to created Handy and DoctorDonna. Still, they'll find away around...infact I believe RTD has been quoted saying "The Time War gave every one a thousand lifes" haha.

~JoB

Come on, she was a kissogram in the first ep. D: Also, 'into' her fiancé or not, if she wasn't into him then she shouldn't have agreed to marry him in the first place. D: Certainly not an excuse to want/ have a fling with The Doctor the night before her wedding, for crying out loud. D:

Hey, we barely know anything about the couple yet. I'm just saying, give the show a chance to surprise us before you draw conclusions. I can think of plenty of excuses to have a fling with the Doctor. 8D

Edited by JezMM

He knows she is his future and he cannot escape it (though he does try I suppose). If the only way to stop the fire at the end of the universe is for him to throw himself and the TARDIS into it, he'll do it, but that I don't think will happen until the very end of the final Doctor's series, which could, in my view, preceed a two-five year break and a complete series reset, with the Time Lords, the Doctor and the Daleks all back where they were when the show first began. The Doctor's final act to save the universe will prompt some kind of giant time rewind or something, retconning a lot of big shit but also giving us perhaps a fresh 13 Doctors and many more years of great stories. Or perhaps the Doctor unlocks the Time War just as the fires are about the engulf everything... feeding it his war-maddened species and the Daleks quenches its thirst and does some crazy tech shit that makes everything okay again. I dunno.

This Pandorica business and River and the Doctor must be connected though, and she spoke so highly of the man she "killed" it can only have been him (but I bet what others saw as a killing was really a clever ploy!). We'll find out soon enough.

Well yes you are correct, 12 regenerations = 13 Doctors BUT he used up a regeneration in Journey's End didn't he? I mean, he himself never regenerated but he did use one up to created Handy and DoctorDonna.

I really don't think that counts xD it definitely wasn't a full regeneration, more like a restoration.

@ Patticus

That's a nuts theory you have there. Almost too predictable "throwing himself into the end of the universe", but I suppose it's just one example of things that could happen...

I can't really see them ending it so predictably, with the Thirteenth Doctor dying, there would have to be a way to continue it, but then they run the risk of canon rape. Noone likes a series that's past its prime time so much that it has to be "forced" to continue, you know? Although knowing the writers, they probably already have ideas of what's going to happen when the Thirteenth Doctor dies, it seems to be approaching quite quickly, especially if Smith only lasts one series... (if River kills him I assume he regenerates again?)

I do hope Smith lasts more than one season. Okay, so he's not my favourite Doctor, but then neither was Eccleston. It just feels a bit of a cheat, s'all. Tennant was amazingly perfect because he had time to grow. I think much of Season Two is his weakest stuff, and his farewell at Christmas/New Year was his best moments yet, acting-wise. And I really, really want to love Smith's Doctor, and have a feeling I could do if he's given more time in the role.

The last couple of incarnations of the Doctor, Smith included, will need to last a good few series' each. I don't think they'll easily be able to push beyond the regeneration limit without doing something huge like, say, saving the Time Lords and preventing the Time War and them, by way of a reward, granting him an extended life (which he rails against but can do little to prevent).

I think he should be able to die a final death though, and I think it'd be fitting if River were there for it as he was there for hers. After that they could focus on Captain Jack on his post-Torchwood wanderings through the universe, the Doctor's daughter doing her thing (the TARDIS could home in on her life signal after the Doctor dies) and even River herself in her solo endeavours for a while, before possibly bringing back the Doctor a few years later (in a complete series reboot, going back to the very first incarnation) with the promise of many more years of life.

I do hope Smith lasts more than one season. Okay, so he's not my favourite Doctor, but then neither was Eccleston. It just feels a bit of a cheat, s'all. Tennant was amazingly perfect because he had time to grow. I think much of Season Two is his weakest stuff, and his farewell at Christmas/New Year was his best moments yet, acting-wise. And I really, really want to love Smith's Doctor, and have a feeling I could do if he's given more time in the role.

You'll be pleased to hear that Matt Smith (and Karen Gillan, I believe) have been confirmed to be staying on for the 2010 Christmas Special and the 2011 Series (Series 6).

So we're getting at least two series out of Matt, and I remember reading somewhere he'd signed a three year contract. So I doubt he'll be regenerating at the end of this series.

I really don't think that counts xD it definitely wasn't a full regeneration, more like a restoration.

But he shot glowy magic out of his hands. He was shot by A Dalek did the regenerative explosion and then syphoned it off into his spare hand, healing himself but not changing, so presumably that used up a whole regeneration.

I remember reading somewhere he'd signed a three year contract. So I doubt he'll be regenerating at the end of this series.

I had read that he signed a three year contract with an optional two years if he's successful. So yeah, Matt has at least five years before he needs to sign anything new.

But he shot glowy magic out of his hands. He was shot by A Dalek did the regenerative explosion and then syphoned it off into his spare hand, healing himself but not changing, so presumably that used up a whole regeneration.

Knowing the writers though, they'd more likely take every loophole and plot device available to them in order to prolong the life of the series and The Doctor, especially since the "final end" is so close now.

So I honestly think that particular regeneration won't affect the existence of a Thirteenth Doctor.

Edited by BritishLink

Oh yeah ofcourse, infact Moff as been on the record saying that we're getting a "cheeky explanation" soon so yeah, keep your ears peeled.

Why are we talking about regeneration and not the prospect of sorting out Amy Pond. 8I Internets I am dissapoint.

Why are we talking about regeneration and not the prospect of sorting out Amy Pond. 8I Internets I am dissapoint.

We did discuss it. Now we're bored.

We did discuss it. Now we're bored.

What Jack said, I am extremely disappoint in Amy, and only The Doctor is smart enough to sort that out :x

Also regeneration is so interesting and it's an idea that spans decades and decades of storytelling... Amy will probably be around for 2 or 3 years. ;D

Im on Episode 4-5 of Series 1 (2005). The aliens look so stupid :lol:. Then again, I couldn't do any better D:.

I assume this is the Raxicoricofallapatorians?

Yeah, most just refer to them as Slitheen since the only Raxi we get to see are of the Slitheen family.

^ I think thats what they called themselves when they first spoke. Also, quick question: Is The Doctor even aware of his regeneration ability?

Yeah he is, the Doctor you are watching is the ninth.

Thing is, regeneration is complicated. It's not always gaurenteed to happen and when ever he does it he ends up incapacitated for a bit after he does so.

It's as painful as dying, every single time he regenerates, which is why he hates doing it so much.

Poor Jack though... xD he must have died hundreds of times by now, he's not very careful is he...

When do you guys think we'll see him again? Because of the whole "New Doctor New Series" thing, I was kinda worried we'd never be seeing any of the old characters again (not that I particularly want to see Rose or Martha again), but Jack still has so many gaps to fill. However now we know that Smith will be appearing in a Sarah-Jane Adventures special, I'm not as worried as I was.

Same goes for The Doctor's Daughter, and that annoying attention whore thief woman with the flying bus (although if it were up to me I'd never want her to appear again...)