Awoo.

Bayonetta

Random Rhyme

Well, I just finished for the first time on Normal and believe I might need to lye down!

The ending was bloody crazy! And I thought the Devil May Cry series had climactic ending sequences- I've never seen anything like it in my life! What a fantastic game. I've been a big fan of Devil May Cry since the first one and I have to say, Bayonetta is on par with excellence that is DMC1 (gotta give it some credit, I mean we wouldn't have Bayonetta without it!) The formula is identical to that of DMC, but the combat is faster and a heck of a lot more stylish.

I thought the story was great, despite what critics said about it. While not the quality of a eastern or western RPG (maybe that's what they were expecting...) it was perfectly fitting for an action game such as Bayonetta and had me wondering quite a few things all the way until the final cut scene. It seemed quite DMC-esq, something you'd expect from the same designer.

This is the only game I've ever played that's made me feel 'out of breath', too. Trying to do the out of body battle in the 'secret missions' thing took five or six goes, but each time I tried I could see I was getting better and better and eventually thought to myself a few times 'Wow, am I actually doing all this stuff myself?' That's the first time I've experienced that in a game as far as I can remember. I was getting frustrated at the game for loosing, improving each time I retried and eventually realised 'Oh shit, look at how much crazy stuff there is going on!'

I wouldn't object to a Bayonetta 2, but for now I'm going to replay Normal to build up my stats, then attempt Hard and Infinity Climax modes! Brilliant start from Platinum!

Edited by bolt7

Yeah, the ending was pretty insane. I swear, there must have been like five sequences I thought were "the final battle" yet there was just more and more coming around.

Sounded more like a spin off to me. one can only wonder how bayonetta can get more out of control after the ending, lol

Well, this is Platinum. One never knows what to expect out of them.

Well, this is Platinum. One never knows what to expect out of them.

Yes we do. Awesomeness.

Yes we do. Awesomeness.

Touche.

But it's hard to wonder what would be in Bayonetta 2 considering how far this game went.

I mean, she even beat God. At least if that's what they meant by "Creator," which I assume it is.

It's hard to outdo that.

Edited by SuperStingray

So yeah i'm kinda borrowing the game from a friend and all i have to say is WOW. This game by far should be nominated for Game of the year. So much action, Blood, sexual context, ect. stuff that makes a game better than all the rest. Right now i'm at the part where i just killed a water creature. That whole final cinematic was fuckin amazing. (did that count as a spoiler? lol) I wish I knew how long or short this game is because it feels like i'm very close to the end for some reason. If I had to rate this game it would def be above a 9 but I'm not fixed on that perfect score yet since there is stuff I question...

So I finally stopped being lazy and beat the game a few days ago. Damn, that final boss was amazing even though I sucked shit at the Infernal Demon Summon part.

So I just beat the game and this is what I have to say.....

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! THIS GAME WAS SOO FREAKING GREAT!! ONE IF NOT THE BEST ACTION GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED IN MY WHOLE LIFE (and i've been around for 21+ years) Sega why can't you make sonic this fuckin great? Best final boss fight i've ever seen (sonic team are you taking notes?)

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I got destroyed by Grace and Glory multiple times in chapter 6… the fact that once you’ve killed them two more spawned almost made me cry. They killed me instantly.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong… I’m having a hard time memorizing combos and dealing with pretty much everything bar the most basic of Angels. The Dragon things suck, the first proper boss killed me more times than I’d like to admit and it’s just a whole heap of pain in the ass. What makes it worse is that there isn’t an ‘Easy’ mode that isn’t automatic and that just sucks all the fun out of it.

I’ve started again from chapter 1 and did quite well in it. I died twice in chapter 2 and then stopped after I finished it. The plan is to get as many halos as I can to buy new things. I’ve got the insta-witch time thing but am going for the parry item next (as they’re both “Recommended”). But I have to say I don’t know how much more of this game kicking my ass I can take before I just sell the damn thing. It’s making me pine for Assassins Creed II that I finished just before Bayonetta came out!

Any and all help will be appreciated. What the fuck am I doing so wrong?

Any and all help will be appreciated. What the fuck am I doing so wrong?

Chuckle, just wait until you get to hard mode... witch time doesn't work on the golden grace and glory... well it does. But only if you they use a specific attack and you use the hit dodge move thing (the one where you turn into bats). The best way I found to deal with grace and glory was to focus on the fire one. Once it was dead pick up the flame claws and then press O (Kick button). Bayonetta will do that flame spin thing, it'll take almost 70% 0f either grace or glory's health down.

Otherwise, use the sword and just get a few hits in then dodge away.

Ah G & G, the mini Agni & Rudra on crack. You are going to see these guys a LOT and they only get more annoying when their big brothers Gracious and Glorious show up. Best to take it slow for now and try to memorize their attack patterns and learn when to counter attack. At that point in the game the best set up for them is Shuraba(Samurai sword) and Flame Durgas(Claws) on the feet. T

The PKP combo is very useful since it's really quick and ends with a wide ranged wicked weave slash. Great damage, knocks them back and can sometimes hit both of them multiple times.

Another good tactic is to use the durga claws' explosive bombs by charging your kicks. These have a large range and can inflict huge damage when used in combos.

The best durga combo to use is PPPK(hold)K(hold)K(hold). The first two kicks will trip them and summon a bomb right over them and the third will summon a horizontal WW kick and then another bomb. If done properly this will kill one of them in one combo and if you're lucky you'll be able to get them both at the same time. However since this is a long combo it's best to do this with witch time to avoid a parry/counter attack.

If all else fails you can play on Easy/Very easy with normal controls. When you get control of Bayonetta, go to the weapons/accessory screen and unequip the "Eternal Marionette" accessory.

Just out of curiosity, how new are you to this sort of genre of game, Paul? To be honest, if you're not enjoying the combat at all I can't imagine you'll want to stick with Bayonetta much longer- it's the best bit by far in my opinion. My advice would be to always have your finger on the dodge button. I always dodge (whether it enters me into witch time or not), move round the back of the enemy and attack them from there. You don't have to memorise all the combos either, just give a good mix of punches and kicks and because of the epic amount of combos there seems to be in the game you'll be doing all sorts of awesome stuff. XD

I do think Automatic should've been restricted only to 'Very Easy' mode myself too. I'm sure you're not the only person struggling with the game and automatic seems a little cheat-y.

Ah G & G, the mini Agni & Rudra on crack.

This is the best description for them ever. XD Agni and Rudra were awesome, too! I thought these were bloody hard the first time too- but now I upgraded my life more and learnt their attack patterns better, I'm beating them in the tutorial on Hard no problem. B)

If all else fails you can play on Easy/Very easy with normal controls. When you get control of Bayonetta, go to the weapons/accessory screen and unequip the "Eternal Marionette" accessory.

Edit: Oh, it's just an accessory? Well I guess that isn't so bad after all then. XD

Edited by bolt7

The deal with Grace and Glory (and even Gracious and Glorious) is to keep your finger on RT/R2. The easiest way to handle them is to just dodge when they get close, they generally attack so you'll find an opening. You'll get witch time for Grace and Glory, but you'll have to focus on hit and run with Gracious and Glorious since they're immune to dodge witch time (only Bat Within and Selene's Grace work). Another thing that helps is to get one of them with a torture attack right off the bat.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

The deal with Grace and Glory (and even Gracious and Glorious) is to keep your finger on RT/R2. The easiest way to handle them is to just dodge when they get close, they generally attack so you'll find an opening. You'll get witch time for Grace and Glory, but you'll have to focus on hit and run with Gracious and Glorious since they're immune to dodge witch time (only Bat Within and Selene's Grace work). Another thing that helps is to get one of them with a torture attack right off the bat.

I keep hitting snags in hard though. The scene where you are stuck on the highway and trio of them pop up at that same time sucks balls. I found that you really should just dodge the entire time until you build up enough witch power for a torturer move. You can't really combo them unless you are god at dodge offset (hard as your mother made me last night) or abuse weapon switching like its going out of style. The three hit insta kill doesn't help either.

I actually discovered a really good combo to death with grace and glory... it's so simply yet it works so well..

Punch... Kick... Punch... Whilst in the the air. The first punch will happen in the air, the kick brings you down to the fround, then the next punch activates the wicked weave/giant sword move.

Most of Grace and Glory's attacks around ground based, they can't jump as high as you. This is really good for getting the better of them.

P.S. I just started a new game, not from an end save and watched the pre-prologue sequence again.... who else forgot that...

The angels are actually human priests that commit suicide in a ritual?

A good thing if real. But too late if you ask me. I'm just on the climax run and chances are I won't do a 4th... Well I guess it'll be a good thing for people yet to get it and the eventual platinum release.

Alright, I got Bayonetta (the 360 version), and I've gotten past the chapter where you learn the wall-walking move on normal. My verdict so far? Fantastic. I love this game, no question. Though, a large part of me is yearning for DMC's moves, which I honestly believe are more intuitive to execute and remember. Other than that, I love it. Classic Kamiya.

Also, when I went into Rodin's shop once, he did an impression of the shopkeeper from Resident Evil 4. Classic.

Edited by The Sniper

Rodin's shop quotes are super cheesy, but still a highlight regardless.

"bring me enough halos and I might be able to buya ticket to space, I always wanted to be a bald space marine"

The best are his references to RE 4 and MadWorld/Possibly Evil Dead. It's freakin' badass.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Yahtzee's review is up. I actually agree with him more than usual this time, especially about the quick time events.

But am I the only one here who didn't find the story, strange as it was, THAT hard to follow? I don't know whether I'm very good at processing this stuff or just bad at noticing the details that create the loose ends. I mean, hell, I found MW2's storyline easy to follow, so that's gotta say something.

The PS3 patch is now live, I'm downloading it now... whoa! 138MB!? I think I will install the game and see if the load times have improved or not.

Also, I've never done this before, but I bought a Scarborough Fair gun. I just loved the look of them and knew that I wanted it. Sadly, the UK ones didn't come in the official box that the Australia ones did, but mine did come with something quite special.... on the box is a sticker from Her Majesty's Revenues Customs, claiming that it does not need a tax surcharge on it because it's not a real gun! lol I don't know if everyone who ordered in the UK got one, but it looks like at one HMRC office, the scarborough fair was flagged up as a potential weapon so it was facing a surcharge on the tax to bring it into the UK!

I love the gun though, it's one of the best pieces of videogame merch I've ever seen, certainly one of the best that I own. Very well detailed and it doesn't feel cheap at all. It's so durable and well made that I think you could easilly modify the thing, such as put a laser dot pen on the top or even a custom trigger. It may even be possible to rig up some kind of devil snaps/cap gun rounds so it'll look like it's really fireing. But that would take some major work.

Hmmmm HDD install at 21%... See you at 100%

So I installed it all and did a few tests... holy monkey... the load times are no more!

Pause the game = Blink and you will miss the loading screen, it's gone, reduced from aronund 2-3 seconds to barely a microsecond.

Push select = Instant, no loading, full menu can be access without and waiting.

Loading a game = There is a load time... but it's barely a quarter of what it once took. (this tested an autosave on the very first stage, the graveyard)

Loading a game 2 = Loading a game to the pre stage menu (the one that has Gates of Hell, Start and save options) about 2 seconds load time.

Skipping a cut scene = During the openning cut scene (in the grave yard with Enzo peeing on the grave stone) pausing and having the option to skip takes about a microsecond... blink and you'll miss it.

Edited by Casanova
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’m FURIOUS with Game. I pre-ordered Bayonetta too in store and have been checking up every so often to see if they have them in stock. Finally I go in on Wednesday to be told they had them in but only got two and they’ve both been given away. I was LIVID. I was given a number to Game’s head office but I’ve not had the time to ring yet. They can expect a very unhappy call tomorrow.