Awoo.

Sonic Classic Collection

Indigo Rush

Sonic Classic Collection has picked up a rather respectable 83% from ONM.

+ Looks and sounds great

+ Four games in one

+ Sonic at his best

- Glitches, slowdown

- Could have packed in more

"It's not a great port and we'd have liked more content, but the quality gameplay shines through"

I'll have a proper read of the review and let you know of anything interesting I find.

^ That's pretty much what IGN said. They gave it 7.0, and said that if the games are straight emulations, they could've put the entire Genesis collection in as well.

Not sure I'd want Sonic Spinball and Mean Bean Machine on there, but if they were to give Chaotix a crack, that'd be pretty good.

I bought it, and it really is great.

The size-down is a little badly done however. Gameplay is fine in every way, but things like the Sonic 3 save scene, the E in ZONE looks like a C so you get ZONC.

Sonic 3 special stages are also kinda shakey, the squares on the floor can't stand still and move back and forth, and the small screen cutout when you turn is kinda offputting. You only notice it on a few stages however, like the Red and White special stage, annoying as fuck.

Also the Marble Zone boss's drill seems to be on his side now, not the middle. Layering of the sprites could be better.

However, it is 4 Sonic games on the DS. And in gameplay, the sizedown not only works well, you REALLY have to LOOK for glitches and such. The controls are perfect, and the slowdown is not even in any speedy parts, only in places where there is just a lot on the screen. Chemical Plant, and the one part before the boss in Carnival Night 2, run just as well as on a Genesis, if not better.

And in the end it's pretty super fun, so it's easy to look past the little things.

Could someone confirm for me whether the Sonic 3 boss music plays just during the MHZ boss or the remainder or S&K? The S&K boss music does play as should in S3&K btw.

I just tried it in Flying Battery zone, and the Sonic 3 music also played. So since it played on those two zones, I assume it plays on the other zones as well. I'll check the rest later though.

Release on Mar 12th.

Shipping from good ol' New Zealand.

Estimated 6-10 days delivery time.

Potential import charge or something.

Bring on April... =(

Talking about "ZONE" becoming "ZONC", there's worse.

sonicclassiccollecti_021510_9296.jpg

Naw, I kid. I've not been this excited since Unleashed. Sounds rather silly for just the classic games on a DS.

EDIT: Ta, Gamerguy. The music change shouldn't really be much of a bother, because it's not like it's a new track. And S3&K KinS3 has what you'd expect anyway. Now if they'd gone and replaced Ice Cap, Launch Base and Carnival Night with the PC versions then there'd be cause for concern. My preferences actually, but can you imagine the rage at Ice Cap's music being replaced in 2010?

Edited by Blue Blood

Now if they'd gone and replaced Ice Cap, Launch Base and Carnival Night with the PC versions then there'd be cause for concern. My preferences actually, but can you imagine the rage at Ice Cap's music being replaced in 2010?

Oh god I wish they had. I hate Carnival Night's music SO MUCH. It isn't suited for gameplay at all, and it gives me headaches. Not to mention it's got little in the way of actual music in it. They really fucked that one up. Give me the PC version of it any day.

Anyways, kicked Knuckles in Sonic 3's (KIS3? wat) ass pretty hard, Death Egg's music is wonderful, and with the better sound it just sounds so much more electrical and techno-y. Fits much better.

Also Hill Top sounds wonderful. I swear to god I love that stage so much and the music is so beautiful and catchy and oh my god I just love Sonic 2 in general and this is great because my nomad crapped out and this is just easier to carry.

I bought it, and it really is great.

The size-down is a little badly done however. Gameplay is fine in every way, but things like the Sonic 3 save scene, the E in ZONE looks like a C so you get ZONC.

Sonic 3 special stages are also kinda shakey, the squares on the floor can't stand still and move back and forth, and the small screen cutout when you turn is kinda offputting. You only notice it on a few stages however, like the Red and White special stage, annoying as fuck.

Also the Marble Zone boss's drill seems to be on his side now, not the middle. Layering of the sprites could be better.

However, it is 4 Sonic games on the DS. And in gameplay, the sizedown not only works well, you REALLY have to LOOK for glitches and such. The controls are perfect, and the slowdown is not even in any speedy parts, only in places where there is just a lot on the screen. Chemical Plant, and the one part before the boss in Carnival Night 2, run just as well as on a Genesis, if not better.

And in the end it's pretty super fun, so it's easy to look past the little things.

If it's easy to look past the flaws I can do dat, but you'd think Sega would be able to adjust the resolution properly by now. Or was the game designed to run better on the XL?

If it's easy to look past the flaws I can do dat, but you'd think Sega would be able to adjust the resolution properly by now. Or was the game designed to run better on the XL?

The DSi and XL can handle the same resolution as the older models. If anything, the XL will just make it look worse because it'll be squashed so much and then stretched out.

I would buy a new Sonic Collection so fast if it included Knuckles Chaotix. I want to play that game so bad.

My god I love the save system. I can save at Emerald Hill 2 and if I miss a checkpoint (and thusly an emerald) then I can hit Load and go back to the beginning, so I can slowly get back to my former glory of just BEASTING though Special Stages.

The DSi and XL can handle the same resolution as the older models. If anything, the XL will just make it look worse because it'll be squashed so much and then stretched out.

I think all DS games will look worse cause your stretching out the image?

I would buy a new Sonic Collection so fast if it included Knuckles Chaotix. I want to play that game so bad.

Hear hear! I kinda wish that "Sonic Mega Collection 3" rumour from a while back was true, there's still plenty of classic Sonic games that could be put on a compilation - Knuckles' Chaotix, SegaSonic, Sonic Pocket Adventure... and so on.

But for the first handheld collection, I'm fine with it just being the main trilogy/quadrilogy. Classic Sonic on the go will undoubtedly be good times.

Roll on Friday, is all I can say!

Okay, my copy shipped today. 6 to 10 days estimated delivery time. Woo! It's been established that the game uses some DSi specific code, so region lock is in play. I'm wondering if Aus and NZ are counted as PAL like they normally are, or if they're not the same as Europe. If they're not the same then I'll have to play it on my Lite on which the game doesn't run so well.

Okay, my copy shipped today. 6 to 10 days estimated delivery time. Woo! It's been established that the game uses some DSi specific code, so region lock is in play. I'm wondering if Aus and NZ are counted as PAL like they normally are, or if they're not the same as Europe. If they're not the same then I'll have to play it on my Lite on which the game doesn't run so well.

Wonder if it has any DSi specific content then like some odd games do. Maybe those features the BBFC listed that U.S. players have said aren't in the game actually are when played on a DSi maybe? It could just be as you said though a region lock.

Saw some gameplay videos of the game, the use of Sonic Jam's "Sonic World" music is brilliant, but the super sneakers' effect on the music is odd...

Well, it looks better than Sonic Genesis, which I'm convinced was an emulation of the mobile phone version anyway.

Well, it looks better than Sonic Genesis, which I'm convinced was an emulation of the mobile phone version anyway.

Genesis was a pathetic port, the games in this collection are the actual emulation.

The collectors set de-boxed -

http://blogs.sega.com/sonic/2010/03/10/sonic-classic-collection-boxset-deboxed/#more-1214

Win a collectors set in this weeks Free Stuff Friday -

http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2010/03/11/free-stuff-friday-120310/

ONM's review is now up on their site -

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=15831

EDIT:

Look's like they have a new system when implementing reviews in their mag and on the website, I knew I had heard MK Skillz say the review is in the new issue out tomorrow so I thought it was a bit early to be hitting their website -

This is an edited version of a review that appears in issue 54 of Official Nintendo Magazine. To read the full 900-word version with more in-depth analysis, extra boxouts and screenshots, pick up issue 54 of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Friday 12 March

4421656127_12d2a2e819.jpg

Holy crap! I thought the tin was some silly little thing on the side, just the right size to fit your DS in. I didn't expect that piece of sex! And for such a teeny figure, wonderful!

Roll on <insert all potential dates of arrival here>!

Edited by Blue Blood

ONM's review is now up on their site -

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=15831

EDIT:

Look's like they have a new system when implementing reviews in their mag and on the website, I knew I had heard MK Skillz say the review is in the new issue out tomorrow so I thought it was a bit early to be hitting their website -

Ahh, they're sneaky! :P

What they seem to do is upload the review to their website a day or so before the game's UK release, so it appears if this happens to be before their new issue is out - they cut it down to persuade you to buy it!

Or maybe they're just going to cut down all reviews online now, forcing you to buy the magazine for the full review.

At any rate, at least you can still see the verdict - 83% is fine by me and I can't wait to pick this baby up tomorrow! *clutches pre-order slip with glee*

Was wondering....

Is the Hidden Palace zone data still there?

It's doubtful that they'd get rid of it.

Been playing this for a while now during my breaks at work, here's some more little things I've noticed:

*When you start out the game, it says "All games are U.S.A. version" at the bottom under the SEGA logo and stuff. Funny enough, if you load up Sonic 1, it's definitely the Japanese version, with the moving clouds in GHZ and water ripple effect in LZ. All U.S.A. versions my ass. :P

*The voice samples are different in other tracks as well, such as the "Go!" in Launch Base Zone.

*The layer issue becomes really apparent in Hidden Palace Zone in S3K when Knuckles jumps behind the Master Emerald. It's pretty funny actually. XD I've seen these layering problems all throughout the game, they really should have done something about that, but ah well.

*Even though you can't do the level select code in Sonic 2, the level select code in Knuckles in Sonic 2 works just fine.

It's a strange decision, and not the only one SEGA seem to have made with this game. I've always preferred the S&K Act 1 boss music over the Sonic 3 version, so to have it removed is a bit of a disappointment.

Just play Sonic 3 & Knuckles, after all, that's how it was meant to be played. I don't see why they even bothered to include Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles separately, when they've already included Sonic 3 & Knuckles. To be honest, I wonder why people still like to play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately, despite the fact that it's supposed to be one large game, and they're pretty pathetic when played separately.

Sonic 3 has a horrible theme song, and it's too short, while Sonic & Knuckles lacks Tails, and it's pathetically short. However, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the most epic Sonic game there ever will be. Hell, even in Sonic Mega Collection, the description for Sonic 3 & Knuckles says, "Play through Sonic 3 complete version..."

Saw some gameplay videos of the game, the use of Sonic Jam's "Sonic World" music is brilliant, but the super sneakers' effect on the music is odd...

I noticed that too, it raises the pitch of the music a half-step. It sounds weird in some places, but in Doomsday Zone when you have less than 10 rings, it makes it sound more "epic".

*The layer issue becomes really apparent in Hidden Palace Zone in S3K when Knuckles jumps behind the Master Emerald. It's pretty funny actually. XD I've seen these layering problems all throughout the game, they really should have done something about that, but ah well.

lol, when I saw that I was all, "wtf!?!?".

*When you start out the game, it says "All games are U.S.A. version" at the bottom under the SEGA logo and stuff. Funny enough, if you load up Sonic 1, it's definitely the Japanese version, with the moving clouds in GHZ and water ripple effect in LZ. All U.S.A. versions my ass.

Oddly enough, the spike glitch occurs, and if I recall correctly, the spike glitch is exclusive to the US version. However, the level select cheat displays the Japanese order (the correct one).

I wish the screen wasn't vertically squished, and I prefer they crop it instead, even if that makes the view even smaller. And the overall presentation of the compilation is pretty poor, but after all, it has Sonic 3 & Knuckles. If it didn't have Sonic 3 & Knuckles, then I wouldn't have bothered getting it. If all it had was Sonic 3 & Knuckles, then I definitely still would have gotten it.

Wonder if it has any DSi specific content then like some odd games do. Maybe those features the BBFC listed that U.S. players have said aren't in the game actually are when played on a DSi maybe?

Nah, I'm playing on a DSi and don't have any extra features (other than that image gallery that everyone has). There's a chance they could be UK specific, but I doubt it.