Awoo.

Sonic Classic Collection

Indigo Rush

I understand that a 7.o is a good score. But the problem is, its WAY too short!

What's there to say about a compilation of 4 old games with nothing interesting of note? That's all the game is, a cheap compilation with extra art work; not much to say at all.

Edited by Black Spy

I understand that a 7.o is a good score. But the problem is, its WAY too short!

You mean the review? I mean... most gamers know how a collection of old games are. Sega makes one almost every year and I think reviewers are getting tired or reviewing Sonic 1-3 every certain about of months for every system uncluding I Phone ect..

After days of not being able to find this anywhere, I finally picked up a copy of this game. I've only played a little bit of each game so far, so here are some quick impressions.

Gameplay-wise, these play pretty much just like the originals, which is definitely a good thing. There are definitely some slowdowns here and there, which is a bit distracting but not too big of a deal. The music is pretty much perfect (as posted earlier, I actually like the Sonic 3 act 1 boss theme better in this version), although some of the sound effects are a bit off. And sadly, some of the level select codes don't seem to work in these, which is kind of lame. D: (the Sonic 1 code will still work though) As for the graphics, the resizing didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would, although some of the text doesn't look so good. For the most part everything looks fine though.

The artwork gallery was a nice little touch, but nothing special really and not something I'll be going back to.

So yeah, overall a good but not perfect collection of the classic Sonic games. Recommended for anyone who really wants to have classic Sonic on the go, but if you don't play DS very often and you already have these games (which is probably most of the people here) then it's probably not worth it.

Wow, that is the smallest and worst review from IGN ever. I cant believe he swears saying piss in the review, surely they're not supposed to swear in their reviews as its pretty unprofessional and not once have I seen them swear in one before. Kids could be reading this review, its not like its an 18 rated game.

With the DS, they could've done SO much more to enhance the games, or at the very least, done a graphic update with remastered music. And with a system as powerful as the DS, you'd think they'd be able to run the games to utter perfection with NO slow down whatsoever.

You'd be surprised. The DS only has 4 MB of RAM, meaning there isn't much you can do in terms of emulation. In other words, the slowdown was inevitable with the route the took. Now, that means they SHOULD have ported the games rather than running them on an emulator, but this is SEGA we're talking about.

Wow, that is the smallest and worst review from IGN ever. I cant believe he swears saying piss in the review, surely they're not supposed to swear in their reviews as its pretty unprofessional and not once have I seen them swear in one before. Kids could be reading this review, its not like its an 18 rated game.

I dunno.... NOM used to use the word "crap" in their reviews, which I always found pretty humorous, and piss is pretty tame in comparison.

Classic Collection maes me wish Sonic 4 would for DS. Then I could play the STH series on my DS :D.

Oh yeah, and on the review itself, 7 is pretty good, but maybe a little higher woulda been better. I mean it's like IGN just don't care that S3&K is finally handheld.

Also playing them on the widescreen PSP just feels a bit weird, not the mention the game is really cheap...

Even a nice score doesn't excuse a shoddily written review.

Did anyone else notice picking up the Speed Shoe now increases the pitch of the music rather than affecting the speed?

I've been playing this collection for the past couple of days and wouldn't really recommend it to anyone who has any other means of playing the old games. The resolution isn't as good for one, not saying it's SEGA's fault, but I can't help but feel like I'm playing an inferior version when even the title card starts disappearing of the screen because it doesn't fit properly. Half of the options are missing from Sonic 2 and 3, and you're able to level select on the first game but not with any of the others. Why? Is level select such a crime they felt they needed to remove it? The music is brilliant- just like the old games, however yes, some sound effects seemed borked and others missing entirely. Also, why doesn't pressing 'Pause' on the DS pause the game? It does nothing, you have to press it on the touch screen. The amount of times I've pressed the button by accident and nothing has happened. = =

IMO, it's not worth the asking price. If you want to play Sonic, either go with one of the other billion collections they've released, or just buy a Mega Drive (they're probably cheaper to get than this game itself!) As for playing Sonic on the go, I hardly think that novelty is worth paying £18 for.

I'll get this, but I'm not expecting as much as I did before. The menu screens lack some life, there's no real animation on them. There's artwork as expected, and we've already seen all of them. It uses Sonic Jam music, which is a huge plus.

Whelp, I'll still get this.

It's Sonic 1,2,3 and the lock-ons on one handheld cartridge. It's what I wanted, I'm not after the menus and fancy graphics, long as it's functional enough to play well on the train, I'm happy.

Edited by Mr. Needlemark
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's Sonic 1,2,3 and the lock-ons on one handheld cartridge. It's what I wanted, I'm not after the menus and fancy graphics, long as it's functional enough to play well on the train, I'm happy.

Then get a SEGA NOMAD.

Methinks you missed a bit.

Lol @ Buying an old extremely huge handheld console and four games when a modern console can perform the same task with one game.

Edited by Lyra
  • Thumbs Up 2

Then get a SEGA NOMAD.

As Lyra said the games are all in one cartridge plus you've forgotten the Nomad eats batteries like there's no tomorrow so you'd constantly have to keep forking money over to play the games on it.

Did anyone else notice picking up the Speed Shoe now increases the pitch of the music rather than affecting the speed?

I've been playing this collection for the past couple of days and wouldn't really recommend it to anyone who has any other means of playing the old games. The resolution isn't as good for one, not saying it's SEGA's fault, but I can't help but feel like I'm playing an inferior version when even the title card starts disappearing of the screen because it doesn't fit properly. Half of the options are missing from Sonic 2 and 3, and you're able to level select on the first game but not with any of the others. Why? Is level select such a crime they felt they needed to remove it? The music is brilliant- just like the old games, however yes, some sound effects seemed borked and others missing entirely. Also, why doesn't pressing 'Pause' on the DS pause the game? It does nothing, you have to press it on the touch screen. The amount of times I've pressed the button by accident and nothing has happened. = =

IMO, it's not worth the asking price. If you want to play Sonic, either go with one of the other billion collections they've released, or just buy a Mega Drive (they're probably cheaper to get than this game itself!) As for playing Sonic on the go, I hardly think that novelty is worth paying £18 for.

I have all the Genesis Sonic games on my Psp (most of you should know how), so I always have Sonic on the go. One thing I like about the Classic Collection though is that the mini-boss music from Sonic 3 sounds better. It's like it was never compressed or anything; it sounds like they took the music from the master source? and slapped it in there. Also, playing Sonic on a DS that isn't Rush, Rush 2 or Chronicles is a fun concept imo.

It shows Mushroom Hill, Angel Island and the first S3 special stage. You can see some of the lag that happens which seems very minimal and the S3 special stage hiccups. But really, this game is good!

Title Screen Theme = Sonic World from Sonic Jam (Saturn)!

http://media.sonicstadium.org/Music%20and%20Soundtracks/[1997]%20Sonic%20Jam%20(Saturn)/01%20Sonic%20World.mp3

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've just picked this up today and have been playing it for the past few hours. So far, I've only played Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Sonic 1 ran pretty smooth, but S3&K seemed to lag a bit more. It's wasn't game breaking by any means, but it would have been nice to have it run smoother. So far, I'd give it a 7.5/10. It's a pretty good handheld complation, and it's great to finally have Sonic 1-3&K on the go in one game, but the slowdown in some areas and the lack of extra content bring it down a bit.

Also, why doesn't pressing 'Pause' on the DS pause the game? It does nothing, you have to press it on the touch screen. The amount of times I've pressed the button by accident and nothing has happened. = =

I noticed this as well, and was a bit annoyed by it at first. But since I'm using a DSi and the pause button on the touch screen is right next to the pause button on the system, I quickly got used to it.

The pause button seems like quite an odd issue, since 'start' still works like it always did at the title screens. Why would they stop it from pausing the game? Surely it's the worst touch screen innovation ever.

Wait, what? They changed the S&K Act 1 boss music to the Sonic 3 one?

Wonder why.

Wait, what? They changed the S&K Act 1 boss music to the Sonic 3 one?

Wonder why.

It's a strange decision, and not the only one SEGA seem to have made with this game. I've always preferred the S&K Act 1 boss music over the Sonic 3 version, so to have it removed is a bit of a disappointment.

I'm still looking forward to picking this up on Friday, but I can't help but feel there have been some really odd choices when compiling this collection. :huh:

I have to say, the Sonic 3 sub-boss music will go pretty weird with the Death Egg Act 1 boss, lol. I mean it does with all the S&K ones due to what we're used to, but that one especially, lol.

Are we sure the games are 100% emulated? There's no possibility that they accidentally linked the games to the same "sub-boss.mid" or whatever by accident?

Edited by JezMM

Are we sure the games are 100% emulated? There's no possibility that they accidentally linked the games to the same "sub-boss.mid" or whatever by accident?

The music and sound effects are not emulated. That's why the voice samples in some of the Sonic 3 tracks (like the sub-boss) sound slightly clearer. Could someone confirm for me whether the Sonic 3 boss music plays just during the MHZ boss or the remainder or S&K? The S&K boss music does play as should in S3&K btw.

Edited by Blue Blood

The music and sound effects are not emulated. That's why the voice samples in some of the Sonic 3 tracks (like the sub-boss) sound slightly clearer. Could someone confirm for me whether the Sonic 3 boss music plays just during the MHZ boss or the remainder or S&K? The S&K boss music does play as should in S3&K btw.

That's relieving, but it makes the whole thing even weird, like it was some mistake ^^;

There are other little sound problems. The pitch increase when you get speed shoes, S3/K special stage music not changing tempo, missing channels in the ring loss sound and the incorrect sound when you charge a spindash.