Awoo.

Sonic Classic Collection

Indigo Rush

I'm intrigued. The DS isn't really powerful enough to emulate the Genesis, so it might just be a compilation of the various handheld games.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm intrigued. The DS isn't really powerful enough to emulate the Genesis, so it might just be a compilation of the various handheld games.

http://sonicstadium.org/news/sonic-classic-collection-rated-by-bbfc

Seem’s SEGA have another Sonic collection title on the way as if we haven’t been given enough already. SEGA Europe submitted Sonic Classic Collection to the BBFC on the 11th November where the BBFC have today given it a U rating and have made no cuts.

The following content is what they rated -

n/a SONIC CLASSIC COLLECTION

n/a SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (GAME)

n/a SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (GAME)

n/a SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3 (GAME)

n/a SONIC & KNUCKLES (GAME)

n/a KNUCKLES IN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (GAME)

n/a KNUCKLES IN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3 (GAME)

00:00:45:00 SONIC CHRONICLES – THE DARK BROTHERHOOD (VIDEO)

00:03:05:00 THE HISTORY OF SONIC (VIDEO)

n/a SONIC ART (IMAGE GALLERY)

00:05:15:00 SONIC CLASSIC COLLECTION CREDITS

n/a GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

With a Sonic Chronicles video features could we be seeing this game hitting the DS? We’ll keep you up to date if and when more information is made available. For now, check out the full rating here.

Uh, what? I'm fairly sure the DS is much more powerful than the Genesis. I mean the brought Mario 64 to it fine and the was a generation later o.O.

This seems pretty cool, though. I'll get it if it isn't the game to cost 100$. I hope we get more unlockables than what was rated, though -_-.

Seeing as the list of games wasn't in the link here:

From SEGANERDS(Or the Kartel?)

• n/a SONIC CLASSIC COLLECTION
  • n/a SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (GAME)
  • n/a SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (GAME)
  • n/a SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3 (GAME)
  • n/a SONIC & KNUCKLES (GAME)
  • n/a KNUCKLES IN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (GAME)
  • n/a KNUCKLES IN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3 (GAME)
  • 00:00:45:00 SONIC CHRONICLES - THE DARK BROTHERHOOD (VIDEO)
  • 00:03:05:00 THE HISTORY OF SONIC (VIDEO) n/a SONIC ART (IMAGE GALLERY)
  • 00:05:15:00 SONIC CLASSIC COLLECTION CREDITS n/a GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

http://seganerds.the...ollection_rated

Edit:lol Indigo posted the list before me.

Edited by MarcelloF

Uh, what? I'm fairly sure the DS is much more powerful than the Genesis.

Emphasis mine.

I retract the part where I mused that it might be a compilation of various handheld games (thanks for the link Indigo), though I am genuinely worried now that I know it will be the Genesis games.

Edited by Tornado

Emphasis mine.

I retract the part where I mused that it might be a compilation of various handheld games (thanks for the link Indigo), though I am genuinely worried now that I know it will be the Genesis games.

So the DS can emulate Nintendo 64 games past perfection and Super Nintendo and Genesis games perfectly too shown in multiple titles....

I am almost 100% sure you're thinking of the Gameboy Advance and NOT the DS.

I don't understand. I mean if you can port the games why shouldn't you be able to emulate them? Can't they just port them or something?

Edited by MarcelloF

So the DS can emulate Nintendo 64 games past perfection

No it can't.

and Super Nintendo and Genesis games perfectly

No it can't. Notably, the PSP even has trouble with SNES emulation.

too shown in multiple titles....

Shown in no titles. There is no game on the DS that is an emulated 4th generation game.

I don't understand. I mean if you can port the games why shouldn'T you be able to emulate them?

Because emulation requires significantly more processing power than porting.

Can't they just port them or something?

They could.

The worry I'm having is that the games will be badly compromised in resolution (and they will be by default) and that they might repeat Sonic Genesis for everything else (physics fuck ups, music awfulness, etc). I hope that doesn't happen, but I'm skeptical.

Edited by Tornado

No it can't.

No it can't. Notably, the PSP even has trouble with SNES emulation.

Shown in no titles. There is no game on the DS that is an emulated 4th generation game.

Because emulation requires significantly more processing power than porting.

They could. The worry I'm having is that the games will be badly compromised in resolution (and they will be by default) and that they might repeat Sonic Genesis for everything else.

I may have came across wrong because I worded wrong. Not EMULATE, but it can handle the games in their raw form and if programed and compiled correctly, if you aim to just emulate then you would be right, but you can also take the original raw files of a game and recreate them for a platform without too much trouble or error, it's definitely not platform pushing if you know how to actually work the thing.

This depends on the basis of the game programing. If we talk about a straight up ROM emulation, then of course, however if you have the original files it would be more than possible to emulate a game with some format differences made into a cartridge holdable file. SEGA clearly has had the original game files for a while, I think you're just be a worrywart for nothing. Also a bit to quick to jump on this, the GBA port of Sonic 1 was horrible and I understand fears, but if you do some programing and alteration, it is more than possible to do so.

I'm not interested in this though. IT just sounds like a handheld Sonic Mega Collection, and though handheld, meh, I can live without.

Port vs Emulation is the definition I am seeking, because I'm sure they aren't emulating but porting.

Edited by Dusk the Crypt Keeper

I may have came across wrong because I worded wrong. Not EMULATE, but it can handle the games in their raw form and if programed and compiled correctly, if you aim to just emulate then you would be right, but you can also take the original raw files of a game and recreate them for a platform without too much trouble or error, it's definitely not platform pushing if you know how to actually work the thing.

Ah, that's what you were going for. I agree then, assuming Sega still has the source code.

That being said, based on certain factors (the existence of Sonic Genesis, the terrible resolution of the DS, etc.), I really don't see this being any more than a resounding meh. If we are lucky.

Ah, that's what you were going for. I agree then, assuming Sega still has the source code.

That being said, based on certain factors (the existence of Sonic Genesis, the terrible resolution of the DS, etc.), I really don't see this being any more than a resounding meh. If we are lucky.

Resolution also struck me, and definitely over the Sonic 1 GBA port would give some fear to that, but if they are clever (which the Sonic 1 portist were not) they could make it fully functional and with good enough resolution to run properly. I'm personally going to wait to hold judgment even if the title doesn't particularly perk my interest.

In the end it just depends who's porting it. I have seen some very clever portist get past issues far more severe than this in the past, but also I've seen portist do far worse at this in the past. Lets just hope the team that is porting is good at their job.

The DS isn't really powerful enough to emulate the Genesis

I have played various homebrew MegaDrive emulators on the DS, and I must say that I'm rather impressed; if a couple of inexperienced students in some bedroom somewhere can come up with pieces of software that can emulate the console that well on the DS, then I hotly anticipate what the professionals at SEGA will create. Sure, the DS' screen is too small to fit the MegaDrive's resolution, and the sound emulation is utterly shite at the moment, but it's still progress; with many months to go until this particular compilation is released, I have faith that SEGA will deliver the goods, and deliver them well...

So, yeah; the DS IS powerful enough to emulate the MegaDrive, and if accomplished correctly, this compilation will literally ace any other retro pack on the handheld. I look forward to the results!

I think I'm...

*gulp*

Excited for this.

I actually don't own any of the other collections, and this looks like it might be nice if it's handled correctly. I'm not too worried about another Sonic Genesis, given SEGA's (somewhat) better track record recently. I think that year was just cursed.

Pity about no Sonic CD, though.

@Tornado: The biggest issue the DS and PSP face when directly emulating the SNES is Mode 7, as Mode 7 was a chip in the game carts and not part of the console hierarchy. Any game that uses Mode 7 either plays very choppily (Star Fox) or slows down at complex parts (Super Mario RPG). It is not that it cannot emulate, it is that compensations for Mode 7 must be made. Any game that does not use Mode 7 is near perfect on a PSP, and the PSP has a perfect Mega Drive and Mega CD emulator in PicoDrive. Mega Drive games do not have the same Mode 7 issues so run very smooth. I have no doubt a DS could do the same with the various flashcards out there. Neither can emulate N64 very well though, I second that.

@MarcelloF: Bear this in mind: Emulation and porting are two entirely different kettles of fish. A working port does not automatically mean you can emulate. An emulator attempts to make the machine being used the machine the game was played on, like a proxy almost. Ports are an entirely different matter as the game is essentially tailored to fit on the machine it's being played on. So long as the machine has a reasonable processing power compared to the machine the port was on, you can get it to run. Some things like Mode 7 may mean emulating is slow or impossible, but ports are nearly always plausible.

Anyway! A port for the DS would be pretty sound. For sure the DS has a longer battery life than my poor PSP does, heh. So long as mistakes have been learnt from Sonic GBA, all will be well.

Edited by Nemain

Wow, that is one beast of a combo we got in the status update box xD. I wonder how this game will utilise both screens though, dual screened Genesis action would be immense.

So, yeah; the DS IS powerful enough to emulate the MegaDrive, and if accomplished correctly, this compilation will literally ace any other retro pack on the handheld. I look forward to the results!

I'm well aware of the progress of Jenesis DS. I in fact used it somewhat frequently before my DS broke. I'm also well aware that something being competent for the purposes of homebrew and something being competent for the purposes of retail are two completely different things. There is a difference between emulating something enough that it runs and emulating something well, and I can tell you right now that the average Genny game has to have tons of speed hacks applied just to get it to run without slowdown in Jenesis DS. Also, because of the lack of RAM the DS has, it can't play games that are 4MB+.

Regardless of all of that, your point is moot, because they won't emulate these. They will source-port them.

@Tornado: The biggest issue the DS and PSP face when directly emulating the SNES is Mode 7, as Mode 7 was a chip in the game carts and not part of the console hierarchy. Any game that uses Mode 7 either plays very choppily (Star Fox) or slows down at complex parts (Super Mario RPG). It is not that it cannot emulate, it is that compensations for Mode 7 must be made.

Keep in mind that when I said that even the PSP struggles I meant that "for many games it struggles unless you max the clock of the CPU" rather than "it doesn't even want to run the games." SNES emulation, for the most part, is perfect on the PSP (by which I mean good enough that a company could sell SNES game collections on the system). But only just.

Edited by Tornado

If they can do it well I'll buy it. I'll buy it because I'm stupid, and Sega can sell me the same thing seven different ways before I stop buying it. I have the classics on the PS2. I have them on the Genesis. I just wish they'd give us a little more than these same five games. Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix how about...

If these play well and don't turn out like Sonic Genesis GBA, I'm sold. I always wanted the classics playable on handheld.

If these play well and don't turn out like Sonic Genesis GBA, I'm sold. I always wanted the classics playable on handheld.

Pretty much, I agree with Mahzes. That, and if the price point is right. Anything other £19.99, no dice, SEGA. Lack of Sonic CD is disappointing again though, yeah. 8(

Also, Super Mario 64 DS wasn't emulated.

Sonic CD isn't appearing on this compilation because of those lovely space constraints.

I'd like to buy this, but first I'll have to know that it plays well. Sonic Genesis was such a letdown...

Also music. That had better be decent this time

Sonic CD isn't appearing on this compilation because of those lovely space constraints.

This.

The DS can emulate the Megadrive just fine, but the mega CD having better graphical capabilities is out of reach and the sound is an obvious one. But to be honest, if it's true they can put Sonic 3 and Knuckles on then they're gonna be doing better than the R4 cards.

To be honest, I'm more pleasantly surprised than excited. I decided to steer clear of Sonic Genesis because it wasn't released here and it was legendarily bad.

Linking back to the point about how JenesisDS emulated the games very well, with the only let down being no S3&K, I think if Sega can address this and produce something better, then portable Sonic 1,2 and 3K will be held in high regard with me.

Despite what I've said previously about my excitement towards the results of the emulation, my opinions on the actual game are rather different:

I really don’t think that this compilation will be worth the while; after all, how many times have we seen Sonic retro packs containing games from the Legacy era? Considering the amount of times that I’ve been forced to suffer malignantly awful emulation at the hand of cheap-ass re-releases, it’s no wonder that I’m sceptical; I’ve paid for too many versions of Sonic 1, so it’s a dead cert that I won’t be shelling £30+ for yet another!

Despite what I've said previously about my excitement towards the results of the emulation, my opinions on the actual game are rather different:

I really don’t think that this compilation will be worth the while; after all, how many times have we seen Sonic retro packs containing games from the Legacy era? Considering the amount of times that I’ve been forced to suffer malignantly awful emulation at the hand of cheap-ass re-releases, it’s no wonder that I’m sceptical; I’ve paid for too many versions of Sonic 1, so it’s a dead cert that I won’t be shelling £30+ for yet another!

The draw for this one is that it'll be on a portable, legally. None of the PSP comps have Sonic 3 as far as I know.

I'll have to wait and see how clean the emulation is. Unless this is also coming for the PSP, in which case I'll get it for that instead of the questionable DS.