Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

Thinking about it more, with the drop dash/rolling being in the same moveset as boost makes me wonder if they're just going crazy with adding stuff. If they're just sitting around the table and going "Hey you know what'd be cool, bringing back rolling and the drop dash for modern!" without actually thinking of how the boost renders both of those useless just by it's nature of being instantaneous speed.

I hope ST is having fun making this game, devs just going "hey that'd be cool" and add it before they start thinking about it too much.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Where are we seeing "proper rolling physics".

I have yet to see it either. Though admittedly, what little we saw does look like it steers and coasts/decels properly. I still doubt it works as it should, but we'll see in future uploads if anyone bothers to notice the dropdash exists.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, azoo said:

So if Sonic can roll in the 2D sections, can drop dash in 3D, and the left trigger has no function, then uh

why doesn't left trigger let you roll

No really, what? It's like right there, Sega. It's right there. It's right There, man.

Knowing how the last attempt at rolling physics was like, momentum probably feels like shit in the open zone/3D segments, so they decided to only keep any form of rolling with some means to give it acceleration and mask how out of whack the physics probably are.

24 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

The monkey's paw is running out of fingers, guys 

And that's how we outsmart it. Lol

24 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

The monkey's paw is running out of fingers, guys 

And that's how we outsmart it. Lol

31 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Where are we seeing "proper rolling physics".

Okay, yeah, poor choice of words on my end. But there was an attempt, I think?

This just boggles the mind to have these weird half-attempts at rolling in a control style that doesn't suit it. I expected it to not be added at all and it'd be less weird that way. But here we have a Drop Dash but no Spin Dash, and a roll that's only accessible when the axis is locked to 2D even though there's an unused button typically used for crouching.

Nutty shit.

So Sonic has different-ish controls in both 2D and 3D while wlso having a wide variety of customization options for how he can control that probably won't apply when playing Cyberspace levels.

That kinda sounds jarring doesn't it? You get use to how he controls in open areas yet as soon as you enter a level you're thrusted into different controls and physics.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounds like a lot all at once. But, we did want rolling and momentum... and it's there to an extent. Even if it's not a gameplay style that was built for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly I never truly minded the lack of momentum in the boost games. They weren't designed for it. The only times I was bothered by it were both relating to Classic Sonic for...obvious reasons lol.

Though Frontiers is a bit different. I mainly think momentum should be here because of the more open nature of the game. Despite the boost, it gives off a sorta Adventure-era vibe, y'know. This is a good start, but I think it needs more...oomph basically.

This is a lot of time and money thrown at a 'good start'. I need them to take physics more seriously before I'm interesting. The momentum should be the center of Sonic's gameplay, not one of many mechanics mindlessly thrown in to appease the widest amount of people.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Can't hear anything, but have a Big the Cat cutscene

Finally, the game is perfect.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the one hand, I'm not expecting the roll itself to actually be good in any way, as the physics for any slope so far have given me the opposite of confidence in them with how often Sonic is flying off in some bugged-out state.

But on the other, getting full-on classic + modern gameplay as a hybrid has been loooong overdue, and if it's Sonic Team experimenting with how to bring these mechanics back in the current gameplay style, they should go for it imo. 

Also yeah this game is basically SLW 2.0 with how many minor idiosyncrasies and gameplay quirks it has so far. I would be worried about that, buuuuut it is a 30 hour long game. Not exactly the same situation as ditching a move or concept after just one level or so.

It's amazing to see the SLW parkour elements and influences in the game. It seemed like those concepts were destined to be abandoned and SLW would always be the odd one out in the trajectory of Sonic. Instead, it feels like Forces is the odd one out. It didn't really build on what came before and it didn't provide a basis for anything else going forward. 

Super weird that rolling is in the game but only in 2D. Why didn't they just replace the slide with that?

2 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Super weird that rolling is in the game but only in 2D. Why didn't they just replace the slide with that?

There's the drop dash, unless that's only for the open world. Spinning doesn't make Sonic as small as sliding.

8 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

This is the first time we've seen jank quite like this.... Maybe it's the result of the devs building their own recreation of a non boost level and cramming a round peg into a square hole? 

Something to keep an eye on moving forward. Will be interesting to see.

No, it just looked for me like the guy was screwing around with the controls. 

7 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

Thinking about it more, with the drop dash/rolling being in the same moveset as boost makes me wonder if they're just going crazy with adding stuff. If they're just sitting around the table and going "Hey you know what'd be cool, bringing back rolling and the drop dash for modern!" without actually thinking of how the boost renders both of those useless just by it's nature of being instantaneous speed.

I hope ST is having fun making this game, devs just going "hey that'd be cool" and add it before they start thinking about it too much.

There's definitely enjoyment in doing dumb stuff at work. 

I don’t believe rolling and boosting have to be the antithesis to one another. In an ideal game using both, rolling could be used for downhill terrain and could surpass a speed cap, while boosting would be better for straightaways and uphill travel but held back by the speedcap. There’s def ways to balance the two. Check the indie game Defunct for a good example on how those moves could work together, particularly in large scale environments.

Now does that mean this game will be that eloquent with it? Of course not, rolling might not even work in this game, let alone an idea it could be balanced well. But I think fans often get caught on “I haven’t seen it work yet, so the idea doesn’t work” and I wanted to face that before it could rear its head.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/21/2022 at 8:43 PM, The Deleter said:

GLlQpGt.gif

Going to put a magnifying glass up to another instance of gameplay mechanics, since the concept of 1 shot, homing-attack-able enemies came up in the status updates

When the video starts out, you've got the attack ricocheting and uncurling off the object at an angle, then the typical upwards launch that all the modern games have. But on top of that, there appears to be a continuous ball form of the attack? Might be activated differently, but not only does it allow the player to maneuver in the air after the fact, but also seems to account for the trajectory the player is attacking the object at, both bouncing Sonic off at an unconventional angle, and carrying him further forwards when attacked from above.

I know it might be limited to just game objects, and how the balloons in Colors and Generations were similarly limited... but if you have this many options approaching a single homing attack object to begin with, it might be completely up to the player choice on how to approach them.

Maybe this will be the first example of a homing attack carrying momentum in an official 3D game? And if that's the case, how will it impact the cyberspace stage design?

Quoting this in this thread since we seem to be discussing gamescom findings here now, but I was rewatching the footage and HMMMMMMM

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe17H_VaP4FpScEPSxMVl

Something was up with that homing attack at 0:24 that never "reached" the enemy and stayed held in ball form 👀

Granted, Sonic games have had bugs where Sonic never reaches the enemy and the homing attack is briefly left chasing the enemy for a finite amount of time, like SA2, Generations' Egg Dragoon, Heroes, etc. But the player was clearly already in contact range to damage the enemy normally, and it happened three times in a row in a playthrough that was being very experimental with the moves and controls, which indicates some sort of intention. Feels far closer to a change in input than any accidental physics systems bug.

It won't be enough to be hard evidence for any jury without actually playing it, but considering I've been looking for an effect like this in all the footage in some form or another, but this time being used on a boss battle, I am going to walk away satisfied that this move very likely does apply to enemies as well, which is good enough for me tbh

Incredibly excited to try this out and see how well it works, at least in an official Sonic game lol

I'm really, REALLY hoping that Sega modify that homing attack for the Cyberspace stages, because that delay in the homing attack is starting to become more than just a minor inconvenience. The more I look at it, the more I just find it to be completely annoying and obnoxious. Sega is adding a bajillion different customization options in the options menu, hopefully there's an option to toggle that.

It looks context-specific to me. Sonic treats badniks and balloons the same way, quickly rebounding from them, whereas the island enemies go down in multiple attacks.

• Thumbs Up 2

There hasn't been anything new about that "ghost girl that gives Sonic rings during Super Sonic fights" has there? It's not SAGE, and the feminine voice that contacts Sonic is disembodied. Did that leaker just not know who Amy was? Is it the human woman that was in TailsTube?

The original "ghost girl" leak never mentioned anything about her design, or even that he ever actually saw the character. It'd be easy to interpret a disembodied female voice as a "ghost girl". We can be pretty sure it's not Sage helping Sonic, I'm not sure Amy has the ability to help much, and I'm not inclined to start supposing there's even more "ghost girls" in this story, so I figure it's the mystery voice trying to ensure her pawn doesn't fall before she gets what she wants.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

It looks context-specific to me. Sonic treats badniks and balloons the same way, quickly rebounding from them, whereas the island enemies go down in multiple attacks.

Nah I agree with McGroose, balloons react differently than enemies. Balloons operate like the homing attack of the past and immediately throw you vertical into the air, but with even less animation here. For the cyberspace badniks, though, it's the exact same as when bouncing off the open world enemies, except they only have one unit of health. It's using the same impact frame and "hang" near the enemy (which would usually be used as a combo opening), and if it's anything like Forces, we don't even know what the cooldown is while Sonic is flipping backwards during recoil. If it was context sensitive and removed that hang time, it'd be fine, but those small pauses are going to start piling up in gameplay feel, at least to the people who are bothered by it. (I'll probably be bothered by it as well)

So there seem to be a confirmation that Shadow won't be playable. I couldn't find the interview or wathever (didn't search to be honest), but if we finally have an official confirmation of that, we can finally dismiss that freaking Sonic 5 rumor with proof.

This means very little, since most of what the rumor said (about Frontiers and Origins) has been revealed already... but at least, with the movie skins being fake, we can safely say that the boom skins rumor from some days ago can also go into the trash. The suspect was there already, but now it's more or less confirmed.

And Sonic 5 does not exist, that's important too.