Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

Oh, and if there was any doubt about Frontiers being at the SGF

Sega is one of the many confirmed companies to show up at-

wait

why is netflix here

2 minutes ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

All of that said, I do wonder what role rings will have in Frontiers. I can't imagine Open World the Action RPG using the traditional Sonic health system.

Good question. I think this time around, rings will function more like currency, which will be separate from Sonic's health system. 

1 minute ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Oh, and if there was any doubt about Frontiers being at the SGF

Sega is one of the many confirmed companies to show up at-

wait

why is netflix here

Cause Netlix has been getting involved in game development recently. 

6 minutes ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

I'm trying really hard to keep an open mind about Frontiers, but... it's really hard.

That the first gameplay footage is focused almost entirely on combat tells us that that is what the gameplay is going to be focused on. Between this and Iizuka's statement that he wants Frontiers to be the basis for what Sonic is going forward the days of Sonic as a platformer appear to be over. Unfortunately, the combat looks stiff and the enemies appear to be damage sponges. Just like in the Heroes-06 era.

All in all, it looks like the professional competency we've been accepting since Unleashed. Nothing more and nothing less.

Are we really doing this again? Judging the entire game based on a 30 second teaser, let's wait for the full reveal and then we can either start to worry or get excited.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Soniman said:

They’re made to at least look like a natural extension of the environment in all the past games...

Sometimes so, sometimes not...

It's not very consistent.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, FirePheonix said:

Are we really doing this again? Judging the entire game based on a 30 second teaser, let's wait for the full reveal and then we can either start to worry or get excited.

As I said I am trying to keep an open mind about the game, but the trailer exists to try and sell me a product, and I will judge what they show me.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

13 minutes ago, FirePheonix said:

How about...you just let people judge a game how they want to instead of placing arbitrary hurdles to jump over? It's not that hard, honestly, people are allowed to judge a game if they are given direct footage of it in action.

The teaser gave us footage, and we're allowed to judge the game based on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

From the little we've seen so far.....I'm really liking the look of this. This has already evoked far more of a reaction from me than Forces ever did. Will it end up being a good game? Hell knows, but so far it's looking promising so far. 

Roll on tomorrow. 

12 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

How about...you just let people judge a game how they want to instead of placing arbitrary hurdles to jump over? It's not that hard, honestly, people are allowed to judge a game if they are given direct footage of it in action.

The teaser gave us footage, and we're allowed to judge the game based on it.

I mean ok you can judge it all you want, but to write the whole thing off based just on this is a little premature just my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Inserting combat into Sonic has been something Sega have been attempting since Sonic Heroes.

A 3D platformer with a focus on combat is....unique to say the least. But I can't help but question that decision for a Sonic game...

Like you have a character who's whole gimmick is movement and....you focus on combat instead???? Huh.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well they've spent years being bad at movement. May as well try something completely different.

It comes down, for me, on how it’s implemented. He still seems to have a lot of movement focused stuff, and his moves are more speedy and almost always moving constantly, and fast movement to fight the bigger monsters. I guess we’ll see tomorrow when there’s more footage going on.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Guy Strong said:

Still no rolling on these hills and slopes huh

We might see for sure tomorrow, but from this, no. I don’t think we’ve even seen the spindash yet.

Ew. This is soooo getting delayed. Looks unfinished as hell. You guys are looking at the same shit you were complaining a few pages back about 3D fangames. Someone just slapped Sonic into a grassy Unreal Engine map and called a day. Holy hell, those loose rails in the sky and the unfinished animations. 

Man, 5 fucking years lost again.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

7 minutes ago, Jango said:

Ew. This is soooo getting delayed. Looks unfinished as hell. You guys are looking at the same shit you we're complaining a few pages back about 3D fangames. Someone just slapped Sonic into a grassy Unreal Engine map and called a day. Holy hell, those loose rails in the sky and the unfinished animations. 

Man, 5 fucking years lost again.

It proceeds to not get a delay 

:P

Honestly though, yeah, the more I rewatch the teaser, the more it kinda gets...bad?

Thinking about those rails hanging in the sky. Either falling off of them is going to require the player to backtrack to where ever the access point for them is - a tedious exercise - or they will have to be extremely forgiving, likely to the point of barely being interactive knowing Sonic Team's MO.

So I paused the video while Sonic runs up the side of the boss thing and, uh, he doesn't appear to actually be running up the side of the boss thing.

Screenshot (15).jpg

Now granted, I’m not familiar with a lot of game design and marketing, but is there a chance those rails and some of the stuff is later out, like if this was a test environment or an earlier build to current that could not have those? (Idk, some of those rails look really weird in design, though in the image of the loop’s sonar, there is a pair of rails going upward from the ground it looks like.)

27 minutes ago, Zadent said:

It comes down, for me, on how it’s implemented. He still seems to have a lot of movement focused stuff, and his moves are more speedy and almost always moving constantly, and fast movement to fight the bigger monsters. I guess we’ll see tomorrow when there’s more footage going on.

How I'm feeling about it too. it's not like Sonic's slowly bouncing off of each enemy after a homing attack ala Heroes on lvl 1 enemies and only going about them in one way. Sonic here is just evidently much quicker to the point in general, and seemingly has multiple ways to combo into something. 

We'll still need to see if these enemies are sponges or not, including things like if Sonic can cancel moves and such, and how all that leads up to dealing with multiple enemies around him, for one thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Thinking about those rails hanging in the sky. Either falling off of them is going to require the player to backtrack to where ever the access point for them is - a tedious exercise - or they will have to be extremely forgiving, likely to the point of barely being interactive knowing Sonic Team's MO.

So I paused the video while Sonic runs up the side of the boss thing and, uh, he doesn't appear to actually be running up the side of the boss thing.

Screenshot (15).jpg

They're really just showing the game off in an unfinished state aren't they.

3 minutes ago, Zadent said:

Now granted, I’m not familiar with a lot of game design and marketing, but is there a chance those rails and some of the stuff is later out, like if this was a test environment or an earlier build to current that could not have those?

They wouldn't leave that much junk in a trailer by accident. Little things might slip through, but not dozens of rails floating in the sky in several different shots.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Zadent said:

Now granted, I’m not familiar with a lot of game design and marketing, but is there a chance those rails and some of the stuff is later out, like if this was a test environment or an earlier build to current that could not have those? (Idk, some of those rails look really weird in design, though in the image of the loop’s sonar, there is a pair of rails going upward from the ground it looks like.)

The game releases in six months. It has already spent three(I think?) years in development. Every area that will be in the game already exists, they should just need to finish everything up. This is almost certainly footage taken from an area that will be in the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

They wouldn't leave that much junk in a trailer by accident. Little things might slip through, but not dozens of rails floating in the sky in several different shots.

I mean, if it was footage from earlier builds or something, it’d make sense why it’d still be in if that was the case. Not saying it is, but I remember before with some games where things would be improved between trailers. So was just throwing that possibility out there. Those types of environments might be easier to get footage of how things work. But maybe they’ll talk about it tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I mean, the game is unfinished, so I guess this is something that could change. But it seems more likely to me that they're satisfied that as long as Sonic is zooming across the screen it doesn't matter how he is doing so, or if he is doing so in any way that is distinct to him as a character.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

The game is likely not going to have it's final build completed until the late summer-fall period, tbh.

Chances are, they're putting the finishing touches on it now, with some of the jankier animations we saw today (hopefully) touched up before it comes out.

• Thumbs Up 4