Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Game-play...?

I'm liking this gameplay. It looks pretty solid. Though combat looks stilted in places, I do like the spincycle. The boss (?) looked fun. I like how you climb onto it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'mma need a 3DWorld style trailer #2 for the gameplay...

I'm only interested in the game, but not excited...

My only personal complaint at the moment is that I really-really don't like the visual effects of attacks. Especially with the enemy at the end, it was just too much

Cautious about the focus on combat this first look had, but not hating what I'm seeing.  There's definitely going to be platforming too, and the bigger enemies look... "platformy" to fight.  Sonic is constantly changing location during combat, he's not just standing there throwing attacks out.

The music is nice too.  Ever since the unveil I've had the idea in my head that I'd love calm sounding music like this that adds layers/faster percussion during combat/high speed moments, so if that's what they're going for in the actual gameplay I'll be really happy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Watched the clip again, and....

Yeah no, this ain't growing on me. It just looks really...meh, to me. Combat looks button mashy, despite the fact that Sonic's going everywhere.

Also, there appears to be a boost in this game as well. If you look at when Sonic's grinding, the rings attract to him when he gets this sudden boost of speed.

So there's open worlds (or open zones), a boost...and combat....and platforming. Is this Unleashed again?

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It looks really good 

I agree! I am excited for this now. The combat looks fast paced too.

Well this dropped out of nowhere, did juuuuust squeeze into my ‘by the end of May’ hopes. I’m neither loving nor hating, I’m just…. intrigued for the rest of it. I need to see more.

I’m really loving the music in the trailer though.

I really like the trailer. It looks a bit automated and it's not "momentum gameplay", but I really likes the mecanics shown and the spectacle. I suppose that this new boost is more like what we have in a lot of open-world game. I'm pretty curious to see what it'll be, it have chances to be the kind of game I'm ready to sink way too much hour into, so I'm happy XD

• Thumbs Up 1

I notice during the rainy combat that Sonic runs a ring around an enemy to launch it into the air.  If the controls are responsive then I'm into stuff like that - using Sonic's typical movement mechanics as part of combat is exactly the sort of thing I want if combat is gonna be a focus.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Sean said:

I don't want a combat-focused Sonic game. This game isn't for me, then.

I'm the opposite, I've ALWAYS wanted a game like this. Very interested so far.

• Fist Bump 1

It's so beautiful. Sucks the full gameplay reveal is tomorrow right as I've got to go to work, but at least I got to be here for the very first look.

I remember saying we'd probably get something on this game in May, and I was technically, barely right, so I'm pretty pleased about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

lol this looks like shit

Random rails everywhere, boring abstract robots, spin cycle looks limp as all hell, obnoxious visual and sound effects, I'm not even sure Sonic's animating during that tornado move, what is even up with that multi-dash where he's just going in random directions until he reaches Ball Made of Smaller Balls? And it still looks like they just shoved Sonic into a completely different game, absolutely zero visual coherency between the character and world.

I guess those are the not-Korok rock guys one leak mentioned in the hamster wheel shot?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 4
  • Fist Bump 1

20220531_122401.jpg

Did anyone else get Sonic Movie vibes from these badniks?

5 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

Ok, we are definitely getting a full trailer at Summer Game Fest.

Or

Y'know

At the IGN thing that's tomorrow(?) 😛

1 minute ago, PickleBrows said:

Straight from IGN, full gameplay getting shown tomorrow.

Something to look for tomorrow then.

Maybe the full reveal will help me open up to the game more? I don't hate what I see though, and that's a major step up from games like Forces.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

I'm not even sure Sonic's animating during that tornado move, what is even up with that multi-dash where he's just going in random directions until he reaches Ball Made of Smaller Balls? And it still looks like they just shoved Sonic into a completely different game, absolutely zero visual coherency between the character and world.

yeah this was my first thought too

why the hell is Sonic's animation so... lackluster...? Also still not a fan of all the asset re-use from Forces

I'm hoping this gets delayed to 2023 because nothing about it really looks polished.

For now it's just the stuff we already knew from the leak. Curious about the full gameplay showcase, but at this point I'm just waiting for a story trailer that will not happen anytime soon by the way. (at this point I just want to know who are the friends Sonic has to save from Cyber Space, and if any of them is playable).

The game looks polished and solid, but not interesting enough so far... the only Sonic element I've seen are the grind rails, and those are automated.

So what can I take away from this alone?

Sonic retains a boost mechanic, albeit a seemingly neutered one that gives only a bit additional speed. 

He can seemingly encircle enemies to create an attack of sorts. There is a combat system with combos and techniques, thus far looking fast paced, which is fitting, with enemies seemingly taking only a few hits to several. 

The enemies shown here are definitely mechanical in nature, but they look different from past Eggman robots, assuming they are his.

The location shown isn't far from what has been in prior trailers, but we do see some familiar elements from past games, such as grindrails and boos rings, as well as a strange ring Sonic runs on, perhaps a checkpoint system of sorts that could allow transportation between location. 

I'm interested in seeing what else they haven't shown in the full trailer. 

5 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

20220531_122401.jpg

Did anyone else get Sonic Movie vibes from these badniks?

Or

Y'know

At the IGN thing that's tomorrow(?) 😛

No, it was hinted we would see more from the former, but IGN will certainly cover it regardless. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I just had a thought: What if some of Sonic’s attacks in combat were also used for mobility? Like how some of the Werehog from Unleashed’s moves could help reach higher areas?