Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

3 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

yeah this was my first thought too

why the hell is Sonic's animation so... lackluster...? Also still not a fan of all the asset re-use from Forces

I'm hoping this gets delayed to 2023 because nothing about it really looks polished.

If by assets you mainly mean Sonic, then you lost some credibility points for me. If you're referring to stuff like grindrails and such, that has been in most 3d outings. 

I'll give it more time before writing it off completely but it seems to be everything I worried it would be. Movement looks jerky, combat is more movement based than I expected but it looks clunky and uninvolved. The lighting and visuals are a mess that lack any of the clarity an action game like this needs. I guess the new logo is nice.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, phobs said:

That was one of the first thingsI noticed. It's like one of the newer Pokemon games, lol

31 minutes ago, phobs said:

My only personal complaint at the moment is that I really-really don't like the visual effects of attacks. Especially with the enemy at the end, it was just too much

Or sometimes too little. 

Looks like a lot of fun to me.  Very quick and snappy. I'm pretty excited to learn more since I always wanted a game like this. I get the feeling a lot of younger fans from the movies will like it, too.

But I can already see this game being divisive among the hardcore fandom. Especially old folks and purists. Guess we'll see what happens.

Oh yeah, that part where Sonic is spinning with his leg up in the air looks super jank as heck, though. Work on that.

• Thumbs Up 4

Here's my guess of Frontiers reveals.

This week (tomorrow) will be gameplay stuff, just to show how it'll play and the likes. June 9th will either be a repeat or a story trailer. The rest will be whatever SEGA thinks of, cuz SEGA is weird.

At the very least they got my attention

• Thumbs Up 2

yeah sonic team has no clue what tf they’re doing.

were still using remixed decade old assets? 

14 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

20220531_122401.jpg

Did anyone else get Sonic Movie vibes from these badniks?

Or

Y'know

At the IGN thing that's tomorrow(?) 😛

Oh never mind  I checked. Guess we will hear more on this tomorrow then. Wonder what will be shown at Summer Game Fest then though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, this is what I expected to see when the stuff about it being open-world, it being more combat-focused came out both from the leaks and Iizuka's wording - it'll be less of a momentum-based terrain-based platformer and more of an open-world exploratory action-adventure game with comapartively bigger combat emphasis. It definitely won't be for people that wanted the former from a Sonic game.

Frankly, I'm more open to a genre change and less of a purist, so I liked what I saw so far. The animations do look kinda janky and the combat is less clear than I'd want. Gotta wait till tomorrow to see more gameplay of this, but right now I'm cautiously excited.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Looks like a lot of fun to me.  Very quick and snappy. I'm pretty excited to learn more since I always wanted a game like this. I get the feeling a lo of younger fans from the movies will like it, too.

But I can already see this game being divisive among the hardcore fandom. Espcially old folks and purists. Guess we'll see what happens.

Oh yeah, that part where Sonic is spinning with his leg up in the air looks super jank as heck, though. Work on that.

Yeah...No. I'll just let the game actually come out and see what people actually think of the game proper. Right now, I am taking the info I am seeing and giving some observations at the moment until tomorrow at least. 

7 minutes ago, unsubjective said:

yeah sonic team has no clue what tf they’re doing.

were still using remixed decade old assets? 

If you're talking about grind rails, it will likely depend on their application on this game. If you refer to Sonic, I can't help you with that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If nothing else, it doesn't look bad. Yes, I'm setting the bar very low here.

5 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Oh, okay. 

So I guess the music's gonna fucking SLAP huh?

Music in most Sonic games always slap. That wasn't a doubt. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This honestly looks really good imo, the combat looks decent and the world doesn't feel empty which is great, can't really say more until I see the full reveal but definitely feel on the positive side.

• Thumbs Up 5

So far, I kinda like it? The visual/art style thing isn’t something I normally pay attention to, more the story and gameplay. 

- the varied attacks are neat to see. After just the stomp/slide, boost killing stuff, and the homing attack, it’s nice to see some variety and how they utilize Sonic’s speed. (I would love to see Shadow at least as a model swap. He’s a great pick, imo, for speedy combat gameplay).

- the enemies and wheel have me curious of what’s going on. A lot of digital effect, kinda akin to the ancient magi-tech feel of the Sheikah tech in BotW.

- by what they showed here, it doesn’t look like Boosting will be the optimal way to take stuff out, if even at all. Can’t complain there. It’s a speed up, but doesn’t look to be the end all or core, only a supplement.

- I’m gonna be a heretic here. We had classic when I was younger, but it apparently didn’t last as I never played sonic 3 through Adventure. Came back in Sonic Adventure 2. So with that, I guess for me the momentum based, while it can be cool and fun, isn’t a game breaker for me and not the only thing to Sonic for me, so it doesn’t bug me that it isn’t here. But having finished Shadow recently, and starting 06, I’m kinda liking the more combat heavy focused so long as the speed is also emphasized compared to BotW Link’s varied weapons skills or tools.

edit; On the model of Sonic, I just hope it has some idle animations or something.

edit2: My biggest concern is the same concern I have with Open World in general. That it might feel too big, or the activities will come down to fetch quests, lack of goal (Legends: Arceus was this way for me. I felt so aimless when I played. I need a goal), or hard to feel progression (botw can make you feel like you aren’t progressing much, without all the tools/Twilight princess sword skills)

• Thumbs Up 2

Really hope there’s more visual variety than BOTW field area since that’s all we’ve been getting.

AND NO SEGA THAT DOESNT MEAN I WANT YOU SHOWING EVERY SINGLE LEVEL/AREA BEFORE RELEASE

• Thumbs Up 4

I like this. I hope the combat feels smooth and not mindlessly easy, and I hope there's enough fun platforming and that world traversal is fun.

2 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Really hope there’s more visual variety than BOTW field area since that’s all we’ve been getting.

AND NO SEGA THAT DOESNT MEAN I WANT YOU SHOWING EVERY SINGLE LEVEL/AREA BEFORE RELEASE

There probably will be. We already know the game takes place on multiple islands that will probably each be visually distinct.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sega saw everyone wanted a PC port of Unleashed and naturally came to the conclusion that we wanted more fleshed out combat in a Sonic game like the Werehog lol

This may just be me, but waiting what feels like an eternity to get even breadcrumbs of information or gameplay does not built hype once you've passed a certain amount of time and Frontiers passed that threshold a while ago. Unless the gameplay was something astronomical, I wouldn't be impressed, just like I'm not impressed now. 

This is by no means bad, I think it looks pretty alright! The combat is the biggest concern, that moment where Sonic slowly walks around an enemy to do his attack..... yeah, that's not what I want. It didn't help that I was thinking of Lost Worlds' walking mechanics seeing that. It probably controls better than that though, but idk.

Overall I think it looks good but I'm far from impressed, which is what I had a feeling would happen. Its doing a lot of things right but also a lot of it that I think justifies why some of those early 4chan leaks thought the game wasnt all that good, even in beta. I think this will be the best 3D Sonic game since Generations, but the bar wasn't exactly very high for that. 

I'm trying really hard to keep an open mind about Frontiers, but... it's really hard.

That the first gameplay footage is focused almost entirely on combat tells us that that is what the gameplay is going to be focused on. Between this and Iizuka's statement that he wants Frontiers to be the basis for what Sonic is going forward the days of Sonic as a platformer appear to be over. Unfortunately, the combat looks stiff and the enemies appear to be damage sponges. Just like in the Heroes-06 era.

All in all, it looks like the professional competency we've been accepting since Unleashed. Nothing more and nothing less.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Grind rails look very strange just floating like that

But they always float though (Again, gravity is weird in games). 

• Thumbs Up 2

All of that said, I do wonder what role rings will have in Frontiers. I can't imagine Open World the Action RPG using the traditional Sonic health system.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Zoomzeta said:

But they always float though (Again, gravity is weird in games). 

They’re made to at least look like a natural extension of the environment in all the past games, here they’re just placed like a random unity asset

• Thumbs Up 2