Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

6 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Great, MORE new friends! What about his old friends? Are they going to be relegated to extras and cameos in this show?!

Poor Tails. Why doesn't Sega just retire him at this point?!

I swear, whenever I see you post you're always upset about Tails. It kinda creeps me out to be honest 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, I just noticed something. Remember back in August when it said that Sonic Prime could possibly release on Netflix in December? Well, here's something better. There was a video I saw on YouTube yesterday about updates of the release date, and it said that Sonic Prime might release in the middle of December, which could possibly mean that Sonic Prime could possibly release on December 15th.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, SonicBoomFan101 said:

Hey, I just noticed something. Remember back in August when it said that Sonic Prime could possibly release on Netflix in December? Well, here's something better. There was a video I saw on YouTube yesterday about updates of the release date, and it said that Sonic Prime might release in the middle of December, which could possibly mean that Sonic Prime could possibly release on December 15th.

I won't believe that until Netflix confirms it. 

The one constant in the Sonic series no matter the continuity is that Sonic will, at some point, fight Eggman and/or Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

The one constant in the Sonic series no matter the continuity is that Sonic will, at some point, fight Eggman and/or Shadow.

To me, the question is: Why exactly is Sonic fighting Shadow, other than them being rivals?

I guess we’ll find out in the show.

• Thumbs Up 1

So overall, I was pretty impressed by this teaser. Sure, it didn't show any of the Shatterverse stuff, but I'd imagine we'll get another trailer by then.

Sonic's new voice is starting to grow on me the more I hear, but I kinda wish we heard a bit more from Eggman & Shadow. As for the animation as a whole, it looks great! Easily topping Sonic Boom, even in the action department.

Not really sure how to feel about Sonic's rolled up form not glowing like in a lot of other forms of media. Sure, it wasn't always the case in the 1st Sonic Movie, but still had a glow for the most part. It's not bad in Prime, it just looks odd to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just saw the trailer and I thought that it was pretty good.  I really love the fighting scenes between Eggman and Sonic and I'm glad that Shadow is in the show.  Although, I do have a problem with the backgrounds as they look a bit stilted and empty.  Hopefully, they can improve on this in the show itself.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think squash/stretch is always the best approach. I think this technique in Prime is too intense, and I don't think it fits modern Sonic. I highly prefer Sonic's running animation from Sonic Unleashed, for example, instead of something like Sonic Lost World's and Prime's that's like classic Sonic. Sonic Unleashed had a little bit of squash/stretch, but it was more balanced. Sonic Prime looks like Looney Tunes' kind of animation. Which is fine by me, I think it works in Prime. I only don't think it works in games that have more serious tones.

• Thumbs Up 1

So it was confirmed by one of the animators of this show that no Sonic SatAM characters such as the Freedom Fighters will NOT be appearing in Sonic Prime, which is total bullcrap. It continues to show that SEGA pretty much hates SatAM and Archie Sonic along its fans, and treats them like their worthless.

There is still a chance that IDW Sonic characters could appear in the show, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

So it was confirmed by one of the animators of this show that no Sonic SatAM characters such as the Freedom Fighters will NOT be appearing in Sonic Prime, which is total bullcrap. It continues to show that SEGA pretty much hates SatAM and Archie Sonic along its fans, and treats them like their worthless.

Or, and here's a wild idea, they don't want to bring back characters like Sally because their purposes have long passed as newer characters already fill the roles SATAM/Archie characters.

There was also the Ken Penders shitshow, that probably also has something to do with it. I'm just saying.

• Thumbs Up 4

17 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

There is still a chance that IDW Sonic characters could appear in the show, though.

I wouldn't say that SEGA hates the SATAM and Archie fans.  The reason why the Freedom Fighters aren't being used is because they are no longer apart of the new continuity that SEGA has set up.  The Freedom Fighters came from a time where SEGA didn't have much of a lore for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and they only started to give Sonic his own lore around the time Sonic Adventure came out.  Also, I'm pretty sure that Sonic Prime is going to be its own thing, so there wouldn't be a need for the Freedom Fighters in this series, unless SEGA or the people working on this series change their minds about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2022 at 11:09 PM, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Or, and here's a wild idea, they don't want to bring back characters like Sally because their purposes have long passed as newer characters already fill the roles SATAM/Archie characters.

There was also the Ken Penders shitshow, that probably also has something to do with it. I'm just saying.

20 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I wouldn't say that SEGA hates the SATAM and Archie fans.  The reason why the Freedom Fighters aren't being used is because they are no longer apart of the new continuity that SEGA has set up.  The Freedom Fighters came from a time where SEGA didn't have much of a lore for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and they only started to give Sonic his own lore around the time Sonic Adventure came out.  Also, I'm pretty sure that Sonic Prime is going to be its own thing, so there wouldn't be a need for the Freedom Fighters in this series, unless SEGA or the people working on this series change their minds about that.

Not touching the "purposes filled by other characters thing", but I know a lot of folks were hopeful that SatAM could be an alternate dimension Sonic might visit in an episode given the theme of the show is essentially "Into the Sonic-verse". Especially since WildBrain, the company making Prime, also owns SatAM (as well as AOSTH and Underground). The characters from those shows are owned by Sega regardless, but having that connection was seen as a plus.

The chances for them appearing were slim anyway, but it's still disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sticks appeared on Sonic Channel and alongside the main cast in the Olympics, and SEGA's still resistant to any pitches for her to appear in IDW. That's a character introduced in 2014 and has been missing since 2016. If they won't even bring her back, the Freedom Fighters are gone-gone.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Razule said:

Sticks appeared on Sonic Channel and alongside the main cast in the Olympics, and SEGA's still resistant to any pitches for her to appear in IDW. That's a character introduced in 2014 and has been missing since 2016. If they won't even bring her back, the Freedom Fighters are gone-gone.

I'm assuming they didn't bring Sticks back because she's apart of the Sonic Boom franchise and when that franchise failed, SEGA just dropped every character created for that series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't be so bothered that the DIC stuff wasn't going to be in this show, except that without such things, and likely other pre-established alternate universes, the idea of Sonic crossing over with alternate universes feels like a waste.  I know a lot of people are sick of IP-flexing crossovers at this point and if this show finally burns people out on the concept for a while, I'd actually be happy, but in this case we aren't just missing out on a crossover; we're missing out on a chance to see other people's interpretations of Sonic brought back into prominence, and this sucks for a lot of fans because they have issues with how SEGA is currently handling the brand.  This show is most likely just another chance for them to be bossy in defining what Sonic is.

Also has anyone else noticed that the crossover aspect of this show has basically disappeared from its promotion?  If I'm not mistaken, the last time that got any attention was in the leaked concept art we saw of Sonic visiting Cavewoman Amy and a few other people.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I wouldn't be so bothered that the DIC stuff wasn't going to be in this show, except that without such things, and likely other pre-established alternate universes, the idea of Sonic crossing over with alternate universes feels like a waste.  I know a lot of people are sick of IP-flexing crossovers at this point and if this show finally burns people out on the concept for a while, I'd actually be happy, but in this case we aren't just missing out on a crossover; we're missing out on a chance to see other people's interpretations of Sonic brought back into prominence, and this sucks for a lot of fans because they have issues with how SEGA is currently handling the brand.  This show is most likely just another chance for them to be bossy in defining what Sonic is.

Also has anyone else noticed that the crossover aspect of this show has basically disappeared from its promotion?  If I'm not mistaken, the last time that got any attention was in the leaked concept art we saw of Sonic visiting Cavewoman Amy and a few other people.

Plus... y'know... Wildbrain fucking OWNS the DiC library. 

No, really. AdventuresSatAM, and that weird one very few people like or care about are all streaming - for free (with ads, but still) - on their YouTube channel. Yeah, the Archie versions would never happen because of lawyers, but the DiC ones are fair game and not including them in a multiverse show  - even for just one episode - is like if Sony and Marvel made Spider-Man: No Way Home WITHOUT Molina, Dafoe, Maguire and Garfield. Just... why? Why would you do that? Why would you go to all that trouble in setting up a touchdown, and then NOT run the ball to the endzone? WildBrain still like the DiC stuff, and fans have been asking for any version of the Freedom Fighters for years now, so the only explanation is that Sega just do not give a damn about said characters. And because they're co-producing this, what they say GOES... even if both fans and creatives think that it's total bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Plus... y'know... Wildbrain fucking OWNS the DiC library. 

No, really. AdventuresSatAM, and that weird one very few people like or care about are all streaming - for free (with ads, but still) - on their YouTube channel. Yeah, the Archie versions would never happen because of lawyers, but the DiC ones are fair game and not including them in a multiverse show  - even for just one episode - is like if Sony and Marvel made Spider-Man: No Way Home WITHOUT Molina, Dafoe, Maguire and Garfield. Just... why? Why would you do that? Why would you go to all that trouble in setting up a touchdown, and then NOT run the ball to the endzone? WildBrain still like the DiC stuff, and fans have been asking for any version of the Freedom Fighters for years now, so the only explanation is that Sega just do not give a damn about said characters. And because they're co-producing this, what they say GOES... even if both fans and creatives think that it's total bullshit.

It almost feels like business as usual when SEGA tries to imitate something that is currently popular but has no understanding why it's popular.  Multiverses are not popular for their own sake; a multiverse is only as good as the individual universes that comprise it.  While this does not mean the ones they're creating for this show are going to suck, how good can they really be if they're only meant to be viewed for one episode?  How much does Amy suddenly being a cavewoman give them to work with?  "Whoa Amy; you're a cavewoman!  In my universe you're not a cavewoman; isn't that weird?!"  That sort of humor doesn't work with alternate versions you just made up unless the alternate version of a character is so different as to be nearly opposite to the familiar one; otherwise for that contrast to be funny it has to rest on observations that viewers share.  For example, if DIC Sonic says "Gotta juice" and Adventure Sonic asks him if "juice" means "go fast", that might be funny to old Sonic fans because they actually remember a weird time when it did mean that, and also understand that many people do not remember that time so inevitably will find it weird.  But if Original Version of Sonic 24 is confused by Original Version of Sonic 47 saying "Let's make like a fasarta and pad it!" then we can only take the writers' word that this is a valid interchange that displays valid confusion, in the same way as you can't really laugh at jokes about lawyers, politicians or mothers-in-law if you never knew that those sorts of people had a bad reputation.

Also, while we're on the subject of observational humor, I'm sorry but a show that just presents different versions of Sonic as exciting selling points in themselves is not owed the benefit of the doubt when so often this franchise's experimentation with many different ideas has brought it embarrassment.  Not only do some of these experiments become so hated that they poison the whole reputation of the product they're in, but even when they're successful they just lead to fandom rivalries.  The reason things like Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse are funny isn't just that they give us a bunch of alternate versions of a popular superhero; it's because they poke fun at a relatable trend in consumerist economies, whereby any popular brand hogs up a lot of the merchandising and spin-off opportunities because they hope for them to succeed based on name-recognition alone.  A lot of Sonic fans when they see old American trading cards with ostensibly official facts about Sonic that he doesn't swear or do drugs will instantly recognize this as an attempt to hijack a popular brand to push an agenda and also a company so obsessed with money that they just let it happen; meanwhile Sonic says "shit" in the original version of Sonic X and was depicted smoking in a picture posted in Sonic Team's Japanese office, things that people will obviously point to in their responses.  AoSTH Sonic warning children about pedophilia is a meme for the same reason.  And this sort of observational humor is what should drive a Sonic series that involves showing us many different takes on Sonic; the characters have to agree with viewers about things they find absurd.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Freedom Fighters not appearing is sad, but I never really expected them to be in Sonic Prime. 

But that vage answer for IDW characters is interesting... It would be really neat.

• Thumbs Up 2

As contradictory as it is to how fans view Sonic, SEGA doesn't view Sonic as a franchise that honors the many interpretations it's had over the years. There's many Peter Parkers in shows, and games, and comics, and movies, but there's only supposed to be one Sonic. Er, two or three. Classic Sonic is past Sonic again so I don't know if he counts, but he's an offshoot that represents the Genesis era. Movie Sonic is something they have little control over, but it's widely successful so he's sticking around for now. Everything else was made during different, long past eras that they'd rather not acknowledge.

• Thumbs Up 3

It really bothers me that SEGA has this approach, tbh. Like... they could make SO much more money if they honored the various branches of the franchise. A dimensional travel series would have been a GREAT way to get some extra fanservice and excitement.

I just dunno. SEGA of Japan's priorities with regards to the past and western contributions always bothered me.

• Thumbs Up 1

you guys are seriously overestimating the importance of Satam and other non game related productions. I understand that you got your hopes up when absolutely not a single thing had been promised, but SEGA is not losing any money by not including those characters from media that was created when the series still had to find its footing. Some of you are even thinking that Sega of Japan (those devious Japanese, am I right, because it's not like Japan ever had its own takes on the Japanese IP Sonic The Hedgehog) is jealous or spiteful or something else. 

But really, there is no loss in just showing a multiverse where Amy is a cavewoman and Tails has multiple ... tails over "hey remember Satam"?

And this is coming from someone who doesn't care about SATAM yes, but the same could be applied to things I liked and that are over and done like Sonic The Comic or Sonic X or the OVA or heck AOSTH for what it was. 

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture, SEGA (and I don't mean just "THOSE" Japanese) is doing fine and well like this. Sonic Prime can stand on its own without pulling a No Way Home

• Thumbs Up 4