Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

11 hours ago, JezMM said:

Really, Orbot and Cubot have this real "have always been around" energy to them that makes it easy enough to assume they just don't attend every single adventure with Eggman and Colours just happens to be the first time Eggman promoted them to some sort of significant duty / Sonic met them directly.

Well to Prime's credit, despite having that energy, they weren't used in any of the flashbacks we know they weren't made yet in. (for instance Orbot's creation is in Unleashed if what Ian says about SA-55 is true) That being said it odd that they didn't get a shard variant now that I think of it.

As much as I obsess over Sonic lore, I don't know why fans keep asking "when this takes place" all the time. You know it doesn't really matter, right?

I always assume Chronological Order = Release Order, until something proves otherwise. So how about right after Frontiers? Or before, if you really worry about Sage.

Holy shit the last season was terrible. The show was probably like a 6 at best with how out of character and padded and fucking ugly it was (and declining more and more the longer it went) but the third season was about 30 minutes of conflict (and seemingly overall budget) stretched out for 7 episodes. Absolutely wretched, and not even with the absurd "Just what the fuck is this" energy that dreck like Underground had. My favorite part (aside from when they recreated a scene from Sunset Hill so badly that it looked worse than shit I saw on Newgrounds when Sonic Advance 3 was new) was when Douchebag Goatee Eggman threatened Shadow with a sword of all things and Shadow fucking gave up. So "canon" it takes photos.

It was the Sonic franchise personification of "content for streaming platforms."

On 1/14/2024 at 7:09 PM, JezMM said:

How many times did they beat all the robots but actually no, there's more.  How many times did Sonic realise "wait... Nine is after ME for my energy!"  How many times did Nine frustratingly go "no, I need more power!" and draw additional power out of the beam in a way that suggested he was really pushing it/himself to the limit this time.  Guh.

I counted 6, 4 and 7, respectively. I noticed it at one point and actively started looking for it. Sonic also gave Nine the same speech about how they need to work together to fix everything almost verbatim three god damned times. The entire last season could have fit in one episode. 

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

Now that the series has ended, I would like to know what you think about the series in general.I want them to be as objective as possible man, I will give it a rating of 7.5/10, I really liked the action scenes, they are good, I liked how they went deeper into some characters, I loved Nine's character, I have a love/hate him lmao, But it still has its flaws, like they didn't expand the story more like meeting other Sonics, some reused scenes, I would like to know your opinion in a respectful manner please 😄

On 1/17/2024 at 4:38 PM, Tornado said:

My favorite part (aside from when they recreated a scene from Sunset Hill so badly that it looked worse than shit I saw on Newgrounds when Sonic Advance 3 was new) was when Douchebag Goatee Eggman threatened Shadow with a sword of all things and Shadow fucking gave up. So "canon" it takes photos.

...what?

I haven't really bothered too much with Prime after Season 1, but are you shitting me?!

Who the fuck is the showrunner? They need a serious talking to.

• Chuckle 2

I don't even know why that's supposed to be objectionable.

That's nice. I personally don't like the "this is the Canon version you know already" character arbitrarily acting like a punk ass bitch when faced with only the slightest adversity purely to pad runtime in a show that was already at least ten episodes longer than it should have been and already had constant problems showing why things were actually a threat (and certainly not when that character had spent the entire show to that point ripping into Sonic for the same punk ass bitch behavior that didn't fit him either); but I'm unsurprised Late Stage Diogenes finds it odd others care about such things.

Sorry, after years of "Shadow rushing into a fight, confident he can't be beaten, instead of being cautious and listening to his allies" being treated as the worst writing ever, I just can't see why Shadow being cautious and listening to his allies rather than rushing into a fight confident he can't be beaten is terrible.

It's not like he's standing there cowering, he just doesn't run face first into a sword. He holds back until the Eggmen start infighting, then attacks.

I think I figured out when Sonic Prime takes place: a few years into the future of the last Sonic game. Somewhere after Green Hill completes itself.

A seemingly innocent checkered rocks and stripes grass was in fact a highly aggressive and invasive flora. By events of Sonic Forces, it is spread around half of the content and it keeps on expanding like a plague. Only one man was smart enough to see the threat and attempted to stop it with industrialization and pollution, but the guileful greenery found itself a blue champion to protect it and possibly spread its influence by running across the planet.

By the Sonic Prime, all is in its image. Most animal beings are gone, for they were not the Green Hill, so they were not to be. The few remaining are blindly worshiping Palm Tree, the symbol of their New Eldritch God. The scientist is desperate. His only hope is to break reality itself, in hopes of creating a world where Green Hill is no more. But his plan shattered.

The weird cliffhanger at the end of the show? That's Green Hill about to discard its cult, as they are no longer needed.

There, all the plotholes fixed. You're welcome

Edited by MetalSkulkBane
  • Chuckle 2

Finally saw season 3 and it was okay.  Like, I love the fact that Nine is the villain of the season and the action sequences were very well done.  But, the third season spent too much time on the action sequences and it felt like we were watching nothing but action sequences throughout the whole season without really delving into the characters themselves.  Also, I was a bit disappointed that we didn't see much of the original counterparts of Sonic's friends in this show.  As for whether or not this show is canon to the games, I personally couldn't care less since most of the Sonic the Hedgehog TV shows don't tend to follow the games faithfully.

Edited by Rabbitearsblog
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 5 weeks later...

Decided to binge the series from start to finish, as I've had been out of a Sonic mood until like a month or two ago, and wanted to check out what this was all about.

In a nutshell, I'd say it's okay as far as just basic surface-level animated Sonic entertainment is concerned. The initial familiar cast of characters act mostly in-line with what the mainline continuity has been rolling with (though I do find it kind of weird how Rouge here seems more affiliated with Sonic's friends and at the frontlines to stop Eggman's shenanigans alongside them rather than being semi-neutral and has no interaction with Shadow), and for a couple of these alternate depictions of the characters such Rusty Rose and Nine I do find their initial personalities and backgrounds behind them interesting and seeing Sonic having to come to terms with that these versions of two of his longtime friends are hostile or distrustful was engaging to keep watching, but I feel that one of the biggest hindrances of the show getting to develop it's plot much is Sonic's blatant naïvety.

I get that this is a case of 'depending on the writer', but Sonic really has a hard time grasping that these different versions of his friends aren't familiar with him in any capacity and blindly trusts them to be good-natured and in line with his way of thinking, which is the main drive for the friction between him and Nine, and it was rather frustrating to see the cliffhanger ending for season 2 unfold exactly like Shadow was hinting at and that Sonic took no precaution to approach Nine differently knowing it.

Season 1 was alright enough in setting up the different universes/cast and season 2 in setting up an sense of urgency in the Chaos Emerald-expy scavenger hunt and somewhat further developing the characters, with the only brown spots being the overreliance of flashy robot fighting/dodging scenes to fill up the action, and it usually being against the same robot models that made it sort of drag on, and the different Eggmens while they get the job done as the required main antagonist force, I just don't really find their interactions between each other clicking as much compared to Eggman yelling/snarking at his own henchmen. Might be that I find it personally working better when Eggman's ego and bossy nature makes him a more entertaining character when he bosses around his henchmen rather than having to be the leader of a bunch of different versions of himself with the same authority as he has, but that's just my opinion.

And yeah, season 3 felt how do I put it...unnecessarily drawn out and extending a simple 2-episode length premise into a whole season of Nine just sending out robot copies for the crew to fight. I mean I get that it's a means to unite for a common cause, but it felt so prolonged I was relieved when it finally ended and things went back to the status quo in an expected fashion, but in the long haul I felt Prime was just 'okay', with none of the wild ups and downs X had back in the 2000's, which is a real shame as I do totally get the feeling the writers wanted to be more creative with the overall plot, but were restrained from doing so.

(Still doesn't excuse the poor quality of some of the sprite-animation sequences, though. Like, out of context I'd assume this was some teen's first try at Newgrounds flash animation rather than part of an official product.)

• Thumbs Up 1

This series as a whole caught be by surprise. I rather enjoyed it. My biggest complaints is that it ended too soon.