Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

2 hours ago, jungle_penguins said:

This studio used to have an animation quota of 40 seconds a week per animator, wonder if that still holds true now. 

That's... low, right? Might explain why it's taking forever, although I'm sure it's better on their work-life balance than any of the big guys.

3 hours ago, ART-DX said:

That's a good question dude. I didn't think a lot of it, but I would like some tribal universe or a medieval aesthetic. (Like a Manowar cover)

See, there's the spirit! Love your ideas... do you like mine? (And, just for kicks, let's throw in a WW2 pulp verse, too. That'd be incredible!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

That's... low, right? Might explain why it's taking forever, although I'm sure it's better on their work-life balance than any of the big guys.

See, there's the spirit! Love your ideas... do you like mine? (And, just for kicks, let's throw in a WW2 pulp verse, too. That'd be incredible!

Loved the ideas. Dude, that possibilities for universes versions are infinite. I would love to see something like a metalhead Amy.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

40 seconds a week is extremely high. What's going on in terms of your perceived delay, is that when they first announced the show, no animation was done yet and it was still a lot of preproduction work being done for a few months after the announcement before the animators got to work on it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, jungle_penguins said:

40 seconds a week is extremely high. What's going on in terms of your perceived delay, is that when they first announced the show, no animation was done yet and it was still a lot of preproduction work being done for a few months after the announcement before the animators got to work on it. 

Oh.

Ooooooooooh.

...Jesus, I hope they can at least spend Canada Day with their families. And I know everybody's asking for Frontiers to be delayed... but maaaaaaaaybe we should think about delaying this, too? As much as I want it to be out, I also don't want the animators to suffer so that I can Consume The Product™ before Netflix's next earnings report.

(Oh, and I don't think WildBrain is a union joint, either. So if we don't want them getting burnt out, a delay is the only sensible option they have.)

1 hour ago, ART-DX said:

Loved the ideas. Dude, that possibilities for universes versions are infinite. I would love to see something like a metalhead Amy.

Dude, a metal universe would be AWESOME! But only if backed by a Canadian rock OST for the AGES. 

Spoiler

Plus Crush 40 imported from "below the border," lol.

I don't know about how it works now, but in the past, this and many other CGI studios in Canada were known for massive amounts of overtime (maybe unpaid too?) due to short deadlines. They figured out a system years ago that allows them to churn out plenty of 3D animated shows with less money spent. As a result though, some animation looks a bit rough at times. Netflix seems to only be distribution and maybe some marketing, thus have no impact in if animators have to rush or not. They probably aren't having as a difficult time as before since there's more money involved which = more time to refine.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, jungle_penguins said:

I don't know about how it works now, but in the past, this and many other CGI studios in Canada were known for massive amounts of overtime (maybe unpaid too?) due to short deadlines. They figured out a system years ago that allows them to churn out plenty of 3D animated shows with less money spent. As a result though, some animation looks a bit rough at times. Netflix seems to only be distribution and maybe some marketing, thus have no impact in if animators have to rush or not. They probably aren't having as a difficult time as before since there's more money involved which = more time to refine.

Ah, I see. So, assume things are going smoothly until the showrunners say otherwise, right?

(Also: What universes do you want? Just curious.)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

Ah, I see. So, assume things are going smoothly until the showrunners say otherwise, right?

(Also: What universes do you want? Just curious.)

Yeah, it's likely a less stressful production, there's even less episodes than normal (24 instead of 26?). 

I want original universes but with a tiny cameo of like, one of the DIC stuff (maybe Sonic Underground reference)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jungle_penguins said:

Yeah, it's likely a less stressful production, there's even less episodes than normal (24 instead of 26?). 

I want original universes but with a tiny cameo of like, one of the DIC stuff (maybe Sonic Underground reference)

Well, that's... probably what we're getting, so could you be more specific? Hate to be a pain, but try and think of what genres you want. (I want kaiju, 90s spy, and comic book hero universes, for instance. Hope that helps.)

7 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

Well, that's... probably what we're getting, so could you be more specific? Hate to be a pain, but try and think of what genres you want. (I want kaiju, 90s spy, and comic book hero universes, for instance. Hope that helps.)

I personally don't really like the multiverse concept, like there's probably going to be a caveman universe, or a universe that's mirrored, and if that happens then that's fine by me.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jungle_penguins said:

I personally don't really like the multiverse concept, like there's probably going to be a caveman universe, or a universe that's mirrored, and if that happens then that's fine by me.

Neither do I, friend. But hey... can't help the cards, eh?

15 hours ago, Piko said:

This is normal for Netflix; they tend to be hush-hush about their projects until a few weeks before release, at which point they’ll start dropping trailers left, right and centre. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

I agree.  Netflix is pretty notorious for showing things at the last second.  At least with Sonic Prime, they are showing some clips from the show before its official release date.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

So who do you guys think will be the composer for the show?

I really hope Prime has a kickass soundtrack.

I hope there's good music in this show too!

5 hours ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

Hmm. I want Grant Kirkhope, Crush 40 and Hyper Potions all collating... but none of them are Canadian. So it'll probably be the Justin Bieber that really needs a quick check, lol. Maaaaaaaaybe Celine Dion for the outro, but don't bet on it...

4 hours ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

One thing I noticed is that a lot of recent non-game Sonic media have soundtracks that are passable, but not exceptional.

Especially Boom and the movies.

Yeah, wouldn't get your hopes up. Junkie XL does great work, but absolutely none of it is on display in the Sonic movies. Exhibit A:

Versus exhibit B:

And, finally, exhibit C.

6 hours ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

I really hope Prime has a kickass soundtrack.

Composers for Sonic Prime are confirmed to be Steffan Andrews and Mike Shields. Just looked at Andrews' Facebook page.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, jungle_penguins said:

Steffan Andrews and Mike Shields

...who? No, really, never heard of 'em. Got any samples?

2 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

...who? No, really, never heard of 'em. Got any samples?

Ummm just listen to the Mega Man show music Andrews worked on that.

I am so hyped for the soundtrack for Sonic Prime also I do not like the music of the Mega Man show but Steffan Andrews and Mike Shields composing for Sonic Prime is amazing but I hope for the theme song, The Weeknd and for the closing I hope for Celine Dion or Avril Lavigne. I hope Sonic Prime will be a good animation Series.

I really wish Sega would update to current mainline Sonic design to reflect some of Prime's interpretation of it. It's still the same design at its core but the extra detail and expressiveness goes a long way. 

• Thumbs Up 7

THIS is the same studio that did that terrible Megaman design? I can't believe how GOOD this Sonic looks. Between this and Movie Sonic, the Sonic Team model reeeeeally letting a lot to be desired.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm really loving the art designs of this Sonic.  It actually looks like Sonic!  I can't wait to see how he will move about in the show!

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, SanPolo4389 said:

That pose in the lower left was giving me deja vu until I figured out where I had seen that before. They just copied that from a render...

Sonic_checkout.thumb.png.d41ab97903da449eadf4689c12a57664.png

49 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

That pose in the lower left was giving me deja vu until I figured out where I had seen that before. They just copied that from a render...

Sonic_checkout.thumb.png.d41ab97903da449eadf4689c12a57664.png

The differences between them I've seen are the fur texture and the extra detail in Sonic's gloves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Really like the designs here, particularly in how rugged his main shoes look. I just hope the writing is up to snuff... with Man of Action, you can never really tell.

5 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Really like the designs here, particularly in how rugged his main shoes look. I just hope the writing is up to snuff... with Man of Action, you can never really tell.

They did say that it's from the same writers of Generator Rex, although I guess we'll have to wait and see how this show comes out.

• Thumbs Up 3