Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

Hoenn was the second best gen for me, behing blue/red. To me the new pokemon don't look as striking as they should.They look like more of what you would see as a monster in a JRPG that you just beat up for exp. points and forget about them(especially with the boring/stupid names they have.)

After Hoenn, Sinnoh went backwards for me,The land was not as interesting or diverse, the pockets of open exploration were back to regular routes of Johto/Kanto and everything that R/S did good was practically gone.

Still don't see the problem with the Pokemon in the 3. Gen; they are not as good as Gen 1/2, but they looked consistently good and they tried with each one, with Gen 4 it was half and half, with 5 they dropped the ball.

Edited by ChikaBoing

R/S/E was the last time most of the pokemon looked decent. They should of stopped there. Those new pokemon look so fugely, they are not even trying anymore.

hatersgonnahatepokemon.gif

• Thumbs Up 5

Sexy.

But isn't Lucario a Physical attacker, or am I being a tit?

He gets Nasty Plot in Black/White, which makes him a good special attacker, if not better than his physical set thanks to his naturally higher base special attack, and the fact that it can still beat special walls like Blissey with it's special attacking set (+2 modest natured Aura Sphere 2HKOs most Blissey if I remember right) mean that it's a pretty nice special attacker.

KOing Blissey with Special Attacks = I barfed rainbows

KOing Blissey with Special Attacks = I barfed rainbows

Hey as of 5th Gen, a Specs Chandelure can 2OHKO it, I mean it has 145 Base Sp. A that's pretty beasty....just make sure it doesn't have any Water attacks.

I got my 4th Gen. Pokemon over to my White version, so now its time to start bulding my Next Generation of ass kickers.

Anyone know how to get Dark Pulse on Hydreigon?

R/S/E was the last time most of the pokemon looked decent. They should of stopped there. Those new pokemon look so fugely, they are not even trying anymore.

I've got to totally disagree here. The 3rd generation is commonly seen as the worst design wise. This time though there's definitely no more than ten stinkers and the rest are awesome. I've never been so eager to restart the game and play through with a different party.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gen3 is really the only generation of Pokémon I give a minimal amount of shit about. Gen4 had plenty of decent (if not outstanding) designs, and Gen5 just looks good all around.

Because of just how much of a nerd I am, I love all the Generations. I do admit 3rd gen was the weakest though.

To be honest, alot of the 3rd generation Pokemon looked alot Digimon to me. (Nothing against Digimon, mind you, The simularities design-wise just bugged me alot.)

However, I loved the unique towns in the Hoenn regon. I would have never expected to run into a treetop village or come across a town within a crater or a manmade town in the middle of the ocean. I kinda wish there were more towns like these in gen IV and V, IMO.

I also enjoyed making secret bases. They were pointless, sure, but I love making my own house in games and designing it to my liking.

So while the Pokemon's designs weren't the greatest, I thought it was a pretty fun game to play IMO.

Edited by The Stinking Recolor

I'm gonna have to agree with Generation III being pretty much at the bottom. It had plenty of designs that I liked (Banette, Ludicolo, Wailord, Deoxys, Milotic, Wynaut, a bunch of others), and I certainly wouldn't call it bad, but on the whole it felt a bit bland and filler-y. There were probably less outright stinkers in Gen III than any of the others, but there were far more designs than usual that were just... boring. I mean, maybe I'm way off-base here, but who really remembers Electrike, Grumpig or Delcatty?

Part of why I love Generation V's Pokemon so much is because they took risks. They dared to be stupid. They remembered that Generation I pulled off some wacky shit back in the day, so why not try that again now? I don't like all of the results of that line of thinking on an individual basis, but as a group they really work for me. Like, I'd never call Throh or Vanilluxe personal favourites, but I'm glad that they exist, y'know?

...I'm going to echo The Stinking Recolor on Secret Bases. One of my favourite features in Gold and Silver was being able to customize my room, and seeing it dwindle away to nothing in recent generations kind of depresses me.

Edited by Octarine

So I'm done with Lucario now. I'm still thinking about what to do for my third member, but I'm actually strongly considering Blissey. Items can't be used in the Battle Frontier so it'd be great to have a wall that can do some healing for the team. I could go for another offensive Pokémon, but I'm thinking the benefits for having a healer are incredibly appealing.

If all else fails, then I can simply make my third member a switchable one. Just train a Blissey and an additional fourth Pokémon so I can choose between the two depending on my mood. It depends on how much patience I have for this, though (not very much).

So I'm done with Lucario now. I'm still thinking about what to do for my third member, but I'm actually strongly considering Blissey. Items can't be used in the Battle Frontier so it'd be great to have a wall that can do some healing for the team. I could go for another offensive Pokémon, but I'm thinking the benefits for having a healer are incredibly appealing.

If all else fails, then I can simply make my third member a switchable one. Just train a Blissey and an additional fourth Pokémon so I can choose between the two depending on my mood. It depends on how much patience I have for this, though (not very much).

I'd say Blissey is a good choice, its THE special wall, it locks done pretty much ANY special attack, and its got a shit load of HP to back it up. Too bad its Physical Defense, and Physical Attack suck, but it can't be too broken.

I recommend a Calm natured one.

dat 255 base hp stat

(BTW that's the maximum possible value and aside from Chansey nothing gets anywhere near it.

Properly trained Blisseys will sit on about 700HP at Lv100.)

I'd say Blissey is a good choice, its THE special wall, it locks done pretty much ANY special attack, and its got a shit load of HP to back it up. Too bad its Physical Defense, and Physical Attack suck, but it can't be too broken.

I recommend a Calm natured one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given that Blissey's Defense stat at Lv 100 is no higher than 25, if you stack Def at all you're doing it wrong.

To be honest, alot of the 3rd generation Pokemon looked alot Digimon to me.

The 4th and 5th Gen ones look just as much or even more like Digimon I think.

I was actually thinking of getting a nature that boosts Defense, of all things. It would help me stand a better chance at surviving at least one physical attack, giving me an additional turn to heal and what have you.

EDIT: After nearly four hours of Chansey egg hatching, Sean gets the following: 21/31/25/26/9/13.

> Att: 31

> SpD: 9

fucking why.jpg

I know I hate that too.

You could always run Bold, but like its been said Blissey's defense ain't nothing to cry home about, one physical stab is probably enough to take it out.

I'll go for a Calm nature then. Kinda pissed that I spent half of yesterday doing all but wasted work, though.

EDIT: So I got a pretty good Chansey that suits my needs. I'm not sure what movepool I should use though, so any suggestions would be cool. Moves I am considering:

- Softboiled: Of course.

- Aromatherapy: I bred this onto Chansey with a Roselia. I can't think of many reasons not to use this.

- Sing: Putting enemies to sleep would be useful, but it has unreliable accuracy. If she can survive long enough, then using it multiple times wouldn't be such a problem.

- Healing Wish: Could be good if I desperately need another one of my members at full health for the Pokémon I am facing, but I'd be more willing to use this if it revived fainted Pokémon.

- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt: One or both of these, as it would give Blissey good coverage that Garchomp and Lucario don't have. Using both would give her more opportunities to be sent out.

- Charge Beam: My Chansey has Serene Grace. I was irritated at first, but it means Charge Beam will always raise her SpAtk. Could be extremely handy!

- Calm Mind: Boosts both special stats unlike the above, but it doesn't dish out damage. It would buff her up, but it would also give the foe more chances to attack.

I wish Chansey had Seismic Toss available to her in Gen4. And should I max out her SpAtk EVs or should I just do the obvious HP/SpDef route.

Welp, I'm not a battle expert. :(

However, apparently I am a collecting expert.

I'm currently at 631/646 caught, so the last 15. Unfortunately these last 15 are all Pokémon either obtained through Happiness or very high levelling requirements (this is the first gen to go over Lv55 as an evolution requirement - the new record is Lv64 X_x ) so I'm now in the middle of the tedious-yet-fruitful powergrinding process.

EDIT:

646/646

I have once again achieved the impossible. Screenshots can be provided if ye thinks I'm trolling. :P

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just thought I'd point out that while in the Battle Frontier I'd recommend a Calm nature as stated above, Bold natures are not as bad on Bliss as some seem to think.

A physical STAB on Blissey does not mean instant death. She can take a couple of STAB stone edges from a T-tar (while choosing to status and switch, wish/protect stall, or use counter (lol)) if she runs Bold and max defense. Blissey's not going to be KOed by anything special anytime soon even without investment in Special Defense.

The best Blissey EV spread imo is one that dumps everything into HP and defense.

Also,

646/646

I have once again achieved the impossible. Screenshots can be provided if ye thinks I'm trolling. :P

Edited by Zekrom

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of Calm vs. Bold on various Pokémon sites. Since the Pokémon I am training are only for the Battle Frontier, I'm not thinking terribly hard about this anyway. If I got into competitive battling I probably would have tried to work with a Bold one.

Anyway, I'm more or less finished with Blissey. Just got to get her to level 50 and see whether my work's paid off. And then it's back to normal Pokémon playing and not caring about any of this fucking shit again! (I'm lying, I'm starting to care more about natures.)

THE GAME WAS OUT FOR LESS THAN A MONTH HOW'D YOU- (oh wait Pal Park).

Pal Park, Pokétransfer, Gen 5 is apparently the easiest gen ever to clear, it all adds up.

Technically as a sizeable portion of my Pokémon originate from Gen 3 carts as far as I'm concerned my Pokédex took eight years to complete properly. In that context it's much slower. :P

I caught a shiny female Roselia in Platinum just now, whoo.

This makes my third caught shiny Pokémon (Stantler and Tangela in SoulSilver, a Zubat in a ROM of Emerald if you want to count that), and the first one I don't think is stupid as hell.