Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

The coma theory is a theory that suggests the lightning bolt that hit Ash at the end of the first episode put him into a coma. After the first few episodes each episode gets progressively more tame as Ash's mind enters a more vegetative state, a fantasy world where everything goes nicely for him, yet he still can't become a Pokémon master.

That and every character he meets represents a part of his suppressed sexuality or psyche.

Yeah, it's nuts.

And when the series end without a proper ending... the life support machine has been switched off? It almost makes the anime interesting.

The new Nurse Joy I can live with. She's got some charm.

The new Officer Jenny though? Ugh. And to think, she would've been fine if her hair was just a bit longer.

The coma theory is a theory that suggests the lightning bolt that hit Ash at the end of the first episode put him into a coma. After the first few episodes each episode gets progressively more tame as Ash's mind enters a more vegetative state, a fantasy world where everything goes nicely for him, yet he still can't become a Pokémon master.

That and every character he meets represents a part of his suppressed sexuality or psyche.

Yeah, it's nuts.

That would have actually been pretty cool, of course it's now FAR TOO LATE for them to do anything significant with the anime lmao.

I hope no one actually believes that O_O

Well hey, it's sure more interesting than DURR I MUST BECOME POKEYMANS MASTER BUT CAN'T WITH WHAT MUST BE A LEVEL 100 PIKACHU BY NOW :P

The coma theory is a theory that suggests the lightning bolt that hit Ash at the end of the first episode put him into a coma.

He was hit by a lightning bolt? When did this happen?

I can't remember the source, but I remember reading somewhere years ago that in the original Japanese Pokemon anime, Ash is/was actually around 14 or so at the start of the series, and that 4kids goofed and made him 10, probably thinking young kids could better relate to a 10 year old, but yeah, don't quote me on this.

Something like this would explain May's bewbs though...the being 14 thing.

Unrelated:

So then I said, “Why can’t you just ditch Brock, have Ash, have Misty, and then bring in a new boy? That would be switching up things instead of having a new girl.” His following answers made me laugh my head off I had to pick it up off the floor and reattach it. He stated that they like to switch up the girls because it gives the boys some new eye candy every once in a while. He also said girls are more customizable and you can change their outfits, like when they are in their bathing suits (yes, he specifically said that). He also said Ken Sugimori designs a new girl with each generation and that gives them another excuse to switch the girl, though I reminded him that there is also a new boy with each generation too, and it wouldn’t hurt to use them.

It's from an interview from Pokebeach in 2008 but I found it funny. The more you know. (I hope this wasn't already known.)

http://pokebeach.com/2008/07/second-pokemon-interview-with-masamitsu-hidaka-many-interesting-points

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm more surprised that the girls are apparently fan service. Maybe if they were older it wouldn't be weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm more surprised that the girls are apparently fan service. Maybe if they were older it wouldn't be weird.

Yeah I find it extremely odd that they like using new girls for FAN SERVICE, when they're supposed to be 10 or younger.

Honestly I think the real reason is "we're extremely retarded"

Also even though I don't care about the anime anymore, the fact that Ash will never travel with Misty again gets a "thank Arceus" from me.

Christ she annoys the hell out of me.

That could explain Dawns way-too-short-skirt and Mays chest-is-too-big-for-a-10 year old-thing.

Edited by Torcano

I liked Misty the most. With her we didn't have to watch the stupid contests...

That's the game's fault for introducing them.

You may not know this yet but since the Gen3 anime started Misty has indeed become a contest whore herself.

If Misty was still around she'd only be 10 times more annoying than usual because of contests.

I liked Misty with her being the stereotypical fiery redhead and being a tomboy. I also liked May too if only because I liked her design.

I watch it once in a while, but I haven't in almost a year. I stopped watching regularly after the Orange Islands when I moved to Germany and didn't understand it.

It's been such a long time since I saw the OG anime that I don't even remember what Misty was like. Annoying was one I assume?

Eh anyways I just want Best Wishes to be good. It will give me a reason to watch the anime again.

Edited by Torcano

I liked Misty with her being the stereotypical fiery redhead and being a tomboy. I also liked May too if only because I liked her design.

Yeah I like May for her design (I prefer Misty's game design...), but I never saw much of May in the anime.

There are tsundere hotheads I find adorable and there are tsundere hotheads I find incredibly whiny and annoying.

Misty is the latter for me.

So who here still watches the anime.

Noone hopefully

Why watch the anime when you can read Pokemon Special? It actually has a very good plot for a children's manga, doesn't stick to a single protag, and is just all around better in my book. But eh, the anime just bores me nowadays, and it irks me how Ash always loses Leagues.

I'm more surprised that the girls are apparently fan service.

Yeah I find it extremely odd that they like using new girls for FAN SERVICE, when they're supposed to be 10 or younger.

You DO realize these are the Japanese we're talking about here?

Except that the target audience for the anime is the 10 and younger crowd, possibly pushing it as high as 13 - and people tend to be most interested in someone around their own age. It's just that Western culture avoids discussing pre-teen puppy love these days due to a certain paranoia that's sprung up in the last decade. ;P

That and the 10-year-old thing is a translation screw-up from the first episodes that's stuck in most peoples' minds as far as I know. Unless the anime pulls an alternate continuity out of its ass, the main characters are all between 10 and 16. Here's an example of the most frequently mentioned reality-defying character. (Nevermind that I actually knew girls back when I was in Year 7 - age 11/12 - that were my age and at least that heavily developed already. I think that chick has two kids already now. It's merely improbable, not impossible.)