Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

Wasn't that a thing before for like, all of 2 issues?

Yeah, I remember those 2 issues back in the Generation 1 days. They were freebies at WH Smith if I recall correctly. ONM used to occasionally do Pokémon specials, too.

Naw, ONM did an Official Pokémon Magazine alongside them even a few years ago, it lasted like 2 or 3 issues. Wouldn't be surprised if this goes the same way.

GAME stores to distribute Mythical Pokémon Meloetta
http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2013/02/26/game-stores-to-distribute-mythical-pokemon-meloetta/

Looks like ONM is behind this new magazine, too. It's going to cost £3.99.

We're launching the Official Pokemon Magazine next month, subscribe now for £5!
First issue comes with four free Pokemon gifts
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/47208/were-launching-the-official-pokemon-magazine-next-month-subscribe-now-for-pound5/

image_52791.jpg

Naw, ONM did an Official Pokémon Magazine alongside them even a few years ago, it lasted like 2 or 3 issues. Wouldn't be surprised if this goes the same way.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I did have 2 issues of a free official magazine Nintendo did to promote the first games, though. I still have a Poliwhirl poster from it lying around the flat.

24zaywy.jpg

This is an odd mix of elation and despair that I'm feeling right now, lol.

Edited by Gregor

Ohhhh I remember the Pokemon World magazines, I quite liked those. I'm definitely getting this mag when it comes out. :3

Btw, I'm wondering if anyone has a strategy on how to catch Metang in Pokemon White. I've bumped into it twice and every single time all my Pokéballs have been used on it to no avail. I can never seem to catch him, even when he's on really low health!

Metang has an absurdly low catch rate of just 3, which is the same as most legendaries (and think the Beldum family is the only non-legendary line with a rate that low). You'll just have to false swipe and freeze it/put it to sleep and hope for the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

24zaywy.jpg

This is an odd mix of elation and despair that I'm feeling right now, lol.

What? Is that a shiny? I can't tell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forgot to provide context, lol.

It's a Hidden Grotto Poliwhirl, and there's a measly 1% encounter rate for it. It comes with its hidden ability, Swift Swim, but more importantly, when it evolves to Politoed, that ability changes to Drizzle, which was originally exclusive to Kyogre. Drizzletoed completely defines the Generation V metagame alongside Sand Stream Tyranitar and Drought Ninetales, so finding this was fantastic.

Sadly, the Poliwhirl's male. Male Pokemon cannot pass on hidden abilities, only the females can. So if I want to get another Drizzletoed, if only for another Drizzletoed set, or for trading purposes, I would have to rely on that 1% encounter rate once again, and then hope for the gender roulette to make Poliwhirl female.

• Thumbs Up 1

Curse you Meloetta... Keldeo gave me enough hell last time, what with having to find a GAME that was still around, had it AND was able to give it away...

Drizzletoed completely defines the Generation V metagame alongside Sand Stream Tyranitar and Drought Ninetales, so finding this was fantastic.

I'm still kinda shocked that Drizzle and Drought got spread around to a few other pokemon. I just think its a little overpowered. Those abilities are just crazy. You can build quite the wrecking crew behind a ninetails or politoad.

Drought going to Ninetales makes some sense. Multiple Pokedex entries note that Ninetales was born out of 9 saints merging into one, and reference its ability to lay millennium-long curses. Giving it the ability to "curse" the lands with the "sacred" power of perpetual sun is the next step.

Why Drizzle went to Politoed is a mystery, though. It doesn't have any connection to special powers like Ninetales does.

What would have been really cool was if Slowpoke got Drizzle. It would have made an awesome reference to the legend that Azalea Town's drought 400 years ago ended thanks to a Slowpoke yawning. 

Edited by Gregor
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm still kinda shocked that Drizzle and Drought got spread around to a few other pokemon. I just think its a little overpowered. Those abilities are just crazy. You can build quite the wrecking crew behind a ninetails or politoad.

There's a reason Smogon calls the Metagame the "Weather Channel" nowadays. Seriously, it's so bad that Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned on their sit.

Why Drizzle went to Politoed is a mystery, though. It doesn't have any connection to special powers like Ninetales does.

Frog_zps2ce53d8a.png

Hmmm...

Maybe its a trend.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET
  • Thumbs Up 7

Drought going to Ninetales makes some sense. Multiple Pokedex entries note that Ninetales was born out of 9 saints merging into one, and reference its ability to lay millennium-long curses. Giving it the ability to "curse" the lands with the "sacred" power of perpetual sun is the next step.

I get that, it does make thematic sense. (However if we are dealing with thematic fits, then where is the love for volcarona?)

its the overpowered nature of the ability that I am concerned about. Kyogre and Groudon's abilities were blatantly OP, and handing them out to more pokemon flips the metagame on its head. Its crazy. 

Time for another bump tongue.png

Are the PokePark titles for Wii any good? Mostly the sequel, I kinda want to give it a try in the hopes of finding another Mystery Dungeon-like story that's surprisingly dark. Do those games have any of that stuff there?

Are the PokePark titles for Wii any good? Mostly the sequel, I kinda want to give it a try in the hopes of finding another Mystery Dungeon-like story that's surprisingly dark. Do those games have any of that stuff there?

In short they are fun but simple, easy, and it feels a bit way too kid friendly.

The storylines aren't very dark and are rather generic. But as a pokemon action game it plays fine. Just be prepared not to play as your favorite pokemon most of the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got the first one some years ago and my parents wouldn't stop asking me why did I still liked baby games.

It's your tipical kiddy mini-game collection that lasts 1 minute each event.

I don't recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am bored, I will post my team that I used to beat the E4 of Platinum:

platinumlist1.jpg

For the record, I deleted my save data afterwards to start over fresh, so this is the last record of the team.

OK, so you might know that the UK Official Nintendo Magazine has recently released a Pokémon spinoff. After reading the first issue, I have to say...

...my mum paid £3.99 for THIS shit?!

When I began reading it, I was under the impression that this was going to be a Pokémon-centric version of the main magazine, and (just like the main mag) focused more on teenagers/adults. When I finished, I learnt that £3.99 had gone towards 30 pages of dissapointment.

Aside from the mag being 1/5 of an average ONM issue's length, it just wasn't entertaining. The bulk of it was just a synopsis of a single episode, padded out by scattering the text everywhere, increasing the font size and pasting pictures about the place. I know that it can be hard to make a big magazine focused on only Pokémon, but surely they could've put in things like a hints page, a letters page, cartoons done for the mag, reviews of episodes/movies/past games etc.

And despite the main mag being teenage friendly, this was VERY much a kid's mag. Even then, Pocket World, an unofficial kid's magazine that isn't even solely focused on Pokémon anymore was more entertaining than this. Not to mention the easy and not-challenging-at-all puzzles...

If any other people here bought it and read it, what did you think of it?

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Last night I did some Funfest missions to finally unlock the Hidden Grotto Pokemon. I caught a fair few, mostly Stunky, Watchog and Bagon. Is there any particular Pokemon I should watch out for, and what nature is ideal for them?

Just got meloetta today.

I don't know why but I really like her, I think its the only legendary I like to use.

And the relic song its awesome, even though I like the anime version more.

Edited by redhellc

• 1 month later...

Cause Deoyxs is way too broken one way or another.

You may as well give it out so it doesn't get even stronger with EVs.

You can still EV train at lvl 100.