Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

The classics were always improving upon the formula of their respective predecessors. Such examples include Sonic 2's longer and more complex levels and Sonic 3's gameplay differences between characters. S&K took it a step further by making alternate game routes depending on who you chose, which already was existent in S3 since Tails could fly, but much more profound with Knuckles's introduction.

This game should continue the direction S3&K was heading without using drastic influences from the newer games, which took a completely different direction starting with Sonic Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 3

I swear, if its not released on all consoles, I'll be pissed. They can make the graphics HD on the 360/PS3 and the Wii can get Genesis like graphics.

• Bad Quality Post 1

This game should continue the direction S3&K was heading without using drastic influences from the newer games, which took a completely different direction starting with Sonic Adventure.

The only games that come close to improving the formula of the Classics would be the Advances, though there are those who don't consider them that akin to each other.

I swear, if its not released on all consoles, I'll be pissed. They can make the graphics HD on the 360/PS3 and the Wii can get Genesis like graphics.

The Wii version doesn't need such a drastic downgrade as it has several high quality 2D games that still look amazing on a HD screen even without 720p+ output.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Well, if the HD graphics are just like the rerelases on the 360, then im fine, but if its like Unleashed, I won't like it as much. Megaman 9 was an 8-bit game to appeal to the old-school fans(or people who like hard games and old school graphics....like me) so if PN is a 3D like apperance, no, just no. Also, I don't hate the graphics on Unleashed, but if they want to appeal to the old-school fans, they'll have to make it like Megaman 9.

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3

And no.. I'm not yelling at you... the topic just leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Hmmmm what kindof RPG elements were you thinking of? Upgradeable moves? different devices for the characters to wear? If tacked on right... that'll be AWESOME. =D

Both, but more of the latter part. Basicly Sonic adventure, but you actually lvl up the equipment. Instead of having a allot of devices at once you can change around with the devices you have in your possession.

I don't know if your shooting down the formula used for Sonic adventure or not, but that formula was actually better then the S3&K. Going into the 3D world for the first was something different, so they wanted to use a different formula. The formula they used for Sonic adventure was just right. The problem is that they kept trying for something new. After Sonic adventure they tried the Sonic heroes formula, which was real nice actually, but they didn't really expound on the game. After Sonic heroes though, they went downhill. In all honesty now they should try something new or go back to Sonic adventure, or heroes, formula.

My post was a little confusing because I kept mentioning Sonic 1, but this. This is what I was trying to say.

My post was a little confusing because I kept mentioning Sonic 1, but this. This is what I was trying to say.

But isn't this what the Advance games and sonic Rush did already? So what we really need if advancing the progress is something that more advance than sonic rush? I think someone actually beat me to this thought also...... damn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lamont Raccoon? Hey, good to see you on here again.

I'm hoping more info shows up sooner than later, honestly. Can you imagine how many more arguments will start because of such footage? I just hope this isn't 16-bit, that would make me a little sour, to be honest.

A PC download release would be lovely though... since it's the only "gaming system" I own now.

I just hope this isn't 16-bit, that would make me a little sour, to be honest.

The interview on GS says it's HD. You needn't worry about that. =)

I can agree with that, tho we still have the Advances that manage to do just that. A lot of annoying pits in some parts tho...

The interview on GS says it's HD. You needn't worry about that. =)

It could be high-definition and still have pixelated graphics... isn't Megaman 9 considered HD? I could be wrong.

Although... sprites with 3Dish effects and advanced parallax scrolling would be awesome. Kinda like how Sonic CD enhanced the 16-bit games in terms of music, this could do the same in terms of graphics.

Or it could look like this...

sonic-hd-fan-art-by-orioto.jpg

Edited by Indigo Dude

It could be high-definition and still have pixelated graphics... isn't Megaman 9 considered HD? I could be wrong.

It's on HD systems, but it ain't HD.

That image needs some fixing before it's game worthy. The layer(s) closest too the screen are big, blurry and get in the way. They shouldn't be there (or be toned down and uncommon). Then there needs to be less blurring effects and shine. And a style needs to be chosen. The BG, Sonic and flower look painted but the grass and earth look photorealistic.

The Sonic Advance/Rush series, as shitty as they were, weren't even a proper continuation of the Genesis games' progression in the least. Advance 1 was a boring Sonic 2, but everything else was just its completely own thing.

The last thing Sega should be doing is taking influence from Advance/Rush. These games weren't what we would have got had the Sonic games continued on the Genesis (and hypothetically maintained their rate of improvement all at once). And besides, except for SRA they were all complete shit.

• Bad Quality Post 2

I can't exactly agree with you there, Jake.

Now while the Rush had more of a focus on the speed, the Advances were as close to the classics than any other game at least in terms of the gameplay. While, I wouldn't say they're a continuation of the Classics if we're talking about evolving the gameplay, the do show some good potential.

If Advance 1 is what you would call a boring Sonic 2, it makes me wonder how they could up the gameplay for this game without turning into something else. We'd probably be at a road block in that concern.

The quality part is a mixed bag for me, they had their on and off moments.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The Sonic Advance/Rush series, as shitty as they were, weren't even a proper continuation of the Genesis games' progression in the least. Advance 1 was a boring Sonic 2, but everything else was just its completely own thing.

The last thing Sega should be doing is taking influence from Advance/Rush. These games weren't what we would have got had the Sonic games continued on the Genesis (and hypothetically maintained their rate of improvement all at once). And besides, except for SRA they were all complete shit.

No ... most likely because it's what we got.. would be sonic adventure. But in 2d IF 3D gaming never took off. That brings a question to mind.... hmmmmmmmm * does the running man*

• Thumbs Up 1

I think people mistakenly take the Advance and Rush series as classic style because they're 2D. The Advances only half do it for me though. I feel like the first Advance tried to be like the originals, but there were too many things holding it back. Level design was plain in most cases, and just awkward (Egg Rocket) in others. The bosses were disappointing like they had a hard time coming up with ideas here. They were harder in this game however, which I don't mind at all. Springs in the game were very particular about where you touched them before they worked, which is frustrating. Overall, it had too much of a portable feel to it compared to the classics. It felt like a smaller Sonic game, not just in size but in quality. I'd say it compares more to the 8-bit Game Gear titles than the Genesis ones. Ha ha ha, I actually see a lot of Sonic Chaos in the first Advance game. Pretty average stuff if you ask me.

The other Advance titles tried new things, which is alright by me, but they suffered from similar quality issues. I actually came to appreciate Advance 2 since I first played it a few years ago, since I see how they turned a game like that into the Rush series. I like those games, and Rush might be the closest thing we have to classic quality, but it's not classic style just because it's 2D. I guess it's like how some people like to think of Sonic Heroes as SA3. It makes sense to think that, but it's not really the same formula as the other games. 2D does not equal classic.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

Eugh. That thing keeps showing up...am I the only one that thinks it's terrible?

I mean, most of it's okay as just artwork, but I'd hate to see an actual Sonic game that looks like that.

Also I've got to ask, just what is it that people expect a "proper" continuation of classic Sonic to actually do, besides just being a rehash of the genesis Sonic gameplay?

• Thumbs Up 2

I think people mistakenly take the Advance and Rush series as classic style because they're 2D.

No, it's because the Advances play in a similar style to the Classics. There's a few moves and different levels, but for the most part while they do have a different feel to them there are some similar themes and movesets from the first 3 Sonic games.

The bosses were disappointing like they had a hard time coming up with ideas here.

I don't see how that's the case. The same could be argued for a lot of the Classic bosses.

I'd say it compares more to the 8-bit Game Gear titles than the Genesis ones. Ha ha ha, I actually see a lot of Sonic Chaos in the first Advance game. Pretty average stuff if you ask me.

Eh, the 8-bit Game Gear titles were downright unplayable. I wouldn't compare the Advance series to the Game Gears.

2D does not equal classic.

No one said that...

Eh, the 8-bit Game Gear titles were downright unplayable. I wouldn't compare the Advance series to the Game Gears.

I managed to get some fun out them, especially Sonic 2 for being so damn hard. But they were very limited by their handheld format, and I feel the same way about the Advances. I guess I see a lot of the same questionable level and gimmick design in the 8-bit series as I do the GBA. The Rush series is the first portable I feel is a "full" Sonic.

No one said that...

Yeah, but the "only 2D" people do. People who're worried the series will regress backwards to 1991 and get stuck in the past also show some of that attitude. IMO, just 2D is not classic, and classic can even be brought into 3D.

Advance 1 plays similar to the classics. Past that, they have more in common with something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CCmt8Q_ASIthan Sonic.

Sonic Advance 2 and the Rushes are the only ones I can match that to because of the emphasis on speed and it's similar tricking.

Sonic Advance 3, however, downgrades the emphasis on speed and emphasizes on the buddy system. Unlike SAdv2 where you could go instantly into boost mode by stepping on a boost pad, SAdv3 makes it much harder and has more platforming elements to it than the second one. It's more like Sonic Advance combined with a bit of Heroes.

Yeah, but the "only 2D" people do. People who're worried the series will regress backwards to 1991 and get stuck in the past also show some of that attitude.

Oh, them. Don't worry about them, they're a little jealous that they're not being the target for this game. No where did the folks at Sega say that they were going to do any of that, and somehow they think their worst fear has come to light.

I'll admit I have my worries over the reactions of the "only 2D" people, but I'm not worried that this game will regress things backwards.

Something I'd like to point out

Regarding that video with SEGA France the guy said sales of classic Sonic games are high on XBLA and PSN. There is no classic Sonic games on PSN far as I know. Pretty sure he just gave away the platforms for Project Needlemouse because he was thinking classic Sonic games were sold on both platforms.

Not to mention, I'm sure classic Sonic games have high sales on the Wii too, but he didn't mention the Wii

PSN and XBLA confirmed as the platforms far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Oh, them. Don't worry about them, they're a little jealous that they're not being the target for this game. No where did the folks at Sega say that they were going to do any of that, and somehow they think their worst fear has come to light.

Glad to see you have target audiance info from a teaser trailer. :P

Sonic Advance 3, however, downgrades the emphasis on speed and emphasizes on the buddy system. Unlike SAdv2 where you could go instantly into boost mode by stepping on a boost pad, SAdv3 makes it much harder and has more platforming elements to it than the second one. It's more like Sonic Advance combined with a bit of Heroes.

And the worst stage design in years.

God, please let there be nothing like THAT again.

and @ Shadi: Doubt it'll be PSN/XBLA but PS3 and 360 are a given I think.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Eugh. That thing keeps showing up...am I the only one that thinks it's terrible?

I mean, most of it's okay as just artwork, but I'd hate to see an actual Sonic game that looks like that.

Also I've got to ask, just what is it that people expect a "proper" continuation of classic Sonic to actually do, besides just being a rehash of the genesis Sonic gameplay?

I think its terrible, too..Sonic looks really weird and the style is in all, just ugly...

As for what I'd like, I think something like Four Swords Adventure would be cool. With 16-Bit like graphics, but a whole bunch of special effects with GC technology.

BTW, was Mega Man 9 made with NES technology or would they have been able to use special effects like in FSA? I mean with the same engine they used on the game.