Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Modern-ish character designs seem to be staying, which is fine by me. Great, actually. This actually looks... good.

There were only about five seconds of it, but it seems promising. Also, hooray for a Wii version!

Looks nice and I'm relieved that there'll be a Wii version after all.

And it looks like TSSZ was right about it being episodic after all.

I like the NSMB/Rush graphical approach. 2D landscapes with 3D character models.

Summer can't come soon enough.

To be perfectly honest, the running animation looks horrid.

I agree. But it's mainly an aestitic issue. It's still a work in progress, so I'm hopefull that we'll see a better running animation as we draw closer to the game's actual release.

So, if it's going to be a downloadable game, will PC users get the chance to play it? I want to play this so bad, it looks AMAZING, but I don't have any of the current gen consoles as I'm a PC gamer.... :(

The website simply says

Playstation Network

Xbox Live Arcade

WiiWare

and ???

So there's still a chance it will come to PC.

That shoots any mainstream claims out of the water. Turns out almost all the rumors were true and this game is its own series. (now to speculate how much this will tie into the other series if at all... it is technically a continuation).

Its the best of both worlds. People looking for the classic feel of Sonic will get this, with continued episodic content and the 3D realm can rest assured that the game in 2011 (or the series at large) won't be affected by the Sonic 4 production(s). Fun little trailer, and it hits what it was aiming for, which is that classic fell. I am happy with it, and it will be here pretty soon.

The only gripe I have is the trot. Sonic better get some rotation in those legs at top speed.

So, we're basically looking at Sonic rush without the boost (Corkscrew leading into a loop, it's Sonic Rush), and it's another 2D game that includes the homing attack for some mystifying reason.

Yes! I do wish that there was a bit more footage, but I'm glad we finally got some! :D

Also glad to see that they're using 3D graphics and sticking with the newer chacater designs. That way this will hopefully feel like good old school gameplay with new stuff added (like how NSMBWii felt). Also glad about this:

GS: Is this where the Sonic franchise is moving, or can we still expect to see console and portable titles?

KB: Sonic as a brand is definitely not moving away from our packaged console versions. Making Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I for download is just a new way to offer a great Sonic experience through a different medium.

Nice to see that the series won't be going through a major reset and there will still be console (probably 3D) games.

...And now I'm off to get some sleep...

The website simply says

Playstation Network

Xbox Live Arcade

WiiWare

and ???

Yeah, I noticed that. I prey the ??? equals some kind of PC download. Please Sega, don't forsake we PC gamers!

Edited by JD!

I like how Gamespot are nicely given this exclusive by SEGA and STILL it's not on their front page, I had to dig in their forums and get a link to their article and the trailers. Poor show Gamespot, you never fail to fail.

Yeah, I was wondering what the "?" was at the end...

I hope it's coming to PC. :)

And I have to admit, the game does look fun but a little strange...

That shoots any mainstream claims out of the water. Turns out almost all the rumors were true and this game is its own series. (now to speculate how much this will tie into the other series if at all... it is technically a continuation).

Calling it Sonic 4 is pretty mainstream.

Official Website Up

http://www.sega.com/sonic4/us/index.html

I like the timers on the subsections.

Also Summer 2010 release date confirmed.

Also I really am hoping that second character slot on the website stands for Robotnik.

Edited by Dusk the Fragile Keeper

Eggman's back in his pod, YAY!! Now hopefully he won't get demoted by some stupid ass monster.

Here's the GS Q&A just in case some folks can't see it.

The announcement of a new Sonic the Hedgehog game is always news, but with the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, the folks at Sega are taking a novel approach by marrying old-school Sonic gameplay and new-school delivery. Sonic 4 will be a 2D game with 3D visuals for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii and will be distributed as a downloadable game upon its release this summer. To learn more about what to expect from the game, we spoke with Sega associate brand manager Ken Balough.

GameSpot: Why did you choose to go with a title like Sonic 4? Does this mean this is a direct sequel to the Genesis games?

Ken Balough: I think one aspect to keep in mind is this game is truly a labor of love. A lot of us grew up on the Sega Genesis console; in fact, I remember vividly the first day I got mine with Revenge of Shinobi and Moonwalker. Ever since Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 has been a game classic Sega fans have always wanted to see. It was the right people, at the right time, getting together and finally making this game we've all wanted to see.

While the game is a brand-new adventure, it will definitely pick up after Sonic & Knuckles. However, what you are looking at is the beginning of a new story arc.

GS: The subtitle is Episode 1. Does this mean it's episodic content?

KB: As mentioned, I think the best way to view it is as a first part in a much larger adventure. When Sega released Sonic 3, ultimately it was the part 1 of a story that saw its conclusion in Sonic & Knuckles. In that same spirit, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is a bigger story, and this is that first chapter. I think it's also safe to say that by the end of the episode one, fans will be very excited to see what's in store for episode two!

GS: Why did you decide to make this a downloadable title?

KB: In recent years, we've seen a huge surge of classic game properties making a return in this arena. [Downloadable] games offer players a chance to play terrific games without breaking the bank. It's also a promise to Sonic fans. We're going to deliver a Genesis-era Sonic game as if it were created today that goes to the core of what classic Sonic fans desire. This means [the fan] gets to judge us on our work each step of the way, and we plan on delivering that goal in a big way.

GS: In terms of graphics, the game appears to use 3D graphics. Why take that route instead of an HD makeover or a more traditional approach like Capcom's recent Mega Man games?

KB: One of our goals was to make a gorgeous-looking 2D Sonic game. This approach allows fans new and old to see what a 2D Genesis-style game would look like today with modern graphics.

GS: As far as gameplay goes, should we expect classic old-school Sonic 2D mechanics or something new added into the mix?

KB: All the Sonic favorites [are] here for sure! Spin dash, power sneakers, etc. But you will also see the homing attack added, and in true Sonic fashion, you can compete with your friends for the fastest level times through leaderboards.

GS: What can we expect from the music? Will it sound like the old Sonic games?

KB: It will sound like an evolution from the original series. Expect to hear very familiar tempos and styles of music that resonates with 16-bit games but also has a modern appeal.

GS: Will there be any differences between the different versions? That is, will the Wii have motion control, or will the PS3 and 360 run at 1080p?

KB: For all intents and purposes, the games are designed to be identical. There are a few differences per what each console can output visually: Wii will be at 480p, while the XBLA and PSN versions will run at 1080p. However, for certain areas of the game, the Wii will be able to use motion control, and the PS3 will be able to use the Sixaxis.

GS: Is this where the Sonic franchise is moving, or can we still expect to see console and portable titles?

KB: Sonic as a brand is definitely not moving away from our packaged console versions. Making Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I for download is just a new way to offer a great Sonic experience through a different medium.

GS: Thanks for your time, Ken.

Straight off Sonic's character description on Sonic4.com:

Our Legendary hero returns! With the Death Egg finally destroyed, and Angel Island back in the sky, Sonic decides it's time to take a break and heads off to explore a new territory on his own. However unbeknownst to Sonic, Eggman has also survived their last encounter, and has begun taking measures to rid himself of our hero. Armed with his signature Speed, super Spin Dash - and powerful Homing Attack, Sonic is ready for an all-new adventure!

Somebody pinch me, this has got to be a dream. Taking the story back to pick up after Sonic 3&K?? Really and for truly??

Completely amazing.

All I have to say is that we're exicted over 2 seconds of gameplay. Kind of sad isn't it. lol

But my only complaint is Sonic's run. It's not as close to the original nor does it seem like he's running too fast. But I'm talking ahead of myself though. XD

The colourful scenery.

The HD Badniks - Motobug looked amazing.

Sonic jumping on a Badniks head.

The fact that it's on Wii. That should keep all fans happy.

Dislikes

It isn't very "classic"

The running animation - where are his spinning legs!? He looks like he's taking a steady jog.

The teaser - did just that, but when you have 48 seconds, you want as much as possible!

I'm not as excited as I was now I've seen it, but I know it'll be a success if it's like the Rush games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Official Website Up

http://www.sega.com/sonic4/us/index.html

I like the timers on the subsections.

Also Summer 2010 release date confirmed.

Yeah until you realize that there's still several days left to count down on the 2 bottom countdowns.

I like to take this time to again reiterate how pissed I am that this is called Sonic 4 in case anyone missed my first post. Everything else looks promising except for the possibility that the physics and controls will be absolutely broken. That is all.

the game will have 7 zones and each episode will probably be like a Sonic game all its own...so im sure we dont have much to worry about content wise.
<-woohoo

not woohoo: awkward running and eggman

Sonic The Hedgehog 4 FTW!

"With the death egg destroyed, and angel island back in the sky. . ." Sequel to Death Egg saga, and the prequel to Sonic Adventure! (Is this the big adventure he was vacationing from?)

Calling it Sonic 4 is pretty mainstream.

Ball-zy but not mainstream. I think the simple fact that it is a DLC title will hold it back. We really don't have a true definition, but one of my personal ones is that I need a box in my hand.....

and not one made out of cardbord that I make for myself to pass the time waiting for this to come out.

The website simply says

Playstation Network

Xbox Live Arcade

WiiWare

and ???

Watch the 4th one revealed to be something else like the PS3 or DS.

Seriously, though I think there's a good chance it'll be PC. I mean, they are releasing Sega all-Stars Racing for the PC so why not this?

Just think of all the modding possibilities...