Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

I would've prefered a hard copy of the game instead of having to download it. I like to touch the disk. :(

I agree.

Also, bonus points for refering to Eggman as Eggman. Robotnik is a shite name anywhos... :P

I disagree. Robotnik invokes a sense of sinister, his names sounds like what he does and sounds threatening. Eggman sounds like a joke, and actually doesn't make much sense. Originally to merge the two, Sonic used it to insult Robotnik...so he adopts it as his real name? That sounds like shite to me. Plus if the whole history of Sonic is to be believed, then Gerald Robotnik is Eggmans granfather therefore Robotnik is his real name, and Eggman can;'t be considered proper.

Not unless they're planning to kill him off in this arc somehow, since this is suppose to take place between S3&K and Sonic Adventure. It wouldn't make too much sense for him to show up in this game and not appear in every other game since then if he does show up.

Then again, they could surprise me.

There isn't much sense in going back and making a game directly following and in the image of the classics either, but they are doing it because the fans want it - and thats a good thing. Nack has many fans, and as long as they're doing classic tributes, why not a little more with the inclusion of Nack? Plus this game has never stated that it directly comes between S3&K and SA, knowing the screwy way Sonic Team view Sonic canon (Example: the whole Blaze deal) this could well be its own continuity having nothing to do with the path SA and following games took.

I agree.

I disagree. Robotnik invokes a sense of sinister, his names sounds like what he does and sounds threatening. Eggman sounds like a joke, and actually doesn't make much sense.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Robotnik sounds like a Russian slang to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I disagree. Robotnik invokes a sense of sinister, his names sounds like what he does and sounds threatening. Eggman sounds like a joke, and actually doesn't make much sense. Originally to merge the two, Sonic used it to insult Robotnik...so he adopts it as his real name? That sounds like shite to me. Plus if the whole history of Sonic is to be believed, then Gerald Robotnik is Eggmans granfather therefore Robotnik is his real name, and Eggman can;'t be considered proper.

I can't believe you actually took that comment seriously. Learn to take a joke, man. B)

I may prefer to use Eggman over Robotnik, but debating about which is more threatening or proper is more of a joke than the name Eggman will ever be. It's like arguing over whether the word stone is a better word than rock, there's no point to it no matter how you look at it.

On top of that, I personally think the name Egg sounds cool on all his other creations, so no harm in the name Eggman being used.

There isn't much sense in going back and making a game directly following and in the image of the classics either, but they are doing it because the fans want it - and thats a good thing. Nack has many fans, and as long as they're doing classic tributes, why not a little more with the inclusion of Nack? Plus this game has never stated that it directly comes between S3&K and SA, knowing the screwy way Sonic Team view Sonic canon (Example: the whole Blaze deal) this could well be its own continuity having nothing to do with the path SA and following games took.

Yes, it says so directly on the website that Sonic 4 is going to continue where Sonic 3 & Knuckles left off after the destruction of the Death Egg. There's absolutely no chance of Nack being in this game unless they would plan to get rid of him in this arc, and I doubt that would even be on their minds at this point.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Also, bonus points for refering to Eggman as Eggman. Robotnik is a shite name anywhos... :P

First off, both names are canon, I like both names and refer to the good doctor as both names. And I have my negative points on them both.

Robotink Hardly sounds sinister, the name and it's "sinisterness " is as threatening as "I can't believe it's not butter"

Eggman is nothing more than a pun on how he looks. And I thought this issue was dead...oh wait...

And @Bandit Keith: Robotnik sounds like Russian slang?

Edited by Jetronic

Now the death egg saga isn't exclusive to good games.

Uh. Yes it is.

This isn't connected to the Death Egg bar "Robotnik Survived, it blew up".

Wow, first Sonic Game I've actually been kind of excited for since Chronicles!

Can I have your job at Sega, where you've clearly played this game and know what you're talking about?

Evidence is evidence, Dread.

The only evidence anyone has is the trailer and the associated official comments.

And that evidence says lame.

Yes, it says so directly on the website that Sonic 4 is going to continue where Sonic 3 & Knuckles left off after the destruction of the Death Egg.

Does it make mention of Sonic Adventure though? Couldn't the 2D and 3D games simply be in different continuities?

Kinda snappy, don'cha think Dread? Did you have your coffee today? :D

Well, you know. There's 'being disappointed' and there's 'being a total tit'.

Evidence is evidence, Dread.

Really? A three second bit of insignificant (on the grand scheme of things) footage? That's your definitive reason to put down this game? I feel sorry for you.

Just to add my two pence here. This is exactly what I was hoping for, and long may it continue. However Sega, should you read this, I would only ask one thing of you - change the damn title screen model for Sonic. It looks awfully generic (as far as the recent games go), and should have a more retro style in keeping with the theme of the game.

Really? That's a shame - I actually quite like it. :)

I would've prefered a hard copy of the game instead of having to download it. I like to touch the disk.

I reckon Sega might offer a hard copy of the game, once all the planned episodes are out. Think of the Sam & Max collection for example, or the WipEout HD collection on PS3 Blu-ray.

I'd rather the name be Robotnik, but I'll be honest; I'm not losing sleep over it. We saw approximately three whole seconds of footage, of Sonic going through a corkscrew twist at not-even high speed. I don't think it's clever to be making broad assumptions of the game's quality based on that alone. The trailer, when going through the years, showed the Sonic 1 sprite at walking speed, so it could well be that there is a runny-runny animation for the chap yet. Which I'd like - that's about my only gripe. I don't want to go at blazing speed and see Sonic look like he's trotting the distance. It'll look weird.

And Jesus Christ, the green eyes and shit. Who cares? Why do you care? Bloody hell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does it make mention of Sonic Adventure though?

Sonic 3 & Knuckles takes place before Sonic Adventure, so I doubt it be too hard to assume that this game is before SA1.

Couldn't the 2D and 3D games simply be in different continuities?

...why in the world would they be when SA1 actually references that of S3&K? What's the point in separating them when they actually have a connection to each other?

First off, both names are canon, I like both names and refer to the good doctor as both names. And I have my negative points on them both.

Robotink Hardly sounds sinister, the name and it's "sinisterness " is as threatening as "I can't believe it's not butter"

Eggman is nothing more than a pun on how he looks. And I thought this issue was dead...oh wait...

And @Bandit Keith: Robotnik sounds like Russian slang?

It does to me at least.

Go ahead. say it in a thick Russian accent. It's fun. :)

I honstley don't care. An Egg by any other name smells just as rotten.

Edited by Bandit Keith

The trailer, when going through the years, showed the Sonic 1 sprite at walking speed, so it could well be that there is a runny-runny animation for the chap yet.

Were we watching the same trailer? He was doing his fastest run animation, the awesomely-named "Wheel o' Feet", the whole way through. Well, after the Sonic 1 bit...

Really? A three second bit of insignificant (on the grand scheme of things) footage? That's your definitive reason to put down this game? I feel sorry for you.

*shrug*

It seems more reasonable to base our estimations of what the game will be like on the actual things we have seen rather than some vague utopian conjecture about "This is only a development snapshot!! Everything will be fixed and awesome in the final version!!"

Because we all know that Sonic Team has an excellent track record of improving their games from what was seen in development.

Yessir.

I can't believe you actually took that comment seriously. Learn to take a joke, man. B)

I may prefer to use Eggman over Robotnik, but debating about which is more threatening or proper is more of a joke than the name Eggman will ever be. It's like arguing over whether the word stone is a better word than rock, there's no point to it no matter how you look at it.

On top of that, I personally think the name Egg sounds cool on all his other creations, so no harm in the name Eggman being used.

Well if they truly are tryiing to incite the classic fan in all of us I'd say Robotnik would be the choice, however it is pretty trivial on the list of things this game needs to be good.

Yes, it says so directly on the website that Sonic 4 is going to continue where Sonic 3 & Knuckles left off after the destruction of the Death Egg. There's absolutely no chance of Nack being in this game unless they would plan to get rid of him in this arc, and I doubt that would even be on their minds at this point.

It doesn't however say that this game takes place before Sonic Adventure, you are just assuming that. Knowing SEGA they'll probably pull some stuff and this will be some diffrent continuity altogether (or more than likely it will seem like that way but they won't actually explain it. Ala: Blaze)

Plus who's saying Nack has been killed off? He certainly hasn't be killed off as far as I know. Did people think the Chaotix were killed off, only for them to make a triumphant return in Sonic Heroes? I wouldn't be making such assumptions. For a game hoping to appeal to the classic crowd, this is probably the greatest chance to see even a lick of Nack return.

And Jesus Christ, the green eyes and shit. Who cares? Why do you care? Bloody hell.

My thoughts exactly. What really gets me is that you probably won't even be able to notice his irises most of the time, unless you're just standing there waiting for Sonic's foot-tapping animation to trigger. How exactly have the people bitching about this survived for the past 12 years as Sonic fans, anyway?

Sonic was propelled up a wall and followed it when it leveled off into the next platform. He then ran through a corckscrew. He almost reached a loop. That's a speed gimmick leading into a speed gimmick leading into a speed gimmick.

I also have reason to belive that Iizuka is the director based on the upcoming gamespot podcast.

And eye color matters because it affects how cute Sonic is.

Edited by Phos

EDIT: Sorry computer was running like shit. Kinda like Sonic's feet in that Sonic 4 trailer *boom boom tish* Therefore I double posted. Delete this if need be.

Hopefully the feet will be fixed come real game time...or data non-physical game time, although it occured to me that perhaps it would be impossible (without making it look crap) to make a 3D model sonic have "wheel" legs?? Is it possible to do without sprites and still make it look decent?

Edited by The-Master-Board

It looks sweet. A new Rocket Knight game, Megaman 10, Sonic 4, Splatterhouse...my childhood is getting a sequell!

• Thumbs Up 2

Were we watching the same trailer? He was doing his fastest run animation, the awesomely-named "Wheel o' Feet", the whole way through. Well, after the Sonic 1 bit...

I said, the Sonic 1 sprite specifically. :P All the other sprites were running full-pelt.

*shrug*

It seems more reasonable to base our estimations of what the game will be like on the actual things we have seen rather than some vague utopian conjecture about "This is only a development snapshot!! Everything will be fixed and awesome in the final version!!"

Because we all know that Sonic Team has an excellent track record of improving their games from what was seen in development.

Who said anything about the game being great when it's finished? Just because I'm not frothing at the mouth over an eye colour doesn't mean I'm in some kind of 'incoming-crappy-game denial'. You're putting words into my mouth.

I'm simply saying, what's the point in getting all depressed over a three-second trailer that shows absolutely nothing of the game except for how it looks? We saw a corkscrew, Sonic's "run"/"walk"/whatever animation, rings, a loop and a backdrop. What you're suddenly getting from all of that is an assumption that there'll be no 'spinball physics', it'll be 'an HD Sonic Rush' and all classic gimmicks and elements will be thrown out of the window.

If you can get all of that from what was shown in that trailer, then I'd like you tell me what the winning lottery numbers are for next week, too.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pretty game is pretty.

All we need is an in level Super Sonic.

I know you're reading Sega. If Super Sonic is final boss only, I'm not buying.

Edited by Aquaslash

So... when are they showing us this new Sonic game aimed at the old school fans? You know, the one with the old styled Sonic based on the logo we were shown in the first teaser? This isn't Sonic 4 because Sonic isn't holding up 4 fingers.

Well, you know. There's 'being disappointed' and there's 'being a total tit'.

And which category do I fall under? :lol:

Well if they truly are tryiing to incite the classic fan in all of us I'd say Robotnik would be the choice, however

it is pretty trivial on the list of things this game needs to be good.

I seriously couldn't care less about the name, son.

It doesn't however say that this game takes place before Sonic Adventure, you are just assuming that. Knowing SEGA they'll probably pull some stuff and this will be some diffrent continuity altogether (or more than likely it will seem like that way but they won't actually explain it. Ala: Blaze)

Assuming? I thought it was practically common knowledge that the classic games take place before any of the modern games. If this game picks up directly after S3&K, how can it take place anywhere after SA1? The series canon is not that loose or screwy even with the whole Blaze ordeal.

And I wonder why you assuming that Sega are going to make another continuity after that one instance where they screwed up Blaze. That's not even possible unless they're including other dimensions and time periods like they did when they screwed up with Blaze and Silver.

Plus who's saying Nack has been killed off? He certainly hasn't be killed off as far as I know. Did people think the Chaotix were killed off, only for them to make a triumphant return in Sonic Heroes?

They thought the Chaotix were scrapped until they returned in Heroes. But they were uninvolved in anything except Knuckles Chaotix, and were practically retconed in Heroes as new characters.

I wouldn't be making such assumptions. For a game hoping to appeal to the classic crowd, this is probably the greatest chance to see even a lick of Nack return.

I find it very unlikely that Nack would have a lick of a chance of appearing in this game. I think he has a better chance of appearing in a new 3D game than this one.

And eye color matters because it affects how cute Sonic is.

Even if it actually did mattered how cute Sonic is with it, I prefer a "cool" Sonic over a "cute" one, and the green eyes definitely make him cooler.

But who cares, amirite? B)

Not sure why I see people saying this is 2.5D. Everything they showed looks completely sprite based with parallax scrolling.