Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 minutes ago, dudebro1993 said:

Did I miss something? What villain?

Sorry, I was referring to Mimic there. I'd had a few drinks. Last I checked, Whisper went looking for him.

I suspect Mimic will be the next B-list villain we see once the current Surge arc (no pun intended) wraps up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully Ian doesn’t kill off these villains, at least not after several years.

I’m not upset he killed off Starline (although when has that really stopped any character from coming back, even outside of Sonic?), but we could use more villains we can get a long mileage out of outside of Eggman and his forces, the Skunk Brothers, Clutch, and the D6 compared to the protagonist factions.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Sorry, I was referring to Mimic there. I'd had a few drinks. Last I checked, Whisper went looking for him.

I suspect Mimic will be the next B-list villain we see once the current Surge arc (no pun intended) wraps up.

Thanks for clearing it up 

• Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Some fanart by JoeAdok of a popular scene in #50

df8cbmf-0ec0f2e7-174b-40a1-8679-ae0fe8b2

Looks like he is riding Eggman's newest roller coaster there, called "The Slammer"!

Was not expecting Mecha Knuckles of all characters coming back. Talk about pushing the obscure - exciting!

EDIT: Missed that Witchcart was the villain (or a villain?) for the Tails special. Neat that we'll get a bit more of canon personality for her and her minions this time. That's exciting too.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh boy, the Tails special will feature a returning classic villain related to Tails! I can't wait to see the Battlebird Armada ag--

...Oh. It's Wendy Witchcart. Joy.

Scrapnik Island sounds like an interesting idea for a mini-series, though honestly I think the comic has met its "horror" quota for a while with the Metal Virus saga.

• Thumbs Up 1

How can their be a quota. Even more so. it was just ONE event. Heck I loved the zombot arc and would like more dire situations like that in the idw series.

Outside that I wonder will they let Mecha Knuckles talk any.

First, let me be extremely petty: Tails, stop hogging the spotlight. Of all Sonic characters you're getting all the love in IDW, arguably more than Sonic himself. And now you're getting your very own special AND you're gonna be in miniseries (judging by the cover at least)? Calm down kiddo.

But snark aside, it's exciting to hear we're getting more swag. Especially since last year's Anniversary special replaced Annual, but this year apparently we're getting both? Now that's awesome!

The idea for Scrapnik Island is neat and it's gonna be rad seeing Mecha Knuckles of all characters return (Hell, Metal Knuckles was already cool when he showed up in the 30th Anni special). The OVA hat is just another great touch.

That said, I sincerely hope they aren't planning to pull the same exact shit they did with Imposter Syndrome and use it as an excuse to completely destroy the main series' pacing again, especially since it looks like Sonic & Tails will be involved here. If you're gonna do this nonsense where you only put out one issue per month and alternate, it completely and utterly defeats the purpose of the miniseries in general.

• Thumbs Up 3

They're bringing back Witchcart. I'm sold already.

I'm genuinely surprised Ian got Sega to okay her. She really feels like the kind of weird old character that they'd say, "This character no longer fits our brand." So I'm really excited to see that she can still be used in official Sonic products.

It's a long-shot, but this could also mean that - for example - a hypothetical Mania sequel might be able to use Witchcart, the Battle Kukkus, etc. At least we know these aren't outright off-limits characters anymore.

• Thumbs Up 5

I love that blasted OVA hat. Dang I'm an easy sell...

Nice to see Tails gobble up attn like a black hole. Give little bro his shine.

• Thumbs Up 4

15 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

They're bringing back Witchcart. I'm sold already.

I'm genuinely surprised Ian got Sega to okay her. She really feels like the kind of weird old character that they'd say, "This character no longer fits our brand." So I'm really excited to see that she can still be used in official Sonic products.

It's a long-shot, but this could also mean that - for example - a hypothetical Mania sequel might be able to use Witchcart, the Battle Kukkus, etc. At least we know these aren't outright off-limits characters anymore.

IT wasn't that long ago he used her in the post-reboot world actually. IT was one of the last story arcs in Archie.

58 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The idea for Scrapnik Island is neat and it's gonna be rad seeing Mecha Knuckles of all characters return (Hell, Metal Knuckles was already cool when he showed up in the 30th Anni special). The OVA hat is just another great touch.

That said, I sincerely hope they aren't planning to pull the same exact shit they did with Imposter Syndrome and use it as an excuse to completely destroy the main series' pacing again, especially since it looks like Sonic & Tails will be involved here. If you're gonna do this nonsense where you only put out one issue per month and alternate, it completely and utterly defeats the purpose of the miniseries in general.

Given its a Halloween based story arc, I think it might be running through the entirety of October. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

IT wasn't that long ago he used her in the post-reboot world actually. IT was one of the last story arcs in Archie.

Well, kind of.

Archie used "Wendy Naugus," a character that was certainly intended to be an analogue for Witchcart, but wasn't exactly her. Her name, appearance, and even species (troll instead of human) were tweaked. It was still really cool! But this is the first time the Witchcart character has fully come back.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Given its a Halloween based story arc, I think it might be running through the entirety of October. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise. 

Not really, plenty of miniseries that are Halloween based start in Halloween but continue on the month schedule. For example, DC VS Vampires started last October and is still going.

At the very least, it should provide some slight protection from delays.

If this miniseries isn't on shelves by Halloween time, then that's a folly likely to cost someone their job.

Sonic is now relegated to side content in his own book.

Unless this is just some story that takes place at another vague time to double the Sonic content.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

First, let me be extremely petty: Tails, stop hogging the spotlight. Of all Sonic characters you're getting all the love in IDW, arguably more than Sonic himself. And now you're getting your very own special AND you're gonna be in miniseries (judging by the cover at least)? Calm down kiddo.

But snark aside, it's exciting to hear we're getting more swag. Especially since last year's Anniversary special replaced Annual, but this year apparently we're getting both? Now that's awesome!

How is Tails getting more love than the other supporting characters?

• Thumbs Up 5

11 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

How is Tails getting more love than the other supporting characters?

Who cares? My main fox Tails is getting his own special and a big roll in another book, so I'm hyped!

But seriously, it's probably for the anniversary. Knuckles will probably get his own anniversary special too (Possibly Amy as well).

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty interesting stuff. Scrapnik Island sounds fun as a mini-series, and doing another 30th special is a bit more interesting? I'm guessing there is interest in continuing the "Classic" brand of Sonic in IDW, so perhaps that will be an occasionally recurring thing? Tails is easily my favourite character of the main Sonic cast, so I'm pretty happy really. Although again a little disappointed that my dreams of a second monthly series are continually dashed.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's Tails's 30th anniversary. Plus, I mean, yeah, he is one of the main characters of the series. He's the Luigi to Sonic's Mario, of course he's going to get a lot of focus.

• Thumbs Up 4