Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Yeah, it makes perfect sense when you keep in mind that Starline is pretty much just one of those Sonic Youtubers that make videos on how to fix the series.

I still need to catch up on the book actually but I couldn't resist contributing (a lot, I think) to this conversation with that joke. Carry on.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 2

Hello,

I've recently got the book 1 and 2 compilation of the IDW comics, but can someone help me point out where I can find more of the comics. Are they still being printed? where can I read up on the other issues up until the most recent one?

Much appreciated!

3 hours ago, Duelistic Nature said:

Hello,

I've recently got the book 1 and 2 compilation of the IDW comics, but can someone help me point out where I can find more of the comics. Are they still being printed? where can I read up on the other issues up until the most recent one?

Much appreciated!

Digital you can get everything on IDW page

https://www.idwpublishing.com/series/sonic-the-hedgehog-2018-

5 hours ago, Matdrac said:

With the supposed death of Starline, I wondered what secondary villain they would bring next?

Flynn said he doesn't plan new characters for now, so I guess we'll get more of Surge and such.

Then again, Evan is now the main writer, not him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Surge is probably gonna take over as the main antagonistic threat for a while.

Had starline got over his fanboy obsession of Eggman he MAY have put up a better fight. But rather than going into the fight to actually beat him and destroy eggman he was looking at just showing him up and then going see there is a better way to win sir. now lets work together to beat Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Someday there's going to be a throwaway robot villain Sonic destroys, and the pro-murder-Sonic people are going to feel vindicated. 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Flynn said he doesn't plan new characters for now, so I guess we'll get more of Surge and such.

Then again, Evan is now the main writer, not him.

I was referring to a villain with big plans and who is 100% villain, It arises when she discovers her true identity and her past I see her changing sides, the one that I hope they give something of importance as a villain is Clutch the Opossum.

9 hours ago, Razule said:

Someday there's going to be a throwaway robot villain Sonic destroys, and the pro-murder-Sonic people are going to feel vindicated. 

You can't really satisfy anyone these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Matdrac said:

I was referring to a villain with big plans and who is 100% villain, It arises when she discovers her true identity and her past I see her changing sides, the one that I hope they give something of importance as a villain is Clutch the Opossum.

He also said that he wants Surge to stay the villain. That Sonic has far too many reformed rivals already,

• Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 1

That also means she either dies like her creator or eventually becomes a non-threat altogether. 

That's the latter. 

You know, like how Team Rocket is """""a menace"""""" when they show up. 

She can stay as anti-hero and rival when her arc is over. I don't think she will be reformed, or go back to her old persona, she will learn to accept how she is now, her current identity. Hopefully the same for Kit, he will learn to think about what he wants, not what Surge wants.

She'll probably be something like Scourge where she serves as a constant reminder to Sonic about what happens if he lets go of his morals.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

She'll probably be something like Scourge where she serves as a constant reminder to Sonic about what happens if he lets go of his morals.

Not the morals topic again...

Just now, Red Hot Jack said:

Not the morals topic again...

That's just a theory, although I won't mention the "morals" thing again.

38 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

She can stay as anti-hero and rival when her arc is over. I don't think she will be reformed, or go back to her old persona, she will learn to accept how she is now, her current identity. Hopefully the same for Kit, he will learn to think about what he wants, not what Surge wants.

Her being just another rival defeats the purpose of wanting her to stay as a villain though.

I agree with Ian that Sonic has more than enough rivals and friends, and not really a lot of enemies.

• Absolutely 1

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

He also said that he wants Surge to stay the villain. That Sonic has far too many reformed rivals already,

That's actually a good idea.  We have way more good guys than bad guys in this series.  So, it would be nice to have a darker villain in Surge, although Starline was a pretty interesting antagonist himself.

In my head, I could picture Surge undergoing the same negative arc as Metal Sonic; she becomes increasingly more and more desperate to beat Sonic and willing to stoop lower and lower to do it. 

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

In my head, I could picture Surge undergoing the same negative arc as Metal Sonic; she becomes increasingly more and more desperate to beat Sonic and willing to stoop lower and lower to do it. 

I don't know. I would rather have an enjoyable arc that makes sense for her over keeping 1 more card in the rogues gallery for the sake of it. Same thing for Starline. Surge doesn't need death or redemption, but a story that makes sense for her. She doesn't need to appear forever either.

• Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

She doesn't really fit that role, though. Scourge fits that purpose because Scourge is Sonic - it's a dark reminder to Sonic that he does in fact have it in him to become a selfish bully like Scourge if he didn't have his heroic traits and his friends/family to balance himself out. It's where the whole One Bad Day shtick comes from and it's important specifically to Scourge because Scourge stands out in a multiverse of Sonics as 'the bad one'.

He'd rather do everything in his power to define himself than allow himself to be defined as the loser failure Sonic of the multiverse who ended up becoming a villain. It's why he tries to tempt Sonic to join him so often, so he has company, someone that understands where he's coming from, and that he gets the knowledge of knowing any Sonic could go bad. Scourge could be Sonic if he adopted his heroic traits, Sonic become Scourge just as easily if he stopped being heroic and indulged his ego and selfishness.

Surge doesn't really have any of that. She's brash and fast like Sonic, she's got aspects like his ego put up to eleven, but it doesn't have the same oomph of "yeah, sonic really could become this bad" because Surge isn't Sonic. She wouldn't really challenge or remind Sonic that way because Sonic can be content in the knowledge that A. He and Surge are different people, and B. It'll likely come to light at some point or another that Starline caused Surge and Kit to be like this, effectively creating flanderisations of what he perceives Sonic and Tails to be like.

We don't need yet another anti-hero/rival that challenges Sonic on a moral front. Shadow already attempted to be like that earlier in the book and it wore out it's shtick because they aren't really going to combat it in an effective way. The best Sonic's got is what he says in Issue 50, and if they aren't gonna continue to argument further than that, they'd be better off dropping it altogether than constantly bringing it up half-assed. That and as people said, god knows we have enough anti-heroes/rivals/redeemed speedy bad guys.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

I don't know. I would rather have an enjoyable arc that makes sense for her over keeping 1 more card in the rogues gallery for the sake of it. Same thing for Starline. Surge doesn't need death or redemption, but a story that makes sense for her. She doesn't need to appear forever either.

How is making her just another antiheroic rival for Sonic any better than that though? She needs something to standout and separate her from the rest. 

Like I said, Sonic has a million rivals already, some of which are also of the speedy variety. You know what he doesn't have? A lot of actual villains personal to him.