Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

9 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don't really think that's an example of planning in advance though. If it was Starline analysing the base, pointing out the weak spots, where they could dismantle it piece by piece, planning every detail to the exact moment to take over Eggman's most fortified base, then sure - I could maybe buy that, but it isn't - literally all we get is Starline, Surge and Kit going right in, easily dispatching badniks, and then Metal Sonic shows up, with Surge and Kit just acting as a distraction.

Again, it's just insanely easy and rushed - Eggman might be short-sighted, but he isn't a complete moron, I do not buy that the Dr. Eggman we know would be so foolish as to leave such a massive security flaw - especially with known enemies like Tails and Starline - and just let it lie there, for anyone to just exploit and take over his empire in such a stunningly short time. It again just feels like they're trying to hype up Starline at the expense of Eggman's intelligence and competence. The same man who easily tricked Tails into outting their whole scheme in SA2 is now leaving such a huge flaw in his systems that his entire empire can be stolen from him within a flash, it makes absolutely zero sense.

While Starline wanted a quick, and easy takeover, execution IMO should have been different. Literally one of Starline's constant character flaws is he keeps underestimating his enemies. He underestimated Sonic and Silver initially, he underestimated the sheer threat the Deadly Six would pose, he underestimated the intelligence of his hired Bad Guys, he underestimated Surge and Kit's ability and intellect to the degree he literally kept allowing them to stumble onto his plans each and every time for chuckles, and now he's underestimating both Eggman's abilities (He really thought Orbot and Cubot would be enough to capture him), and he's underestimating Sonic.

Surely the better thing to do here would've been Starline's flaw biting him on the ass - he underestimates Eggman one time too many, and Eggman's got a plan already set in motion for his takeover - Eggman either retains part of his empire, or Starline ends up meeting far more resistance in his attack on the Eggnet, which causes the entire thing to sprial into chaos (Which again - is why I thought Issue 50 was supposed to be - an actual literal war between Eggman and Starline's forces, with Sonic and Tails dragged in the middle, not just Starline easily taking command of Eggman's entire empire within minutes).

It just feels unbelievable to me. I know Eggman's got his flaws, and I've been saying the same thing as you for ages about how they should tackle Starline and Eggman's different methodologies, but the way they've handled this just makes absolutely zero sense to me. It just makes Eggman look stupid while glorifying Starline to a ridiculous degree. It's not even particularly a problem with Starline here, if this came after a period of actual fighting, like if we had an arc of Starline and Eggman in battle, and this was like the major turning point before the finale, then yeah - I could see it working and feeling earned, but as it is, it's just extremely rushed, like Ian had to make sure this was in place for Issue 50.

I don’t think it’s a full takeover and just the area

6 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

I don’t think it’s a full takeover and just the area

No, pretty sure it’s the full empire, and that’s why he managed to take control of Orbot and Cubot, despite Eggman not being at the Eggnet base. Also the fact that Starline now says he controls the Starline Empire.

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

No, pretty sure it’s the full empire, and that’s why he managed to take control of Orbot and Cubot, despite Eggman not being at the Eggnet base. Also the fact that Starline now says he controls the Starline Empire.

That’s the name of his faction and I don’t think it was supposed to say it was the full of egg man’s empire

Either way, I'm half expecting Eggman to go like, "Duck, there's more than one base and tower. One big satellite dish can't effectively control an entire empire!" * boop *

• 2 weeks later...

Man! That preview page:

Spoiler

unknown.png

This is a badass entrance from Eggman. I just love it.

Obviously I'm rooting for Eggman to get a solid win over Starline here; I think the Doc's overdue, honestly. But regardless of who wins, I'm hoping he at least gets an awesome fight in the Egg Emperor. This battle's been a long time coming.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Think this was the first time it was officially commented on. 

Ah, that’s fair. 

I wonder why places like Amazon know and communicate it, when IDW don’t officially say so until almost a month later.

On 6/19/2022 at 1:49 PM, Kuzu said:

Think this was the first time it was officially commented on. 

I saw that the release date got changed on the Sonic wiki a couple of days ago

So is Surge going to be the main villain from this point forward instead of Kit?  I do wonder how that would play out if that was the case.

I think Kit's role is going to be more complicated. It sounds like Surge is just going to pure id. No plan, no morals, just sheer utter chaos. Very excited to see Whisper come back. (Assuming the cover is accurate.)

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So is Surge going to be the main villain from this point forward instead of Kit?  I do wonder how that would play out if that was the case.

It seems to be more a case of showing the differences in what they do while separated--Surge is just now returning from whatever Sonic/Starline/Eggman did to get rid of her and going on a rampage to hunt Sonic's friends, while Kit presumably used his appearance to his advantage by allowing Tails/Belle to save him and is now biding his time before making any moves.

• Thumbs Up 1

No mention of Starline post #50 yet. Either he's out of commission or that next Bumblekast Q&A is in hell. 

The Egg Emperor is an inspired choice. Both for the name, and the battle vs Starline's Tri-Core being a direct homage to Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Issue 50 spoilers. Do not open if you don't want to be spoiled as to how the fight goes!

Spoiler

27f0f1748a5bbd24d250e5016fabbfd7af80229d

3ee2e438a5faeaa3ae07ed7e63874e942d850b0b

afe2a6e306a725806852131d57017493b8d0ebbf

Eggman beats Starline down. Incredible fight. Absolutely loved it.

After some fumbles here and there, it's really satisfying to see the Doc get a nice, decisive victory.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 5