Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

55 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Do they usually sell the variant covers separately or do they all come into one comic book?

They're sold separately and shops have to order certain ratios of regular covers to get the "rarer" ones (the "retailer incentive" covers), which they then mark up for more than the cover price. Most comics that have variants will at least have a cover gallery, if not in the issues themselves, then probably in the trades.

Variant covers really just exist to boost shipping numbers.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Apparently, there's a person that goes to my comic book shop and buys every single variant cover of the IDW Sonic Comics when they come in.

I can't remember the last time I was able to get the variant cover of an issue except for maybe Issue 7

Well, most Sonic comics tend to only have 3 variants: Cover A, Cover B, and Cover RI. So probably not too much of a hassle. I imagine this person has a deal with the comic book shop's owner or manager about it, since they know this person will always buy the variants.

Saying that though, despite the fact IDW Sonic only has around 68 unique issues thus far, there is probably over 200 seperate issues to collect when you count reprints, collections, variant covers and the like.

I'm actually lucky enough to own the RI Cover of the 2019 Annual, the one with Blaze and Silver gardening. No idea why Forbidden Planet decided to send me it, I didn't pay extra for it.

31 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

They're sold separately and shops have to order certain ratios of regular covers to get the "rarer" ones (the "retailer incentive" covers), which they then mark up for more than the cover price. Most comics that have variants will at least have a cover gallery, if not in the issues themselves, then probably in the trades.

Variant covers really just exist to boost shipping numbers.

Oh, so that's how it works.

I really don't like or get this trend.
For some it's crazy chase just to get a image they like, but they won't hang it on the wall to look at, comic goes to the box or shelf, with dozens others. And image will always be on internet, in pristine condition.
And for others it's speculative market, where dang thing is worthless, expect it will sell for more.
(For some it's way to support their favorite brand, but there should be more practical ways).

I mean, it's not NFT, but few parallels can be seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

who cares about nfts anyway as long as the person enjoys the comic that's all that matters. 

12 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I really don't like or get this trend.
For some it's crazy chase just to get a image they like, but they won't hang it on the wall to look at, comic goes to the box or shelf, with dozens others. And image will always be on internet, in pristine condition.
And for others it's speculative market, where dang thing is worthless, expect it will sell for more.
(For some it's way to support their favorite brand, but there should be more practical ways).

I mean, it's not NFT, but few parallels can be came.

Precisely my point! ;)

So I don't know if this is something they might consider doing, but once Sonic Frontiers is out and some time passes, do you think IDW will make an adaptation of the game set in the comic continuity? This was common with Archie Comics, but do you think the same will be done for this comic lineup? 

4 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

So I don't know if this is something they might consider doing, but once Sonic Frontiers is out and some time passes, do you think IDW will make an adaptation of the game set in the comic continuity? This was common with Archie Comics, but do you think the same will be done for this comic lineup? 

A tie-in prequel issue, and then they'll acknowledge events similar to it to have happened at some point.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

Well, Forces technically got a four-part adaptation by IDW in web form so, I can see that happening.

2 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

I do wonder if that would be a good idea since Archie tried to put the games into the comics a few times (the most notable example being the Sonic Adventure games) and they weren't that successful at it.  I just hope that if IDW decided to do a Sonic Frontiers comic, that it would be separate from the mainline comics in order to avoid any confusion.  Or maybe Sonic Frontiers might be released after the Imposter Syndrome storyline wraps and they would easily incorporate Sonic Frontiers into the stories afterwards.  After all, Ian Flynn is writing Sonic Frontiers.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder if that would be a good idea since Archie tried to put the games into the comics a few times (the most notable example being the Sonic Adventure games) and they weren't that successful at it.  I just hope that if IDW decided to do a Sonic Frontiers comic, that it would be separate from the mainline comics in order to avoid any confusion.  Or maybe Sonic Frontiers might be released after the Imposter Syndrome storyline wraps and they would easily incorporate Sonic Frontiers into the stories afterwards.  After all, Ian Flynn is writing Sonic Frontiers.

That was what I was kind of thinking myself. 

16 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Well, Forces technically got a four-part adaptation by IDW in web form so, I can see that happening.

It didn't. Those comics were done directly under Sega and published on Twitter. Nothing to do with IDW, which hadn't published even any issue at that point.

Those comics are also not an adaptation of Forces, they're extra stories that connect to it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Hope they'll get adapted in the main storyline coherently. After all, the Adventure disaster was mainly due to the fact that the team that was adapting it was split into those who didn't know the story in detail (go check Spaz's declaration about having to translate the japanese version of the game...) and some who just didn't care...

...to say nothing to the vastly different universe. Like, the Master Emerald couldn't even contain Chaos, considering it was only recently created...

3 hours ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

It didn't. Those comics were done directly under Sega and published on Twitter. Nothing to do with IDW, which hadn't published even any issue at that point.

Those comics are also not an adaptation of Forces, they're extra stories that connect to it.

Yeah but they were written by Flynn

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

When was the Sonic Forces comic written?  Before they did the main story lines for IDW or during it?

I mean, we got a Team Sonic Racing tie-in. If a racing spin-off gets a tie-in, I'd be amazed if Frontiers doesn't get one. I suppose the question is more whether it would be canonical to IDW or like the TSR one and many Archie tie-ins, it isn't canonical.

I think it is worth noting really how little the Sonic status quo has changed since Forces. It isn't like the 2000's when games were constantly coming out with new plots and hot new characters and the games established more of their own style and lore, while Archie steadfastedly became more and more seperated from the games, until Flynn came on and slowly tried to make Archie at least a little like the games. Frankly, I think you could argue IDW is canonical to video game Sonic since there has been very little to disprove that notion. I guess it depends how much Frontiers adds in terms of story.

Interesting stuff regardless.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

Frankly, I think you could argue IDW is canonical to video game Sonic since there has been very little to disprove that notion.

Uh, I thought that was taken for granted. At least the Modern Era games, considering they are and keep getting referenced (getting the feeling Ian keeps avoid directly referencing Classic games until the idiotic "two separated dimensions" concept will inevitably fail... 😇)

2 hours ago, SkyHorizon said:

Uh, I thought that was taken for granted. At least the Modern Era games, considering they are and keep getting referenced (getting the feeling Ian keeps avoid directly referencing Classic games until the idiotic "two separated dimensions" concept will inevitably fail... 😇)

Well, to be pedantic, in the IDW continuity, Modern Game Sonic (minus the stuff Sega likes to pretend doesn't exist) is canonical to IDW, with IDW starting as a direct continuation from the events of Sonic Forces and uses characters and plot points from games like Sonic Riders, Sonic Lost World, etc. You are correct.

What I am saying is, IDW could (but very probably not) be canonical in the Modern Game Sonic continuity purely because nothing has been released since Forces that directly contradicts it, the only thing really being Team Sonic Racing which is a spin-off racing title. I find it interesting in a way how IDW hasn't really had to worry about their series being interupted by having to incorporate a new character or new storyline from the games like it was the 2000s, potentially until Frontiers comes out. The question is how big of a deal will the plot of the game be, will it be something that IDW should incorporate, or will it feel inconsequential there is little harm in the IDW-verse of it just not happening, or maybe just quietly happening off-page inbetween story arcs. I imagine the fact Ian Flynn is involved in both the game's plot and the IDW books would hopefully mean some kind of interesting deal. I just find it interesting really, and perhaps a little sad how quiet the Sonic game front is IDW can just do its own thing without interupption, whilst Archie did its own thing for years whilst the Sonic landscape dramatically changed around them.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

Well, to be pedantic, in the IDW continuity, Modern Game Sonic (minus the stuff Sega likes to pretend doesn't exist) is canonical to IDW, with IDW starting as a direct continuation from the events of Sonic Forces and uses characters and plot points from games like Sonic Riders, Sonic Lost World, etc. You are correct.

What I am saying is, IDW could (but very probably not) be canonical in the Modern Game Sonic continuity purely because nothing has been released since Forces that directly contradicts it, the only thing really being Team Sonic Racing which is a spin-off racing title. I find it interesting in a way how IDW hasn't really had to worry about their series being interupted by having to incorporate a new character or new storyline from the games like it was the 2000s, potentially until Frontiers comes out. The question is how big of a deal will the plot of the game be, will it be something that IDW should incorporate, or will it feel inconsequential there is little harm in the IDW-verse of it just not happening, or maybe just quietly happening off-page inbetween story arcs. I imagine the fact Ian Flynn is involved in both the game's plot and the IDW books would hopefully mean some kind of interesting deal. I just find it interesting really, and perhaps a little sad how quiet the Sonic game front is IDW can just do its own thing without interupption, whilst Archie did its own thing for years whilst the Sonic landscape dramatically changed around them.

I do wonder how many Sonic games will be made during IDW's run on the franchise.  There was like a dozen Sonic games being released when Archie Comics had the rights to the series in comic book format. But, when IDW just started up, they only had Sonic Forces to go by (at least in terms of mainline games).  So, now with Sonic Frontiers coming up, do you think that SEGA will make more of an effort to tie in the IDW comics to the world of the games, depending on how many games we get after Sonic Frontiers?

Another cover for issue #50, online exclusive:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Tails, watch out behind you! 😨

• Thumbs Up 2

Took awhile, but I finally got around to reading through Imposter Syndrome #4, and to be honest...it was a little weak imo. 

I've gone on and on at length about my problems with Starline before, so I'm just gonna keep it very short and very sweet - this 'takeover' was pathetically easy. Like bizarrely easy on Starline's part, especially for someone like Eggman. When we were getting all of the stuff in earlier issues about this being the Eggnet hub and all that, I sort of assumed it wasn't going to be a full takeover, but rather either Starline would partially take over some of Eggman's legion, and that'd be what kicks off the war between the two, or I thought the actual arc would be the battle itself - Starline, Surge, and Kit in the midst of the attempted hostile takeover, with Sonic and Tails getting mixed in. That it'd be an actual - y'know war between two empires, not just Starline literally stealing every single thing Eggman ever built and Eggman only getting a freaking mech to say goodbye with.

Instead, for all this build-up, Starline, Surge, and Kit waltz in and easily dispatch the badniks that are around, and only Metal Sonic really poses any kind of threat towards the three (Which becomes moot soon anyways), and after a quick USB usage, that's it, the entirety of Eggman's army is literally overridden and turned against Eggman. 

I just don't like it at all. It kind of makes Eggman look really stupid. That all Starline had to do was literally waltz into a base, plug in a USB and batta boom, that's the entirety of the Eggman Empire just stripped from him in a flash. What on earth stops Tails or any of the other geniuses in this series from doing the exact same thing? It feels so ridiculously rushed, frankly. 

Beyond that, the issue was just alright. The fight with Metal Sonic was decent enough, I guess. It was at least inventive how he went down via a electrical surge enhanced by Kit soaking him, but that's about it. 

I'd say Eggman was easily the highlight of the issue. His delight in thinking Sonic/Tails were attacking, only to get joyful over the idea of having some fresh new rodents to take down was pretty fun. I also liked how quick on his feet he was, with how they tried to set up Orbot and Cubot turning as a big dramatic moment, only for Eggman to smack both of them, and escape so easily. I can't wait to see which of his mechs we're going to get with the next issue.

It just felt like a really rushed conclusion - as others said, not really the conclusion to this arc, but just some fast and dirty set-up to Issue 50, which doesn't really help the fact that this is all coming as the final issue after months of a ridiculously slow, tedious, and drawn-out release schedule.

I really hope this all ends with Eggman pulling out the win, frankly. The man needs it at this point.

To kiiinda defend the story, easy take-over was whole point of Starline's plan. Smashing one army on other in hopes of winning is exactly the kind of loose plan Eggman makes and Starline hates. He would not attack otherwise. The way I see it, Starline plans in details, Eggman is better at improvising. At "huh, I feel at strange floating island, with red echidna. Weird, but I can make it work".

WITH THAT SAID, I agree it was too easy. Ideally Eggman would already figure out Starline is behind everything and set up a trap. Which would still fail, but give him some credit. But as always in those situations, maybe context of issue 50 will change perspective a little.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/2/2022 at 12:19 AM, Silvereyes said:

Totally agree. I thought the same since the series started: what will happen when they'll release a new game (a real one, not STR, i mean)? How they'll incorporate it?

Well, guess we'll find out soon (but not so soon).

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't be surprised if we get an adaptation but I'm not expecting it for now. They'll probably just bring in some elements like they usually do, maybe not even necessarily immediately (I guess it depends on what characters are introduced, if any, and if there's a reason for the cast to go to the islands or something).

If we get a tie in of any kind, it'd be cool if it wasn't just scenes from the game. The Forces comics were a lot more interesting than the "here's the first cutscene or so for a few pages" backup stories they did in Archie.

13 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

To kiiinda defend the story, easy take-over was whole point of Starline's plan. Smashing one army on other in hopes of winning is exactly the kind of loose plan Eggman makes and Starline hates. He would not attack otherwise. The way I see it, Starline plans in details, Eggman is better at improvising. At "huh, I feel at strange floating island, with red echidna. Weird, but I can make it work".

WITH THAT SAID, I agree it was too easy. Ideally Eggman would already figure out Starline is behind everything and set up a trap. Which would still fail, but give him some credit. But as always in those situations, maybe context of issue 50 will change perspective a little.

I don't really think that's an example of planning in advance though. If it was Starline analysing the base, pointing out the weak spots, where they could dismantle it piece by piece, planning every detail to the exact moment to take over Eggman's most fortified base, then sure - I could maybe buy that, but it isn't - literally all we get is Starline, Surge and Kit going right in, easily dispatching badniks, and then Metal Sonic shows up, with Surge and Kit just acting as a distraction.

Again, it's just insanely easy and rushed - Eggman might be short-sighted, but he isn't a complete moron, I do not buy that the Dr. Eggman we know would be so foolish as to leave such a massive security flaw - especially with known enemies like Tails and Starline - and just let it lie there, for anyone to just exploit and take over his empire in such a stunningly short time. It again just feels like they're trying to hype up Starline at the expense of Eggman's intelligence and competence. The same man who easily tricked Tails into outting their whole scheme in SA2 is now leaving such a huge flaw in his systems that his entire empire can be stolen from him within a flash, it makes absolutely zero sense.

While Starline wanted a quick, and easy takeover, execution IMO should have been different. Literally one of Starline's constant character flaws is he keeps underestimating his enemies. He underestimated Sonic and Silver initially, he underestimated the sheer threat the Deadly Six would pose, he underestimated the intelligence of his hired Bad Guys, he underestimated Surge and Kit's ability and intellect to the degree he literally kept allowing them to stumble onto his plans each and every time for chuckles, and now he's underestimating both Eggman's abilities (He really thought Orbot and Cubot would be enough to capture him), and he's underestimating Sonic.

Surely the better thing to do here would've been Starline's flaw biting him on the ass - he underestimates Eggman one time too many, and Eggman's got a plan already set in motion for his takeover - Eggman either retains part of his empire, or Starline ends up meeting far more resistance in his attack on the Eggnet, which causes the entire thing to sprial into chaos (Which again - is why I thought Issue 50 was supposed to be - an actual literal war between Eggman and Starline's forces, with Sonic and Tails dragged in the middle, not just Starline easily taking command of Eggman's entire empire within minutes).

It just feels unbelievable to me. I know Eggman's got his flaws, and I've been saying the same thing as you for ages about how they should tackle Starline and Eggman's different methodologies, but the way they've handled this just makes absolutely zero sense to me. It just makes Eggman look stupid while glorifying Starline to a ridiculous degree. It's not even particularly a problem with Starline here, if this came after a period of actual fighting, like if we had an arc of Starline and Eggman in battle, and this was like the major turning point before the finale, then yeah - I could see it working and feeling earned, but as it is, it's just extremely rushed, like Ian had to make sure this was in place for Issue 50.