Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Spoiler

Huh. Looks like Infinite's coming to Sonic Forces Speed Battles. I wonder if this means anything for him appearing in the comics.

255218772_3433416726884994_5452278181054580216_n.jpg

Edited by Zaysho
Speed Battle datamine speculation
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Glad that Infinite is featured again.  Hopefully, this will mean that SEGA will allow him to get to the comics.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 4

Spoiler

If he's in Rangers/Frontiers, then I could see them keeping him out of the comics for another year or so. If not, this might mean he's fair game.

Edited by Zaysho

Spoiler

Why would Infinite being in a mobile game have any bearing on him appearing in the comic?

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/10/2021 at 10:56 PM, CertifiedNobody said:
Spoiler

If he's in Rangers/Frontiers, then I could see them keeping him out of the comics for another year or so. If not, this might mean he's fair game.

Spoiler

I guess they want to try to establish the new setting for the Sonic games when Frontiers come out and they probably kept Infinite out of the comics because they didn't want to get his characterization mixed up with the past characterization in Sonic Forces.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/10/2021 at 11:39 PM, PC the Hedgehog said:
Spoiler

Why would Infinite being in a mobile game have any bearing on him appearing in the comic?

Spoiler

He's essentially been barred from appearing in anything post-Forces since 2017. This could mean that Sega either no longer considers Infinite "new" (They don't want stuff from recent games being plot points in the comics), or that they've changed the rules. Either way, we might see Infinite get used in good stuff now.

This could be big...

IanSpoilz.PNG

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Speed Battle also includes Tikal, the werehog, and Longclaw as playable characters, it's not really an indication of anything.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2021 at 11:55 PM, Diogenes said:
Spoiler

Speed Battle also includes Tikal, the werehog, and Longclaw as playable characters, it's not really an indication of anything.

Spoiler

Tikal was never barred from the comics, the Werehog showed up in a flashback early in the Metal Virus, and Longclaw is part of a different continuity. This indicates a changing attitude regarding Infinite at Sega, if there was no change and they could always use him, he would've been thrown in with the other Forces stuff at launch.

Edited by Zaysho

On 11/10/2021 at 11:47 PM, CertifiedNobody said:
Spoiler

He's essentially been barred from appearing in anything post-Forces since 2017. This could mean that Sega either no longer considers Infinite "new" (They don't want stuff from recent games being plot points in the comics), or that they've changed the rules. Either way, we might see Infinite get used in good stuff now.

This could be big...

IanSpoilz.PNG

Spoiler

So, I haven't seen the datamines outside of what's been posted on twitter - which is mostly about Infinite and a little about the Christmas Silver costume. Thing is, neither of those have anything to do with Ian, as far as I know. So there's no reason for Ian to have "pride" about Infinite or a Christmas Silver getting into Speed Battle.

I guess what I'm asking is if there's something else talking about another comic character coming to the game. Starline, Mimic, maybe even Surge? I figure he has to be talking about something like that.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

The #KnowingSmile could mean that Infinite is now usable in the comics, but it's hard to tell due to his wording.

Edited by Zaysho

Spoiler

He might have used the "knowing smile" because it's a leak. Ian likes the character and wanted to use him but was shot down. They might let him some day, but this in itself isn't an indication of anything when the mobile games have forever been a grab bag of fanservice. Keep in mind, Ian had a hand in Infinite's development ever so slightly since he effectively wrote his original backstory for the prequel comics.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 4

Spoiler

I forgot that Ian wrote Infinite's backstory from the prequel comics. It could be that he was the one to convince Sega to make Infinite usable, but that's just a guess. I disagree that this isn't an indication of anything. Why would they wait over four years to introduce Infinite if there was no greater meaning behind this? Why don't they have other desired characters like Mephiles?

Edited by Zaysho

On 11/11/2021 at 12:22 AM, CertifiedNobody said:
Spoiler

I disagree that this isn't an indication of anything. Why would they wait over four years to introduce Infinite if there was no greater meaning behind this? Why don't they have other desired characters like Mephiles?

Spoiler

Because fanservice in a mobile billboard game doesn't need a greater meaning. They've gone back and done stuff like Saber Sonic and Werehog Sonic as well as given Knuckles his OVA hat for an alt. As for why? Who knows. Priorities change all the time, and at least from what I've seen of Speed Battle, the majority of new pulls that I've heard about are primarily character alts and then there's a few special ones that happen like Tangle or whatever once in a while. They'll probably get to Mephiles or Erazor or whatever down the line if the game continues to get support, because they did this with Runners already.

Outside of that game, we have random merch being made for characters like Emerl and Mephiles. In 2021. These things shouldn't be looked at definitive synergy of what's to come in mainline Sonic or any offshoots; the mobile games and merch are just brand advertising and all the deep cut stuff is aimed squarely at people who'd know what they are because Sega deals in tons of Sonic fanservice all the time.

It isn't to say something can't change--Ian's commented on trying to work around and massage what he can to get what he wants, but it isn't easy. Just don't expect it to be a lead-in.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

So I shouldn't expect Infinite to be part of a tie-in to Sonic Forces? There's no greater meaning behind the fact that he was withheld for literal years despite every other character from that game being in it? Yeah, Runners had just about any character, but Speed Battles is different, and has a more direct connection to Sega's rules for the franchise.

If we don't get an IDW character as part of this update, then Ian's comment was without a doubt directed at Infinite. So unless Starline is added (because who else has been around long enough to be added?), I think it's safe to say we'll probably seeing infinite in a few arcs.

Edited by Zaysho

Spoiler

Speed Battle doesn't have Gemerl or Vanilla but they're both in IDW. Speed Battle has Chaos and Tikal but we know Sega has told IDW they consider them dead and can't be used. They aren't done in coordination with each other. Cool as it is to see Sega add Tangle and Whisper to the game as a way to see them increase the marketability of the two, they were added primarily as promotion for the mini-series. That's why Teen Sonic, Baby Sonic, and Longclaw were added, as promotion for the movie. Stuff like Excalibur Sonic or Elite Agent Rouge on the other hand isn't because they're trying to promote those designs, they're randomly added to keep interest in the game itself. Infinite's addition to the game primarily means one thing - he's there because Sega finds his addition adds marketability to the game. For me who wants more Infinite in stuff, that's good on its own. It's probably not to promote another product though - if it's to promote anything it's probably to promote the fourth anniversary of the release of Sonic Forces itself. If it's for another reason - maybe the plush sold really well and Sega is experimenting by putting Infinite in the game as a result - cool and that might lead to something eventually. I just doubt that's it.

And again, doubt Infinite is what Ian would be talking about. He did write the origin comic for him, but he's made it clear that was essentially dictated to him by Sega. I'd be surprised is he felt any significant attachment to him as a result. Maybe he does, could be wrong and I'd like it if Ian was that invested in him, but I don't think that's the case.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/11/2021 at 12:48 AM, CertifiedNobody said:
Spoiler

So I shouldn't expect Infinite to be part of a tie-in to Sonic Forces? There's no greater meaning behind the fact that he was withheld for literal years despite every other character from that game being in it? Yeah, Runners had just about any character, but Speed Battles is different, and has a more direct connection to Sega's rules for the franchise.

If we don't get an IDW character as part of this update, then Ian's comment was without a doubt directed at Infinite. So unless Starline is added (because who else has been around long enough to be added?), I think it's safe to say we'll probably seeing infinite in a few arcs.

Spoiler

No, because it's fanservice first. Speed Battle isn't on special rules compared to Runners and I haven't seen anything to suggest that. We know what's in the datamines and it's Infinite and Nutcracker Silver, and I checked to see if there was anything else but the file listing sounded like things already in the game (Tangle, Punk Zazz, etc.). Just look at the roster of the game and you can tell that tying into events is not the game's primary focus when the priority was given to most of the main heroes and the usual recurring villains (Eggman, Metal, the Zeti, the Rogues unless you count them as heroes), plus a couple deep cuts and seasonal outfits for most of them.

The only major media tie in I see is the movie stuff, Tangle and Whisper if you want to stretch but they were gassed by Sega themselves for two years straight and had actual merchandise. Nothing particularly special was going on with them at the time of their release. Everything else is just picking and choosing fun things that appeal to people who'd recognize them, like Knuckles with the OVA hat or Saber Sonic.

I will say I am surprised they hadn't used Infinite already so it feels like he was lower priority, and maybe Sega did shoot it down previously. I wouldn't know, it's weird but it doesn't strike me as anything special in the same way the Mephiles doll doesn't. Just seems like some nice acknowledgement now that time has passed. I don't think it's impossible that he could appear and honestly it'd be kinda nice to see just because I'd like Ian to get his hands on the character, the point is to just temper your expectations. Same with not immediately expecting him to be in the next game, even if rumors have mentioned his music being used as placeholders in test builds. It could happen, but that shouldn't be the immediate conclusion.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Absolutely 1

Spoiler

I have a few thoughts:

Infinite was probably off limits in Forces mobile as well, because of the "no reference to present games" mandate, now they are loosening a bit on that, but it could also be they wanted him for the 4 year milestone, after all Super Sonic was also added very late and he's important.

Forces mobile definitely has promotion and tie-ins, the whole game is a promotion for Forces, Planet Wisp has Colors Ultimate billboards, Tangle & Whisper's arrival was presented with a IDW comics ad in the news section, and of course everything related to the movie. It has deep cuts though.

Edited by Zaysho

On 11/10/2021 at 10:00 PM, CertifiedNobody said:
Spoiler

Huh. Looks like Infinite's coming to Sonic Forces Speed Battles. I wonder if this means anything for him appearing in the comics.

255218772_3433416726884994_5452278181054580216_n.jpg

Spoiler

Just saw the file and uncolored model yesterday. Huh.

Guess the game is considered complete now and characters like the other six Zeti aren't considered inclusions.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:56 PM, CertifiedNobody said:
Spoiler

Frontiers?

On 11/10/2021 at 11:40 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:
Spoiler

I guess they want to try to establish the new setting for the Sonic games when Frontiers come out and they probably kept Infinite out of the comics because they didn't want to get his characterization mixed up with the past characterization in Sonic Forces.

Spoiler

Effectively.

Granted, I also heard that there could be some trademark weirdness going on, but this happened with the Dreamcast and early Modern era cast as well--characters like Omega, Cream, Nega, and Chip were barred from being used by Archie for quite a while.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:04 AM, GentlemanX said:
Spoiler

So, I haven't seen the datamines outside of what's been posted on twitter - which is mostly about Infinite and a little about the Christmas Silver costume. Thing is, neither of those have anything to do with Ian, as far as I know. So there's no reason for Ian to have "pride" about Infinite or a Christmas Silver getting into Speed Battle.

He likely knew it was coming since he is in closer contact with SonicTeam and may have even played a small part in it happening.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:04 AM, GentlemanX said:
Spoiler

I guess what I'm asking is if there's something else talking about another comic character coming to the game. Starline, Mimic, maybe even Surge? I figure he has to be talking about something like that.

I suppose that could also make sense?

On 11/11/2021 at 1:17 AM, GentlemanX said:
Spoiler

Speed Battle doesn't have Gemerl or Vanilla but they're both in IDW. Speed Battle has Chaos and Tikal but we know Sega has told IDW they consider them dead and can't be used. They aren't done in coordination with each other. Cool as it is to see Sega add Tangle and Whisper to the game as a way to see them increase the marketability of the two, they were added primarily as promotion for the mini-series. That's why Teen Sonic, Baby Sonic, and Longclaw were added, as promotion for the movie. Stuff like Excalibur Sonic or Elite Agent Rouge on the other hand isn't because they're trying to promote those designs, they're randomly added to keep interest in the game itself. Infinite's addition to the game primarily means one thing - he's there because Sega finds his addition adds marketability to the game. For me who wants more Infinite in stuff, that's good on its own. It's probably not to promote another product though - if it's to promote anything it's probably to promote the fourth anniversary of the release of Sonic Forces itself. If it's for another reason - maybe the plush sold really well and Sega is experimenting by putting Infinite in the game as a result - cool and that might lead to something eventually. I just doubt that's it.

And again, doubt Infinite is what Ian would be talking about. He did write the origin comic for him, but he's made it clear that was essentially dictated to him by Sega. I'd be surprised is he felt any significant attachment to him as a result. Maybe he does, could be wrong and I'd like it if Ian was that invested in him, but I don't think that's the case.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:09 AM, Zaysho said:

the file listing sounded like things already in the game (Tangle, Punk Zazz, etc.). 

. Everything else is just picking and choosing fun things that appeal to people who'd recognize them, like Knuckles with the OVA hat or Saber Sonic.

Saber Sonic?

Spoiler

. Same with not immediately expecting him to be in the next game, even if rumors have mentioned his music being used as placeholders in test builds. It could happen, but that shouldn't be the immediate conclusion.

Spoiler

Oh? I remember someone saying the Ruby sound effect was in the files for Team Sonic Racing, but I never got context for either?

On 11/11/2021 at 3:16 AM, Jack-al said:
Spoiler

, but it could also be they wanted him for the 4 year milestone, after all Super Sonic was also added very late and he's important.

Spoiler

Basically. The game is a Forces spinoff that frames some of its characters as products of the Phantom Ruby, so why not keep the character associated with it for a commemorative occasion.

Edited by Zaysho

Spoiler

Maybe Infinite was barred because he was from the newest game for four years, and now that Colors Ultimate is out, he's not so new.

Edited by Zaysho

Spoiler

I guess Ian could've been talking about the alternate Whisper costume, but it seems like a pretty minor thing to get so excited about.

unnamed (1).jpg

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

Linebacker Omega, huh?

Never knew he was a football bot.

Edited by Zaysho

On 11/11/2021 at 5:10 AM, DabigRG said:

Saber Sonic?

Just me being funny because Sonic is King Arthur and I like Fate lol

Spoiler

re:the costume, I hadn't seen that last night but if it's an alt of Whisper that would probably line up better. I imagine it's cool for a creator to have some me of their characters not only featured but get the kind of attention to have something new made for them.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

I guess, but it seems like one of the less important parts of this leak, especially when everyone else is hyped for Infinite. I guess we'll just have to wait until someone asks him on Bumblekast to get any definitive info on if Infinite's addition to Speed Battles means anything for the comic yet

Edited by Zaysho

On 11/11/2021 at 7:36 AM, CertifiedNobody said:
Spoiler

Maybe Infinite was barred because he was from the newest game for four years, and now that Colors Ultimate is out, he's not so new.

Uh...Pretty Colors is technically still older.

Edited by Zaysho

21 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

Uh...Pretty Colors is technically still older.

Technically it's newest main game, regardless of being a remaster