Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Not every character needs a strong connection to Sonic but stripping away the few that actually do exist isn't any kind of improvement in my mind.

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not every character needs a strong connection to Sonic but stripping away the few that actually do exist isn't any kind of improvement in my mind.

That's a fair take.

I just don't think amy's connection to sonic has ever been interesting. I'm kinda focusing on her. Like legit the only times I have ever liked amy is when she's not interacting with sonic.

Amy's crush is fine. It doesn't have to define her character, but I don't really care for the attempts to turn her into a generic female action hero when here quirks are what made her interesting before. If you shave off all her edges in fear that someone might find her annoying you'll end up with a bland character loved by no one.

26 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Amy's crush is fine. It doesn't have to define her character, but I don't really care for the attempts to turn her into a generic female action hero when here quirks are what made her interesting before. If you shave off all her edges in fear that someone might find her annoying you'll end up with a bland character loved by no one.

Her quirks are i feel like what annoyed most people. While I think she can have more character in IDW because again, it sucks she's just an exposition vessel for sonic forces. But in general I think the move to tone down the sonic stuff and focus on what can make her unique and interesting, is kinda neat.

I feel like rouge is the one actually going through the " generification " process, but no one is talking about that

If people found Amy annoying, it was because of flanderization...not the fact that her quirks exist.

Gotta wait a bit on that Rouge take though, that's closer to game stuff than comics stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Amy seems to have lost her silly crush on Sonic, both in Boom and the comic series. Her crazy obsession with Sonic is part of what I like about her.

2 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Boom and the comic is just someone else that looks like Amy. 

giphy.gif

Uh...WHAT?!

Sonic BOOM ships Sonic & Amy harder than any other media or universe.

She keeps a photo of Sonic in her house, she wrote fan-fiction about him, and actually do things together, just the 2 them, alone together.

How often in the other media do we get shots of Sonic and Amy like this?

223743490045202.gif?r1024x1024

hqdefault.jpg

d87ay03-c254864a-91b1-462e-936a-759fa029

Heck in the Archie Universe, before or after the Penders Mind Wipe, when was the last Sonic & Amy teamed up together...with just the 2 of them?

Another question: When was the last time Shadow was able to Chaos Spear the Super out of anyone, in his base form?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Her quirks are i feel like what annoyed most people. While I think she can have more character in IDW because again, it sucks she's just an exposition vessel for sonic forces. But in general I think the move to tone down the sonic stuff and focus on what can make her unique and interesting, is kinda neat.

There's nothing unique about being the one in the computer chair.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

If people found Amy annoying, it was because of flanderization...not the fact that her quirks exist.

Nah dog, Folks found amy mad annoying back in the adventure days because they just didn't like her shtick. It ain't everyone right . I would be lying because people like her. But there are a lot of folks that genuinely do not like amy that much because of that. And its kinda reflected poorly on her character ever since, and it seems as though sega is making active efforts to push her away from that as far as possible. From my understanding amy was ... never as popular as any of the more popular characters, and sega probably wants a girl character who could possibly bring in a different audience. So they are changing her.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Gotta wait a bit on that Rouge take though, that's closer to game stuff than comics stuff.

Do we? So like back in the day, rouge kinda just lost a lot of her spy stuff and she just kinda ended up being " shadow's friend " and team dark was a team and a lot of the characterization that was there was removed in service of this. But now, while they don't want team dark to not be a thing because nostalgia is in vogue and adventure is on the list, but they want to characterize shadow as a loner. So she doesn't get much in way of distinct characterization. She's kinda flirty but uh... its nothing more than that. She's a bit better in the comics, but not by much.

And what sucks is independence doesn't fix this, it would just mean we wouldn't see her.

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

There's nothing unique about being the one in the computer chair.

No, but her temperament personality and how she handles situations is. She's a great deal more kind and understanding , which despite being a series largely about happy cooperation is actually in short supply among the cast. Along with that , this balanced out with a pretty blunt personality and an ability just outright read what situations are by looking at them. I'm not denying I would prefer her not being in a chair. I'm with you. I feel this story is putting people into places for the sake of it and that just... makes the story less interesting to me.

However to me, what makes her interesting like with most sonic characters is her personality. And even while she isn't the most active, its still communicated. But again, i'm with you , i wish this story hadn't forced her to be oracle from batman.

56 minutes ago, Wraith said:

31 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I feel like rouge is the one actually going through the " generification " process, but no one is talking about that

Ya'll do know there's more to Amy's quirks than her crush, right?

I'm not even too emotional about her and I know that.

26 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Yeah.

What about Rouge?

24 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Sonic BOOM ships Sonic & Amy harder than any other media or universe.

Another question: When was the last time Shadow was able to Chaos Spear the Super out of anyone, in his base form?

Exactly.

He did that to begin with?

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

yes

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Perhaps....

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Okay.

@Fire-N-Space

10 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Perhaps....

Well okay then.

Amy just hasn't been given much room to flex lately, with Boom being a very technical exception.

Like I said, you don't have to get rid of Amy's quirks to make her a better character. But those quirks don't have to consume the character either. 

Just make her a character that just so happens to have a crush on Sonic, rather than that being the end all, be all of her character.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Not at all, you want stories that focus around him sure. The characters aren't obligated and shouldn't really care to much about him. Heck the best version of sonic is sonic boom sonic because of this. He's some guy who actively seems like he's trying to prove himself, because the world he's in is uncaring. It makes his friendships and the people who do care value more because those connections are real and rare.  he's more like spiderman and that's a genuinely interesting version of the character. Its like one of the few versions of him that I could get behind because it felt like he was working to something.

I remember you once saying " you don't want sonic being dragon ball " , I feel like this is the first step to getting there.

Having people care less about him makes them interesting and sonic himself more interesting

Like Diogenes said, stripping away the few characters who do have a strong connection to Sonic isn't really an improvement. And if you never found Amy's crush on Sonic that interesting, fine but that doesn't change that it has and is still large part of what defines the character. All I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be the ONLY thing that defines the character. Characters are kind of three-dimensional (or two-dimensional on a good day in this series), so  they're allowed to have more than one trait that defines them and are allowed to have more than one significant relationship with a specific character. 

I hope Ian Flynn writes the deadly six like he did with the hooligans.

How was his writing of the deadly six in Archie?

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

I hope he writes them like a couple of things.

But to answer your question, I honestly couldn't tell you. From what I recall, most of the stories "focusing" on them were written by different writers.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

"We're here and we're brainwashed. Oh no, we're defeated."

And they never show up again.

54 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Damn good. Which is telling, because I’m not particularly fond of them otherwise.

And considering they were only in Worlds Unite, which I fucking hate, that’s a massive compliment.

For starters, they actually live up to their name—Master Zik makes Megaman almost execute himself by forcing him to point a charged Buster Shot at his head. And the six of them could have wiped out the entire combined force of Heroes of Sega and Capcom cast in one fell swoop were it not for the fact that they were on their home turf.

I’d go so far as to say they were the few good  things about Worlds Unite.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I remember Zazz, Zomom, and Master Zik making Mega Man shoot himself in the head.

I mean, it was the latter, but yeah. Definitely one of the highlights.

34 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

For starters, they actually live up to their name—Master Zik makes Megaman almost execute himself by forcing him to point a charged Buster Shot at his head.

Almost nothing--I'm pretty sure there was smoke where his head is.

Good thing he's already a robot.

53 minutes ago, lulzers said:

Say, what if IDW made expies of Geoffrey St. John, Mina Mongoose, Lien-Da, and Hope Kintobor respectively? We've already got a Dr. Finitevus expy in the form of Starline.

No more major OCs please. The main cast isn't well utilized as it is.

1 hour ago, lulzers said:

Say, what if IDW made expies of Geoffrey St. John, Mina Mongoose, Lien-Da, and Hope Kintobor respectively? We've already got a Dr. Finitevus expy in the form of Starline.

1) With exception o teleportation tech, FInitevus and Starline aren't that similar. They evil scientists, but dr Ellidy wasn't expy of Chuck. Si if you're asking if I want someone just vaguely remind me of character x, then connection is too loose for me to care either way. It't just recycling some tropes.

2) None of characters you mentioned were that great. But even if you suggested my favorites, like Elias, I still don't feel the need for them. I rather move forward. (Not to mention how hard would be to recreated some of them).

3) With current model of 1-part stories there is no place for bigger OCs, even when we get a spin-off book it. Right now we could use more villains and Jewel/ElderScruffy/Vanilla sort of civilians, just important enough to make world more alive, not enough to take screen time.

My suggestion: give Amy second-in-command to give face to Restoration. Later that character would take over when we get bored with leader-Amy concept.