Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

3 minutes ago, JezMM said:

No reason not to really, though I was just doing the poll in terms of the argument as to whether the game was overall a disappointment or not and whether the majority were happy and the negativity in the thread was just a bunch of vocal oddballs.

Thus far, certainly not the case.

I see.

Also just realized I misread the columns and didn't add them up, whoops.

So what are some of your fears for forces, one for me is that it will be around a 2 hour game not counting looking for red rings atm.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in the "There are a significant amount of disappointments that will need to be fixed/not what they seem/compromised for if I'm going to be interested in the game" category if anyone cares, although I did consider the completely disappointed one, I probably would have chosen that one if I was in a worse mood tbh 

5 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

So what are some of your fears for forces, one for me is that it will be around a 2 hour game not counting looking for red rings atm.

My fear is that the new character will be even worse than the Deadly Six. 

11 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

That it's exactly what it looks like.

e: that people overpraise its story for being "serious" and Sonic Team decides that's the right direction for the series.

15 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

This is pretty much already proven at this point but classic physics are going to be even more pants than Generations. 

Are we sure that Classic Sonic's physics in this game are going to be pants? Because I really like how Sonic's acceleration and jumps look in that footage, they look fluid unlike in Generations. And about the rolling, the two spin dashes the player does look so right as well: pay attention to the first one and how Sonic picks up speed with the downhills and his speed when rolling around the loop! He slows down first and then accelerates, as it should be!

The S tubes is the only thing that looks wrong, really. They seem to be making them work like zoom tubes instead of standard sloping terrain. But as long as it's just that I don't care.

People were fine that the spindash was nerfed from Generations. How Sonic moves along slopes was never brought up.

They were complaining about Sonic's jank air movement. Because of how the player had a stop and go mentality when jumping on enemies across those platforms. It didn't look good how he just suddenly stops in midair.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if the physics have been improved in places, which is likely because there were subtle changes between each of the three previous boost games, it means nothing of the level design is as shite as Green Hill. 

Remember that time when Dimps actually made a reasonable effort in mimicking the Classic physics?

With level design like that, they needn't have bothered. 

• Thumbs Up 9

45 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

That it critics rate it too highly and that it sells too well.

I do not want the game to bomb. I don't even want it to do badly. But I want it to be received in such a way, and compared to Mania, that encourages SEGA to completely rethink what they're doing.

I hope critically Mania beats Forces easily. I'm expecting Mania to get plenty of 9/10's and some 10/10's which I can't envisage Forces getting near.

I can see Forces getting a similar bad reception by critics much like Sonic 4 Ep2 did. What I mean is; Ep2 received a much worse reception critically compared to Ep1 despite being a better game (IMO) when the gaming media cottoned on that the fanbase outright hated Ep1. So with Forces appearing to be similar to Gens in physics and design (like how Ep2 - despite some changes - was still similar to Ep1), bearing in mind Gens received a good critical receptions despite it faults (maybe was given a bit of a free-pass because of the 20th anniversary angle) I think critics have already started to catch on that some fans are not happy with Green Hill's inclusion in Forces and will be much harder on Forces as a result. For all me know Forces could turn out a better game than Gens and still get a far worse reception.

10 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Even if the physics have been improved in places, which is likely because there were subtle changes between each of the three previous boost games, it means nothing of the level design is as shite as Green Hill. 

Remember that time when Dimps actually made a reasonable effort in mimicking the Classic physics?

They needn't have bothered. 

When even DIMPS, fucking DIMPS, knows more about Sonic physics and level design than you do, it's probably time to reevaluate some things.

• Thumbs Up 6

10 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

They needn't have bothered. 

Well, from the first 40 seconds of that video...

A positive, is that Classic Sonic doesn't drastically lose momentum when not on a slope.

Negative, it honestly doesn't look like he gains any speed when actually on the slope.

7 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

When even DIMPS, fucking DIMPS, knows more about Sonic physics and level design than you do, it's probably time to reevaluate some things.

Well, they made an effort with the physics, even though they still managed to feel wonky in the 1:1 Classic level remakes. But they really don't know a thing about level design. 

It feels strange not to have a Dimps game in the pipeline alongside a Sonic Team title for a change. No complaints here though. We don't need a third iteration of Green Hill Zone this year. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Dimps' Sonic games have gone the way of the dodo. Spinoffs will probably be stuff more like Sonic Mania, which is fine by me. Dimps seems to be working on things more fitting for their talents with the Dragon Ball games, so it works out for them, too.

• Thumbs Up 8

Man, if something like Sonic 4 Ep 1 -> Ep 2's review scores happens I'll be actually kind of annoyed this time. I guess that'd be karma for me finding it hilarious when that happened, huh. (Note that this is assuming I like this game more than Gens, if I find it worse or about the same then I'll be fine with lower review scores.)

Besides, I'm skeptical they'd get the right message from just lower critical reception. 'Clearly this is because we had a playable character that wasn't Sonic,' etc.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Besides, I'm skeptical they'd get the right message from just lower critical reception. 'Clearly this is because we had a playable character that wasn't Sonic,' etc.

The right message? From the critics?

The common critic complaints.

1 hour ago, OcelotBot said:

I hope critically Mania beats Forces easily. I'm expecting Mania to get plenty of 9/10's and some 10/10's which I can't envisage Forces getting near.

It's never going to be fun idea relying too much on the opinions of 'professional' reviews, they don't always behave as you might expect and have a proven history of hostility towards the Sonic franchise. These are the same guys that tried to popularise the phrase "the classic Sonic game were never good", among other certain negative points they typically use to open an article about Sonic.

So while I'm sure that Sonic Mania will be a good game there's no guarantee that quality will be properly reflected in the reviews. Sonic Mania's meta score could rank around Sonic 4: Episode 2 or lower, a 'fair' comparison if the reviewers see no distinction between Sonic 4 and Sonic Mania. In this manner Sonic Mania could easily get lower scores then Sonic Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Kintor said:

It's never going to be fun idea relying too much on the opinions of 'professional' reviews, they don't always behave as you might expect and have a proven history of hostility towards the Sonic franchise. These are the same guys that tried to popularise the phrase "the classic Sonic game were never good", among other certain negative points they typically use to open an article about Sonic.

So while I'm sure that Sonic Mania will be a good game there's no guarantee that quality will be properly reflected in the reviews. Sonic Mania's meta score could rank around Sonic 4: Episode 2 or lower, a 'fair' comparison if the reviewers see no distinction between Sonic 4 and Sonic Mania. In this manner Sonic Mania could easily get lower scores then Sonic Forces.

hRaDNN.png

khnp9V.png

fEvUp8.png

While the press is definitely a bit weird with Sonic overall, they seem to be able to tell the difference between a proper classic Sonic experience and a poor imitation even if they aren't fully aware of the fact.

And I really don't wanna open this kettle of fish but Sonic CD 2011, the remake of what is often considered the worst/weirdest - or at least the most non-straightforward - classic Sonic game did score higher than Generations.

GBQT9v.png

So there that is regarding predicting Mania vs Forces scores...  Though honestly scoring just a little lower than Mania would frankly be nothing to mock at all, if Forces achieves the same "yeah it's a pretty decent game" success as Generations that'll be grand.

• Thumbs Up 6

Don't forget to take into account differences in the number of reviews.

Regardless, I doubt the performance of Mania is going to have an overwhelming effect on Sonic Team at this point because they've never been all that interested in meaningful cross-pollination regardless. Mania would have to, like, bring the platforming genre back into style or some shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

*cough*

Sonic Runners Adventure

Ah dang... That's right... We could be in for THREE versions of the SAME stage this year...

@Indigo Rush you can be a pretty cool guy, but you can also be malicious...

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

I think I'd be really dissapointed if Dimps have been axed completely. I think a lot of great stuff came out of the Advance trilogy and Rush games.

3aa3c999-3ddc-4e69-bf29-7705cee7526d.thumb.png.0e1830dd20c84a5dd18b033152baf317.png

Also, after seeing this mockup by Paul Veer (@pietepiet go follow on Twitter 'n stuff) I can't help but itch for a new game in the style of Sonic Advance 2 a la Sonic Mania.

Come on SEGA, make it happen ?

That mockup always gets me. I've seen it countless times through the years, but every single one of them I think "I wish I could play that, it should be a thing.".

It should be a thing. Glad we're getting Mania that looks beautiful as can be tho!

What about the next stream from Aaron and Sergio, any news are going to be announced?

• Thumbs Up 5