Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

inb4 99.999999% of the fanbase agrees the game looks like a PS2 game

Just now, blazefan519 said:

Gamecube was graphically more powerful than PS2, lol. Get your information right.

Was it? By and large I always thought titles looked better on the PS2 than the GameCube, and believe you me this is coming from a Nintendo fan-boy of all people.

...I was such a traitor back then.

15 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Sonic-Forces_2017_04-25-17_001.jpg

Playing this in Switch Portable mode, in bed, during the chilly winter holidays. 

d96.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Was it? By and large I always thought titles looked better on the PS2 than the GameCube, and believe you me this is coming from a Nintendo fan-boy of all people.

While the specifics were never given (we don't even know the graphical capability of the N64 yet), it's gone on record that GCN was the most powerful of its generation.

Just now, Zippo said:

Playing this in Switch Portable mode, in bed, during the cold winter holidays. 

d96.jpg

yes pls

Spoiler

still don't have a switch cri

1 minute ago, blazefan519 said:

While the specifics were never given (we don't even know the graphical capability of the N64 yet), it's gone on record that GCN was the most powerful of it generations.

actually no

that honor would go to XBOX OG, but only by a hair

Just now, blueblur98 said:

actually no

that honor would go to XBOX OG, but only by a hair

Oh really? Thought GCN was the most powerful. Oh well, doesn't matter. Gamecube was still awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Zippo said:

Playing this in Switch Portable mode, in bed, during the cold winter holidays.

Or, you know, on the toilet after the cold winter holidays come back to haunt you...

home-alone-fireomg.jpg

Sometimes it feels like this, just coming out the other end...

I guess watching Sonic's world burn while your arse does the same would make for some distraction.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

I'm making an assumption on this mind you, and I've said this before as well, but...

Sonic Forces looks like it could very easily run on PS3 and XBox 360 hardware, and it might not be too much of a stretch to say even the PS2 and original XBox could as well in some cases

My fucking sides. 

8 minutes ago, Zoroark & Flare said:

Our favorite site (love sarcasm) are here to help

http://m.ign.com/articles/2000/11/04/gamecube-versus-playstation-2

Lmao

• Thumbs Up 6

28 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Keep in mind Heroes had to run on the GameCube which was inferior to the PS2 so I blame that on Heroes graphics.

Oy vey man. This bias against Nintendo isn't doing your credential image any favors.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Oy vey man. This bias against Nintendo isn't doing your credential image any favors.

Read my later comment a few posts up.

26 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

believe you me this is coming from a Nintendo fan-boy of all people.

I can't be any more honest than that. lol

12 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Read my later comment a few posts up.

I can't be any more honest than that. lol

Claiming to be an alleged "fan-boy" means jack squat if you're trying to justify the strawman remarks you've mad in correlation to Nintendo.

Besides being a fanboy won't do you any favors either given the rules policies.

Regardless, I respect actual debate and wielding of the facts. I don't respect just trotting into a thread and misfiring such crucial misinformation in what appears to be another jab at a company. Be arsed enough to do your research if you want to be taken seriously.

It doesn't even take a high level researcher to know that Gamecube is a stronger 6th gen console than the PS2.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Claiming to be an alleged "fan-boy" means jack squat if you're trying to justify the strawman remarks you've mad in correlation to Nintendo.

Besides being a fanboy won't do you any favors either given the rules policies.

Regardless, I respect actual debate and wielding of the facts. I don't respect just trotting into a thread and misfiring such crucial misinformation in what appears to be another jab at a company. Be arsed enough to do your research if you want to be taken seriously.

It doesn't even take a high level researcher to know that Gamecube is officially the strongest 6th gen console.

Wait... What? Say... Huh now?

Dude, I was speaking on past experiences on the consoles I grew up with. I just legitimately thought the PS2 was better that gen because of the stuff I played.

That's... Unnecessarily cold. pardon the language but holy crap man. What did I do to you? O_o;

No need to jump in on me like that. -_-;

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I'm making an assumption on this mind you, and I've said this before as well, but...

Sonic Forces looks like it could very easily run on PS3 and XBox 360 hardware, and it might not be too much of a stretch to say even the PS2 and original XBox could as well in some cases,

Trust me, this is definitely a stretch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sonicfan7 said:

Trust me, this is definitely a stretch. 

I want to say again that I stated "in some cases" such as simplistic 2D locations like Green Hill, not so much the Modern Sonic content shown so far.

54 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Keep in mind Heroes had to run on the GameCube which was inferior to the PS2 so I blame that on Heroes graphics.

The Jak and Daxter series is a better power/capability comparison example. When you consider what the PS2 did with 3D environments with THAT wide a range of rendering savvy and such, condensing all that power into a mere 2D plain does make stages like Green Hill in Forces plausible on the PS2.

maxresdefault.jpgthat is literally the simplest point  gameplay in that game other than the start of every level

7 minutes ago, Zoroark & Flare said:

maxresdefault.jpgthat is literally the simplest point  gameplay in that game other than the start of every level

Ehh...

My whole stance was based on plausibility, not factuality anyways. Its been a long time since that gen so I was mainly speaking on experience with the Jak and Crash games back then, plus some of the Ratchet titles I dove into. I just figured stuff like Green Hill could have happened on PS2 level power but I knew full and well I could've been mistaken.

Keep this in mind as well @Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Whatever caused you to burst in and post that, believe me, I wasn't meaning to do what you seem to think I was. It wasn't some legitimate bomb against Nintendo or anything like that. I just liked what I saw on PS2 more back then and thought it had the better power.

Well, considering the fact that not even an unoptimized Sonic Heroes ran that great on the PS2, I'd say a PS2 / Xbox version of Forces would have to be approached the same way Sonic Unleashed was regarding it's respective PS3 - 360 and Wii versions, in which case, it just defeats the purpose of saying that Forces could run on PS2 and Xbox.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Forces would never run on PS3 or X360, let alone PS2/GC/Xbox, let's not forget that it's streaming data all the time, making a game THAT fast that looks THAT good, you have to make compromises. You're never going to get Uncharted 4 graphics in a Sonic game, if he keeps moving that fast. Both because of the Consoles that could never keep up as of now, maybe, just maybe a PS4 Pro, and because of the work that should be done to achieve that level of graphical polish, for assets that you barely see for two seconds in the game. It's just not worth it and the consoles couldn't keep up, you'd get another sub20fps shitfest that Unleashed was.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those older consoles simply lack the processing power...so that means Sonic needs to slow the buck down.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Dude, I was speaking on past experiences on the consoles I grew up with. I just legitimately thought the PS2 was better that gen because of the stuff I played.

You literally based the foundations for an argument concerning graphics on that.

58 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

The Jak and Daxter series is a better power/capability comparison example. When you consider what the PS2 did with 3D environments with THAT wide a range of rendering savvy and such, condensing all that power into a mere 2D plain does make stages like Green Hill in Forces plausible on the PS2.

Not once did you mention that it was "your opinion", ANd you definitely worded it as fact back there. You essentially admit that you based that leg of the debate on strictly subjective matters in face of facts.

Like I said before, you can't get out of every misstep you make just by saying "it's my opinion".

It's also a matter of how you word stuff. So no, I'm not inclined to believe that when you essentially presented it as a fact and therefore submitted it to the critiquing table.

(Oy vey, sorry for the late response, had to get my rest last night).

Since we're still talking about the power of consoles, to get everyone on the same page, the power rankings look like this:

Xbox > GCN > PS2 > DC

PS3 > 360 > Wii (However, the 360 was easier to develop for than the PS3, which cause a lot of multiplatform games to run better on it)

Scorpio > PS4 Pro > PS4 > XBO S > XBO > Switch > Wii U

Force won't run on last gen systems without major downgrades. The Switch version will also have to be downgraded, though not as much. The biggest worry is the framerate being dropped down to 30 similar to Snake Pass, I think. Image quality, resolution, view distance and stuff like that are almost definitely going to take hits.

14 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

I'd be really dissapointed if Dimps have been axed completely. I think a lot of great stuff came out of the Advance trilogy and Rush games.

3aa3c999-3ddc-4e69-bf29-7705cee7526d.thumb.png.0e1830dd20c84a5dd18b033152baf317.png

Also, after seeing this mockup by Paul Veer (go follow @pietepiet on Twitter 'n stuff) I can't help but itch for a new game in the style of Sonic Advance 2 à la Sonic Mania.

Come on SEGA, make it happen! ?

I wouldn't trust Dimps to make a Sonic game half as good as Advance 2 anymore. That image is nice looking, though I hate the black outlines on the scenery. IT gives things a fake look.

• Thumbs Up 9