Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

29 minutes ago, Zippo said:

All I have to add to this is, THANK FUCKING GOODNESS for Sonic Mania. I get a stupid smile on my face every time I think about that fucking game and how much love and care is going into it. I can't and don't even want to imagine a world in where Forces is the only game we get this year. 

Must be nice. As someone who doesn't really care about Mania, Forces is the only thing I have that interests me.

Someone needs to give Forces Green Hill's track the same treatment that Splash Hill got in this arrangement here. Seriously.

Edit: The above post that was done at the same time as mine is also good. Heck, I don't get why they couldn't just make the track the same way they did the Classic themes from Generations from the Adventure and Modern Eras.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, HedgehogBR said:

The original music is good, but they have to change the instruments like this guy did.

Yeah, the actual melody is fine. The instrumentation is what's off.

2 minutes ago, HedgehogBR said:

The original music is good, but they have to change the instruments like this guy did.

I think that synth is even worse than the original one, but yeah, changing the instruments would be an improvement.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel as though I'm perhaps in the minority here, but: bugger me if I'm not super-excited for Forces.

I adored Unleashed and Generations, so another game in their style is exactly what I wanted out of the 25th anniversary game. Looks like Sonic Team have delivered.

Seriously. Classic be damned, Green Hill be damned (come on, folks, it's one stage)

It's been a good 6 years since the last great Sonic title in my view, so I'm totally on board.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's a more muted, but much less offensive version of the song:

It's still got that Sonic Runners, "anime" vibe going on, but it's definitely less grating on its own, even if it doesn't have much of a kick to it. Definitely not the worst melody there is, but still needs some work imo.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I don't know if an animation would really be enough, at least not for what I'd like to see out of the series. Sonic Team struggles enough with faking things that should be more mechanically deep, I'd expect they'd hear "let Sonic do this!" and decide "we'll use springs and boost pads to make Sonic do that!".

...Utopia isn't a sandbox. It's too big and too easy to get lost in to be an ideal level, but there's a clear beginning and end and a reasonable sense of direction most of the time.

I maybe used the term too liberally, but that's still the core problem with it. With more focus it might be fine, but honestly at this point what I want from a 3D Sonic game is the current boost gameplay more refined. I'm honestly not impressed by the movement in Utiopia and what I have seen of it just doesn't look all that fun.

It probably doesn't look all that fun because all it has to show is Sonic's movement...

Momentum. That's fine.

3 hours ago, RLS Legacy said:

I feel as though I'm perhaps in the minority here, but: bugger me if I'm not super-excited for Forces.

I adored Unleashed and Generations, so another game in their style is exactly what I wanted out of the 25th anniversary game. Looks like Sonic Team have delivered.

Seriously. Classic be damned, Green Hill be damned (come on, folks, it's one stage)

It's been a good 6 years since the last great Sonic title in my view, so I'm totally on board.

I know exactly what you mean. It's been a long drought between Sonic Generations and Sonic Forces. Worse then what happened with a lack of major Sonic games in the Saturn Era; even if Sonic R was still cool in its own way. So I'm really looking forward to Sonic Forces, it's the game I've been waiting six years to play.

3 hours ago, Zippo said:

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, guys. I'm from an older generation that grew up with the classics,many of us here are, and we get that exact same spark of joy when we see Mania in it's beautiful, Saturn-esque glory. I hope for everyone's sake, that all of us down on Forces are proven wrong when it's released. No one here ever wants a game to be bad. 

I'm from the older generation as well; Sonic 1 on the Sega Master System was my first Sonic game. So I understand the full well the appeal of Sonic Mania, as a truly phenomenal retro throwback game. With that said, I've also supported Sonic games through the jump to 3D in the Dreamcast era and beyond, I still agree with what I thought back then in 1998: that Sonic needs to move into 3D to remain at the peak of the industry. A good 2D game alone will never be enough, not anymore now that the jump to 3D gaming has been successfully made. I've seen many different takes on Sonic's 3D gameplay and I think that Sonic Team finally got it perfect with Sonic Unleashed's 2.5D boost gameplay. I see Sonic Forces as a direct continuation of that idea, all I want all 3D Sonic games going forward to look like this.

Someone needs to give Forces Green Hill's track the same treatment that Splash Hill got in this arrangement here. Seriously.

Edit: The above post that was done at the same time as mine is also good. Heck, I don't get why they couldn't just make the track the same way they did the Classic themes from Generations from the Adventure and Modern Eras.

Personally, I prefer this arrangement.

I'm gonna be "that guy" here and say...

No matter WHAT you compose the Green Hill track with from the Forces video...

It's going to suck.

The composition is just bad. It's "generic energy" basically, it's "empty hype" trying to pump you up way too hard.

It's like...

"BLAM bi@$&es!!! Here's Classic!! RUN!!"

...I just don't like that track no matter how it's played.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's going to suck.

The composition is just bad. It's "generic energy" basically, it's "empty hype" trying to pump you up way too hard.

It's like...

The track itself is nice in my opinion. But the dying cats as instruments is what makes it sound garbage,

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's going to suck.

It's like...

The track sucks agreed. It's why ibwisg they left classic out. For a world in chaos it's way to cheery and pretty of a song

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

The track sucks agreed. It's why ibwisg they left classic out. For a world in chaos it's way to cheery and pretty of a song

Green Hill Zone in general is simply way too against what the game is trying to sell. For what reason they avoided going all out CD with the concept of a dying zone is beyond me but as I've said before, it's very telling how wary they seem to be and clueless they likely are about what seemingly is and isn't too dark for Sonic.

When you think about it, in general the Genesis trilogy including CD was as dark as, if not DARKER than games post the Genesis era. Scrap Brain, the whole Death Egg stuff, CD as a whole revolving it's story and bad futures.

When you take into account the general plots/locations it's possible you could say Classic Sonic is indeed darker than Modern Sonic as we've never had a CD type of 3D title, the closest being the whole planet destruction in Unleashed but... Hey...

(Skipping Shadow folks, and who really wants to bother with 06?)

So what's going on in Green Hill just puzzles me. They have gone dark as night with Classic Sonic back on the Genesis, and now here we are with the villains supposed industrialization of the world causing desertification yet everything's lush, the sky is blue, the music is...

Well, even the badniks look "softer" if you will compared to their Generations counterparts.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, GuyWithThePie said:

Personally, I prefer this arrangement.

Naw naw naw man...

And for the 90's at heart...

When cats sound good.

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Green Hill Zone in general is simply way too against what the game is trying to sell. For what reason they avoided going all out CD with the concept of a dying zone is beyond me but as I've said before, it's very telling how wary they seem to be and clueless they likely are about what seemingly is and isn't too dark for Sonic.

If Eggman got control over 99% of the world, would the world instantly become like the Bad Future of Little Planet or would that take some time? Little Planet doesn't have any...resistance.

He changed the entire world before using Chaos Control in Advance 3, but not all of his "empires" were factories. "Sunset Hill Zone" was "Green Hill" he himself created and it still had nature in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

There's only one true Splash Hill rendition in my book

bring back Sketchhog, Sega, please :c

Gotta... Go... Zzzz....

*SNURK!!*

W-Whud I miss?! Where's the spring?! Boost pad?!

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, HedgehogBR said:

It's all about tastes here, but after listening the new 'Green Hill' song for the 20th time or so, I still can't get into it. It is rather annoying, honestly. Somehow I don't see it becoming a favorite of mine, for its lack of charm and catchiness, like most opening level songs have: OG Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Angel Island, Palmtree Panic (JP)...

I actually like the dissonance between the music and what's going on with the zone. Whether it was intentional or not, who knows, but I like the idea of the typical cheerful grass zone music playing even when said grassland is turning into a desert. Bonus points if there's more acts and they get progressively more serious or something, but I wouldn't say even that much is required to justify it.

It'd just be nice if the track itself, uhh, sounded better

• Thumbs Up 7