Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

A trope isn't a character, that trope doesn't work with out the character behind it.  You just described a plot device. 

He isn't what he always was, shadow has been always a character

He is now, or at least in boom, not that

There the same thing. And Shadow is the nominal/anti hero trope that works in a fiction to add contrasts and subversion to a plot or a direct comparison to the hero,since this is a comedy action show. Shadow is the answer to sonic the hedgehog  and sonic boom being having little intention to be funny or light hearted, but still cool and equal to the main hero in his own way.

It's fun, just like dragonball is fun and sonic takes heavily from dragonball. Shadow being an assholes consistent with his main character flaw in cannon of being full of himsef, a brutal fighter and someone who has no patience for lesser people than him.

2 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Hades really was the best part of the show for me too. Even on Yugioh I love Kaiba and hate Yugi. On Pokemon I kinda like Team Rocket and hate Ash. On Samurai Jack I like Jack just fine... I really like Aku on it too, maybe even little more then Jack. On Shantae I love both Shantae & Risky Boots about the same. On Mario I dislike Mario but I like Peach & Bowser... So it really just depends with me... I don't always hate the heroes/prefer the villains in stories... regardless I do often have a thing for cartoony over the top villains more often and tend to dislike obnoxious type heroes where the story panders to them.

I do feel Sonic Boom overdoes it with Eggman though. Most of my least favorite episodes had him as the focus, but the main plot just wasn’t funny or intersting. Some were great though, but it gets old to see so many Eggman episodes in a row. Season 2 started off great by giving the other characters more focus, but it eventually started putting too much focus on Eggman again.

I did enjoy some Eggman episodes from this season, like “Don’t Make Me Angry”, but most of them felt kind of boring or too predictable, like “Inn Sanity”, “Mister Eggman”, “The Haunted Lair”, and “Chain Letter.” It would have been nice to see the others get more episodes, instead of airing 5 Eggman episodes in a row, even the last 5 episodes of the series were Eggman focused.

I mostly did enjoy these last 5 episodes, but I still wish Amy, Sticks, and Knuckles had a few more episodes for themselves, or more episodes that focused on two or more characters. The oversaturation of Eggman gets old after a while.

• Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

The oversaturation of Eggman gets old after a while.

Someone needs to tell the writers this. I don't see many people talk about the flaws to them on Twitter.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

You know people complain about shadow being ooc when he is acting less overdeveloped(same with tails and knuckles) but don't act alarmed when the even more simple characters act more than they used to be the previous games or stories.

Sonic acts like a frat boy with adhd and actually varies in being a jerk to being like a boy scout

Eggman acts sinister and is like a bald hitler on one instance, acts like a manchild type of clown villain the next.

Amy acts like a obsesive stalker but it's changes from being just a extreme tsundere to a actually sane and mature friend who brings the boys and redeemed villain togethers.

But no one complains about them. Just Shadow acting like a sonic character at his most casual characteristics, just like everyone else. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SpongicX said:

I mostly did enjoy these last 5 episodes, but I still wish Amy, Sticks, and Knuckles had a few more episodes for themselves, or more episodes that focused on two or more characters. The oversaturation of Eggman gets old after a while.

YeaaAhh Dr.Eggman seems to get a lot of favoritism on Boom. The writers seem to enjoy writing him more then the other characters + he remains in character better. Sometimes I feel like the writers don’t know really how to write the other characters… they just don’t feel as inspired on then hero cast, and it’s a shame. There’s a reason many fans of Boom say that Eggman is the best part of the show to them, and can’t say I disagree! but it kinda feels like a fail to me that is the results. Is it really so hard to write lovable heroes? Writers in general for most of the canon Sonic media often seem to have trouble with it for some unknown reason!.

I love Sticks! … sadly however I find most of the episodes she stars in as the focus to be really bad. It’s almost like they have no clue how to write her outside of writing her as a minor character on the normal episodes. Amy… sigh. I want to love Amy, I love her designs and even some of the other concepts of her character, but no execution of any personality they given her on Boom or even the normal Sonic Team game series has ever appealed to me. On Boom she acts like a naggy social activist and controlling childhood friend to Sonic & gang… Pretty much the opposite of a appealing personality in my book. I don’t mind the idea of her being a sweet hearted girl who wants to help people… but that idea has to be done in a MUCH better way then the Boom team has chosen for it to work right… But considering the Boom Team were aiming for a sitcom action cartoon… seems they purposely were trying to give all the main characters flat stereotypical obnoxious personalities just to make it easier to create cheap laughs and effortless comedy for the story writing with seemingly little to no interest in making the hero cast emotionally endearing for us. Which is pretty normal for short comedy cartoons lately.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

YeaaAhh Dr.Eggman seems to get a lot of favoritism on Boom. The writers seem to enjoy writing him more then the other characters + he remains in character better. Sometimes I feel like the writers don’t know really how to write the other characters… they just don’t feel as inspired on then hero cast, and it’s a shame. There’s a reason many fans of Boom say that Eggman is the best part of the show to them, and can’t say I disagree! but it kinda feels like a fail to me that is the results. Is it really so hard to write lovable heroes? Writers in general for most of the canon Sonic media often seem to have trouble with it for some unknown reason!.

I love Sticks! … sadly however I find most of the episodes she stars in as the focus to be really bad. It’s almost like they have no clue how to write her outside of writing her as a minor character on the normal episodes. Amy… sigh. I want to love Amy, I love her designs and concepts of her character, but no execution of any personality they given her on Boom or even the normal Sonic Team game series has ever appealed to me. On Boom she acts like a naggy social activist and controlling childhood friend to Sonic & gang… Pretty much the opposite of a appealing personality in my book. I don’t mind the idea of her being a sweet hearted girl who wants to help people… but that idea has to be done in a MUCH better way then the Boom team has chosen for it to work right… But considering the Boom Team were aiming for a sitcom action cartoon… seems they purposely were trying to give all the main characters flat stereotypical obnoxious personalities just to make it easier to create cheap laughs and effortless comedy for the story writing with seemingly little to no interest in making the hero cast emotionally endearing for us. Which is pretty normal for short comedy cartoons lately.

She seemed likeable in the earlier episodes

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

There the same thing.

No its not, by definition.

a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.  

and more importantly 

a common or overused theme or device

That by definition, Webster definition is not a character, they specifically use terms like theme and device to specifically point out that a trope is a description for a literary device and not a character. And when characters are broken down into tropes they stop becoming characters become obvious literary devices, or plot devices as I said. Not people things to move the plot forward. But on some level Technically speaking everything in a narrative is that however, the role of writing to create worlds and characters that invest you beyond their barebones technically purpose. 

If you are looking at a character and all you see is a trope, and you don't know who they are as a character , usually its a bad characters going through the motions to move the plot on. Hey guess who that described in the season finale, oh yeah, SHADOW. 

And Shadow is the nominal/anti hero trope that works in a fiction to add contrasts and subversion to a plot or a direct comparison to the hero,since this is a comedy action show.

No, shadow is a character who happens to fall into that description. Also if he doesn't fit the theme you are trying to write , maybe don't include him. 

Shadow is the answer to sonic the hedgehog  and sonic boom being having little intention to be funny or light hearted, but still cool and equal to the main hero in his own way.

That doesn't really have anything to do with anything, and doesn't make sense in this context really 

It's fun, just like dragonball is fun and sonic takes heavily from dragonball.

One, no normal sonic takes from dragonball. Sonic Boom takes more from TMNT, MLP and team based children shows and the like. Its why there is a greater focus on teamwork and character roles. 

Two , even in mainline sonic where shadow and the biolizard is an obvious allegory for android 17 and cell respectively gives shadow a character. 

So not only are you incorrect about your assertions about what Boom is, mainline sonic dismantles your point by actually giving shadow a character. 

Shadow being an assholes consistent with his main character flaw in cannon of being full of himsef,

No, because in the main series, he's an asshole for a reason, when he is a jerk. He has a backstory, and context, to explain his character. Like a good character. And also he often isn't a jerk, he's a harsh guy with a heart of gold and a lot of his flaws is less cockyness and an unknowingness of who he is and where he's going. His flaw is what he thinks of himself he thinks of himself a weapon. Its apparent you seem to not know much about shadow's character

a brutal fighter and someone who has no patience for lesser people than him.

You described knuckles. 

Congratulations. 

• Nice Smile 1

http://spongicx.tumblr.com/post/167437586618/spongicxs-top-top-worst-sonic-boom-season-2

Here's a list of the top 10 episodes of season 2 I did not like very much. 

Despite this list  of episodes I did not like, I was still mostly impressed with Sonic Boom season 2. Keep in mind how these 10 episodes I listed were the only episodes of season 2 I did not like. There were 52 episodes this season, and I liked the other 42 episodes from this season. 42 good episodes vs 10 bad episodes is quite an improvement. In season one, there were at least 20 episodes I could say I didn't like, yet for season 2, there were only 10 I didn't like.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my thoughts, I know I am a kind of guy who has too much to type or say about this show, but I rarely ever see anyone talk about this show in such detail, so it gets me a bit energized to want to talk about it myself in great detail. Despite disliking 10 episodes from this season, I still really enjoyed this season. I had a lot of fun tuning into the show each Saturday, and sharing my thoughts on each episode after they aired. I hope a season 3 happens, so I can possibly see more good episodes, and share my thoughts on them.  I really hope this show can continue to bring more episodes to brighten up my day, and bring less episodes that brought me down like the ones on this list.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

No its not, by definition.

and more importantly 

That by definition, Webster definition is not a character, they specifically use terms like theme and device to specifically point out that a trope is a description for a literary device and not a character. And when characters are broken down into tropes they stop becoming characters become obvious literary devices, or plot devices as I said. Not people things to move the plot forward. But on some level Technically speaking everything in a narrative is that however, the role of writing to create worlds and characters that invest you beyond their barebones technically purpose. 

If you are looking at a character and all you see is a trope, and you don't know who they are as a character , usually its a bad characters going through the motions to move the plot on. Hey guess who that described in the season finale, oh yeah, SHADOW. 

No, shadow is a character who happens to fall into that description. Also if he doesn't fit the theme you are trying to write , maybe don't include him. 

That doesn't really have anything to do with anything, and d78 oesn't make sense in this context really 

One, no normal sonic takes from dragonball. Sonic Boom takes more from TMNT, MLP and team based children shows and the like. Its why there is a greater focus on teamwork and character roles. 

Two , even in mainline sonic where shadow and the biolizard is an obvious allegory for android 17 and cell respectively gives shadow a character. 

So not only are you incorrect about your assertions about what Boom is, mainline sonic dismantles your point by actually giving shadow a character. 

No, because in the main series, he's an asshole for a reason, when he is a jerk. He has a backstory, and context, to explain his character. Like a good character. And also he often isn't a jerk, he's a harsh guy with a heart of gold and a lot of his flaws is less cockyness and an unknowingness of who he is and where he's going. His flaw is what he thinks of himself he thinks of himself a weapon. Its apparent you seem to not know much about shadow's character

You described knuckles. 

Congratulations. 

TROPE on the interwebs really refers to an often overused plot device. It can also be described as another variation on the same theme. TV shows, movies, comics, games, anime', & books are full of tropes & many rabid fan-sites now name & track said tropes with a self-explanatory title for each one.

-Urban Dictionary

Shadow isn't just a reasonable jerk, hes a selfish jerk naturally. Haven' you played any of his games, hes a arrogant self absorbed jerk who looks down on his opponents and is a loner because of it. Shadow has said he is the ultimate life orm as a statement of his pride in himself and has stated he, your just taking instances of 06 to your own personal cannon of shadow

Dude go look up the stuff you say is true and see how you aren't close to making sense.

I'm done, think what you want.

15 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Shadows is being what he always is, a anti hero that brings rule of cool and fights the rival for fanservice. That' something clear and actually unique, he is a contrast to sonic while subverting  the shows typical good vs bad comedy by breaking character and forcing the tone of the series to work with his character.

Thats actually a good character trope.

Being only their in a show or game just for the sole purpose to be a fanservice makes you not a good character. That just makes Shadow more a decoration than anything else. Just something nice to look at.

Other villains serve more of a purpose: Being funny (Hades, Negaduck, Dr. Cortex, Lord Hater), being a major threat (Azula, Aku, The Joker, HIM) or are at least interesting to watch. Shadow at this point is non of it. Non of the Sonic characters are. Their just, well, like you said, fanservice. A decoration, a little extra topping on your pizza.  

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Swing said:

Being only their in a show or game just for the sole purpose to be a fanservice makes you not a good character. That just makes Shadow more a decoration than anything else. Just something nice to look at.

Other villains serve more of a purpose: Being funny (Hades, Negaduck, Dr. Cortex, Lord Hater), being a major threat (Azula, Aku, The Joker, HIM) or are at least interesting to watch. Shadow at this point is non of it. Non of the Sonic characters are. Their just, well, like you said, fanservice. A decoration, a little extra topping on your pizza.  

Honestly at this point, one could argue Lyric was a more interesting villain (at least in RoL) since he had a tragic motivation; it just wasn't expanded upon much.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Honestly at this point, one could argue Lyric was a more interesting villain (at least in RoL) since he had a tragic motivation; it just wasn't expanded upon much.

If anything, it was shattered crystal that made him a bad villain. The beginning made it look like Amy was in terrible danger, because he knocked Amy out and took her away. It was implied he was draining her brain of info he needed to destroy the world, yet all he did was trap her in some ball, and demand she tell him what he wants to know.

What was the point of putting a mindwashing device on Amy, if he never bothered pulling the switch? He clearly had Shadow mind washed throughout the first half, so why was he wasting his time arguing with Amy? He was a fat joke on Shattered Crystal, I was at least more eager to take him down in Rise of Lyric, I lost all sense of Lyric being a threat, when I realized he did none of the threatening things he claimed he was using Amy for, he lost all his intimidation, when you realize Amy is fine, and is treating him like a joke.

He didn’t even come close to destroying the world, at least Rise of Lyric had Sonic and pals stop him moments away from getting rid of all life  in the world. It may have been anti climatic, but it still lead somewhere, compared to the joke of a villain he was in Shattered Crystal.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

If anything, it was shattered crystal that made him a bad villain. The beginning made it look like Amy was in terrible danger, because he knocked Amy out and took her away. It was implied he was draining her brain of info he needed to destroy the world, yet all he did was trap her in some ball, and demand she tell him what he wants to know.

What was the point of putting a mindwashing device on Amy, if he never bothered pulling the switch? He clearly had Shadow mind washed throughout the first half, so why was he wasting his time arguing with Amy? He was a fat joke on Shattered Crystal, I was at least more eager to take him down in Rise of Lyric, I lost all sense of Lyric being a threat, when I realized he did none of the threatening things he claimed he was using Amy for, he lost all his intimidation, when you realize Amy is fine, and is treating him like a joke.

He didn’t even come close to destroying the world, at least Rise of Lyric had Sonic and pals stop him moments away from getting rid of all life  in the world. It may have been anti climatic, but it still lead somewhere, compared to the joke of a villain he was in Shattered Crystal.

Yeah, SC had the worst writing out of all of the Boom games.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

This is a reason why I see Lyric as one of the... I wouldn't say better villains, but one of the more thought out ones. They at least gave him his own backstory and his own reasons for his actions. He was actually very interesting in concept, but very badly handled in the execution. Just like all of them. 

I wonder why Sega always have to create such poorly handled villains. Mephilies, Infinite, Shadow, Black Doom their all the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Swing said:

This is a reason why I see Lyric as one of the... I wouldn't say better villain, but one of the more thought out ones. They at least gave him his own backstory and his own reasons for his actions. He was actually very interesting in concept, but very badly handled in the execution. Just like all of them. 

What's sad is that Lyric could've turned into a pretty complex villain like Merlina.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's... actually a pretty good number for Boomerang standards. Means quite a few people are still watching the show.

Just a shame that IT WON'T BE ON THE SCHEDULE ANYMORE.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/13/2017 at 10:31 AM, Swing said:

I wonder why Sega always have to create such poorly handled villains. Mephilies, Infinite, Shadow, Black Doom their all the same.

Easy. They have an obsession with making them the edgy monster that Eggman isn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been wondering of there's way to decay Boom Shadow without outright fighting him. He doesn't seem thst intelligent, so maybe Team Sonic could try to outsmart him strategically. 

I would like to see them try to incorporate Shadow in a slice of life comedy episode, and not just having him for big battles, it gets boring after a while. I don't think there is a mandate against that.

• Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

I would like to see them try to incorporate Shadow in a slice of life comedy episode, and not just having him for big battles, it gets boring after a while. I don't think there is a mandate against that.

Imagine him ordering from Meh Burger.

29 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Imagine him ordering from Meh Burger.

It could be even funny if there was an episode where Eggman is jealous over how Shadow is a greater villain than him. Imagine seeing Shadow walking into Meh Burger, which causes people to panic. Dave even manages to make sure he gets Shadow’s order correctly, to not cause any trouble. Meanwhile, Eggman tries doing the same, yet no one takes him seriously.

We haven’t really seen any episodes dedicated to Eggman being topped by a better villain. We had instances where Eggman fought against other villains, like Nominatus or Barker, yet never saw an episode where Eggman realizes his evil is nothing compared to another villain. 

Shadow would be the perfect candidate for an episode like that, especially after how he became a full on villain in the season 2 finale. It wouldn’t hurt to see more humorous episodes that incorporate Shadow some how. The closest we got to a funny moment from Shadow wasn’t even Shadow himself, it was just Morpho randomly turning into him.

There are many funny things they could do with Shadow, like make an episode where Mark decides he’s no longer Sonic’s biggest fan, and is now Shadow’s biggest fan. What if Mark found a way to trap Shadow, and Shadow is left humiliated and annoyed, to the point of begging Sonic for help? Imagine Shadow being forced to read fan fictions, and Shadow says “Oh come on! I do not use profanity everytime I get hit!” He could even question why he’s driving a motorcycle, or using weapons in these fan fictions, and claim how he’s fast and strong enough without them.

• Thumbs Up 5