Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

I know i'm usually down on sonic boom.

That was alright, not perfect. They kinda of throw away shadow's potential to pad out the plot, but eh. That was alright. 

Eggman was pretty funny in this one, also I guess earth 3 dark eggman, or... darker eggman apparently lives in purple sky jojo land?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Overall, I really enjoyed the season finale. The action was great, and there was some good humor in there as well. I’m also thankful they aired both parts at once. I probably would have liked it less if they decided to wait until next week to air part 2.

Part 1 mostly was filler, but it had some funny moments, and got a lot better towards the end. Eggman decides he wants to make a video game, in order to become famous. He tries setting up fights, so he can motion capture Sonic and pals, and digitally place himself over their moves, to make himself look cooler. When his plans fail, he decides to try getting Shadow to get into a fight with Sonic, for better motion data, but Shadow refuses to work with Eggman again. Eggman then shows edited footage of Sonic talking trash about Shadow, and Shadow ends up falling for it, and vows to make Sonic pay. 

Shadow then attacks Knuckles, Tails, Sticks, and Amy. Amy desperately calls Sonic for help. Sonic arrives, but gets beaten the crap out of by Shadow, and the episode ends with a cliff hanger (along with a recycled sound clip of Knuckles claiming how much he hates cliff hangers.)

Part 2 starts off with Sonic getting up, and he and Shadow get into an action packed fight, involving a lot of running, chasing, punching, kicking, and spin attacks. Eventually, Eggman gets enough footage, and flees back home to get to work on his game. Sonic eventually realizes Eggman set Shadow up, and explains. Shadow is furious, and heads off to destroy Eggman. When Eggman sees Shadow storming into his lair, he quickly flees. Eggman approaches Morpho, and borrows Morpho’s portal box from the episode “Where Have All The Sonics Gone” Eggman ends up in the alternate dimension where Lord Eggman previously ruled over. Eggman tricks Lord Eggman into stepping through the portal back to his own world, while Eggman decides to hide in this new dimension.

Meanwhile, Sonic and pals are recovering from their fight with Shadow, until Lord Eggman shows up. Lord Eggman pulls out some kind of lightsaber like weapon. Sonic gets into an entertaining fight with Lord Eggman. Eventually, Shadow shows up, and tries attacking lord Eggman, but Lord Eggman pulls out a portal box and explains how the other Eggman is in another dimension. Sonic and Shadow grab the portal box, and jump through to see what Eggman is up to. Sonic tells his friends to keep an eye on Lord Eggman. As Sonic and Shadow arrive in the alternate dimension, they find out Eggman upgraded the Metal Sonic of that universe, and uses Metal Sonic to attack Sonic and Shadow. The fighting gets out of control, and eventually causes the portal box to open up, causing Sonic, Shadow, Metal Sonic, and Eggman to end up back in Sonic’s dimension.

Sonic’s pals ended up tying up Lord Eggman, so he doesn’t get away, but then Metal Sonic appears, and they fight back. Amy eventually gets knocked out by Metal Sonic, and Metal Sonic is about to kill her, but Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles use their enerbeams to hold Metal Sonic back, as Sticks runs in and kills Metal Sonic with her staff, by piercing it through his chest piece. Shadow then reveals that he has gotten fed up with this world, and reveals that while Sonic and pals were fighting, he ended up kidnapping the two Eggmans, and have them hidden someplace. Tails points out how having two Eggmans from other worlds in the same dimension could cause the universe to be destroyed, and Shadow says “exactly!” Shadow vanishes, and Sonic and pals realize they need to get Lord Eggman back into his old dimension, before the world ends. Tails decides to repair Metal Sonic, so he can use Metal Sonic’s tracking beacon to locate Eggman. They find Eggman, and quickly send Lord Eggman back. Shadow returns and mentions how he’s surprised they managed to stop the universe from being destroyed. Shadow vows how this isn’t over, and mentions how they’ll fight again soon on his own terms. Eggman then gets excited over being able to get back to finishing his game, but Orbot mentioned how a lightning storm destroyed the game data. Eggman then says “Well, there’s always next season.” And the episode abruptly ends.

Overall I liked the finale, but it did have a few weak parts, a very rushed ending This summary was long enough, so I’ll make a separate article for what worked, and what didn’t work in this episode for me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

Tails points out how having two Eggmans from other worlds in the same dimension could cause the universe to be destroyed, and Shadow says “exactly!”

Wow, that's a new low even for Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 3

This definitely wasn’t as cool as how Beast Wars II ends. 

Sonic could have brought that princess out of the video game he wanted to (Blaze).

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, fight was cool but don't like the baddass decay of Knuckes(whose archie self can keep up with Shadow) and I don't like how cliche Shadow is.He has no motivation what so ever.

3 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Ok, fight was cool but don't like the baddass decay of Knuckes(whose archie self can keep up with Shadow) and I don't like how cliche Shadow is.He has no motivation what so ever.

Yeah, Shadow's characterization is pretty shallow in Boom

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ShadowSJG said:

I mean like he has a motivation, his " honor" which is played for jokes. but they kinda just... throw it away because they needed a plot. 

I mean yeah you are right, despite Archie knuckles admitting that after one fight he was tired and shadow was currently doing a 3rd fight, and that might not have ended in a win for him. He still hold his own for how short that fight was. 

On the other hand shadow's my favorite character and he bodied everyone

So I don't know how to feel here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are my thoughts on what I liked, and what I didn't like about the episode.

Pros:
The fight of Shadow VS Sonic was much better than season 1. Season 1 was mostly Sonic getting his ass kicked by Shadow, followed by Sonic defeating him, just because Eggman blinded Shadow with a selfie, which lead to Sonic homing attack him. We actually see Sonic and Shadow doing a lot of attacks and chasing, it was really entertaining.

Morpho's cameo was pretty funny.

The fight of Sonic VS Lord Eggman was great.

Metal Sonic was finally put to good use in this series, the fight of Team Sonic VS Metal Sonic was exciting

I liked the concept of the world ending, because Shadow took both Eggmans, and hid them

Cons:

The video game making plot from part 1 really was unnecessary, and did not contribute well to the plots at hand.

Shadow's excuse for wanting to fight Sonic was incredibly pathetic. The video Eggman made was badly edited, yet Shadow somehow fell for it. 

I did not like how Amy was handled in this episode. I've already stated how season 1 and 2 seems to under use Amy a lot, and usually makes her the butt of the joke. She's always the one who gets knocked out first. That's all she was used for in this episode. She was the first one knocked out by Metal Sonic, she had no moments to shine in this episode. I felt everyone had great scenes in the episode, but Amy wasn't given anything to work with. Everyone but Amy contributed to taking down Metal Sonic. We saw Sonic fight Shadow, Lord Eggman, and Metal Sonic, we saw Tails fix Metal Sonic to save the world, we saw Sticks kill Metal Sonic, and we saw Knuckles destroy most of Eggman's minions throughout the episode, yet this episode made Amy look so useless. She barely fought Metal Sonic, and was taken out way too soon. Season 1 did the same thing, it had her be the first to be knocked down, and it bugs me how they did the same thing in this finale. Amy barely had any starring episodes this season, so I was hoping to see her do more during the finale. Amy wasn't annoying in this episode, the problem was that she wasn't given much to do. Sticks was barely in the episode either, but she still had that epic moment of piercing Metal Sonic in the chest, and saving Amy's life. It would have been neat to see Amy at least help fight off Lord Eggman,  but she was given nothing to do in this episode. I'm so sick of the show not giving Amy any epic moments.

The ending was a let down. The idea of the world ending was cool, but they did nothing to make it look like the world was ending. All of a sudden, it starts raining and thundering, and Amy shouts "oh no, the universe is collapsing" Really? It just looks like a storm to me... They should have done more to make it look like the world was really ending. They could have had the sky turn red, and had the ground tear a part or something. While the storm looked neat, it didn't make it look like the world was ending. The ending felt so rushed, it was bulding up to Sonic and pals looking for Eggman before time ran out, but it got over with so quickly. Shadow's response to being defeated felt very underwhelming as well. All he did was congratulate them, and repeat his last quote from the season 1 finale.

I still really liked the season finale, but they definitely should have cut some of the filler out from part 1, and should have focused more on a better reason for how Eggman tricked Shadow into fighting Sonic. Everything between Shadow fighting Sonic to Shadow plotting to destroy the world were the highlights of the episode, but everything before and after could have used a lot more work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@SpongicX Kind of disappointing to hear about Amy, especially given the uncertainty of a third season. She really gets the short end of the stick often since she only got one starring role this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, it doesn't bother me as much, but yeah, it seems Amy doesn't do a lot in the show.

She still gets her moments, though. We can at least say that.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

Honestly, it doesn't bother me as much, but yeah, it seems Amy doesn't do a lot in the show.

Like in Give Bees A Chance, Don't make Angry, and the D-Fekt episode; though what's bothering some people is that she did nothing to make her stand out in the season finale which meant to be this special episode. I could be down for another episode written by Cindy, but yeah I'm hoping that there's another season and Amy's used a lot more there.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

I will admit, despite how useless they made Amy in this episode. I still liked the suspense of Metal Sonic trying to kill her, only for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles to desperately hold Metal Sonic back with their enerbeams. The episode almost made it look like Amy was going to get up and use her enerbeam to hold Metal Sonic back as well, but then Sticks swooped in and killed Metal Sonic. I would have loved that scene more if Amy got up, activated her Enerbeam to pull back Metal Sonic, followed by seeing Sticks kill Metal Sonic. That would have made the scene a lot better.

I swear, the beginning of part 1 made it look like Sonic and Amy basically are dating. One minute Sonic is having a friendly race with Tails, until Amy calls in and cries how there's an emergency. She claims how she's making a baked Alaska, but is out of eggs, the fact that Sonic was so happy to end the race, just to pick up some eggs for Amy was kind of hilarious. Let's face it, they're dating. Why would Sonic be so eager to quit in the middle of a race he's winning, just to get eggs for a friend? Sonic didn't look annoyed either, he looked happy to help her out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

She claims how she's making a baked Alaska, but is out of eggs, the fact that Sonic was so happy to end the race, just to pick up some eggs for Amy was kind of hilarious. Let's face it, they're dating. Why would Sonic be so eager to quit in the middle of a race he's winning, just to get eggs for a friend? Sonic didn't look annoyed either, he looked happy to help her out. 

Ok, that is pretty sweet. At least, there's Sonamy fuel plus it was a pretty wholesome moment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, this episode had a lot of awesome moments. This was definitely season finale material, and I appreciate the effort they put into making this enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 2

There is a funny detail I missed upon my first viewing of this episode.

During the scene where there's a crowd who want to buy the new Tommy Thunder Video Game, we see Mark the Tapir as the cashier, and he tells everyone how there's enough copies to go around. However, Tommy lies that they're in limited supply, and encourages everyone to push and shove to get their copies before they're sold out.

tumblr_ozalb4Zzqw1rhnd8ro1_1280.jpg

The next time we see Mark in the episode, he's wearing a neck brace.

tumblr_ozalb4Zzqw1rhnd8ro3_1280.jpg

How did I miss that detail? That's actually kind of funny, yet messed up. It really portrays how violent customers get over limited supply in games. It's funny, because we don't actually see much of the customers going nuts, we just see them get excited after Tommy tells them how it's in limited supply, yet the next scene with Mark really implies how violent the crowd got off screen. 

6 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

There is a funny detail I missed upon my first viewing of this episode.

During the scene where there's a crowd who want to buy the new Tommy Thunder Video Game, we see Mark the Tapir as the cashier, and he tells everyone how there's enough copies to go around. However, Tommy lies that they're in limited demand, so push and shove to get yours. The next time we see Mark in the episode, he's wearing a neck brace. How did I miss that detail, that's actually kind of funny, yet messed up. It really portrays how violent customers get over limited supply in games. It's funny, because we don't actually see much of the customers going nuts, we just see them get excited after Tommy tells them how it's in limited supply, yet the next scene with Mark really implies how violent the crowd got off screen. 

Which villagers were there?

That was awesome. The animation was significantly improved-- I daresay it was on par with the best looking parts of Sonic Generations. I loved the action scene. Shadow kicking everybody's butts was awesome even if I'm still not too keen on his characterization in Boom. I also liked Sonic's retort of "VOLCANO UNDERPANTS!" followed by a spindash when Shadow asked him if he had any last words-- I mean, that is so Sonic right there. He's put in a situation where death is imminent, so he makes the stupidest remark he can think of as a distraction and quickly counterattacks while Shadow's caught off guard. Its perfect.

I liked the idea of Eggman making his own video game. Though I don''t know why he needed Shadow specifically-- he could have just put new skins/models over his footage of Sonic and crew. I mean, maybe he would have some issues with the models stretching like a badly made Super Smash Bros moveswap mod to try to fit the animations, but even that could be solved by editing them (a genius like Eggman could pull it off). Maybe he just wanted to see Shadow again?

Speaking of characterization, I have a fan theory that Shadow is actually a pretty complicated guy (with emotional issues, hobbies, etc.) in the Boom universe, but he hides it to create an edgy, intimidating facade that he hopes prompts people to leave him alone and not upset him. He began with a strong desire to avenge somebody (maybe Maria, or this being Boom, somebody else connected to the ancients) he lost a long time ago, but he can't take it out on the people who killed that somebody because they passed away a long time ago and their legacy has long since faded away. He's a loner because he's afraid to trust others but he won't admit it, claiming that he's better off alone. So he became something of a rebel without a cause, engaging in fights with others as they presented the opportunity to but never really feeling satisfied afterwards (hence why he tends to end confrontations with "I will fight you again, this time on my terms," thus implying that the battle went out of his control or otherwise didn't leave him satisfied). And Lyric unknowingly presented the opportunity by strapping a mind control device on him, angering him deeply and causing him to attack Lyric the moment the device came off. Though these days its usually Eggman who presents the opportunity for a fight, whether Shadow wants to hear it or not. With that in mind, when it became clear that Team Sonic was not only beating him and Metal Sonic badly but utterly demolishing his excuse of being better off alone with excellent teamwork that made him feel inadequate and insecure, he needed a distraction. The two Eggmen were more than happy to provide, and so he tied them up in his house, presented it like it was his plan all along, while making sure that the two Eggman weren't too difficult to free and return to their proper dimension. [One could also interpret it as some kind of impulse suicide attempt, as Shadow suddenly realizes thanks to Team Sonic how much he's denied himself because of his quest for revenge against people who can't even hurt others anymore. But he's kept up the facade of being a tough, stoic loner for so long that he's actually forgotten who he was underneath the facade, and gets so upset at the resulting emptiness that he comes up with the quickest thing he can think of to end it all while still maintaining that facade (in that case, the Eggmen). But that's awfully dark for Sonic Boom.]

As for hobbies, I like to imagine that he secretly enjoys surfing but only does it in the dark of night because he thinks it would kill his tough guy image. Knuckles sees him sometimes from his bench on the beach but doesn't really care enough about it to report it. For whatever reason, I'm also imagining that Beth the Shrew somehow makes her way into Shadow's heart and winds up becoming really close with the guy. Of course Shadow would never admit it-- again, image-- and Beth keeps it a secret knowing that her parents wouldn't want her hanging out with Shadow, but they have fun doing science stuff, baking, and Shadow even shows Beth how to do some of his fighting moves sometimes. Amongst other secrets, he does want to talk about his feelings, but again, not good for image. Beth would listen but not really be able to offer good advice, given that she's a child and all. Amy would be really willing to listen and talk if only she knew he wanted to, and even offer some good advice. But she would take it as a cue to start talking about her feelings too, and I doubt he'd have much of value to say (or really want to converse) about anger management, talking a close friend out of the idea that Tails is secretly a robot alien double agent, or love confessions.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

That was awesome. The animation was significantly improved-- I daresay it was on par with the best looking parts of Sonic Generations. I loved the action scene. Shadow kicking everybody's butts was awesome even if I'm still not too keen on his characterization in Boom. I also liked Sonic's retort of "VOLCANO UNDERPANTS!" followed by a spindash when Shadow asked him if he had any last words-- I mean, that is so Sonic right there. He's put in a situation where death is imminent, so he makes the stupidest remark he can think of as a distraction and quickly counterattacks while Shadow's caught off guard. Its perfect.

I liked the idea of Eggman making his own video game. Though I don''t know why he needed Shadow specifically-- he could have just put new skins/models over his footage of Sonic and crew. I mean, maybe he would have some issues with the models stretching like a badly made Super Smash Bros moveswap mod to try to fit the animations, but even that could be solved by editing them (a genius like Eggman could pull it off). Maybe he just wanted to see Shadow again?

Speaking of characterization, I have a fan theory that Shadow is actually a pretty complicated guy (with emotional issues, hobbies, etc.) in the Boom universe, but he hides it to create an edgy, intimidating facade that he hopes prompts people to leave him alone and not upset him. He began with a strong desire to avenge somebody (maybe Maria, or this being Boom, somebody else connected to the ancients) he lost a long time ago, but he can't take it out on the people who killed that somebody because they passed away a long time ago and their legacy has long since faded away. He's a loner because he's afraid to trust others but he won't admit it, claiming that he's better off alone. So he became something of a rebel without a cause, engaging in fights with others as they presented the opportunity to but never really feeling satisfied afterwards (hence why he tends to end confrontations with "I will fight you again, this time on my terms," thus implying that the battle went out of his control or otherwise didn't leave him satisfied). And Lyric unknowingly presented the opportunity by strapping a mind control device on him, angering him deeply and causing him to attack Lyric the moment the device came off. Though these days its usually Eggman who presents the opportunity for a fight, whether Shadow wants to hear it or not. With that in mind, when it became clear that Team Sonic was not only beating him and Metal Sonic badly but utterly demolishing his excuse of being better off alone with excellent teamwork that made him feel inadequate and insecure, he needed a distraction. The two Eggmen were more than happy to provide, and so he tied them up in his house, presented it like it was his plan all along, while making sure that the two Eggman weren't too difficult to free and return to their proper dimension. [One could also interpret it as some kind of impulse suicide attempt, as Shadow suddenly realizes thanks to Team Sonic how much he's denied himself because of his quest for revenge against people who can't even hurt others anymore. But he's kept up the facade of being a tough, stoic loner for so long that he's actually forgotten who he was underneath the facade, and gets so upset at the resulting emptiness that he comes up with the quickest thing he can think of to end it all while still maintaining that facade (in that case, the Eggmen). But that's awfully dark for Sonic Boom.]

As for hobbies, I like to imagine that he secretly enjoys surfing but only does it in the dark of night because he thinks it would kill his tough guy image. Knuckles sees him sometimes from his bench on the beach but doesn't really care enough about it to report it. For whatever reason, I'm also imagining that Beth the Shrew somehow makes her way into Shadow's heart and winds up becoming really close with the guy. Of course Shadow would never admit it-- again, image-- and Beth keeps it a secret knowing that her parents wouldn't want her hanging out with Shadow, but they have fun doing science stuff, baking, and Shadow even shows Beth how to do some of his fighting moves sometimes. Amongst other secrets, he does want to talk about his feelings, but again, not good for image. Beth would listen but not really be able to offer good advice, given that she's a child and all. Amy would be really willing to listen and talk if only she knew he wanted to, and even offer some good advice. But she would take it as a cue to start talking about her feelings too, and I doubt he'd have much of value to say (or really want to converse) about anger management, talking a close friend out of the idea that Tails is secretly a robot alien double agent, or love confessions.

All of this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

It would be interesting if he was actually a character. But so, all we can do is guess. 

Also considering shadow just decided he wanted to blow up the universe, his hypothetical hobbies only mean so much to him

• Thumbs Up 1

The finale was super fun. The fights were amazing and humor was again spot on. I gotta admit it felt a bit rushed near the end but it was a pretty enjoyable episode(s) overall.

Sigh* Man, what a cartoon this was. If this really is the end, then I gonna miss this stupid little spin-off. Can't believe its been 4 years since it reveal. Still remember that reveal day, one the best moments of the fandoms in my opinion. I thought I would end up hating the show but I ended up liking it. Probably my second favorite sonic cartoon with Sonic Ova being number one. I wish the animation studio ( Looking forward to that Sly cooper catoon) and the writers all the luck with new projects. Hopefully whatever sonic cartoon they make next in the future will just be as entertaining as this show.

Hey, Sega, release a Blueray Set with both two seasons, I would totally buy it. Just Sayin' :P

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1