Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

7 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Lets bring the topic back to Mania

If you were going to be hired to make a 30 second or less commercial for Sonic Mania, what would the script be?

Here is Mine - "Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are back in a brand new adventure. Travel through new and old zones to defeat the evil Dr. Eggman! Sonic Mania, for Switch, PC, Xbox, and Ps4!"

"Now this is Sonic 4 as you truly imagined".

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Kintor said:

This idea that Nintendo shows greater respect to their old franchises in comparison to other publishers is largely an illusion.

Nintendo franchises since NES or SNES that haven't been forgotten by Nintendo (I don't mean all their games have been perfect): Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Mario, Yoshi, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Punch out, Kirby, Metroid, Mario Kart, Starfox, Luigi ('s mansion), Kid Icarus...

Now let's make the same with Sega: Sonic... What else? 

Franchises forgotten by Sega (not counting the appearance of some of these characters on Sonic & All Stars Racing franchise): Golden axe, Alex Kidd, Ristar, Streets of rage, Shinobi, Columns, Daytona, Ecco the dolphin, Nights (not as forgotten, but nearly), Out run, Panzer dragoon, Virtua fighter, Virtua tennis...

Yeah... An illusion ¬¬

2 hours ago, molul said:

Nintendo franchises since NES or SNES that haven't been forgotten by Nintendo (I don't mean all their games have been perfect): Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Mario, Yoshi, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Punch out, Kirby, Metroid, Mario Kart, Starfox, Luigi ('s mansion), Kid Icarus...

Now let's make the same with Sega: Sonic... What else? 

Franchises forgotten by Sega (not counting the appearance of some of these characters on Sonic & All Stars Racing franchise): Golden axe, Alex Kidd, Ristar, Streets of rage, Shinobi, Columns, Daytona, Ecco the dolphin, Nights (not as forgotten, but nearly), Out run, Panzer dragoon, Virtua fighter, Virtua tennis...

Yeah... An illusion ¬¬

As I said before, this notion of Nintendo's self-respect is an illusion, when the common complain heard around the internet is that Nintendo is neglecting most of their franchises. It took years before the latest Metroid and Star Fox games were made and both were ultimately sub-par efforts to say the least. Furthermore, Nintendo can't even properly give gamers access to their back catalogue, thanks to Nintendo's poorly designed internet infrastructure and refusal to sell anyone at a significant discount. In the industry today Nintendo has sidelined themselves, with a whole generation of gamers growing up never having played Nintendo games.

In contrast, it's actually far easier to purchase older Sega games online. The ease of use and frequent discounts on services such as Steam, PSN, Xbox Live and mobile platforms have kept Sega's heritage alive and well. Those Taxman ports of Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD have especially been amazing, a new generation of Sonic fans being brought into the fanbase by the same classic games that originally founded the Sonic fanbase in the 90s. Sonic Mania will continue this digital expansion of Sega's heritage, by being accessed the same way as Sega's classic games. So that with time Sega might create more classic Sega games in the style of Sonic Manic, once of course Sonic Mania is successful.

2 hours ago, Kintor said:

In the industry today Nintendo has sidelined themselves, with a whole generation of gamers growing up never having played Nintendo games.

In contrast, it's actually far easier to purchase older Sega games online.

Ummmm, you do know that virtual console is a thing, right?

50 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Ummmm, you do know that virtual console is a thing, right?

As I explained in the full version of that post you quoted: Nintendo's virtual console is poorly designed and barely functional; compared to competing services like Sony's PSN, Valve's Steam and Google's (Android) Play Store. Furthermore, Nintendo's reluctance to offer discounts on even 20 year old games also puts the virtual console at another disadvantage compared to rival digital platforms. Hence, it's much easier and cheaper to buy classic Sega games on online, ensuring the survival of Sega's heritage while Nintendo continues to isolate themselves.

10 minutes ago, Kintor said:

As I explained in the full version of that post you quoted: Nintendo's virtual console is poorly designed and barely functional; 

Okay Virtual Console certainly has its issues,  but "barely functional " certainly doesn't match its description.  I mean that implies that games on there don't work or that they're easily lost,  etc. 

15 minutes ago, Kintor said:

compared to competing services like Sony's PSN, Valve's Steam and Google's (Android) Play Store.

Your point being? Look,  for all it's troubles, getting old games Virtual Console is no more or less hard. More expensive at times maybe,  but comparing them doesn't deny the fact that Nintendo do actually take procedures to not let all but a few of their IPs out to dry.

I'll say the same for SEGA when they actually get around to reviving some of their IPs properly.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

I'll say the same for SEGA when they actually get around to reviving some of their IPs properly.

This. You just need to look where Sega is and where Nintendo is. Nintendo is what it is today largely because they care about their most important franchises, unlike Sega. 

I can agree with some of the points here, but I feel like this should be discussed in a Nintendo thread where it's less off topic and the discussion is less likely to be shut down.

13 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

...Anybody else think it'd be cool if the game card for Sonic Mania on the Switch was designed to look like a Genesis cartridge?

What exactly do you mean? They couldn't just change the shape so drastically. It wouldn't fit into the slot.

• Thumbs Up 3

So what is the likelihood of this game getting a physical release (or at some point this year after launch lol) for Switch (following rumours) or the other consoles? 

The demand from fans definitely seems to be there. Some even willing to pay more than your typical digital game price for how it is shaping up.

1 hour ago, Mark1 said:

So what is the likelihood of this game getting a physical release (or at some point this year after launch lol) for Switch (following rumours) or the other consoles? 

The demand from fans definitely seems to be there. Some even willing to pay more than your typical digital game price for how it is shaping up.

Very likely on Switch, very unlikely for the other systems. All the retail listings have been exclusively found for Switch.

Releasing the physical version only on Switch would be the first real misstep SEGA's made with this game. Missing out on the PS4's gigantic install base would be laughable. I'll be very surprised if a physical version for other systems doesn't pop up eventually. 

5 minutes ago, Hero of Legend said:

Very likely on Switch, very unlikely for the other systems. All the retail listings have been exclusively found for Switch.

Apparently these might just be a code in a box.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ajavalo said:

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/828811611510943744

How about an actual official confirmation for this? (who wasn't expecting this, anyway?)

Nice.

So, I wonder what GH act2's music will be sound like? It's an underground cave setting. So, I dunno, something a bit more slow-placed, more mysterious, more ancient sounding perhaps?

Image result for sonic mania green hill act 2

As for act1 of Mirage Saloon, I'm kind of expecting it to sound similar to act 2's music but with a slower beat.

Hopefully Studiopolis act2 music will be very similar to act 1's which sounds so awesome. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Hero of Legend said:

Such an odd move by SEGA if true. Should the Switch get a physical only version it'll definitely be in cooperation with Nintendo, since Tantalus did Twilight Princess HD I could actually see this being the case.

21 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Apparently these might just be a code in a box.

Did we get more updates on the findings? That's news to me.

I know the Collector's Editions come with a code, but the actual rumored retail release for Switch?

If the Switch version does happen to be the only one to get a physical release, I would assume that it would have to do with the fact that in comparison to PS4 and Xbox One, the Switch won’t have a whole lot of hard drive space by default, so people will probably be less willing to purchase games digitally. Then again, I imagine that Sonic Mania won’t be that huge of a download compared to typical retail games, so who knows.

Also, very glad to hear about the different act mixes in each zone. I’ve been wondering about that for a while.

30 minutes ago, Hero of Legend said:

Did we get more updates on the findings? That's news to me.

I know the Collector's Editions come with a code, but the actual rumored retail release for Switch?

Apparently it might be a switch thing.

I've seen some people say that whilst some stores are showing a physical edition of a game, some devs have come out and said their titles are digital only. 

So many are assuming it's a code in a box.

2 hours ago, Marcello said:

I can agree with some of the points here, but I feel like this should be discussed in a Nintendo thread where it's less off topic and the discussion is less likely to be shut down.

What exactly do you mean? They couldn't just change the shape so drastically. It wouldn't fit into the slot.

Basically the way it's colored/designed. The shape can remain the same. Think of it as putting a Genesis cartridge in sideways since the cartridges look like SD cards on the Switch.

Or...

Make it actually look like a Genesis cartridge, with the chip part able to extend all the way down into the Switch card slot, kind of in a S3&K lock-on manner.

29 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I've seen some people say that whilst some stores are showing a physical edition of a game, some devs have come out and said their titles are digital only. 

The devs being the Mania folks? I would think they're just saying that because they don't have permission to even tease it.

33 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Odd, is there a source for that alleged info? :think-pw:

Huh. Just a code in a box. I guess that's not too bad.

A shame I missed out on the console warrior shitposting though. That is guaranteed comedy gold. Lol.

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Huh. Just a code in a box. I guess that's not too bad.

A shame I missed out on the console warrior shitposting though. That is guaranteed comedy gold. Lol.

It's not a war, when the PS4 is already the superior console :P