Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Just now, Diogenes said:

I feel like the relevant question is less "what's the harm", and more "what's the benefit?". We all want to see more, sure, but if they did show more, would that actually translate to more sales, or is it just feeding the people who are already set on buying it?

I'd imagine for most people the reveal trailer was enough to decide if they were into it or not. Mania is a pretty straightforward game, once people know what it is, there's not much that can be revealed that might change the minds of people on the fence.

That's the problem though, it's just one trailer, and not only that, but it has been pretty much the same stages re-played repeatedly. My concern is a lack of attention over time due to nothing being out there to keep eyes wholeheartedly glued to the game.

Granted we got the Switch trailer, but the only thing different in that was the Switch logo itself I believe. I love what we've seen, but you DO have people out there who want to see more than what we've gotten before they make the final choice to buy or not on launch.

You COULD say that after launching lets plays and such will give them what they want before buying...

But the problem is, then people will see EVERYTHING and not need to buy the game too, so... A complicated problem.

I think it would be better if the company showed stuff off while blacking out portions of the game before launch that way those who need more to pay for the game can get it without the entirety of things being spoiled. (Breath of the Wild for instance... Excuse me, need to fap to the recent trailer again.)

3 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

JqvpFux.png

Got alerted to this in the Retro Discord. From here:

Aaron did say this was the beginning of more clues.

What zone do you think is hidden behind his picture?

What zone has gold and purple? THIRST

EDIT:

Also, notice the bottom of the image says "3" on the left and "21" on the right.

Possible release date? Date for more news?

Technically thats like the first day of spring right?

1 minute ago, Gemster312 said:

Aaron did say this was the beginning of more clues.

What zone do you think is hidden behind his picture?

What zone has gold and purple? THIRST

Retro folks in the Discord also say it's an old image, so that's probably not a Mania tease back there. :v

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

Retro folks in the Discord also say it's an old image, so that's probably not a Mania tease back there. :v

Adventure art far as I can tell. Looks like it.

Is the entire thing an old photo? Like that exact screenshot?

Or is that physical photo that the arm is holding the "old photo"?

I quite like the new approach to not having further trailers shown for this. SEGA know it's target audience will very likely be buying this. 

All they'd need to do to keep hype would be a similar style reveal to Mirage Saloon. I'd just like to see another act and that led be more than enough until launch. Want to keep most of this a surprise to play. The way generations was hyped (and leaked back with that demo) ruined a lot of that enjoyment for me.

There is very little doubt that this will fail, which is saying a lot given what fans have had to deal with for the last 15 or so years.

If anything I can see why we'll probably see more trailers for Project 2017, Sonic Team have such a hit and miss record these days that they need to prove themselves to be competent developers.

Just now, Mark1 said:

I quite like the new approach to not having further trailers shown for this. SEGA know it's target audience will very likely be buying this. 

All they'd need to do to keep hype would be a similar style reveal to Mirage Saloon. I'd just like to see another act and that led be more than enough until launch. Want to keep most of this a surprise to play. The way generations was hyped (and leaked back with that demo) ruined a lot of that enjoyment for me.

There is very little doubt that this will fail, which is saying a lot given what fans have had to deal with for the last 15 or so years.

If anything I can see why we'll probably see more trailers for Project 2017, Sonic Team have such a hit and miss record these days that they need to prove themselves to be competent developers.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah...

I kind of have a feeling no matter what they're going to get thrashed after people play Sonic Mania just because of physics and stuff. Sonic Team has a... Tricky time ahead no matter what once Mania is in peoples homes.

SoA vs SoJ perhaps? I can think of such competition only being a good thing.

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

The 90s called. It really isn't.

I'm not saying THAT kind of rivalry. I'm talking about pushing each other to see who can make the best physics, the best layouts and game play, the best abilities and cast, stories, etc.

I'm saying the kind that will push the franchise toward excellence altogether, not push two divisions into... Questionable behavior toward one another.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Yeaaaaaaaaaah...

I kind of have a feeling no matter what they're going to get thrashed after people play Sonic Mania just because of physics and stuff. Sonic Team has a... Tricky time ahead no matter what once Mania is in peoples homes.

I agree they will have a hard time regardless of the quality. But people would generally be more satisfied with a game closer to Generations quality over another Sonic 06 or Lost World (to a lesser extent, quite enjoyed the earlier levels despite its very complex control set up) ;) 

Less backlash for them wouldn't be a bad thing. I think SEGA know themselves the comparisons between Mania and Project 2017 are definitely going to happen after the latter gets its proper first reveal.

Just so no one drives themself crazy trying to figure it out, I'm pretty sure that second picture is just Big's artwork from SA. The gold/orange bits are his belt and sandal strap and the purple is...the rest of him.

• Thumbs Up 4

The No New Media/Footage Approach

One Upon a Time, there was a game which showed off a trailer to a videogame, it wowed a lot of fans, it raised a lot of hype, then up until release they showed off the same levels, same boss fight and same gameplay time and time again despite fans begging them to show more.

And that game was Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric.

See, I'm one of those people who were demanding to see more, because I never thought this game looked good and wanted to be proved wrong.

...So why am I not that bothered about Sonic Mania doing the same thing? Is it because I've played the game and was blown away by what I played? The fact that everything shown so far looks amazing?

I've got now doubt of the talent of the people behind Mania, but, even those people who constantly pump out hits sometimes hit a howler. 

But my inner critic should really be crying out for more, because the Green Hill Zone special and Studiopolis Zone really shouldn't be cutting it, people have been burnt by both Sonic and non Sonic games doing this, we're not saying these people are not tallented or good enough to do it, but we need to see more than two stages, and yes I know about the desert stage but... really? We've barely seen that and has it ever been at a public demo?

I think they really do need to show something new and it needs to come a while before launch otherwise I think more people are going to either forget it's coming out or just get bored if they constantly show Green Hill and Studiopolis again.

We should ask Chris Senn if he agrees. 

1 minute ago, Mark1 said:

I agree they will have a hard time regardless of the quality. But people would generally be more satisfied with a game closer to Generations quality over another Sonic 06 or Lost World (to a lesser extent, quite enjoyed the earlier levels despite its very complex control set up) ;) 

Less backlash for them wouldn't be a bad thing. I think SEGA know themselves the comparisons between Mania and Project 2017 are definitely going to happen after the latter gets its proper first reveal.

I kind of see Sonic Team suffering burn-out at this rate between the current negativity toward them, THEN the rant-level comparisons possibly happening between them and Mania to boot after the game is out.

Being an employee at ST right now is like sitting in salt water with open wounds... It hurts, but it really shows the gusto of those who stay in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Won't be until they make a line of games with the quality close to Mania that they'll be out of that hole they're in. See what happens from Project 2017 onwards. Anything can happen. The fact this may be the longest development time a Sonic game has had is comforting in some form, but we'll see.

Going by the new sprite shown today, I'm definitely getting some sort of Ice Cap zone snwobaording vibe from it.

4 hours ago, Mark1 said:

Won't be until they make a line of games with the quality close to Mania that they'll be out of that hole they're in. See what happens from Project 2017 onwards. Anything can happen. The fact this may be the longest development time a Sonic game has had is comforting in some form, but we'll see.

Going by the new sprite shown today, I'm definitely getting some sort of Ice Cap zone snwobaording vibe from it.

Agreed, until then I'm expecting average to good reception and... Somewhere just around 1M in numbers sold. Not on the level of Lost World by any means, but not much of a higher-end seller either.

Just enough to give a confidence boost basically.

No... I'm getting more of a vibe seen from the unreleased intro of Sonic 3 & Knuckles with Sonic surfing.

13 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

One Upon a Time, there was a game which showed off a trailer to a videogame, it wowed a lot of fans, it raised a lot of hype, then up until release they showed off the same levels, same boss fight and same gameplay time and time again despite fans begging them to show more.

And that game was Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric.

See, I'm one of those people who were demanding to see more, because I never thought this game looked good and wanted to be proved wrong.

...So why am I not that bothered about Sonic Mania doing the same thing? Is it because I've played the game and was blown away by what I played? The fact that everything shown so far looks amazing?

I've got now doubt of the talent of the people behind Mania, but, even those people who constantly pump out hits sometimes hit a howler. 

But my inner critic should really be crying out for more, because the Green Hill Zone special and Studiopolis Zone really shouldn't be cutting it, people have been burnt by both Sonic and non Sonic games doing this, we're not saying these people are not tallented or good enough to do it, but we need to see more than two stages, and yes I know about the desert stage but... really? We've barely seen that and has it ever been at a public demo?

I think they really do need to show something new and it needs to come a while before launch otherwise I think more people are going to either forget it's coming out or just get bored if they constantly show Green Hill and Studiopolis again.

We should ask Chris Senn if he agrees. 

Are you seriously comparing Sonic Mania to Sonic Extreme? 

35 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Can you please explain how you jumped to this conclusion?

35 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

No, he was replying to the guy saying that competition between SoA and SoJ for game development would be a good thing, when Sonic X-Treme practically got destroyed because of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

No, he was replying to the guy saying that competition between SoA and SoJ for game development would be a good thing, when Sonic X-Treme practically got destroyed because of it. 

Well, there's nothing saying a new rivalry can't be a positive between divisions.

Key word, GOOD, as in being open with one another, sharing worthwhile critique, crossing arms with smug smirks and nodding at the lacking side when something they do is better, only to have the same tossed back when eventually bested by the opposing team, and at the end of the day shaking hands and telling one another "Good game!" before challenging one another once again.

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Can you please explain how you jumped to this conclusion?

@VEDJ-F pretty much cleared that up a mistake my bad. But the Rise of Lyric comparisons while it is weird we haven't seen anything new of the game since they revealed Mirage Saloon back in October especially a release date I think the parallels between the two are a bit of a stretch. Like for starters people actually liked what they played of Mania demo to my recollection the reception to Boom's demo ranged from meh-not good. Also Mania is a digital download game like Mega Man 9 and 10.