Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Hasn't that been the case for some other digital only games in the past. I know Duck Tales Remastered was just a code in the box. Many PC physical editions are also just code, though it's shitty because the benefit of popping a disc in is that the install may go by more quickly depending on the quality of your internet. My friend buys physical because of this and has been upset to find more and more that he's just getting a code and having to wait out large installs anyway.

32 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Hasn't that been the case for some other digital only games in the past. I know Duck Tales Remastered was just a code in the box. Many PC physical editions are also just code, though it's shitty because the benefit of popping a disc in is that the install may go by more quickly depending on the quality of your internet. My friend buys physical because of this and has been upset to find more and more that he's just getting a code and having to wait out large installs anyway.

Some devs out there are nice enough that you can install a game without the burden of bad internet. I know Titanfall 2 has the entire game split between 4 disks, and it allowed for a fast download, almost 5 minutes total.

Back on topic, I would like a physical copy of Sonic Mania, just to say that I have it. But if it's digital, oh well. What can be done? I still have it, at least, just not to show off.

And I just had another thought, what if Mania got a mobile port? We know the engine it runs on is fully capable of it, it'd be interesting to see a port. Maybe they might, but later in the game's life (because think of someone likely to pay $40 for an app).

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Okay Virtual Console certainly has its issues,  but "barely functional " certainly doesn't match its description.  I mean that implies that games on there don't work or that they're easily lost,  etc.

I say barely functional because Nintendo's virtual console is barely functional because it simply doesn't match the quality of services like Steam and PSN. Furthermore, you can easily lose the games you by thanks to Nintendo's ill-conceived account systems. When digital Nintendo games are tied to specific consoles and not an overall account, you lose your games if something happens to that console and Nintendo won't refund you for your trouble.

10 hours ago, Ajavalo said:

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/828811611510943744

How about an actual official confirmation for this? (who wasn't expecting this, anyway?)

Cool news, more music in Sonic games is always welcome. This brings Sonic Mania even closer to S3&K.

Does anyone else want to see Sonic Mania's OST released on a CD? I'd buy a copy in a heartbeat.

7 hours ago, EllieBot said:

Nice.

So, I wonder what GH act2's music will be sound like? It's an underground cave setting. So, I dunno, something a bit more slow-placed, more mysterious, more ancient sounding perhaps?

Image result for sonic mania green hill act 2

As for act1 of Mirage Saloon, I'm kind of expecting it to sound similar to act 2's music but with a slower beat.

Hopefully Studiopolis act2 music will be very similar to act 1's which sounds so awesome. 

It's great to finally get this confirmation! Show that they are not going back in any aspect. If Sonic 3 had different music for each act, so should Mania, if not even more, like a different theme for each Eggman boss.

I wish Tee would go batshit insane with at least one zone like Sonic 3, you know which one:

Hidrocity is the only zone in the whole game in which act 2 music isn't a remix of act 1, but a totaly different composition. I wonder why?

As for Green Hill Act 2, I think they might give the music a primitive/native sounding, maybe not as much as, say, Quartz Quadrant Past, but still. I'm also crossing my fingers to hear bits of other zones into these remixes, kinda like how Gens did when they put that Endless Mine (Sonic 3) melody into Classic City Escape. <3

I was a bit worried we'd be hearing the same track through the entire zone and eventually get a little bored or have it grow stale.

Good to hear things will be kept fresh all the more with each act sporting its own track. Always something to look forward to as you progress.

I really hope there's a mobile release. Taxman already has the Retro Engine ready for that format so it should be easy, just whether or not they consider it cost efficient.

1 hour ago, SonicProject17 said:

I really hope there's a mobile release. Taxman already has the Retro Engine ready for that format so it should be easy, just whether or not they consider it cost efficient.

+1. I'm so looking forward for a mobile port confirmation. It makes sense that it would be released a bit after the PC and consoles versions.

4 minutes ago, molul said:

+1. I'm so looking forward for a mobile port confirmation. It makes sense that it would be released a bit after the PC and consoles versions.

In all honesty I'm anti-mobile so I really hope it doesn't happen, but kudos to those who do. It will just result in people expecting a bargain price and I find that real cheap, not in price, but attitude.

If it comes to mobile, it needs to be at the exact same price as console versions, otherwise that will hurt other versions sales and leave sour tastes in the mouths of those who paid more.

Well, for a couple of years now I've been using my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet (and another tablet before the Shield) like a Nintendo Switch, playing emulators and very few Android games with 8bitdo or the ipega 9023 bluetooth controllers, connecting it to a projector at home, bringing it to friends' houses, or playing with it while travelling by train. It's really handy ;) Of course, it's not the same at all with touch controls, even the Sonic mobile remasters where there's only one button and the d-pad. Touch controls are only good for games that are designed for that.

I think Android tablets could do great with old or retro-styled games (as they don't need a very powerful machine), and with point 'n' click adventures. But as a "Lovers in a dangerous spacetime" (great game, by the way) developer told me when I asked them if they would port that game to Android, Google needs to invest a bit on this area for developers to port their games with as less risk as possible. The Ouya console was a great idea for this, but perhaps a bit ahead of its time. 

I'd gladly pay 10-15€ for Sonic Mania on Android. It has more work than the Sonic remasters. In fact Super Mario Run's price sounds really fair to me for a game like that, although many people was pissed off comparing it to most mobile games price.

2 minutes ago, molul said:

I'd gladly pay 10-15€ for Sonic Mania on Android. It has more work than the Sonic remasters. In fact Super Mario Run's price sounds really fair to me for a game like that, although many people was pissed off comparing it to most mobile games price.

If this was the mass majority mindset, I'd be so much more happier with the mobile market. Unfortunately the situation stands at either "keep it free" or "no higher than $5" basically, and even $5 is a stretch for many/most. (Speaking in USD terms here)

• Thumbs Up 1

I know, it's really unfair. Price should be set according to the game budget, not the platform. The mobile apps market has been so popular due to the low prices, but this mindset should change so better games come to iOS or Android. I applaud Nintendo for having the guts on setting Super Mario Run to 10€. It's a logical price. Higher than usual, but just look at the game! No 1€ game looks and plays like that.

Hopefully, with Nintendo releasing more games like this, people might change their minds about mobile gaming. Maybe more companies will follow (actually, Square Enix already published some games at that price or higher). I'm really looking forward for that, as I like using PC for "big" (demanding) games and the Shield for 2D games.

7 hours ago, Soldier: 76 said:

And I just had another thought, what if Mania got a mobile port? We know the engine it runs on is fully capable of it, it'd be interesting to see a port. Maybe they might, but later in the game's life (because think of someone likely to pay $40 for an app).

A mobile version would be awesome, but probably more than that I really really want them to get those mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2 on PC and console. My pipe dream is them putting both of them out on PC shortly before Mania's release to help drum up interest.

Edit: So I was thinking, how do people here think they'll handle the past/present/future aspects of the CD stages? Do you think they'll work in the time travel as a mechanic unique to those stages, or possibly have you travel through time zones between acts? Could even be neat to see the transitions happen more smoothly, similar to the seasonal changes in Mushroom Hill.

On the subject of music, I was thinking how they could approach zones where music is the primary issue. Obviously they could remix the PC version tracks, but I think it'd be kinda neat to just pull music from other games. Like Diamond Dust's theme in Ice Cap. Again, assuming any of that is really a problem. I'm very curious to see what they take from Sonic 3.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Edit: So I was thinking, how do people here think they'll handle the past/present/future aspects of the CD stages? Do you think they'll work in the time travel as a mechanic unique to those stages, or possibly have you travel through time zones between acts? Could even be neat to see the transitions happen more smoothly, similar to the seasonal changes in Mushroom Hill.

On the subject of music, I was thinking how they could approach zones where music is the primary issue. Obviously they could remix the PC version tracks, but I think it'd be kinda neat to just pull music from other games. Like Diamond Dust's theme in Ice Cap. Again, assuming any of that is really a problem. I'm very curious to see what they take from Sonic 3.

There's been discussion about how they might approach time travel in the CD levels.  My own inkling is that, while it's possible that they'll reimplement the full time-travel gimmick as it was in CD for just those zones, I still think it's unlikely.  Actually, the S3K format of acts flowing directly into each other and with no third act exclusively for the boss means that they'd have to tweak the CD formula anyway, to force you back into the present for Act 2 and force you into the future for the boss encounter.  So I think something more like the Mushroom Hill approach seems likely, whether as sudden shifts or even as a gradual organic transition across the course of both acts.  If there were two CD zones, actually, they could even approach time travel differently for each of them.  For that matter I wouldn't be wholly surprised if the proposed Final Fever boss gimmick ended up being used somewhere.

No matter what zones they pick from Sonic 3, I'm sure it will add to the debate around that game and its music.  It'll be very interesting to see what they do.

2 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

So I was thinking, how do people here think they'll handle the past/present/future aspects of the CD stages? Do you think they'll work in the time travel as a mechanic unique to those stages, or possibly have you travel through time zones between acts? 

It could be linked to the actual in game timer. The first minute of each act would be the past, the second minute would be the present, the third minute would be the future, (good or bad depending on number of enemies defeated in the act) the fourth minute would be the past, and so on. The transition would probably be the background and foreground fading into green (the color used in Sonic CD's time travel) and then fading back into the next time period. The player can still move during this transition.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, EllieBot said:

Nice.

So, I wonder what GH act2's music will be sound like? It's an underground cave setting. So, I dunno, something a bit more slow-placed, more mysterious, more ancient sounding perhaps?

As for act1 of Mirage Saloon, I'm kind of expecting it to sound similar to act 2's music but with a slower beat.

Hopefully Studiopolis act2 music will be very similar to act 1's which sounds so awesome. 

I'm kinda hoping they were sneaky and actually used Mirage Saloon's Act 1 mix in the Act 2 demo thus far.  It'll be kinda weird for "Act 1" to sound like the "remix" because we all heard Act 2 first (and a lot, who could resist that footage).

9 hours ago, Jango said:

Hidrocity is the only zone in the whole game in which act 2 music isn't a remix of act 1, but a totaly different composition. I wonder why?

I think you're just not listening carefully enough because, while the backing to it is much more intense and fast paced, Hyrdocity Act 2 has the same melody as Act 1 through and through.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, molul said:

Hmmm... Of course it has to be a mistake, but I found this on the Sonic Mania website.

Sin título.jpg

Yeah that's been like that for awhile, I think it was meant to be a franchise system list, not just Mania.

4 hours ago, molul said:

Hmmm... Of course it has to be a mistake, but I found this on the Sonic Mania website.

Sin título.jpg

Notice how it also says Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Wii, and Nintendo 3DS.

The game is not coming out for a single one of those.

I'm pretty certain that is a list of consoles/devices/companies that the company is working with/have had releases on.

It's like saying "Sega has games on THESE platforms!"

It doesn't state Xbox One or PS4 because as far as im aware, no original games were officially launched (not port) on those consoles.

But yeah, those are irrelevant to Sonic Mania as an individual release.

12 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

So I was thinking, how do people here think they'll handle the past/present/future aspects of the CD stages? Do you think they'll work in the time travel as a mechanic unique to those stages, or possibly have you travel through time zones between acts? Could even be neat to see the transitions happen more smoothly, similar to the seasonal changes in Mushroom Hill.

If time travel is present then it needs to be instantaneous like in Back to the Future, instead of having to wait a few seconds for the zone to change time like in Sonic CD which is cumbersome.

I recall Yuji Naka (who didn't work on CD) said he could have programmed it so that Sonic time-travelled instantly.

Bringing back time-travel would be cool, but designing three versions of the same act (past, present & future) would no doubt make developing more time-consuming than the remade levels from the other games.

It would be interesting (with time-travel in mind) if Sonic CD's re-imagined zones were designed so there are more consequences depending on your actions in the past version of the level. Maybe destroying/not destroying a platform has a different affect on the landscape in the future. Defeating or not defeating a badnik might have an affect on the difficulty. Not pressing a switch in the past will cause the future version of the level to be flooded/underwater. By not destroying certain machinery could mean Eggman is more powerful/you face a harder end-of-zone boss fight (set in the future). You get the idea...

Would be fitting if both Amy and Metal Sonic make an appearance in Sonic CD's remade zones.

Oh and regardless as to whether Wacky Workbench is included or not, I want the Angel statue to make an appearance!

Related image

Since Tee Lopes is creating brand music for the new zones, I think it would make sense for him to create new music if Carnival Night, Ice Cap or Launch Base are included. Creating a new piece of music which fits the layout, design and theme of the re-imagined version is more exciting than the PC music which isn't as popular as the Mega-Drive soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, molul said:

Sin título.jpg

Doesn't that count as false advertising for the particular product if it's not on those systems/devices?

Or... Do they label every game as being for everything now...?

They just use that bottom portion for the whole of sonicthehedgehog.com. They should definitely update it with modern consoles, though.

1 hour ago, EllieBot said:

If time travel is present then it needs to be instantaneous like in Back to the Future, instead of having to wait a few seconds for the zone to change time like in Sonic CD which is cumbersome.

I recall Yuji Naka (who didn't work on CD) said he could have programmed it so that Sonic time-travelled instantly.

That's an interesting point I've often thought about when playing Sonic CD, and I'm curious as to why no one's ever made a hack of it that made time travel instantaneous. I wonder if Yuji Naka saying he could have done it is an indication that it's possible, or if that's just his ego showing.

And yeah it'd be neat to see little callbacks like the Wacky Workbench angel statue cleverly hidden somewhere in one those huge levels Mania appears to have (seriously, that level map of Green Hill Zone Act 1 looks like a Metroid area with how huge it is).

Crwx1gcWEAEiwpt.jpg

Christian Whitehead is clearly a big fan of Sonic CD so I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of nod to it in the game.

Gonna be the odd man out here again...

I'm actually legitimately worried about the level design in Sonic Mania that may wind up being too clustered in general and restrictive. I don't like the way I've seen the sprite basically running into walls and obstacles so frequently. I prefer a multi-path kind of design, yes, but from what I've seen I think the game might be following a layout that's TOO MUCH like Sonic CD in some not so alluring ways.

(Also noticed the whole "can't go back once you pass this point" Advance design going on, not a fan of that either)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, EllieBot said:

Bringing back time-travel would be cool, but designing three versions of the same act (past, present & future) would no doubt make developing more time-consuming than the remade levels from the other games.

It would be interesting (with time-travel in mind) if Sonic CD's re-imagined zones were designed so there are more consequences depending on your actions in the past version of the level. Maybe destroying/not destroying a platform has a different affect on the landscape in the future. Defeating or not defeating a badnik might have an affect on the difficulty. Not pressing a switch in the past will cause the future version of the level to be flooded/underwater. By not destroying certain machinery could mean Eggman is more powerful/you face a harder end-of-zone boss fight (set in the future). You get the idea...

Would be fitting if both Amy and Metal Sonic make an appearance in Sonic CD's remade zones.

It is very exciting to consider what you are mentioning, basically how each specific group of zones will be set up or specialized within the game.

There is a least a chance that zones taking place on a specific overall location will be played in one group (the mentioning of act transitions being in the game perhaps implies that there are scenes between zones as well), perhaps with each location also containing a new zone or two!  This would allow for location-specific subplots and unique specific adjustments/additions to gameplay such as time travel!

9 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Gonna be the odd man out here again...

I'm actually legitimately worried about the level design in Sonic Mania that may wind up being too clustered in general and restrictive. I don't like the way I've seen the sprite basically running into walls and obstacles so frequently. I prefer a multi-path kind of design, yes, but from what I've seen I think the game might be following a layout that's TOO MUCH like Sonic CD in some not so alluring ways.

(Also noticed the whole "can't go back once you pass this point" Advance design going on, not a fan of that either)

I'm not exactly seeing what you're seeing.

In any case, "can't go back once you pass this point" is present in every 2D Sonic platformer except Sonic CD.

It's also been stated that Christian isn't a huge fan of CD's level design. Sonic Mania is taking its inspiration primarily from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. There's little to worry about. Running into walls and obstacles will happen to anyone who isn't skilled at Sonic (ie, the critics taking the footage who still think Sonic's all about holding right to win)

It'll be great.

• Thumbs Up 8