Awoo.

Sega Plans 2016 Thread "Join us for Dancing with the Sonic" "25th party livestream links in OP"

Badnik Mechanic

13 hours ago, FFWF said:

Almost certainly.  Even through the blur, I can actually see one difference already (because it's a colour difference).

I found another one (Unless its the one you're talking about...)

Yacker's eye is on one side?

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Windowmaker said:

I found another one (Unless its the one you're talking about...)

Yacker's eye is on one side?

I really like the idea that we could solve this silly spot-the-difference without even being able to see it properly.

I'm really hoping the entire Sonic line of Drop Dead is Shadow the Hedgehog snorting their logo, pulling a switchblade on Charmy, and a bleeding glove with "I AM THE ULTIMATE" under it. All purchases come with temp tattoo of Shadow's bike

• Thumbs Up 7

21 hours ago, Tara said:

ClTnwNOXIAEucB5.jpg:large

I'm genuinely curious about how the licensing team at Sega saw something like this and thought "Yes, this clothing company that advocates illegal drugs is a perfect brand fit for our blue cartoon hedgehog that goes fast. Of course."

Like, how did they see this and not think to themselves "Oh boy this isn't the best of ideas is it?"

Copypastaing @Mikyeong's OP from her now-closed thread (thanks for the translation Mikyeong!):

So what I see from the paper and the text, Sonic Team is in the process of making a new Sonic game. 

Here's the link to the translation of the interview: http://soahcity.com/2016/06/22/famitsu-interview-with-sonic-team-for-sonics-25th-anniversary/

Text:

Famitsu: Finally, our last question – please tell us about Sonic’s future.

Iizuka: We at Sonic Team – are developing a completely new game, as well as developing a full movie, actively done by Sony Pictures, and animation on Sonic Boom. We are also ready to improve sponsor ties.
The most important thing is not the fact the series survived for 25 years, but how many games was developed.
Our goal – add something new and overcome any potential hardships.

Original text:

ーーでは最後に、未来に向けての「ソニック」シリーズのビションを聞かせてください。
いいずか:我々ソニックチームが作るゲーム以外にも、CGアニメ「ソニックトゥーン」、そして今度ソニー・ピクチャーズが制作する映画と、いろいろな形で「ソニック」が広がって、幅広い接点提供できるといいなと思っていあす。
25周年という経過した年月がすごいわけでななく、タイトルを積み上げてきたことが重要なんです。
つねに新しいことを提案して、シリーズを活かし続けるような取リ組みをしていきたいです。

Yes, the translation is indeed correct and they said that they are not only working on a new game, but on the movie and the Sonic Toon anime.

Not much to go on, but the bit about Sonic Team working on "a completely new game" lines up pretty well with Endri's comments from a couple of years ago, when he mentioned that Sonic Team was working on a prototype that "is not Lost [World] 2 and neither it follows the Generations formula". (We over at SSMB actually had a short-lived thread about it for a bit.)

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

Like, how did they see this and not think to themselves "Oh boy this isn't the best of ideas is it?"

368972.jpg

tn_4.jpg

I agree. It's a terrible idea. 

Wait. You didn't seriously think the designs would include Sonic snorting cocaine?

Oh here we go here are the designs.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Wait. You didn't seriously think the designs would include Sonic snorting cocaine?

No, of course not. It's just that usually if a company's had a history of producing items that aren't really that kid-friendly (y'know, the original target audience for Sonic), then the chances of them getting the license to produce products based on a generally family-friendly IP would naturally dwindle due to that IP's owner not wanting their carefully-handled brand to be associated with imagery such as the cocaine one I originally quoted. It's all a matter of brand fit overall.

So yeah, I'm quite a bit surprised. Either SEGA turned a blind eye towards some of these more controversial designs, or they didn't know about them before signing an agreement. And yes, this is a bit of a miserable two cents but eh, it sorta had to be said at some point I guess.

2 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

So yeah, I'm quite a bit surprised. Either SEGA turned a blind eye towards some of these more controversial designs, or they didn't know about them before signing an agreement. And yes, this is a bit of a miserable two cents but eh, it sorta had to be said at some point I guess.

Did you just ingore the fact that Sega have done business with them before?

1 hour ago, Ayliffe said:

No, of course not. It's just that usually if a company's had a history of producing items that aren't really that kid-friendly (y'know, the original target audience for Sonic), then the chances of them getting the license to produce products based on a generally family-friendly IP would naturally dwindle due to that IP's owner not wanting their carefully-handled brand to be associated with imagery such as the cocaine one I originally quoted. It's all a matter of brand fit overall.

This is the same SEGA that green lighted a Sonic spin-off game in which you run around cursing and slaughtering soldiers who are fighting off an alien invasion.

Its not like SEGA is likely to let them release shirts that show Sonic smoking a joint, but even if they do, so what?

They already sell tons of Sonic merchandise at Spencer's which isn't exactly a family friendly store. (I even heard them playing His World in Spencer's once)

Clothing lines actually have the freedom to create ranges for a diverse array of audiences, because the majority of people who purchase their apparel typically don't know where it comes from unless they're very dedicated to that brand.  So the same company that manufactures shirts featuring people snorting cocaine, holding switchblades, etc. would not be held back from making licensed shirts based around something as innocuous as, say, Dora the Explorer.  When I pointed those articles of clothing out specifically, I just thought it was funny imagining Sonic characters in similar scenarios, not seriously trying to make a statement on how they would be a bad idea for them to produce Sonic-themed attire.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Tara said:

Clothing lines actually have the freedom to create ranges for a diverse array of audiences, because the majority of people who purchase their apparel typically don't know where it comes from unless they're very dedicated to that brand.  So the same company that manufactures shirts featuring people snorting cocaine, holding switchblades, etc. would not be held back from making licensed shirts based around something as innocuous as, say, Dora the Explorer.  When I pointed those articles of clothing out specifically, I just thought it was funny imagining Sonic characters in similar scenarios, not seriously trying to make a statement on how they would be a bad idea for them to produce Sonic-themed attire.

You mean like that one old cringe inducing flash parody where Tails dresses up in Goth and slaps a milkshake out of Sonic's hand?

3 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

You mean like that one old cringe inducing flash parody where Tails dresses up in Goth and slaps a milkshake out of Sonic's hand?

Not familiar with the thing you're talking about in particular, but yeah, something cringeworthy like that. XD

Just now, Tara said:

Not familiar with the thing you're talking about in particular, but yeah, something cringeworthy like that. XD

God, hold on. It was back when Newgrounds was a thing, I was like 10 years old, and liked this crap unironically.

There we go. Man, that almost physically hurts to watch.

11 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

God, hold on. It was back when Newgrounds was a thing, I was like 10 years old, and liked this crap unironically.

There we go. Man, that almost physically hurts to watch.

Okay maybe not THAT cringeworthy but pretty close.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amazon celebrates 25 years of Sonic with a pretty nifty front page banner and video.

a8942b7d5cb488fc91c4e9231dc234f2.png

(click for full size because IPB scales it down tremendously)

• Thumbs Up 9

16 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

I didn't realise Drop Dead had a place in London. Since I'm down there Saturday, I shall be having a gander!

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Pawn said:

I didn't realise Drop Dead had a place in London. Since I'm down there Saturday, I shall be having a gander!

Can you take pics? The last time they had Sega stuff their store displays and packaging were quite incredible

That ring looks like the graduation rings that my school was selling during my senior year of high school.  Aside from the fact that it has a blue gem and Sonic's name on it, it doesn't really intrigue me that much.

I'd like that pendant and that key chain, though.  Probably wouldn't wear the former, but it would be pretty nice to have.  If anything, I'd like that in key chain form. XP

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Can you take pics? The last time they had Sega stuff their store displays and packaging were quite incredible

Yeah no problem; I'll snag some pics.