Awoo.

Sega Plans 2016 Thread "Join us for Dancing with the Sonic" "25th party livestream links in OP"

Badnik Mechanic

Well, with Sonic not having a presence at E3 and Nintendo only showing Zelda, I have literally nothing to look forward to in terms of E3 this year.  It's a sad life. D:

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Tara said:

Well, with Sonic not having a presence at E3 and Nintendo only showing Zelda, I have literally nothing to look forward to in terms of E3 this year.  It's a sad life. D:

Mmmmmmm May or may not do.

Might be hinted at during Sony/Microsofts con, but won't be on show floor.

New SEGA Central, something for European Sonic fans during next week's video. Probably the Boom Fire and Ice launch edition or something. 

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

New SEGA Central, something for European Sonic fans during next week's video. Probably the Boom Fire and Ice launch edition or something. 

Naw come on. Sega isn't that stupid to make people wait until the 23rd for the Anniversary Game's announcement right? Right...? ... Well, I'm not gonna tune into the Sega thing then if it's Fire and Ice.

4 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Naw come on. Sega isn't that stupid to make people wait until the 23rd for the Anniversary Game's announcement right? Right...? ... Well, I'm not gonna tune into the Sega thing then if it's Fire and Ice.

If anything they'll be waiting till the July party for the game announcement. June 23rd is unlikely due to SEGA having several games releasing that day to begin with (particularly in Japan). New Sonic would drown that out.

Maybe a small teaser, but this sure as hell isn't the new Sonic game. Not at E3. 

Not stupid either. 

3 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Naw come on. Sega isn't that stupid to make people wait until the 23rd for the Anniversary Game's announcement right?

Why is it stupid?

• Thumbs Up 8

8 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Why is it stupid?

Say that the video game comes out in November like it usually has. Waiting until June or even July is giving people short time to get hyped for the game. Me personally, I think it's a dumb move. In their defense though, video game development is hard and from what I've heard from the most reliable source I can find (the internet) the game is still VERY buggy.

EDIT: Or they can pull a Scott Cawthon and release it the next day after the announcement.

5 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Say that the video game comes out in November like it usually has. Waiting until June or even July is giving people short time to get hyped for the game. Me personally, I think it's a dumb move. In their defense though, video game development is hard and from what I've heard from the most reliable source I can find (the internet) the game is still VERY buggy.

EDIT: Or they can pull a Scott Cawthon and release it the next day after the announcement.

Fallout 4 did the same thing, take a month; and that went just fine.

1 minute ago, Terriful said:

Say that the video game comes out in November like it usually has. Waiting until June or even July is giving people short time to get hyped for the game. 

Sonic Generations was released on November 1st. November 1st this year also happens to be a Tuesday this year so lets use that as a potential release date.

The time between June 23rd and November 1st is 4 months and 9 days.

So why exactly is 131 days not sufficient, or stupid as you put it, to generate 'hype' or sell your game?

1 minute ago, Detective Hogfather said:

So why exactly is 131 days not sufficient, or stupid as you put it, to generate 'hype' or sell your game?

Mostly because the longer they wait, the less people will be interested by the time they DO announce it. That greatly affects sales if people aren't interested. But as Tracker said, Fallout 4 did the same thing so honestly, it can go either way. Just after the whole Boom games fallout, I hope Sega knows what they're doing.

I dono... a reveal bit closer to the actual release date then normal might be a smarter move IMO. Instead of hyping people up for a year which can create overly high expectations or burnout by the time the game is released... a reveal few months before release could be more balanced as it keeps the wait for normal people shorter, which will keep it fresher in their minds also.

• Thumbs Up 4

Keep in mind, Sonic games are usually revealed in April or May and launched in early November. Bump the reveal to June, and the release to early December and you get the same time frame as usual and still have the game come out this year.

Now I'm not saying I think it'll get a December release but the point is, an announcement beyond the usual May deadline doesn't immediately mean it's getting shunted into 2016.

Announcing your game earlier doesn't mean more time to get hype.  Conversely, it means more time for people to potentially forget about the game in question.  If there is a new Sonic game coming out this year, that isn't Fire & Ice, then it will just be one of many games releasing this year.  Releasing it at just the right time where your target audience will see it and then not be crowded out in the sea of other games being released that year is the key to good press.

But that still undermines that there is a huge difference between when the initial announcement of a game is made and the actual advertising period of a game, the latter of which is arguably when the majority of your interest is going to be drawn in.  The only people that will likely see the press announcement is dedicated gamers and hardcore Sonic fans.  The actual target audience will probably not see it until/if they start advertising it on TV and in various internet outlets including, but not limited to, social media.

• Thumbs Up 7

722, 7/22.

July 22nd, 25th Anniversary party.

I love it when my member title holds true. 

• Thumbs Up 3

They announce a game 1,5 years before release, people complain about: where is polish on your game? We want to play it already, get on! And there is no improvement almost because we saw what it was and now we see what it is.

Now they don't announce anything, so that people will complain about nothing yet, before they polish. Before the game is ready.

Simple? Simple.

We will get there guys, almost there... Just need to hang on the hype a little more.

It's also worth noting that even if SEGA themselves don't end up revealing a sonic game at E3 we'll still have some Sonic stuff there, albeit in the form of the LEGO Dimensions booth showing off some of their new gear. Either way, it's still technically a win-win situation I guess.

I don't know how many Sonic fans actually care about all that "secondary" stuff, but I believe for most of us a proper, well-polised main Sonic game would be more meaningful. Fire and Ice will not do that, obviously.

9 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

I don't know how many Sonic fans actually care about all that "secondary" stuff, but I believe for most of us a proper, well-polised main Sonic game would be more meaningful. Fire and Ice will not do that, obviously.

I'd give it more credit than that. Many people are giving it a lukewarm reception. Wary yet welcoming.

Man... It's gonna feel so weird seeing Modern/Legacy Sonic in the next game after all this classic pandering.

And yet... I still love it so.

Oh, I'd love to get my hands on that music collection.  It would be the perfect addition to my collection.