Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

27 minutes ago, Detective Chameleon said:

I think it's already been said in this thread, but announcing the game in March or in June has no impact on its quality. If anything, if they announce it later, they will have less time to fix anything that gets a very bad reception from fans. I doubt Sega cares enough anyway (but to be fair they did replace those 2 despised stages from the Sonic 4 beta).

See, that's the thing. Announcements and marketing don't matter that much when it comes to what is objectively going to be in the game at the end of it all. Assuming this is a 3D game, the game's design has already been set in stone for probably a year now, if not longer, and they're not going to deviate too much from that because deviations cost valuable time and money. If PR revealed something and fans had a problem with it, it's unlikely if not impossible that Sonic Team would be able to quickly fix or take it out and still remain on the schedule that Sega has set for them, particularly if it's a major part of the game and is thus necessary for the game's identity such as a gameplay gimmick or a character. This is how entertainment media works: The product is rarely determined by what the marketing firm reveals to the public. Instead, the marketing firm works in parallel with the creators, giving us bits and pieces to generate interest, while the team works away on the product within their own mind space. So whether they announce something today or on the day before the damn thing's set to release, Sonic Team is still going to be working towards completing that same exact idea that was signed off on well before we even thought about the 25th anniversary. Ergo, the quality of this next game is dependent entirely on how good of a game the producers and main designers wrote down on paper, and how well the rest of the artists can actually finish and polish it. Marketing can't change that.

I'm not exactly as upset as other people, but I do admit there wasn't much done given who was at this panel; they couldn't even do the Q&A, so everyone just kinda sat threre twiddling their thumbs. The panel itself was fine, but definitely some missed opportunities.

(Copy-paste from a status update on the same issue just so no-one thinks they're seeing double).

The entire thing was a cringe-fest.  I felt like I was watching an awkward school presentation by a kid who is really into some obscure subject, and by their body language so did all the guests.

The tragic thing is I felt this way EVEN THOUGH I am into that very obscure subject.

In short, Aaron's a cool guy, he's made some funny jokes even though I've got tired of all his social media stuff being based around mainstream sonic memes, but the presentation just felt like the Aaron memes for an hour panel while special guests watch.  The icing on the cake was when he skipped the Q&A and had to rush through his grand ARG explaination because he'd spent so long memeing about the history of Sonic that we already knew.

All things considered I'm glad all of that wasn't attached to the big 25th game announcement.

• Thumbs Up 5

25 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The panel felt rushed. I felt it needed to be twice as long. 

Both of them, yeah. Would agree on that one, which is kinda said. Twice as long? Maybe not, but at least 15-20 minutes more time would've been great, especially during that Twitch thing. They spent a little too much time on Sonic 1 for me, I'd love to hear more about the development of the more recent titles (2006+).

7 minutes ago, RubyEclipse said:

(I even had one guy online blame me personally for not coding the next game. For real.:P

Oh my god. This is actually a thing isn't it? I'd ask for a screenshot, but for some reason I can't bring myself to doubt that.

Just now, RubyEclipse said:

I think the quote was "If Aaron would just stop posting memes and get to work on the new Sonic Game..." and I pretty much died right around there. ;)

But. But.

That's not even your job.

1 minute ago, RubyEclipse said:

I think the quote was "If Aaron would just stop posting memes and get to work on the new Sonic Game..." and I pretty much died right around there. ;)

I'd respond with, "okay, then I'll be sure to put the memes in there, too." 

But I digress. 

Thanks for the fun times, man! 

...but what do the Webdings in the presentation slides mean?! Were those intentional? Is there more?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

But I digress. 

...but what do the Webdings mean?! Were those intentional? Is there more?

One was "March to the Drum". That one really frustrated me.

2 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

*cough*

"May the best dance in a Juno bridal
Power of the will, Julius and Augustus"

3 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

But. But.

That's not even your job.

Right? You'd be amazed what people assume sometimes,  but it's all good. In the end, it's all passion, and I see that as a positive thing. :)

6 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

To be fair, Aaron, you are the creator of Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3. :P

Fair point, Donnie. ;) 

7 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

But I digress. 

...but what do the Webdings in the presentation slides mean?! Were those intentional? Is there more?

Ha, great idea. Glad you enjoyed it! 

Everything in the presentation is intentional, and there for a reason. That's all I'll say for now. :)

6 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Why did it frustrate you? (There's no greater implication, don't worry.) I think it's been pointed out many times, so hopefully this doesn't spoil anything, but it's in reference to song lyrics!

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, RubyEclipse said:

Everything in the presentation is intentional, and there for a reason. That's all I'll say for now. :)

"Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands, gang! Let's search the presentation for clues!"

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, RubyEclipse said:

Why did it frustrate you? (There's no greater implication, don't worry.) I think it's been pointed out many times, so hopefully this doesn't spoil anything, but it's in reference to song lyrics!

Nothing with you specifically. I mostly had a really, really bad screengrab to work off of with potato resolution.

By the way, is that a MSI GS40 you're using? How do you like it?

1 minute ago, RubyEclipse said:

I know some people are frustrated about the lack of game news this year, but I have to encourage you not to direct that into other areas. (I even had one guy online blame me personally for not coding the next game. For real.:P

Patience, friends! We'll get there in time. 

I can't believe Webber didn't coded Adventure 3?! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!

And it's cool that you actually do get why some fans are disappointed with the panel, I personally really liked it (stiil have yet to watch the second panel but will watch it soon!) and you stole the show. 

But thanks for taking the time to comment on the matter, really appreciate it!

I can wait a little longer for an announcement, but I'd like to take this time to express my concerns for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3.

I just don't know what direction Sonic Team will take with it. BBFA1 had great gameplay with no unnecessary gimmicks, but BBFA2 had a much better story. Smalls was such a great foil to Big, and I love the twist you guys pulled with Mighty at the end!

BTW, are we still getting that pre-order bonus of an actual fishing rod and a live frog?

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Nothing with you specifically. I mostly had a really, really bad screengrab to work off of with potato resolution.

By the way, is that a MSI GS40 you're using? How do you like it?

It's supposed to be my work laptop, but since I'm running my own MSI (a GE60), I am "permitting" him to use it and he totally didn't steal it for himself.

Nope. Not at all.

But they're fine machines.

• Thumbs Up 4

The 25th anniversary hype machine has so far not been doing much to get me excited so I didn't really go into the panel expecting much. As such, I came out of it with no disappointment, which was probably for the best. I got a few laughs and I got to see some cool people. So I'm fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JezMM said:

(Copy-paste from a status update on the same issue just so no-one thinks they're seeing double).

The entire thing was a cringe-fest.  I felt like I was watching an awkward school presentation by a kid who is really into some obscure subject, and by their body language so did all the guests.

The tragic thing is I felt this way EVEN THOUGH I am into that very obscure subject.

In short, Aaron's a cool guy, he's made some funny jokes even though I've got tired of all his social media stuff being based around mainstream sonic memes, but the presentation just felt like the Aaron memes for an hour panel while special guests watch.  The icing on the cake was when he skipped the Q&A and had to rush through his grand ARG explaination because he'd spent so long memeing about the history of Sonic that we already knew.

All things considered I'm glad all of that wasn't attached to the big 25th game announcement.

Cringeworthy isn't the word I'd use, but I suppose it had a different effect on everyone.

I wouldn't mind another one of these honestly. Maybe some more info on the later games' development processes (most of it seemed focused on the Classic Sonic games).

I would love a more in depth 'History of Sonic' type doco or presentation in some form for the 25th. The one with Generations included in the collector's edition was nice but like the panel lacked depth. Like you said tho Aaron there's a lot of content and many years worth of stories to tell, would be a hell of a project. Even something akin to the History Hall that was in Sonic Jam being included in the 25th Anniversary game would be neat. 

Surely Sega didn't go to the trouble of bringing everyone together just for a 45min panel and an hour long Twitch session...surely.

• Thumbs Up 4