Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

So what are we discussing next, cause this is getting nowhere....well it's gonna lead to bitching about the tone of the series...and I really don't want that...

31 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

The best kind of Eggman is the kind that can and will cause catastrophes and ruin peoples lives and leave them bleeding/crying, but will do it not with an evil laugh, not with cold sterility, but giggling like an innocent schoolgirl, or doing a massive dance number with confetti and cheerleaders while the world burns beneath him. The man that looks innocent and goofy, acts innocent and goofy, but the characters don't treat him as innocent, because he's not.

Reveal hidden contents

The kind of person who threatens to take a girl off of life support to keep her and her sister working for him when she's dying anyway, and does so while cracking puns and grinning to his ears.

The kind that slowly grows angrier and angrier talking through a sentence only to reveal that he isn't actually mad at all, but proceeds to then cut a teenage girl open and replace her organs with cybernetics

Eggman as written by Ian Flynn

That's the best Eggman. The others are great, there is no bad version of Eggman, but that version is best.

I can't really agree with the spoilered stuff (if that's the sort of thing that goes on in the Archie Comics, then I'm kind of glad I'm not a fan), but I like the rest of your post.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Tara said:

Incidentally, is that spoiled Archie text something recent or was that from the pre-reboot series?

Current continuity. It's Cassia and Clove's backstory.

15 hours ago, SSF1991 said:
On 20/02/2016 at 2:24 PM, Scar said:
Classic case of the fanbase creating spectres from nothing.

Are you implying that the fanbase is haunted? Because if so, I'm calling the Ghostbusters.

And Knuckles.

Yes. The franchise is indeed haunted. Haunted by incompetence and negligence (among other things)....

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Just now, Zaysho said:

Ah, okay.  If it were pre-reboot I would have dismissed it as a relic of the time the comics just sort of lost their minds, but I guess I can't do that now. XD

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Zaysho said:

Ah, my bad. Don't follow Archie. Spoilered my quote now. 

5 minutes ago, Scar said:

Yes. The franchise is indeed haunted. Haunted by incompetence and negligence (among other things)....

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

The word is "fanbase " not "franchise ".....

https://45.media.tumblr.com/2322b95d33f6739df535175172eb6adf/tumblr_o0tv8wDud81ttu8odo1_540.gif

Never make the mistake again~ Teehee~

14 minutes ago, Tara said:

Ah, okay.  If it were pre-reboot I would have dismissed it as a relic of the time the comics just sort of lost their minds, but I guess I can't do that now. XD

I missed the second part in that spoiler, but the first part sounded more like Cassia and Clove. The second one oddly sounds like what happened when he restored Lien-Da, but I could be wrong. I'm behind a bit on the current book.

But I suppose I'm veering off a bit now...

12 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

The word is "fanbase " not "franchise ".....

15 minutes ago, Scar said:

No, that's definitely a problem with the franchise, not the fanbase. The fanbase isn't without its own issues, granted, but we're not responsible for SEGA's poor handling of the series itself.

The second spoilered part is what happened to Mecha-Sally though, and that was only in like 2012. But it was a lot more subtle than what I said, don't take this to mean I'm trying to make Eggman out as a nazi scientist horror villain, because they never stated it outright and it was still fixed at the end, but that doesn't change that it was something he did with cheerful music in his lab and a smile on his face and I love him for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

The second spoilered part is what happened to Mecha-Sally though, and that was only in like 2012. But it was a lot more subtle than what I said, don't take this to mean I'm trying to make Eggman out as a nazi scientist horror villain, because they never stated it outright and it was still fixed at the end, but that doesn't change that it was something he did with cheerful music in his lab and a smile on his face and I love him for it.

Ah right. My bad. Though it's less that he gutted Sally than he modified her post-roboticization (too bad it all got tossed into a void, but what are you going to do?).

I love phrasing things to make them sound really fucking intense, though. They don't actually imply what he did, but it's implied that he basically roboticized her heart, since the normal process only puts a casing around the organic material.

He still took a blowtorch to her face, though. That part isn't bullshitted around with at all.

I'm confused. How did me joking that the fanbase is haunted because it creates spectres turn into a debate on who is responsible for incompetence and negligence? XD

3 minutes ago, Hero said:

About eggman, why haven't we seen more of the aftermath of all the lives he's supposedly ruined? I mean sure we can all just look and point to how he fucked the moon up and whatnot but they've never really shown someone who's been genuinely screwed over by him. 

I guess it helps keep him looking harmless, but I'd like to see someone who represents the aftermath of his actions appear in the games. It'd be interesting to see how he'd react to them. 

Because, even back in the Adventure era, the series is pretty much like a cartoon. Sure, in real life there would be serious consequences to Eggman unleashing a water monster on a city, blowing a chunk out of the moon or splitting the planet apart, but, when watching a cartoon or playing a video game about something like, say, a blue hedgehog and a fat scientist, you don't really want to get into real world consequences of the characters' mayhem. You just want to get to the fun stuff.

1 minute ago, Hero said:

About eggman, why haven't we seen more of the aftermath of all the lives he's supposedly ruined? I mean sure we can all just look and point to how he fucked the moon up and whatnot but they've never really shown someone who's been genuinely screwed over by him.

Because that's completely the wrong tone for the series. The Sonic series, at least most of the time, is one where good wins unambiguously. Some stuff gets smashed, some people get put in danger, but ultimately everyone makes it out ok (usually). Stopping to examine the serious, tragic implications of a city being flooded or a chunk of the moon being blasted away doesn't fit the tone or intent of the series.

• Thumbs Up 7

22 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I missed the second part in that spoiler, but the first part sounded more like Cassia and Clove. The second one oddly sounds like what happened when he restored Lien-Da, but I could be wrong. I'm behind a bit on the current book.

But I suppose I'm veering off a bit now...

No, that's definitely a problem with the franchise, not the fanbase. Not that the fanbase isn't without its own issues, but we're not responsible for SEGA's poor handling of the series itself.

Well the fanbase is about 20/30% responsible for post-Adventure/pre-2008/post-2010.

SA2

Heroes

ShTH

Unleashed only having one playable character

The EXISTENCE of that thing called, Sonic Colors

Lost Worlds

All of those have atleast fan based input or was made because of multiple fans having a complaint about prev Sonic games. Yeah it's SEGA's fault for listening to bias fan bitching instead of a grabbing only the few that have anything to do with each other.

But I like those games(NOT COLORS) so, meh....

7 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Because that's completely the wrong tone for the series. The Sonic series, at least most of the time, is one where good wins unambiguously. Some stuff gets smashed, some people get put in danger, but ultimately everyone makes it out ok (usually). Stopping to examine the serious, tragic implications of a city being flooded or a chunk of the moon being blasted away doesn't fit the tone or intent of the series.

There's nothing wrong with pondering the implications. I think you're pressing far too hard with your "It's a cartoon, it's lighthearted! Stop trying to make it serious! Don't think about it!" arguments...

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I do have to agree the fanbase is somewhat responsible in terms of accepting mediocre games and settling for less. It says to Sonic Team that making mediocre games is OK.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

There's nothing wrong with pondering the implications. I think you're pressing far too hard with your "It's a cartoon, it's lighthearted! Stop trying to make it serious! Don't think about it!" arguments...

I'm not stopping anyone from thinking about it, I'm explaining why the series itself does not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also folks, yes, I mixed up passive and pacifist, that was my bad.

My gist was he takes too much crap basically and does little about it.

And again, when the fights over, it's "I'm blasting off again!!" making a villain that's already an unbearable joke, an even worse one.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's not that "it's a cartoon!", it's that it's Sonic. Sonic has it's own specific tone written for it's kind of series. 

3 minutes ago, Detective Mikgenes said:

Well, I do have to agree the fanbase is somewhat responsible in terms of accepting mediocre games and settling for less. It says to Sonic Team that making mediocre games is OK.

Not what I was getting at, but ...o...k I guess?

5 hours ago, Detective Mikgenes said:

Well, Eggman isn't meant to be a ultra serious villain in the first place. He's not the Joker, sometimes he can be a stupid fatass we all laugh at and at most times he can be threatening.  

Especially in the Genesis games. He was an adorable, silly villain

1 hour ago, Detective Hogfather said:

....And how is he even remotely a pacifist in Sonic Boom?

I don't know, you tell me, because that's basically exactly the exact damned opposite of what I just said.