Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

33 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

My point still stands. I just used pokemon as a comparsion. Like I was saying who cares if the ages reset, there's no point in making a big deal about it.

Well, nobody's really making a big deal of it.

Cept for, well, Mr. Waka. lol

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Well, nobody's really making a big deal of it.

Cept for, well, Mr. Waka. Waka

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

Waiiiiiiiit a...

Dude... My brains on shut down mode...

Da fudge...?

While we've got numbers in the air, if Sonic is a teen... Why does he target only kids now when, being a teen, he should, you know... Kind of cater to them in a better way as well...? Sides, most teens hate little kids.

Well this quote of yours came as a result of...

2 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

You sure it's not the other way around? =P

CS.thumb.png.197b20bb6df8ec06c1eff3885f2modern-sonic-15.png.87f45c6b873f1737a3cf

So care to explain

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

Well this quote of yours came as a result of...

So care to explain

Yeah, that's not making a big deal out of it. It's being caught by surprise granted, but it's not making a big deal out of it like OMAGHURD for instance.

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Waiiiiiiiit a...

Dude... My brains on shut down mode...

Da fudge...?

While we've got numbers in the air, if Sonic is a teen... Why does he target only kids now when, being a teen, he should, you know... Kind of cater to them in a better way as well...? Sides, most teens hate little kids.

Think that's bad?  Take a look at Charmy:

56c7bcab460f0_CharmyBlurb1.thumb.png.23e

56c7bdd7d5834_CharmyBlurb2.thumb.png.6d4

What the hell happened here!?  This was mentioned in passing during that 2008 SSR Birthday Clusterf**k

• Thumbs Up 2

Regarding the whole "Legacy Sonic" thing (not sure why this is still a thing in the first place)...

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/06/10/aaron-webber-mario-sonic-rio-2016-is-like-what-we-call-modern-sonic/

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/06/10/aaron-webber-legacy-sonic-isnt-a-new-thing/

We still refer to the three lines as Classic, Modern, and Boom, though we also know that to many people, it’s just “Sonic”. But for most of us, as fans who have been with the franchise for many years, we spot the differences immediately.

So, please don’t worry! “Legacy Sonic” isn’t a new thing.

I bet it's something done with licensing for merchandise, similar to how games get code names during development.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

1. Sonic isn't targeted strictly towards kids.

2. Sonic is a video character... meaning he isn't real

In fact, how would he know that he is a video game character and that kids play his games?

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Regarding the whole "Legacy Sonic" thing (not sure why this is still a thing in the first place)...

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/06/10/aaron-webber-mario-sonic-rio-2016-is-like-what-we-call-modern-sonic/

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/06/10/aaron-webber-legacy-sonic-isnt-a-new-thing/

I bet it's something done with licensing for merchandise, similar to how games get code names during development.

I call him as those on top call him, not a PR man. People GREATLY overestimate Aaron's power/words. Yeah he's popular, but what he says Sonic is, well, it's completely irrelevant when those above keep saying otherwise constantly.

34 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

it's completely irrelevant when those above keep saying otherwise constantly.

Except they haven't. And the "Legacy Sonic" bit only happened once. There is absolutely no reason why this should still be a thing.

And considering the whole point of PR is being the voice of the company you're promoting, I'd say his words have a lot of relevence.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Except they haven't. And the "Legacy Sonic" bit only happened once. There is absolutely no reason why this should still be a thing.

And considering the whole point of PR is being the voice of the company you're promoting, I'd say his words have a lot of relevence.

I still say that's ridiculous, putting such faith in the words of PR. It's getting to the point of a religious faith in the man.

Keep in mind we've just had the new Pixel Sonic title come into the picture, so yes, despite Webber's words the company is clearly interested in re-titling the different versions of Sonic be it for marketing or identity purposes in general.

2 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

I don't think you understand what the role of a community manager is.

To be a bridge of sorts between the consumers and the company, yet at the same time he doesn't control the company. He is the feedback guy, nothing more nothing less at the end of the day. He carries along issues and everyone hopes they get fixed. That's it. How the company itself interprets the PR's messages is another thing entirely as well.

Also keep in mind he's western PR, made even more complicated by being USA based PR. Therein lies an issue with SoJ right there.

I'm not sure what all this name confusion even matters, anyway. Even if we knew exactly what term Sega is using for each Sonic, getting any meaningful information out of that is like reading tea leaves.

• Thumbs Up 6

I just call them Sonic and leave it at that. I don't really understand why we are having this discussion about names anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Detective Mikgenes said:

I just call them Sonic and leave it at that. I don't really understand why we are having this discussion about names anyway. 

Because this is the 25th anniversary thread, and we have literally nothing else related to the topic to talk about right now.

• Thumbs Up 4

This is such a minor issue, but I just want to say that I think 16 was consistently given as Sonic's canon age in the classic era, and sometime in the modern era they just changed it to 15 for some reason. I also heard that Knuckles' age was given at 15 back then and then sometime in the modern era it got changed to 15, so maybe they got mixed up :P

18 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

This is such a minor issue, but I just want to say that I think 16 was consistently given as Sonic's canon age in the classic era, and sometime in the modern era they just changed it to 15 for some reason. I also heard that Knuckles' age was given at 15 back then and then sometime in the modern era it got changed to 15, so maybe they got mixed up :P

Sonic pulled a superman and reversed the planets time by a year.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Or someone made a choice without consent of others.

Cause where in the hell did the fans get the idea classic Sonic was 10? Clearly it was said somewhere.

EDIT:in Sonic CD, since Amy is 8 that means Sonic is 11 or in his last moments as 10 since Amy is 12 and Sonic is 15 in modern. In Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Knuckles is 15 making Sonic 14, although It can be argue Knuckles is 11 mainly cause Sonic 3&K happens directly after Sonic 2. When the Dreamcast Era began, he was officially 15 since then. Don't trust the US manuals about Mobius and other crap they write, don't trust the cartoons or Archie comics. They all are a different universe. Although as for Sonic 4, I honestly have no idea. It's said it is a sequel to Sonic 3 and Knuckles and a prequel to Sonic Adventures so i think he is between 10 and 15.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

In the Japanese version of Sonic Jam, Sonic's age is listed as "15 ~ 16" and Knuckles is 15
In the US version, Sonic's age is listed as just 16 (and Knuckles is still 15)

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Fans basically wanted the Classic design, and it really wasn't any different than it is now - same character, different visual design. I don't think anything's different now than it was before Generations, except that Generations finally put into place the concept that Classic Sonic is younger Sonic. 

But seriously, it was nuts - the Sega Forums were like a political manifesto with everyone's signatures containing bumper stickers begging Sega to either replace Modern Sonic with Classic Sonic or to give players an option to play as Classic Sonic in Sonic 4.

Dark times. Ken Balough took it like a man, if you could truly imagine that. 

Well. That could explain why I had withdrawn from the Sega Forums in 2010. I didn't return until 2015! XD

6 hours ago, MudHunter said:

Screenshot_20160220-102518.png

Oh, thank goodness. I was half-expecting this

4 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Well. That could explain why I had withdrawn from the Sega Forums in 2010. I didn't return until 2015! XD

I hardly even use the SEGA forums anymore

17 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Fans basically wanted the Classic design, and it really wasn't any different than it is now - same character, different visual design. I don't think anything's different now than it was before Generations, except that Generations finally put into place the concept that Classic Sonic is younger Sonic. 

But seriously, it was nuts - the Sega Forums were like a political manifesto with everyone's signatures containing bumper stickers begging Sega to either replace Modern Sonic with Classic Sonic or to give players an option to play as Classic Sonic in Sonic 4.

Dark times. Ken Balough took it like a man, if you could truly imagine that. 

If I recall correctly, some guys on the SEGA forums were even complaining about the buckle on classic Sonic's shoes in Generations

EDIT: Actually, no. It was Sonic 4 and the complaints were how the buckle was gold instead of yellow... what?!

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

One of the biggest fiascoes regarding the lead-up to Sonic 4's release was that Classic Sonic wasn't the main character. My point is that they were treated as if they were separate entities before Sonic Generations was released, so I don't know why you blame Generations, a game that established them as the same being, as the catalyst for separating them when this was already an issue.

True, but the thing about Sonic 4 was that up until then, that split or difference between "classic" Sonic and "modern" Sonic wasn't really a major thing acknowledged by both the company and the fanbase, as opposed to nowadays where it's a widely recognized topic of interest. There was a distinction between the two, but it wasn't really visible outside of merchandise and maybe one or two compilations I can't recall: note how the modern design was used on compilations of the classic games, such as Mega Collection (Plus), Gems Collection, and Classic Collection. Even the original iOS ports of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 that were released prior to the TaxStealth remasters used modern Sonic artwork on their icons. Only on compilations of general Sega Genesis games (like the Sega Smash Pack for the Dreamcast, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, and the upcoming Western release of Sega 3D Classics Collection) was the Genesis design for Sonic used front and center.

That all changed with Sonic 4, when Sega used their own trumpets to talk about all about the different Sonics people want, which was further sold by the distinction about how Sonic 4 was aimed for older fans and how Sonic Colors (which was being released and promoted around the same time) in contrast were made for the younger fans. Generations coming along and establishing two depictions of Sonic in both character design and gameplay (despite the clarification that they are both the same character just separated by age) just happened to write that divide in stone.

So Generations certainly didn't start it, I don't disagree with that, but up until Sega made a huge deal about it with Sonic 4, it wasn't the major sticking point for Sonic's identity and fanbase for most of the franchise's history that it currently is seen as today.

• Thumbs Up 7