Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

The website for the Arcade version was updated a week ago, revealing the 4 secret characters to be *gasp*... Blaze, Silver, Daisy and Waluigi. They all have a Diamonds emblem, which means only one of them is available each day/week/whatever. Oh, and Metal Sonic, Vector, Donkey Kong and Bowser Jr are only available by using an Aime card (in Japan, not sure the arcade is even available elsewhere).

rioarcade.png

More interestingly, it really seems Omega, Rouge, Toad and Nabbit are coming to the Arcade version as well, which means unlike the 3DS/Wii U game they won't be event restricted here. Could these four have been the originally intended newcomers for Rio, before the developers went overboard with characters? As of Sochi, the Sonic side was missing a Power character (=Omega) and an All-Around Type (would work for Rouge) while the Mario series was missing a Speed character (clearly Nabbit) and a Skill character (Toad).

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, not totally buying the idea that they were the original additions. If it was originally them but they added a ton more later, why was Toad outright removed as a playable from the 3DS version? 

Well, I've almost complete the story on 3DS. Pretty damn fun though. (I mean, Javelin was hell for me, but otherwise good... a part from that circling the circle pad really fast... I swear I almost broke my finger and still only came 4th.)

Rhythmic Gymnastics is my favourite at the moment. I really enjoy watching Sonic dance with a hula hoop.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll also say that the roster deal is a bit funny because Espio has basically become character #11 regardless of whatever the original intent was. 

On 18.4.2016 at 5:33 PM, Detective Reptiles said:

Eh, not totally buying the idea that they were the original additions. If it was originally them but they added a ton more later, why was Toad outright removed as a playable from the 3DS version? 

The event they put him into could have been moved to be Wii U exclusive after their decision about the roster was made. However, the way I look at it now is they simply picked four characters from the Wii U version (Omega reconfirmed!) that would round out the Types...because I totally expect them to be event-exclusive in the Arcade as well, as there is no way Nabbit will compete in Rhythmic Clubs if he's always holding his bag. They're also described as some "bonus" and aren't even hinted at in the character screen on the website. They will probably be on the character select alongside the others, but once you choose one of them there's only one or two events available. Like Nabbit for 100m Dash (maybe +110m Hurdles/4x100m Relay), Omega for Javelin Throw (maybe +Hammer Throw), and no idea about Toad and Rouge (seriously, with her being in a different event each version and having animations for her prior rival roles they could as well have made her fully playable).

Also, regarding Espio, there is no character "order" yet. The 3DS character screen is based on Road to Rio, where it was a not very difficult decision of having either Espio or Eggman Nega unlockable, and they put him next to Vector instead of Cream or Omega. Rouge would not be last on the screen if the Golf event wasn't on the final Road to Rio day. And if you're going by the Wii U intro, then Boom Boom would be the eleventh character on the Mario side. However, I am interested in how they will order the full roster via emblems or stickers in the final game...if they will. The last time they did was in London 2012 with the London Party Stickers.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:20 AM, ElegantSonic said:

I really enjoy watching Sonic dance with a hula hoop.

I second that notion! Nice profile pic, BTW. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SilverStarN64 said:

I second that notion! Nice profile pic, BTW. :D

Ah thanks ^_^. This is the game it's taken from anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out, all my speculation about Nabbit, Toad, Rouge and Omega being playable in the Arcade version was unnecessary because they're actually rivals for bonus events. The only one available at the moment is 4x100m Relay where you have to beat Toad who is a Skill Type.

ToadRioarcade.png

The Dream Events have been replaced by the Plus Events, which are smaller but there's more of them, basically they went with quantity over quality, definitely not a good decision.

And I totally called it about the new characters, I'm not surprised, I guess they can't program 40 characters into 17x2 events. However I'm glad they did not forget about Big and he makes some kind of appearance, even though he's mostly likely NPC.

The Dream Events have been replaced by the Plus Events, which are smaller but there's more of them, basically they went with quantity over quality, definitely not a good decision.

And I totally called it about the new characters, I'm not surprised, I guess they can't program 40 characters into 17x2 events. However I'm glad they did not forget about Big and he makes some kind of appearance, even though he's mostly likely NPC.

Eeeeeyeah, I'm none to pleased to hear about the characters locked to certain events. That alone might make me skip this one. I'm... actually quite irritated about that. I like playing all the sports as the different characters, but now I can't since you can only play as certain characters in certain events. Major buzzkill. They came so close to getting my attention, they even had boxing in the console version (a first) but... yeah, I'll bet only like, Bowser, Knuckles, DK and Zavok can play that. Want a boxing match between Wario and Eggman? Too bad, you're not getting it.

Amy will have to take her boxercise stuff from Sonic Battle elsewhere (did they seriously forget about that?)

Amy-2.gif

37 minutes ago, Gambling Idol Luka said:

Apparently the Wii U is going to have some characters only available in certain events like the 3DS version.

Also not seeing anything on Dream Events. Hrm.

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/05/04/more-information-on-mario-sonic-at-the-rio-2016-games-wii-u/

I dunno. If there aren't Dream Events I might skip this one.

I hope Espio isn't one of them. But he probably is. Such a stupid and pointless restriction.

9 minutes ago, GUN Commander said:

Eeeeeyeah, I'm none to pleased to hear about the characters locked to certain events. That alone might make me skip this one. I'm... actually quite irritated about that. I like playing all the sports as the different characters, but now I can't since you can only play as certain characters in certain events. Major buzzkill. They came so close to getting my attention, they even had boxing in the console version (a first) but... yeah, I'll bet only like, Bowser, Knuckles, DK and Zavok can play that. Want a boxing match between Wario and Eggman? Too bad, you're not getting it.

Amy will have to take her boxercise stuff from Sonic Battle elsewhere (did they seriously forget about that?)

No, only the new characters have restrictions, they are guest characters.

And apparently I'm wrong, Plus events are only for 3DS. The Wii U version has only 3 "Duel" events that are special. I don't get why the home console version is even smaller :/

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Detective Chameleon said:

No, only the new characters have restrictions, they are guest characters.

And apparently I'm wrong, Plus events are only for 3DS. The Wii U version has only 3 "Duel" events that are special. I don't get why the home console version is even smaller :/

Rouge, Eggman Nega, Espio, Zazz, Cream, Zavok, Jet, Wave, Omega... and all the others on Team Mario and anyone I might be forgetting... yeah I kinda wanted to play as those new characters, especially since alot of them haven't been seen much less playable in a while. The 3DS version be all like "You wanna play as Omega? Here, throw some javelins". And I'm like "But what if I want to do something else as Omega?" and it's like "Nope. Javelins, javelins everywhere!"

And yeah, the console version being smaller. I wonder if they didn't want to pump as much time and money into the Wii U version, install base and whatever? Just a guess don't napalm me.

Looks like I have no choice but to skip this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, I was actually sorta looking forward to the Wii-U version... that is until I saw this. I don't get, why even do this event restriction bullshit on the characters? . It's like they FINALLY give us new characters (20 more for crying out loud) but we can't really go nuts with them in whatever event we so choose, on the Wii-U version no less. It mechanics like this that really ruins the fun for me...

Also 17 events, huh? I thought they would at least shove some actual Dream Events in here but I guess not.

It's not even 40 in the Wii U version, it's less given the "over 30" estimate.

And with Mario and Sonic having emphasised importance in the Showdown Legacy mode, I wonder if the other veterans do in fact have some restrictions as well.

Although there are still limitations, at least we get the original characters from the previous games in each event. According to this screenshot, it looks like each event gets 6 of each hidden characters per events, while the original roster gets in. 3 additional Mario characters, and 3 additional Sonic characters. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOp_WEwEBRERzAHLBLZi7dnunKTJCzHh_wMht0CfV3SQizRmjxwvWuCX6PRcH444g/photo/AF1QipP7zCfoEUQg8vL-wrEeyhFTt-GNr5RoQL4KZlbo?key=UUdELWFsSEdyNFdmQ0puVFZSN1k4M3VHWjdmZkt3

It's still a shame that there aren't more, but at least it guarantees that the hidden characters won't be limited to just one event. I wonder who else will get to play Volleyball? One will probably be Roy, since he was the guest character for that stage in the 3ds version, I hope Rosalina and Birdo are the other choices. For Sonic's side, it's already confirmed that Rouge will be on it, and Cream will likely be on it, since she was playable in the 3ds volleyball event. I hope Sticks fills in that third spot. I'll be sad if Sticks is only playable in archery, since it really didn't feel like you were controlling her in that event. 

8 hours ago, Omega Pipe said:

Y'know, I was actually sorta looking forward to the Wii-U version... that is until I saw this. I don't get, why even do this event restriction bullshit on the characters? . It's like they FINALLY give us new characters (20 more for crying out loud) but we can't really go nuts with them in whatever event we so choose, on the Wii-U version no less. It mechanics like this that really ruins the fun for me...

Also 17 events, huh? I thought they would at least shove some actual Dream Events in here but I guess not.

Maybe they're trying to bait DLC?

Not events, characters. There are 40 characters in the 3DS version (41 if you include Mii). Wii U version is estimated for over 30, which would be odd to go with if it was 40+.

Wait, does that imply even further that Birdo isn't playable since she's with the NPCs?

1 hour ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Wait, does that imply even further that Birdo isn't playable since she's with the NPCs?

Well it would line up with the "30+ characters" bit from before.

I still can't believe the console version has less than the handheld version. This is about as insane as Gerald Robotnik when he found out his granddaughter got shot. There had better be DLC plans (not like all that much is coming to Wii U later this year anyway, so they may as well if they can swing it)

Will the Wii U version actually be bigger than the 3DS version, even with less playable characters and events, and the lack of a story mode?

I doubt we'd get characters added to other events as paid DLC, maybe via patch, though. Maybe new characters and Dream Events.

That being said, with the characters being available in more events, at least there's more options for them than on 3DS, where most of them are only available in 1 event and the original characters barring Mario and Sonic are only available in 1 a piece.

I don't really see DLC happening, but I guess its possible. Patches, sure, I can easily see that.

On 5/4/2016 at 3:35 PM, SpongicX said:

Maybe they're trying to bait DLC?

If it were for the Dream Events, then maybe I guess but they have been seemingly replaced by the Plus Events. But for the characters as playable then... possibly no. Although I don't see a reason for them to make DLC for that though. Really, I just don't know.